test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If they DO increase the level cap...?

kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
What new skills for Ground and Space will we be given to invest in?

What will tier 6 ships look like?

How will the devs fill 10 more levels of content?
Post edited by kiloace on

Comments

• kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maybe they'll go the swtor way and only do 5 lvls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If I remember correctly there won't be T6 ships as that would render all ships people buy right now obsolete and Cryptic doesn't want to go there, yet.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is the fascination with raising level cap? Top-end gear is already blowing through every piece of content in the game, and nobody who invested in current end-game gear is going to want to have their treasures turned into junk.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is a problem, because all the sudden all that fleet gear you grinded forever for is no longer the best stuff, all your stuff, instantly rendered sub-par. Which means grinding all over again. I foresee many angry people.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, no increase to the level cap, not without automatically upgrading peoples' existing gear. Increasing the level cap and leaving it at that is just ASKING for fan rage.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is the fascination with raising level cap? Top-end gear is already blowing through every piece of content in the game, and nobody who invested in current end-game gear is going to want to have their treasures turned into junk.
    There is a good thing with level cap increase, and it's very useful for that purpose. With a level cap increase, you "reset" the power creep, and bring everyone and everything back to 0. New gear and new foes makes the old gear useless.
    Considering the current state of the game (*cough* Scimitar, Rom BOFF, A2B+DEM), that wouldn't be so bad.
    It is a problem, because all the sudden all that fleet gear you grinded forever for is no longer the best stuff, all your stuff, instantly rendered sub-par. Which means grinding all over again. I foresee many angry people.
    This is the biggest problem. Nobody, including myself, want to have his/her beloved ship gone. Some of them costing a lot of $ or grind. Nobody want to have to restart spending money and/or grinding to have basically the same than before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rpuma83rpuma83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really have never understood this thinking on these forums. Almost every single MMO has expansions that increase level caps with new end game gear and new skills. Does it mean that you have to work hard again to get the top shineys and new awesomes?? Yes of course it does. But isn't that the point? To progress the game? To give players something new to do. I love the feeling of gaining levels and new skills.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kiloace wrote: »

Enhanced Lockbox opener. +0.005% increased chance of getting a duty officer from a grab-bag.

They Won't... Introducing a new Tier of ships would be economical suicide. Also, the Tier-6 ship is an entirely player created concept...

They wont

Meh... Answers above
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think they may start giving class specific (and maybe faction specific - see my sig) skills!

I am all for a update, and I trust Cryptic to do it too! :)
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a different, story-related objection to raising the level cap. Given their past record it will mean increasing ranks to full admiral. At which point, not only are we still just glorified captains instead of people who actually act like admirals, but we will outrank literally every mission giver in the game apart from Fleet Admiral Jorel Quinn and Chancellor J'mpok.

What do you do if you want to increase level cap after that, make us fleet admiral/general of the Army? Hint: There is traditionally only one of those allowed at a time. What do you do if you want to increase the level cap again? Hint: There is no military rank after that, so what do you use, Secretary of Defense?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • zanos64zanos64 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014

By increasing the cap, the company will gain an increase in cash flow. I'm sure there will be many "old" timers that get ticked that heir "elite" gear is now just above average gear.
    So some may quit, while others will pony up the time to grind out enough currency to re-gear their ships to "elite" status again.

Even single MMO I've played has always expanded and revamped the elite gear. It keeps the game fresh, the players grinding, and cash flowing to the company. When a MMO gets stale, thats when content/expansions stop occurring and there are more max capped/equipped players then fresh young under equipped players.
    And the game is near being shuttered.
  • zanos64zanos64 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I have a different, story-related objection to raising the level cap. Given their past record it will mean increasing ranks to full admiral. At which point, not only are we still just glorified captains instead of people who actually act like admirals, but we will outrank literally every mission giver in the game apart from Fleet Admiral Jorel Quinn and Chancellor J'mpok.

What do you do if you want to increase level cap after that, make us fleet admiral/general of the Army? Hint: There is traditionally only one of those allowed at a time. What do you do if you want to increase the level cap again? Hint: There is no military rank after that, so what do you use, Secretary of Defense?

There is another option, drop the ranking system.

Next expansion/level cap:

"Congratulations, after spending so long, and working so hard in your career, we are pleased to announce your retirement. Go forth and live long and prosper".

At which point you loose access to Star Fleet/KDF items. Now you are a Privateer. Meaning you have to repaint your ship to show it's "retired status. Also you are able to buy "black market" ships and gear.
    For example a former Federation officer could in theory buy a KDF ship and equip it with Ferngie weapons. You'd also be able to mix and match interiors.
    Maybe take it one step further, you unlock a black market ship builder. Now you get to design your ship to look like anything you want, even the interior.

But that is just my thought. Forced retirement and living the life of a free lance merc/privateer. Maybe even working for section 31.
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the biggest 2 thing that i want to see with level cap increase are.

1# no new tiers of ships.

2# be able to operate a person battle wings or battle groups of up to the player main ship and 4 supporting ships. each of the supporting ships can be commanded my a with an officer of lt and higher ranks with the option of having a possible captain assigned to each supporting ship in the play admiral's battle wing or group. i would like the option of having no captains on each of the 4 supporting ship in the players admiral battle wing
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Agreed.

If this were to happen it could only go one way as I can see it, and that would be added full command features and skills that do not exist yet in game. Like for example the rumoured idea of having Boffs command lesser vessels in your collection and so on.
    edited January 2014
    zanos64 wrote: »
    By increasing the cap, the company will gain an increase in cash flow. I'm sure there will be many "old" timers that get ticked that heir "elite" gear is now just above average gear.
    So some may quit, while others will pony up the time to grind out enough currency to re-gear their ships to "elite" status again.

Even single MMO I've played has always expanded and revamped the elite gear. It keeps the game fresh, the players grinding, and cash flowing to the company. When a MMO gets stale, thats when content/expansions stop occurring and there are more max capped/equipped players then fresh young under equipped players.

Cryptic has a different model. They make most of their money off of lockbox key sales (both from people who want the new lockbox shinies and from folks who just want to convert them to scads of EC via the Exchange). And they still find time to give us new content playable by anyone for free.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited January 2014
    zanos64 wrote: »
    There is another option, drop the ranking system.
    That's what I've been saying all along: They should've left it at captain and not tied levels to it.
    Next expansion/level cap:

"Congratulations, after spending so long, and working so hard in your career, we are pleased to announce your retirement. Go forth and live long and prosper".

At which point you loose access to Star Fleet/KDF items. Now you are a Privateer. Meaning you have to repaint your ship to show it's "retired status. Also you are able to buy "black market" ships and gear.
    For example a former Federation officer could in theory buy a KDF ship and equip it with Ferngie weapons. You'd also be able to mix and match interiors.
    Maybe take it one step further, you unlock a black market ship builder. Now you get to design your ship to look like anything you want, even the interior.

But that is just my thought. Forced retirement and living the life of a free lance merc/privateer. Maybe even working for section 31.

Oh, that's what you meant. :D No thanks. I got into this game to play a Starfleet captain. Oh, and since your ship is not your property, but rather the property of the Federation, why do you get to keep it?

You want to do that? There's a little thing you may have heard of called roleplaying.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some people want to be more than just a captain. They want to have some meaning to being a Vice Admiral which means having your own npc fleet which will fight with you and able to send them on missions similar to the duty officer system. As far as level cap increases go, getting to Admiral and doing such content would be the only point to a level cap increase. However, it is entirely possible to become an Admiral with the Reputation system and stay level 50. The Reputation system makes level cap increases pointless. So if the devs want to make us Admirals like they have mentioned, they can do it through a level cap increase or through a Reputation system.

With an Admiral system, it would allow us to use our currently unused ships so anything up to Tier 5.5 could be commanded by our promoted bridge officers while Tier 6 ships would be limited to Admirals to be their flagships. This would allow our current ships to be of some use if the devs implement Tier 6 ships. The devs have mentioned that the Typhoon ship if it is added would be piloted by Admirals so it would likely be a Tier 6 ship if it is ever added.

Of course if the devs do a level cap increase, then there must be some way to upgrade our equipment especially Reputation equipment. This can be achieved through a project similar to the initial Nukara set where we registered our equipment for marks, but with a few additional project requirements or an automatic upgrade like what the devs did with the Borg set where they upgraded it from Mk X to Mk XI.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Horizontal expansion solves that problem better than treadmilling the game even more. Seriously the thing that that players people complain the most is grinding, and yet there are constant new threads inisisting what the game really needs is even more and longer grinding. And throwing long-time known-paying customers overboard is reasonable cost of doing that. It is to lol
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Horizontal expansion solves that problem better than treadmilling the game even more.

THIS.

Horizontal expansion is a good thing. Give us a new faction (seriously, I wants a Jem'Hadar character, big-time), new enemies (GIMME SOME ICONIANS TO SHOOT PLS), and a way to ease the grind (thank you, Battlezone!). Just no vertical expansion, because that will make the players go NERDRAGE.

Skip the level cap increase, give us a Dominion faction for the big expansion. Please.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We need better AI before they even add more levels.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    We need better AI before they even add more levels.

That's if we last beyond 5 years, respectfully.:eek:
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guys, there will never be a raising of the level cap. The devs replaced levelling with the Reputation System. That was their original justification for it: a new way to gain skills and abilities and "better" gear without increasing in level.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For what possible reason would a level cap increase be more desirable than new, more challenging content, or a fleet command mechanic involving captain boffs?

Stop these silly threads already...
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just wont my number 1 to fly one of the meny ships i dont use behind me so i feell more like the in game rank no new rank of skills but more points to put in the skills we all ready have would be nice
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I thought the rep systems were IN PLACE of raising the level cap? NO to T6 ships! I've had enough grinding to get the ones I have already. There wouldn't be enough of a raise in stats to justify getting one.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    kyuzos7 wrote: »
    maybe they'll go the swtor way and only do 5 lvls.

May I ask where that picture came from in your sig? I think I've seen that actress before, but for the life of me I can't remember where... Now it's going to bug me because I can't remember. Was it a movie or webesoid of some kind?
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Horizontal expansion solves that problem better than treadmilling the game even more. Seriously the thing that that players people complain the most is grinding, and yet there are constant new threads inisisting what the game really needs is even more and longer grinding. And throwing long-time known-paying customers overboard is reasonable cost of doing that. It is to lol

You've confused me here. Are you saying you want more grind? Or are you saying you want something else? Not trying to be a smartA&*, please explain.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    I thought the rep systems were IN PLACE of raising the level cap? NO to T6 ships! I've had enough grinding to get the ones I have already. There wouldn't be enough of a raise in stats to justify getting one.

This was released in November 2012 so just after Season 7 with the Romulan and Omega Reputation systems came out.

"Q: (cbp4964) Will we ever be able to send out bridge officers off on separate missions, or have them accompany us to battle in ships we assign them from our own selection?

Dstahl: We have some pretty awesome plans for when we increase ranks to Admiral level 60 which make good use of your bridge officers, ships, and crew. We ultimately want full Admirals to command their fleets. You?ll have to wait until at least Season 9 to get more details though."

Dan Stahl specifically mentions that they plan to increase the rank to Admiral 60 after Season 7 came out. The Ask Cryptic came out on November 23 while Season 7 came out on November 13. So even though we have a perfectly good horizontal progression system that just came out when the Ask Cryptic was released, the devs were still going for the level cap increase at that point in time. The plans might have changed since it was a year ago, but until a dev mentions that these plans have been changed, then we have to assume that they are still working on it.
    edited January 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    You've confused me here. Are you saying you want more grind? Or are you saying you want something else? Not trying to be a smartA&*, please explain.

Sounds more like they are just giving the opinions of other players. These players want less grind while this other group of players want more grind. I don't think ursus mentioned what group they are in.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Hopefully, they'll be more original with it than they were with LoR. I was rather disappointed by them simply tossing you into the middle of one factions storyline once you choose one. I would've thought they'd put a little more effort into it.