test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worst game you've ever played?

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Worst MMO for me is hands down Neverwinter. Such garbage.

Single player game would have to go to Superman 64.

Bethesda games are pretty much junk unless you mod them up. I found Skyrim to be pretty bad, but once I put in around 20gb worth of mods it was pretty good lol. I would agree though that the vanilla games are pretty bad.

star trek legacy was pretty dire as well, even modded.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Read the title.

SWTOR

SWTOR was pretty bad. But I had worse ones. In terms of MMORPGs, the worst I have had were both in 2008.

Warhammer Online - Quite a bit of hype in this game. Balance became obvious when it heavily favored Damage, specifically the nukers. Customization was practically nonexistent. Realm vs Realm PVP across the game map with areas of control and stuff was supposed to be the draw. The mechanics for it WERE in the game. The problem for it was that the developers introduced instance PVP maps with worthwhile rewards, and killed the world PVP outright. Left within the first 2 months never to look back.

Age of Conan - Oh man. The hype was strong with this one, and the hype train was gargantuan. The only fandom I had of the IP were the old Arnold Schwarzenneger movies. With that in mind, I acknowledged that the original IP was probably different from the 1980s movies. I was fine with ***'s setting. I was fine with the great artwork and style, though I do discredit Funcom for promoting a very adult themed game and promo artwork, but everything in the game was covered up as if we were Amish. What killed this game was the insane number of bugs and the incomplete nature of the game as far as MMORPGs go. I remember having my character (main was Ranger) hitting abilities, and they'd do 1 of 2 things:
    - Go into cooldown and do nothing.
    - Do absolutely nothing. No cooldown, no buff, no debuffs, no effects, not even a cooldown.

Another jarring thing for me and quite a number of people was the first experience of playing a server that had multiple instances of the same area on the same server. This was confusing as hell because the standard of MMORPGs until that time was several servers but 1 instance of each server. It was a bit of a mess organizing groups at the time.

The game had a fabulous character creation that puts alot of games of the MMORPG market to shame. There were also many, many people at release. But all that potential was lost. I remember the official forums had fans in charge that pretty much did outright to brush aside or remove any criticism or harsh bug report with the game. Some of the issues brought up were bonafide trolling, but a whole lot were major problems confirmed, but again, that information was buried or removed. They had people basically playing Ostrich. Bury your head in the ground and the problems no longer existed!

I did go back to *** to check it out about 1-1.5 years after leaving, after the game switched to F2P. But the game was a ghost town. I remember the release days and running into people all the time. Part of the fun of MMORPGs, esp. on the release, was the sheer number of people all trying something new together. Those were fun days in any MMORPG, *** it also, but when it became how obvious the game was not ready and broken, and how things weren't getting fixed, everybody bailed, including myself.

*** by far, even to this day, was the biggest disappointment in MMORPGs I've experienced.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Age of Conan - Oh man. The hype was strong with this one, and the hype train was gargantuan. The only fandom I had of the IP were the old Arnold Schwarzenneger movies. With that in mind, I acknowledged that the original IP was probably different from the 1980s movies. I was fine with ***'s setting. I was fine with the great artwork and style, though I do discredit Funcom for promoting a very adult themed game and promo artwork, but everything in the game was covered up as if we were Amish. What killed this game was the insane number of bugs and the incomplete nature of the game as far as MMORPGs go. I remember having my character (main was Ranger) hitting abilities, and they'd do 1 of 2 things:
    - Go into cooldown and do nothing.
    - Do absolutely nothing. No cooldown, no buff, no debuffs, no effects, not even a cooldown.

Pitch Pots. lolololololololol (I was a Ranger too :P)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh, yes...Age of Conan...I played for like a week. And then I realized that it was AWFUL.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Bethesda games have already been mentioned. Still seething from that letdown. :mad:

Add to the list pretty much any early Nintendo game based on a movie. Were any of them worth a ****? I still remember renting Total Recall, thinking "what the funk? :mad:" after ten minutes.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    EVE, though I'm kind of torn on that. It is a giant gankfest but it does have some cool mechanics.

J.U.L.I.A. - just bought this yesterday with a gift card. I thought it was going to be a space shooter or something, but turns out it's just some puzzles with a space wrapper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Alpha Protocol

Funny, I actually quite enjoyed that one.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Perfect Dark Zero
    LOTR Conquest
    LEGO Batman
    Every Madden game from 2005 to 2013
    Armada II
    Every Civilization after II
    Diablo III
    Neverwinter
    RaiderZ
    CoD Black Ops II
    NES Gilligan's Island
    NES Bigfoot Racing
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Plumbers don't wear ties.

Easy choice, no contest at all. That game is the worst game I have ever played. It is so bad, it is beyond "so bad, it's good". It is just bad.
    I need a beer.

• sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I recently bought Elite Force 2 after getting lucky and finding one at a reasonable price. Played a couple missions, haven't touched it since. And I'm normally rather patient/forgiving with games.

Now, I won't say that it's the worst I've played, but spending every mission being chased by swarms of monsters just isn't what I was looking for. I'll probably eventually do what I would normally never do: go back on the easiest setting and blaze through it just to see if the game as a whole is any good.

Another game which I wanted to like yet couldn't - an rts called Empire Earth 2. Since they couldn't come up with a smart AI, they would instead just send giant blobs after you. And due to their their strict rock/paper/scissors design, the composition of the blob you sent back would depend entirely on what units your opponent had. The first game has its own issues, such as the AI didn't need resources for anything, but I at least had fun with it. And the modding community! Still going strong for such an old game.

And Star Ocean 4. I found far too much that I didn't like with it. Grindy beyond reason, annoying characters, Miss "Rain Death Upon All Enemies" yet has no self esteem...
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Perfect Dark Zero
    LOTR Conquest
    LEGO Batman
    Every Madden game from 2005 to 2013
    Armada II
    Every Civilization after II
    Diablo III
    Neverwinter
    RaiderZ
    CoD Black Ops II
    NES Gilligan's Island
    NES Bigfoot Racing

If you liked armada 1 then get fleet ops. It is a very good and free game supposing you still have the armada 2 disc.

Worst ever? Farmville.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
    edited December 2013
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't know if it the worst game but the only one I have ever intentionally uninstalled because I was sick to the back teeth of bugs was Crysis on the PC. Most I just get bored with and trade in for something, but Crysis had very annoying bugs on practically every level to the point I just go sick of patching it.

Thing is I brought a different episode of the game on the PS3 which gave me this game as well and it played OK on that platform, the problem then was that by then my judgement of the game was biased because of my earlier experience on the PC so I didn't enjoy it then either.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just remembered one that I'd managed to repress memories of due to how frustrating it was. But I don't remember the title. It was one of the Spyro games for GBA. Why is it so frustrating? Pits o'death that you have to do precisely timed jumps to clear. And that's just a regular part of the world maps. then there's a weird issue with the graphics that makes it hard to tell if you can clear a jump when moving down.... Ugh.... so frustrating I quit before I was even half done.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    YEs Superman 64 was horrible. But what about the Dreamcast's title: Seaman. With Leonard Nimoy doing the voice over work? That was the strangest, dumbest viedo game ever. Here's a link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7IbLEPRUs.

I just love how weird that game is. Plus the the title. It is still much better than most pet sim games that are out there.

""""
    I have tried games that were literally unplayable but the first that comes to memory for just being terrible is CRUE BALL for the Sega Genesis. A Motley Crue pinball video game with 16 bit chip soundtrack. Dash Galaxy in the alien assylum for NES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash_Galaxy_in_the_Alien_Asylum. Gameboy in the 1990's had tons of stinkers.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gavshaw wrote: »
    Star Trek: Dominion War (or something titled very like that).

Buggy has hell, doesn't play smooth and a certain ship's 'special ability' did not work. The game was never properly patched. Only cost me 5 dollars and I did manage to complete the game (not that it was that long).

There are probably a few others, but that one came to mind.

Really? I asked, and got DS9:DW for Christmas, and while it is buggy, it is a fun game.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's a few...

Friday the 13th
    E.T. the Extraterrestrial
    Superman 64
    Star Wars: The Masters of Teras Kai (sp?)
    Castlevania: Judgement
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2014

XD I've seen gameplay of that, so I have to totally agree.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worse game I ever played, huh?

It would have to be an old NES game I played, called Defender of the Crown:
    http://www.freeroms.com/roms/nes/defender_of_the_crown.htm

Another is Silent Service, also for the NES:
    http://www.freeroms.com/roms/nes/silent_service.htm

For SNES, I'm afraid I have to say Star Trek: The Next Generation, just for the controls for the Enterprise Vs. Romulan battles. The D-pad controls were too slippery IMO.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Definitely STO, it keeps getting me back because I see the potential it has, everyday I hope they would fix the everlasting bugs and imbalancies but get dissapointed. I keep coming back because I have friends.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The worst game i ever played in the sense of having the largest difference between my expectations and the reality of the game was definitly and by a large margin Master of Orion 3.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Um...I guess STO to be honest.

I never buy into hype when buying games, so every one of them I pay money for tend to be great games with solid recommendations from critics and communities. I don't pre-order, I don't buy on release day and I never place any value in the IP.

But with STO since I play free I just downloaded it and jumped in blind. It's a great game certainly, I enjoy it a lot. But I suppose technically speaking it is the 'worst' in my collection.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Funny, I actually quite enjoyed that one.
    Same. Alpha Protocol is one of those awesome games that gained an unfair reputation due to bad reviews, and is one of the reasons why I consider game reviews by so-called game journalists to be useless TRIBBLE.

I don't think I've ever played a game where the choices I made throughout the game had a direct and meaningful impact on how the narrative unfolded. Oh wait, yeah I have, Witcher and Witcher 2. AP's in good company.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Read the title.

SWTOR

I have to agree with you there, SWTOR. And the reason is the amount of disappointments that game caused me and many others.

It could have been the best game, but if it had been I probably still would be over there and then I'd never had met any of you all wonderful STO nerds, nor would I have made this post.

Think about it.

Oh, and I is back ish... :)
    signwidrona.png
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,158 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For me it has to be Star Trek: The Video Game. Bad script, bad acting, in the options menu you are only limited to the amount of options you can change. One of my personal hates in games is motion blur, with this game your stuck with it whether you like it or not.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "Neverwinter MMO"
    - Does not look or feel like its from the Neverwinter series.
    - Too expensive to play.
    - Too little customization.

"Neverwinter Nights II"
    - Camera functionality prevents the game from being replayable.
    - Great story, textures, and customization.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO"
    - Extremely slow progression.
    - Free 2 Play is very limited
    - Customization is very limited.

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II"
    - Incomplete and buggy mess.
    - 'The Exile' and 'Echo' concept was dumb.
    - Horrible storyline.

"Dragon Age II"
    - Limited customization.
    - Narrow storyline.
    - Choices did not matter.
    - Third act schizophrenia.

-#################################-
    -########## "Star Trek: Online" ##########-
    -#################################-

"Star Trek: Online" Why?!?!
    Even though its a great blow off game, "Star Trek: Online" has a very boring endgame mechanic. Its an advanced version of "Farmville". You gather resources, fill projects, wait out cool down timers, and repeat. Outside of the endgame resource grinding, the purpose to buy anything is to blow off money and time. "Star Trek: Online" was built upon a solid foundation; however, the game falls apart after hitting level fifty.
    edited January 2014
    venkou wrote: »

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II"
    - Incomplete and buggy mess.
    - 'The Exile' and 'Echo' concept was dumb.
    - Horrible storyline.

Now you've reminded me of all the time I spent researching what that game could have been. The cut content, the mission(s) that explained what the deal with those HK-49's (or whatever they were called) was all about, more character development for your companions...that's what happens when publishers shove games out into the wild before giving developers time to finish the thing.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sarreous wrote: »
    Now you've reminded me of all the time I spent researching what that game could have been. The cut content, the mission(s) that explained what the deal with those HK-49's (or whatever they were called) was all about, more character development for your companions...that's what happens when publishers shove games out into the wild before giving developers time to finish the thing.
    I am not sure who to blame. LucasArts or Obsidian?!?! I just do not know.

I think both parties had serious issues.

*launches "Star Wars: The Old Republic II", Obsidian, and Lucas Arts into the sun*

*buries old bones and salts the earth*
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Orion: Dino Beatdown

Metacritic gives this a 36. I would describe this as highly generous.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmmm.

The absolute worst would be Star Trek: Borg. You walk through a corridor, a wild Borg appears, you do something weird with a phaser to try to remodulate it and bam, assimilated. Retry?

Then? Moon Breakers. No explanation, here get in that fighter and be oneshot by a lifeless dude who has been here since the beginning! He wants rewards!!!

On the third place, Dino Tycoon. It sounds so great, create your own Jurassic Park! But no, you will go broke no matter what. And the worst part? Your customers don't care for dino's but only come for the 5funfair attractions you can build.

I can't really say anything about it to be fair, but the Colonists of Catan never worked on my computer. On none of both. And not on the one of my brother. Or my father. Or my friend. Do I need to continue?

But yeah. All those games were gifts (Dino Tycoon, Colonists), F2P (Moon Breakers) or were part of a CD with Star Trek series OST (Borg). So nothing I payed for. I am usually careful about my games. I only buy during sales once I read the critics, or during Humble Bundles that contain at least 1 game I want.