What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Death of build originality?

12346»

Comments

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes the higher this number is the higher your kill number will be >.<
    The point of the thread... is power creep has effected both sides of the coin... DPS potential and HPS potential... making for a situation where you can't afford to dial either back and remain all that effective. (you can deny all you want but its the hard truth)

highlighting this, just in case this fact was missed. thats why an eng scort is ineffective
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I understand the objective technical reasons, but what I don't accept is the leap from "Your damage is not optimal in an engscort" to "you are completely useless and have doomed your team to failure." That's a bunch of juvenile histrionics, and I've played enough Arena and Capture to know that it can't always be described in such rigid absolutes. If the whole match comes down to a few thousand DPS from one player, the chances are very good that your teams weaknesses go WAY beyond some engineer daring to defy the role you would assign them.

Well then, you don't really understand the dynamics of damage creep vs heal creep that has been going on in STO lately. And flying an engiscort, you lag behind in both fronts. Like I said, there is only one area where an engiscort might excel - running around. And CnH and kerrat are the perfect places for such activity. Nobody is telling you you cannot play engiscort. But if you hope to excel in an engiscort, it can only be in a kiddie-league.
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    No. No, no, NO.

Not when some clown can spam FAW the whole time, kill nothing and still paste an insanely high DPS score from some parser into the chat window afterwards. It can't just be damage/time if you expect it to be meaningful.

Maybe, maybe if the rating is confined to a burst over a short interval, you can make the claim that it translates closely to kills.

Man you remind me of a guy nicknamed Sprinkles.

You seem to be missing / ignoring all the relevant facts posed to you to try and convince others that an engi scort is viable and has a role in the current meta game.

Pre LoR and before the advent of the vaper, my Tac temporal destroyer in premade games (where 2 capable PvP fleets challenge each other to an arena match) could put out massive burst spike of approx 130k damage in 3 secs (43k DPS) With alpha and just shy of 100k without which had a high chance of killing.
    Its the surprise burst that kills. Something which the engineer currently is incapable of doing.

If you can't understand that?.... Then oh well.

Now you can get tac scimitars spiking at over 70k DPS for a longer burst capable of killing more than 2 players at once which is starting to lead to the death of build originality as the op is stating.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edit: Never mind...
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's not quite true...well, it's not quite that simple...even as it is that simple.

For the target to die, the incoming damage needs to exceed the combination of the target's effective health and the healing they are receiving. It's that simple, definitely...

But that's where the simplicity ends.

Well yes its

IDPS vs IHPS.
    Incoming DPS... Vs Incoming HPS.

Both self and team points either way effect the TTS (Time to Spawn)

lol. :)

Of course in STO its a massive yo yo as it always has been... I guess we are saying that the Yo Yo effect both ways is so hard and fast these days... that you can't afford to be light on either... thus killing options for builds that don't deal in absolutes... which sucks cause only Siths do that I hear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited December 2013
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited December 2013
    :P
    If one just blindly tries to bruteforce damage against healing, then yeah - well - it's just that, damage vs. healing. But who does that outside of noobs in Ker'rat?

Any team that deals more damage than the other side has the ability to heal :P
    edited December 2013
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ya we get into the meta arguments every couple months or when something gets messed up in a patch. :) lol

Its always changing so there is always something to argue.

Like always its always frustrating to cause I think most of us always see that a perfect game is so darn close... remove or fix 2-3 broken mechanics and it will all fall into place... Fast forward 4-6 months... and they have fixed 2 of the 3 in a way we like... but created one or tow other issues. Its always so damn close, yet so far away. I swear force one of the smarter Cryptic guys to sit down and do nothing else for 2 weeks and this game could be perfect... so easy to fix it... no will. I love arguing with my forum friends though so I guess I should thank them. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited December 2013
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But yeah, I'm one of those flaky creative people when it comes to builds. I don't run in Premades nor even PUGmades.

I think the difference with you and us (premade players) in these conversations is that you clearly recognize what is and what is not optimal and you are perfectly fine with that.

It's when people get irked about their snowflake build and seem convinced it's just a hair shy from optimal, followed with a diatribe on why optimal is apparently not important, and sprinkled liberally with repetitive lowbrow insults that I usually get dragged into this stuff.

I know I'll never convince the hard headed, they aren't actually my audience.

My audience is anyone else who is reading and might be led to believe something that simply isn't true.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just to respond to the OP's title...

just in the less than a year I have been playing I have been watching a slow trend towards homogenization in builds.

There are two main ones most people use (bfaw beams all around, and 4 dhc/3turret variants) and about 4-6 niche ones out there.

I am seeing more and more of the first two, and much less of the others. Beyond that you rarely see anything else.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My strength and weakness is that all my builds are built around a team of 5 people who I know and trust as a team of players (a major luxury compared to most pvpers and greatful for it). I always have to adapt them to pug. So my views will always be team based.