test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The real reason for no T5 Excalibur?

Comments

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    terloki wrote: »
    Oh yes, I fly around with an Excelsior skin on my Exeter all the time. :rolleyes:

What? They are both ships that follow the design parameters of the Constitution while not being one. They have engineering hulls with two warp nacelles and a neck that connects to a saucer section. If CBS has a problem with ships that look remotely like a Constitution the Excelsior would have to go too.
    Seriously though, I think the CBS veto is the main reason they haven't done/don't seem to want to do it. I mean, we the players don't know the exact wording of what CBS said, and even beyond that just by being associated so closely with the Constitution refit it seems like they might fall into a sort of grey area of what they can and can't do, and, if their lack of action over the last three years is any indication, diving into that grey area to appease a small yet annoyingly vocal part of the fanbase isn't high on their priority list.

What you think is of absolutely no concern. If the CBS veto also for some reason affects the 3 original Cryptic designs the T2 cruiser uses they can tell us. However, they are only closely associated with the Constitution by Cryptic's game mechanics, something CBS doesn't care about, so until they specifically tell us that CBS does not want any of them at endgame you can think whatever you want. It has no bearing on the fact that Cryptic only ever told us that CBS didn't allow a T5 Constitution, therefore this "grey area" is only a fantasy of yours.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh my apologies for stating my opinion on the matter. I was unaware I wasn't supposed to do that on the forums.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    CBS vetoed the Connie for tier 5. The Excalibur is a Connie skin. It seems logical to me that the Connie veto would extend to its variants.

True.

But logic and zealots live in totally different universes.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Now that is a pretty damned nice build. I would almost certainly fly it and choose such a ship over other larger ships like the Odyssey. There is a definite unfilled niche in the game for light cruisers, especially those with a decent tactical Boff option. Nicely done.

Well thank you! I totally agree on the light cruiser gap, which is why I made that build as it is! And the layout, like I said, is to feel as universal as possible: something that seems just right for the Con- Excalibur (I almost did it, whoops).

All we need now is a big good letter with why the Excalibur, Exeter and Vesper aren't the Constitution to send to CBS.
    edited December 2013
    True.

But logic and zealots live in totally different universes.

Please tell me how it is logical that CBS wouldn't allow Cryptic to use original designs at endgame that are loosely based on the Constitution (which is true for a lot more Star Trek vessels) just because Cryptic arbitrarily linked their ingame stats to the Constitution. The problem of the Constitution can be boiled down to two things:

1) It's THE iconic Enteprise.
    2) It's old (didn't matter for the D'kyr and D7, but hey logic and morons live in totally different universes )

Neither is true for the Excalibur/Exeter/Vesper. And Cryptic never claimed that CBS didn't allow them. So please explain to me from which strange universe you come from that it would be logical. I bet in that universe the crew of the Enterprise is still imprisoned by Mudd's androids.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Please tell me how it is logical that CBS wouldn't allow Cryptic to use original designs at endgame that are loosely based on the Constitution (which is true for a lot more Star Trek vessels) just because Cryptic arbitrarily linked their ingame stats to the Constitution. [/URL]

Please tell me how it's logical that Cryptic would turn down easy money if the reason is simply Geko? You really think one dev has that much power to stop a potential revenue flow?

The reason has to be deeper than one dev with a bug up his rear end.
    edited December 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    Please tell me how it's logical that Cryptic would turn down easy money if the reason is simply Geko? You really think one dev has that much power to stop a potential revenue flow?

The reason has to be deeper than one dev with a bug up his rear end.

Well, Geko managed to block the Ambassador for a good while and when it was released the T5 version was only available for a limited time and then limited to fleets with a shipyard. It didn't get a special console either. The Ambassador was one of the most requested ships and would have been a hit in the C-Store. Or the Klingons. How often did they tell us that too few people played Klingons to put real effort into the faction. Eh, yeah. If you fail to make money from this fandom, you should be hit with a painstick! Cryptic is not logical. Never has been, never will be.
    edited December 2013
    Well, Geko managed to block the Ambassador for a good while and when it was released the T5 version was only available for a limited time and then limited to fleets with a shipyard.

Bull. The Ambassador never had a huge following. It had a few requests here and there in the interest of the complete Enterprise line, and a few who just liked it.

You're also comparing apples to oranges. The Ambassador model had to be made from scratch, which is weeks of paid time to make it, for a ship that wasn't likely to make a bunch of money. The Exeter/Excalibur/Vesper are already here. All it would take is coming up with stats and slapping a price tag on it.

If you're honestly trying to make the argument that one dev can hold back a money stream simply because he thinks it goes too far, I invite you to look around at the ship line up. Look at how far Cryptic will go to make a buck.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You're also comparing apples to oranges. The Ambassador model had to be made from scratch, which is weeks of paid time to make it, for a ship that wasn't likely to make a bunch of money. The Exeter/Excalibur/Vesper are already here. All it would take is coming up with stats and slapping a price tag on it.

not quiet, they will have to re-texture all the parts of the ship(s) to work with the fleet hull materials, after all, pretty much every ship has a special hull material/skin for its fleet version. and I doubt that is simple.
    edited December 2013
    Bull. The Ambassador never had a huge following. It had a few requests here and there in the interest of the complete Enterprise line, and a few who just liked it.

Funny how people always say that about ships they don't like.:rolleyes:

If you're honestly trying to make the argument that one dev can hold back a money stream simply because he thinks it goes too far, I invite you to look around at the ship line up. Look at how far Cryptic will go to make a buck.

I still remember the reasons Geko gave. There was nothing about work, it was because

1) There was no tier between T3 (Excelsior) and T4 (Galaxy) where the ship would have belonged.
    2) He didn't want to make a T5 version because the Ambassador should be weaker than the Galaxy and isn't as cool as the Excelsior.

And yeah, sorry the devs managed to "hold back a far bigger money stream" with the Klingons, they are still doing it. The Klingons are the last faction to finally get a ship with 5 forward weapons (after the Fed got two) and it's a copy of a "Federation battlecruiser" the irony is actually burning pixels out of my screen. Canon Klingon uniforms? Heck no. The Romulan Republic already has 3 canon costume packs. But we do have dinosaurs with frickin' anti-proton beams on their heads. The game is now financed out of lock boxes. For the rest the devs add what they think is "cool".
    edited December 2013
    Funny how people always say that about ships they don't like.:rolleyes:

Funny how one of my main characters uses an Amby. :rolleyes:

Funny how I was one of the few asking for the Ambassador at the time. :rolleyes:

Funny how every new character I level always uses the T1 and T2 Constitutions. :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok, so I lied on that third one. Occasionally I might use the NX. Even more rarely I might use the Oberth, and name it USS Redshirt.

And yeah, sorry the devs managed to "hold back a far bigger money stream" with the Klingons, they are still doing it. The Klingons are the last faction to finally get a ship with 5 forward weapons (after the Fed got two) and it's a copy of a "Federation battlecruiser" the irony is actually burning pixels out of my screen. Canon Klingon uniforms? Heck no. The Romulan Republic already has 3 canon costume packs. But we do have dinosaurs with frickin' anti-proton beams on their heads. The game is now financed out of lock boxes. For the rest the devs add what they think is "cool".

Metrics are metrics, like it or not.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jjprize wrote: »
    Thats the thing though; the Excalibur is only a connie skin if Cryptic hooks it up to work that way. They have the power to "unhook" it, meaning they can make a T5 Excalibur without having the connie skin as an option. There is no law of nature that says that says the Excalibur and Connie have to always be hooked together, so just because CBS will not allow a T5 Connie does not mean Cryptic cannot make a T5 Excalibur.

Bottom Line: They want to make what SELLS with regard to C-Store ships.

Many players (me included) want a T5 Starship/Constitution Class ship (IE the 1701) because the original Star Trek series is our favorite and we want to be able to effectively fly a T5 version of the 'Hero Ship' for our favorite series. yes, Cryptic wanted to do it (because it would make them a good chunk of change) - but CBS said 'no', and the actual reasons for this 'no' have never been communicated publicly.

But, if they did take an STO Excalibur class and make it a T5 - I WOULDN'T BOTHER with buying it (and I doubt most who really want an actual T5 'Connie' would either) -- Why? STO ain't horse-shoes (IE I don't want to fly something that look 'close' to a T5 Connie, I want a T5 Connie. If I want an in Universe ship that has a CLEAR lineage in design to the original Constitution design, I'll fly a T5 Fleet Ambassador Class ship <--- Which is what one of my characters is doing.) -- A T5 Excalibur Class won't get any Zen from me. An actual T5 Connie = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!:eek::D

TLDR: As the Excalibur Class is an STO specific design, and 'close' to a Starship/Constitution Class, it's still NOT the original Constitution Class, so it won't have much sell through for those players who honestly want a T5 version of the original 1701 design -- hence not worth the ROI in terms of development cost/time.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    then I suggest that cryptic get very busy and come out with a Star Trek Online 2 that take place after Star Trek 6 i which there are Const. still and Mrianda's in service and get it right this time.

Star Trek doesn't have tiers I would imagine in the 24th and even 25th Century thier are still some old Admirals that admire the old Girl of the Const' Class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    -chokes somebody at PWE- GIVE ME EXETER!!!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • blackcat#6894 blackcat Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In my opinion the "Excalibur" class in STO should be the Excalibur in Bridge Commander.
    Img; http://www.starbase400.org/avalon/83418_5.jpg

I know it's not canon, but neither is the "Excalibur" in STO.
    This post brought to you by the one known as Kay.
    DISCLAIMER!
    This post is not meant to flame, judge, insult, accuse, bash, or an any form offend any who may or may not read it. Unless it is, in which case this disclaimer is invalidated. Cheers!
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aRNRfusx8sw/URAsCE70mwI/AAAAAAAAODY/yVpf4mKruro/s1600/Protector+2.jpg

I want it sooooo much! I would actually spend money on STO for it... that's saying something!
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Geko was recently asked if separating the alternate skins from the refit would allow tier 5 upgrades. He said no.

According to many of the oppositions perspective it's just as pointless as trying to get a tier 5 Connie. I wouldn't mind too much if it happened because the Connie and its alternate skins are 100% compatible technologically and this would just give my arguments more fuel.

In many ways, the Connie is holding the Exeter family back, so if you want it in the game you should support the tier 5 connie because it's the root of the issue. Other ships like the Miranda and NX would become eligible for tier 5 too. It would be a huge win for fans.

/.02$
  • utilyanutilyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since we can't have a T5 Connie/Exeter.

Simply push for a T4, that would satisfy me.

Fact I would prob be satisfied with T2 Exeter with more weapon/officer slots and keeping everything else as weak as a T2.

It could be a special T2 only available to admirals or whatever.

Can't have a T5 doesn't mean you can't have a T4.

I think even the Mirror Terrans got mirror cruisers that are higher then T2's because it scales off your own level when you encounter them.

And that of course can be another loop-hole. Its not a federation cruiser......its a mirror T5 terran cruiser.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    not quiet, they will have to re-texture all the parts of the ship(s) to work with the fleet hull materials, after all, pretty much every ship has a special hull material/skin for its fleet version. and I doubt that is simple.
    Yeah, I mean, check out all the work they put into that sexy Fleet Varanus skin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    They would have to be "old Admirals" indeed. However just as there are probably some "old Admirals" in today's navy who still admire the Coontz class destroyers, they don't dictate naval policy based on their own personal predjudices. I'm sure there are "old Generals" who still admire the M60 tank. In any type of government service, once something is "phased out", it's gone. All new production stops, remaining inventory is taken out of service, all procurement of replacement parts stop. All maintenance facilities are upgraded to maintain the new system. All training switches to the new system. Older ships are mothballed, and sold as scrap, or made into museums which, with the preponderance of holographic tech in the 24th century, I don't see happening to often.

Here's the thing...IT"S A GAME, not a piece of real life military hardware. The fact is more people would rather "be" Kirk trolling for Orion Women in a T5 Connie than Picard postulating, giving number one the number 2 in his POS version of the Enterprise.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They would have to be "old Admirals" indeed. However just as there are probably some "old Admirals" in today's navy who still admire the Coontz class destroyers, they don't dictate naval policy based on their own personal predjudices. I'm sure there are "old Generals" who still admire the M60 tank. In any type of government service, once something is "phased out", it's gone. All new production stops, remaining inventory is taken out of service, all procurement of replacement parts stop. All maintenance facilities are upgraded to maintain the new system. All training switches to the new system. Older ships are mothballed, and sold as scrap, or made into museums which, with the preponderance of holographic tech in the 24th century, I don't see happening to often.
    They can in Starfleet especially if they want it thier personal ship.

I would go with having it as T3 or T4 alternate ship.It is game like others out there you can fly this at any rank if can afford to buy it not with zen but say EC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jjprize wrote: »
    Lets go ahead and get something out of the way: we all know CBS said "no T5 connie". Whether you agree with that decision or not, Cryptic still has to do what CBS says. So that is really all there is to that subject.

Did they ever say that? Evidence has been requested of this before and the conclusion is that it is an urban legend. So you're not getting anything out of the way except your credibility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Did they ever say that? Evidence has been requested of this before and the conclusion is that it is an urban legend. So you're not getting anything out of the way except your credibility.

Here.
    Q: dorko1 I know that the refit is still a touchy subject, but could you guys shed any light on what might happen? I understand that there should be obvious misgivings about the idea of the Constitution class outmatching a vessel 200 yrs new and twice its size, but a replica that?s really more of an Excalibur class vessel might be able to add something to the mix.

A: You are correct that it is a touchy subject amongst the community and based on the discussions we?ve had with CBS about ships, I don?t think we?re going to put a high-end Constitution Class refit into the game. You can still have a lower tier TOS Connie use the Squad Leader feature to bring their stats up to a higher level, but the odds of an end game Connie refit is a long shot.

And here.
    Q: (thmichael) Are you going to implement the Ambassador Class at some point? And would it be possible to implement the Old Constitution Class for higher ranks?

Dstahl: Yes. The Ambassador class is coming in 2013. CBS is still pretty adamant about the Old Connie not being an end game ship, but you never know what can happen as time rolls by.

Those are two I could think of right away, there's also several interviews with various devs saying as much over the years. One recently on Priority One with Geko saying no to even an Exeter as a compromise. You can find those though.
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Here.

And here.

Those are two I could think of right away, there's also several interviews with various devs saying as much over the years. One recently on Priority One with Geko saying no to even an Exeter as a compromise. You can find those though.

Makes me wonder what is actually being discussed, since the Exeter isn't a real "Star Trek" ship but is supposedly being refused. Since we don't know what CBS actually said there's a good chance of incompetence on the "negotiations" or "discussions" side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Makes me wonder what is actually being discussed, since the Exeter isn't a real "Star Trek" ship but is supposedly being refused. Since we don't know what CBS actually said there's a good chance of incompetence on the "negotiations" or "discussions" side.

Given that they were able to negotiate all the red tape to get the Vesta licensed from a third party artist, I sincerely doubt this. For what ever reason, CBS is just being obstinate about it. From their point of view, they may see little or no difference between the Connie and sister classes.

On pure speculation, I've always suspected the problem probably stems from JJ and the new movies. It wouldn't be the first time he's been a pita about merchandising from the original stuff.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, IT IS A GAME. A game with an established canon that has rules. Rules are what make games fun. They provide a framework, and bring order to an otherwise, chaotic mess. Imagine trying to play poker if everyone at the table decided to use their own, individual, values for the cards in their hand. Imagine a chess game with each player moving the same pieces differently. The word GAME is not a synonym for ANARCHY. In order for the game to keep it's integrity, and be fun for those playing it, rules are a necessary evil. If you find the game you're playing unsuitable to your taste, you quit and find one that's more your bag. You don't tell people to change the rules to suit your fancy. It's un-American. Rules are what separate the refined, and educated, from the animals, and savages.

Now imagine if you find out your poker mates are cheating. The way they are cheating doesn't improve their chances of winning, but it's still against the rules. You ask if you can cheat in a similar fashion that will not improve your chances of winning either, but you are denied. This is how Star Trek Online works.
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think that CBS said no to the Connie because it was created when Star Trek was an NBC series and they are just being extremely narrow minded about the whole thing, but this is just my opinion.
  • mightymoosemightymoose Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So after reading through 7 pages of this thread, it appears there is really no official word from either cryptic or cbs against a T5 Excalibur. :)

[Not sure if 1 month is considered ninja, if so then sorry :) ]
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [Not sure if 1 month is considered ninja, if so then sorry :) ]

Borderline. 30 days is the limit iirc, and unfortunately it has been a little more than 30 days, so this thread has been necroed :D

Sadly though, a t5 connie/variant is never going to happen. Although I would love to see some of the connie variant parts available for use on the avenger. That might just convince me to start using the avenger!
    I need a beer.

• timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Because it's pointless?

-snip-

Adding a T5 Excalibur would simply mean another cruiser. And at this point, not only do we have enough Fed cruisers, I think we have enough cruisers full stop. -snip-

This. Think about it. The Federation has 23 cruiser variants in its entire Tier 5 selection. This includes all three C-Store Odyssey options, all Mirror ships, and all the Fleet options. The Federation has a HUGE bias towards variety in the Tier 5 range. Something like 2/3 of their total ship variety is in the Tier 5 range. This link demonstrates how stark that bias is.

There is no more room for cruisers in the Federation lineup. It's as simple as that. Any new cruiser that gets introduced would be similar enough to some other cruiser variant that there's no real gain. The ONLY incentive to get it would be if you're an Excalibur fanboy, or a fanboy of whatever ship got boosted to Tier 5. Or you've got thousands of Zen points burning a hole in your wallet and you're looking for something to waste them on.

Looking over the Federation ship lineup in general, the only thing I see possible room for are science ships. Those science destroyers fit in nicely, for example. The Federation has plenty of cruisers, escorts, science ships, and has a few carriers and a few cool hybrid options (Armitage, Vesta). Maybe they could get a Federation-design full carrier somewhere.

Quite frankly, the Federation lineup's running out of room to put new ships in. Short of extending the game to have a 6th tier, or just straight-up inventing an entirely new customizable gear aspect to ships, I don't see any room for significant additions. They would end up being redundant at least partially.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp