test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What appears to be upload issues?

Symptoms: Launcher finally updates, game launches. Character select screen. Select character, enter game. Sector space loads, I see my ship, I see other's ships. Other players are moving around, activating abilities, etc. I key full throttle, makes the right sounds, doesn't move. I activate ability, get the sound, no animation, but I DO have the right cooldown now. Open fleet information, can see correct fleet info, but can't issue any orders, promote, etc.

Skip forward a few days, I have my laptop at a friend's house, run STO, log in and play just fine. Return home, same thing.

Skip forward MONTHS as I wait for PWE Support to respond to my tickets. I attempt to run on my other desktop, and it runs just fine. Get back on this computer, same issue.

I don't get the server not responding message, or any other error. My firewall is open, the ports are checked and good. It's a wired connection from the problem computer to the router. Wired connection direct to modem does not help. Other computer runs it through a wireless connection with no issue. I run other games just fine. My ISP has checked the net and found no issues. My dl and ul speeds are what they have been, and that has always been enough to run STO. No amount of waiting in Sector Space has changed the situation.

I run an ASUS motherboard, with an AMD FX-8350 8-core unlocked Processor, 4.0 Ghz. I have no network card. I use a Radeon HD 6870. I have 8 GB of RAM, on Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, 64-bit.

This problem has made the game literally unplayable, and it's been like this for months, and through numerous patches. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Post edited by aethftw on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So what does you 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' network diagnostics look like? As these tests will indicate if you can maintain a quality connection to the STO Servers. These diagnostics are described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155
  • aethftwaethftw Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For funsies, I went ahead and did the tests again, just to get you some specific data. For the nettest, column 1 is reading an average ~600, column 2 is reading ~30, and 3 is reading ~500. Trace-route reads no higher than 88 in any section. My ISP is Time Warner Cable. I'm not sure what all that accomplished, though. I played just fine for a number of hours on the desktop that runs it, and I would assume that elminates my ISP and the router and modem both computers share as suspects.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aethftw wrote: »
    For funsies, I went ahead and did the tests again, just to get you some specific data. For the nettest, column 1 is reading an average ~600, column 2 is reading ~30, and 3 is reading ~500. Trace-route reads no higher than 88 in any section. My ISP is Time Warner Cable. I'm not sure what all that accomplished, though. I played just fine for a number of hours on the desktop that runs it, and I would assume that elminates my ISP and the router and modem both computers share as suspects.

It shows that have the proper network latency & throughput, and does eliminate firewall and router/gateway problems, so that's not the issue, however, it doesn't rule out the possibility of packet drop on your connection to the STO Severs...

Try substituting the 'pathping' command for the 'tracert' command, as unlike 'Trace Route', 'Path Ping' will test for the presence of dropped packets, (however, it does take much longer to run because of this...) And you should do this when you are having connection problems, as dropped packets are usually intermittent in nature, and doesn't mean you have them all the time...