test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Patrick Stewart ever Make an Appearance in STO ?

Comments

• crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The latest episode of STOked Radio has a good discussion about what it takes to get an actor involved. Lots of legal hoops to jump through, cost, and availability are all factors.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wouldn't Picard be dead in STOs timeframe? Or at least so ancient he wouldn't be able to do much. Or he would have that space madness he had at the end of TNG.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Guess people don't realize Mr Jean Luc has been in NYC for months now, he and Gandolf are doing some broadway shows.

And for the guy who said Mulgrew isnt busy.. lmao.. Orange is the new black! Hello! She has been doing this lately.. in NY.. and that other weird Adult swim show. She hasnt even been able to get to recent conventions!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wouldn't Picard be dead in STOs timeframe? Or at least so ancient he wouldn't be able to do much. Or he would have that space madness he had at the end of TNG.

According to The Path to 2409 Picard retired from Starfleet in 2387 and became the Federation ambassador to Vulcan.* He retired altogether in 2402 (because let's face it: the guy is over 100 years old by STO) and now lives in France.

* BTW, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Why do they have an ambassador to a planet that's already a member of the Federation?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, I love Patrick Stewarts voice. But when I played Sphere of Influence, I almost didn?t recognize Micheal Dorns voice, he doesn?t speak like Worf used to, there is no emotion. Frankly, he didn?t seem very motivated.

So, if they put in Sir Stewart ever, I expect at least one epic monologue/lecture that used to destroy whomever Picard was talking to at the time !
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Well, I love Patrick Stewarts voice. But when I played Sphere of Influence, I almost didn?t recognize Micheal Dorns voice, he doesn?t speak like Worf used to, there is no emotion. Frankly, he didn?t seem very motivated.

Agree, and I felt the same way about Denise Crosby. She sounded bored. I'd prefer PWE spend their STO money elsewhere rather than continuing to hire tired old Star Trek actors just looking to collect a paycheck.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    According to The Path to 2409 Picard retired from Starfleet in 2387 and became the Federation ambassador to Vulcan.* He retired altogether in 2402 (because let's face it: the guy is over 100 years old by STO) and now lives in France.

* BTW, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Why do they have an ambassador to a planet that's already a member of the Federation?
    This sort of thing was referenced infrequently in the show. But.... while membership is invitation only, members can leave if they feel like it. Not that I know of any race that has. so... Federation membership basically means signing an interstellar treaty. This has a bunch of political consequences. Many member worlds seem to have side treaties with various powers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    variant37 wrote: »
    Agree, and I felt the same way about Denise Crosby. She sounded bored. I'd prefer PWE spend their STO money elsewhere rather than continuing to hire tired old Star Trek actors just looking to collect a paycheck.

I agree they didnt seem 100% into it, but It was nice to see them in game...it is Trek after all.

And Dorn had some good lines... Not his best emotion, but hey, he probably was just given some q-card (Q cards LOL) to read from, with little background.
    Anyway it's nice to see the actors participating.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Also I was thinking;

How come Legacy was able to contract all of the Captains....Did they have a massive budget because it was a console game ?
    Was wondering about that... If its so difficult to organize a little VO work, that game mustve been a nightmare to produce, with all the laywers and legalities, licensing etc..

Ill try to listen to that Podcast about Dorn, see what I can learn from it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013

nothing stated so far that he should be. he was born mid july 2305 somewhere in france and considering this is 2409, that makes him 104 years. sto timeline puts picard retired in france, 2402.

so unless the cryptic have a few missions lined up with you heading to france to help jean luc pick the next grape harvest whilst trying to avoid french jokes, otherwise it will likely be a complete rehash seen elsewhere.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    LOL.

To start he has been rapidly coming apart as a person with multiple strange and weird Youtube videos where he tries to be funny.

He once tried to sue Red Dwarf because it was a space show while he was doing TNG even though RD was in reruns and had been around a long time before TNG. (And is a lot better show)

I would say he might jump at the chance if he could be made interested (maybe by someone strange enough to get his Youtube vids)

There would be a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor however because he thinks he's Robin Williams now and drops into strange and unrecognizable characters.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Busy, probably. Expensive is an assumption.

You ask me.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Wow. I could put a nice downpayment on a house for hiring Patrick Stewart for a day.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited November 2013

So, if they put in Sir Stewart ever, I expect at least one epic monologue/lecture that used to destroy whomever Picard was talking to at the time !

Agreed he was not as we know the Worf from TNG or First Contact....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This sort of thing was referenced infrequently in the show. But.... while membership is invitation only, members can leave if they feel like it. Not that I know of any race that has. so... Federation membership basically means signing an interstellar treaty. This has a bunch of political consequences. Many member worlds seem to have side treaties with various powers.

Really, the Star Trek universe seems to be pretty unable to decide just what the Federation IS. It almost seems to vary by the writer. It's anything from a slightly less toothless UN to something akin to the modern United States, with member worlds being individual states.

I prefer to see it as the latter, because quite frankly a little scattered conglomeration than occasionally agrees on some things is not something I find terribly appealing. It also kind of goes against the spirit of Star Trek in terms of coming together and cooperating.
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    LOL.

He once tried to sue Red Dwarf because it was a space show while he was doing TNG even though RD was in reruns and had been around a long time before TNG. (And is a lot better show).

Actually TNG came out in 1987 and RD came out in 1988. It's hard to say whether he was ever "serious" about that however, I believe his basis was that similar setting, similar plots and Kryten was a Data ripoff.

But that is all based off an interview he did for the 10th anniversary of RD, it COULD all be hogwash.

That said... yeah RD is better than TNG IMHO...

And hell, Patrick Stewart does American Dad, so can STO be a far reach?
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013

variant37 wrote: »

Crosby seemed to be giving a lot of effort. You're not giving consideration to the issue that she isn't a strong actor.

As for Dorn, Worf was pretty dull in TNG so his voiceovers weren't a big departure. Also, it's been a very long time and he's much older. Nimoy is the best example, he doesn't sound anything like his TOS or TMP era efforts because he's so much older now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Crosby seemed to be giving a lot of effort. You're not giving consideration to the issue that she isn't a strong actor.

As for Dorn, Worf was pretty dull in TNG so his voiceovers weren't a big departure. Also, it's been a very long time and he's much older. Nimoy is the best example, he doesn't sound anything like his TOS or TMP era efforts because he's so much older now.

One thing to note about Worf is that he was not going to sound normal. He was an ambassador, he had his "diplomacy" mode on, and he was /frustrated/, because the Romulans were essentially playing with a nuclear arsenal like it was a joy buzzer, one that he had seen in action.

Simply put, he thought he was surrounded by idiots, but he had to watch his tongue.

Crosby, I think, did a much better job in the Romulan story arcs. I have a feeling she was ill-prepared for Temporal Ambassador, but I don't think that was her fault. In some ways I would almost speculate that Temporal Ambassador was largely tacked on during production; really, she was brought into this for Sela, I think. While they still managed to produce a good mission, and a good story, little cracks such as this are visible.

To me it's nothing huge, and I liked both, but worth mentioning.
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hope i didn't miss someone else posting this idea,
    but perhaps they could get more Brent Spiner vo's,
    (Wasn't that him at Japori)?
    and then save a little dough by having Brent doing
    his awesome Patrick Stewart impressions as well?

And 7 of 9? Yeah, that would be nice. Her voice is generally
    kinda stern though. There would have to be at least one line,
    where she sounds kinda sexy, and uses my name....hehehe

Just a thought.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    Really, the Star Trek universe seems to be pretty unable to decide just what the Federation IS. It almost seems to vary by the writer. It's anything from a slightly less toothless UN to something akin to the modern United States, with member worlds being individual states.

I prefer to see it as the latter, because quite frankly a little scattered conglomeration than occasionally agrees on some things is not something I find terribly appealing. It also kind of goes against the spirit of Star Trek in terms of coming together and cooperating.

The issue is you're trying to equate with either one or the other and the Federation is neither really. It's supposed to be more like the UN if the UN were actually effective - because all of the member worlds are actually independent with their own cultures and laws and can actually lose membership if they don't abide with Federation standards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013

And 7 of 9? Yeah, that would be nice. Her voice is generally
    kinda stern though. There would have to be at least one line,
    where she sounds kinda sexy, and uses my name....hehehe

Just a thought.

I'm sure they just haven't asked Jeri Ryan, she doesn't have high standards - she did the Mortal Kombat stuff as a favour to a friend I read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Man, I would love it if Sir Patrick did some voiceover for STO.

I grew up watching TNG. Picard was my rolemodel when I was little.
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You wanted to be bald when you grew up?

Some of us aim low so we're not disappointed later on.
    edited November 2013
    Like I said - maybe when you buy the new stargazer retrofit - it unlocks a mission where you "have to fly to Vulcan and rescue Picard from some Tal Shiar agents that were sent there to kidnap him for some leverage with the federation"

I bet that mission and c-store ship unlock would sell like 50k ships easy - which would cover the cost even if steward demanded $100k

Ps - any foundery authors want to make the rescue Picard from Vulcan mission if cryptic does not??

Again ^ This makes perfect sense.

And as for Picard Being "Too Old" ... There's always a temporal Mission option as well.
    That's what Franklin Drake is for :D
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Franklin Drake and Section 31;
    Star Trek writer's "Easy Button"

:D
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    To spew out "he'll be too expensive and never do it" is an assumption and doesn't make it a fact.

An assumption based on likeliness based on current information and knowledge.

Sort of like me making the assumption that Beyonce isn't going to come over and sing me a song while sitting on my lap for my birthday. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, this is very true. It's just not likely.

But just in case it does happen, I'm already working my battle raps against Jay-Z.
    <3
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

Canada is a member of the UN and we still have an ambassador to the U.S., same with Britain, Germany and every other member of the UN.

The Federation is the UN of the future, not a "Join us and be completely absorbed" group. Every member world is still free to do their own thing if they want.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Has anyone asked him about it? We are saying he will say no, but has anyone bother to ask him about it?
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • salynraydersalynrayder Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What are the chances of Picard doing a "Featured Episode"

Personally I'd like to see many characters from Star Trek, get Featured Episodes.

Is it really expensive for PW/Cryptic to hire the actors ? M.Dorn for example...
    How much was it to hire him ?
    He didnt have that many lines in the episode.... How hard could it be to intice the television actors to do Episodes for STO ?

Hope we'll keep seeing more of them.

Careful what you wish for...The next time you log in after an update you may find mission after mission narrated by Wesley Crusher!!!
    edited November 2013
    Ill twitter P stew, and find out :P
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg