test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will the Game Ever Suggest the Best DOFF?

wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Duty Officer System and R&D
Is it just a pipe-dream? That I click on a DOFF assignment, and the officer being suggested is actually the best choice for receiving a critical success? That I won't have to go and look for said officer with two or three of the qualities that increase the odds of said critical success myself.

It would be a nice fringe benefit for those of us who've cultivated the best quality doffs, don't you think? :D
Post edited by wilsonfrontier on

Comments

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Lol, they would have to program such system to be smart enough to figure out if your fail/disaster chances are zero, to pick doffs without the success trait since the whole system needs an overhaul. They already stated that the only way to fix it would be to change each mission one by one and it's too time consuming.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's currently weighted to go for success. while what players actually want is Crit. So yeah, a lot of the time you need to slot manually for best results.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its actually weighted for crit success, not success.

Example: Slot a mission that requires an engineering officer. Crit success trait of say stubborn, success of technician

Every time it will list all of your stubborn engineers before it ever lists a technician. What sucks about this, is that youre likely to have something like this happen:

Use the recommended doff
    Crit - 18%
    Success - 45%
    Fail - 25%
    Crit fail - 12%

But if you pick a technician youd get

Crit - 10%
    Success - 90%

no chance to fail

Id rather take the latter in most cases. Only rarely would I go the other way.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, I should clarify I suppose. It does try for Crit but apparently places success as a higher priority, thus in any case where failure chance is 0 it gives you suggestions that increase success.

the easiest example is to do a CxP turnin at the starbase. It always recommends a doff with the success trait and usually at the lowest rarity you have.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To answer the original question, no, it will never pick the 'best match' for you. It is designed to make you have to put in at least a tiny bit of thought if you want the best returns. Otherwise they could skip all the doffs entirely and just put in a button that says "gimme mah DOff rewards!" that gives you free stuff.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I honestly believe, at some point, people are just wanting to watch the game play itself... like another Series.

Honestly, its too much to ask that you command your crew, to make decisions that effect the outcome of a mission?

Right now the assigned officers make suggestions already... sometimes good, sometimes not so good... Hell, even officers that match criteria for Win/Fail are color coded ... but thats not enough...its got to take all of the thinking out of it for you, so you can just click start project and collect reward?

-1 for me... current system is good enough.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, I should clarify I suppose. It does try for Crit but apparently places success as a higher priority, thus in any case where failure chance is 0 it gives you suggestions that increase success.

the easiest example is to do a CxP turnin at the starbase. It always recommends a doff with the success trait and usually at the lowest rarity you have.

Thats the one exception I was able to think of when I read your first post I didnt agree with.

Those make no sense whatsoever. Development wants me to use a white refugee instead of a purple trader or entertainer with 3 or 4 crit traits?

Sense is not made here.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The whole point of a game, is that you play it yourself.

not getting the game to play the game for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The whole point of a game, is that you play it yourself.

not getting the game to play the game for you.

Perhaps, but why have the recommended sort that we have now then?
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Perhaps, but why have the recommended sort that we have now then?
    It is handy if you don't care to maximize your crit chances. There are some missions where I'll just take the recommendation and move on. SOmetimes after I've found all of the nice missions I want to crit, I'll jsut load up on science missions untiol my slots are full. Often there I will just take the recommendations and let the chips fall.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thats the one exception I was able to think of when I read your first post I didnt agree with.

Those make no sense whatsoever. Development wants me to use a white refugee instead of a purple trader or entertainer with 3 or 4 crit traits?

Sense is not made here.
    I see it pop up in missions with a low failure chance rather often. The Tsun'katse tournament one usually recommends blues, when I have purples with better crit traits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing