test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New LCARS Looks bad here:

tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
edited February 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
You may have noticed our new LCARS textures are in. Thomas the Cat made a new texture sheet for the LCARS, and we save over the old, blue texture.

As such, this texture will now auto-propagate to anywhere that was using the old blue textures. (That's Good!)

However, people over the years have been sloppy, and unwrapped consoles in hideous ways. (That's Bad.)

The old, blue, blurry texture hid the bad unwrap jobs people had done. (That's Good!)

But the new texture, which is clearer, and higher res, will now make those terrible unwraps very apparent. (That's Bad.)

Unfortunately, there is no magic fix. We have to go through object by object and correct the UVs. I can't guarantee when that will happen. It will take a while.

But you can help! Post here with a screenshot of a cruddy Unwrap, and tell us where you found this piece. This means anything that looks stretchy, wonky, flipped, upside down, backwards, whatever. I'm going to correct the most commonly used assets shortly after this goes to Holodeck, but there are likely many small, one off pieces that are going to be ugly.

Again, there is no promised timeline here, it will happen when I have a chance to touch them up.

Here are some examples of bad UVs:
(I'll take some shots and put them here on Monday)

Thanks
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
Post edited by tacofangs on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    As such, this texture will now auto-propagate to anywhere that was using the old blue textures. (That's Good!)

However, people over the years have been sloppy, and unwrapped consoles in hideous ways. (That's Bad.)

The old, blue, blurry texture hid the bad unwrap jobs people had done. (That's Good!)

But the new texture, which is clearer, and higher res, will now make those terrible unwraps very apparent. (That's Bad.)

Is anyone else getting a Simpson's vibe from this post besides me?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm already in a state of P A N I C !!

<chuckle>

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    I don't even know what he's talking about, but it sounds like something else got "fixed", and is, in all likelihood, going to stay that way.

Basically, the updated LCARS graphics in Season 8 will cause graphical problems that used the old blue LCARS and Tacofangs needs help to locate every instance of it since it is slow and painful work for just him to do.

The Simpsons vibe is from the That's Good and That's Bad comments.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'll update with some examples on Monday when I get back in. It's not on Holodeck until Tuesday, and at that point, all I'm asking is for people to post images/locations for places where the new LCARS looks weird, or if the old Blue LCARS is still being used.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OMG... i have been so waiting for this to happen!

...so if we see things like this

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/Jaruslothran/screenshot_2010-05-02-12-41-29.jpg

you want us to say something?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zerobang wrote: »

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/Jaruslothran/screenshot_2010-05-02-12-41-29.jpg

Ooh, that's actually pretty cool. Can we get that as an alternative bridge skin? Looks like the Federation decided to assimilate the Borg instead.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    So there shouldn't be any more blue LCARS? They're all over the place! Every computer panel in the game has them. This is a priority?

For the most part, as tacofangs noticed, it's just a straight texture swap, and most console panels will update automatically.

But some of them will look ugly, and will need to be fixed manually.

And in some cases, blue LCARS will sneak through. I'm not sure how simple that will be to fix.

And tacofangs said he'll be doing the fixes slowly, on his own time. So what's the big deal?

As for what I've noticed on Tribble...

Ship Interiors
    • Virtually the entire shuttle interior still has blue LCARS (see here and here).
    • Ship interior Sickbay has multiple small and large instances of blue LCARS, including the round console seen all over the game (see here and here).

Earth Spacedock
    • Many, many wall displays on ESD still have blue LCARS. Notably, the ridiculous, 50-foot displays at the Exchange, and the large displays in the shipyard (exterior, before you take the turbolift) (see here, here, here, and here).
    • There's one particular recurring console that has blue LCARS. It's a crescent-shaped console with a square display on one side of it. Examples of it can be found in the ESD centre room, around the holodisplay (see here).

All of these examples can be found at SB39 and K7 as well.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll update with some examples on Monday when I get back in. It's not on Holodeck until Tuesday, and at that point, all I'm asking is for people to post images/locations for places where the new LCARS looks weird, or if the old Blue LCARS is still being used.

Found a few places that were either using only partial new LCARS, or none at all. Here's a quick list:

PARTIAL - BRIDGES:

Shuttle
    Standard
    Sleek
    Utility
    Future
    Diplomat
    Star Explorer
    Alliance
    Ceremonial
    Unity
    Temple
    Nomad
    Virtue
    Alpha
    Beta
    Gamma
    Fellowship
    Peace
    Brotherhood
    Compassion
    Assistance
    Chirurgeon
    Healer
    San Francisco
    Zimmerman
    Eaves

PARTIAL - STARBASES:

Earth Spacedock (main level: shipyard area, middle section & exchange)
    Starbase 39-Sierra (exchange area)
    Deep Space K-7 (shipyard area)

FULL - BRIDGES:

(These bridges don't use the new LCARS at all)

Classic
    Triumph (1st Galaxy-style bridge with this name)
    Battle
    Prototype
    Warship
    Utopia
    Key
    Order
    Justice

Triumph (2nd Galaxy-style bridge with this name)
    Blaze
    Atlas
    Pandora
    Caucasus

MISC:

All MSD Displays & captain's chair controls are all still one colour.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At the ESD transporter room, the round console still has blue LCARS on it.

Edit: Yellow section of ESD, consoles on the holographic statue has blue LCARS on it too, the one near the tailor.

Also consoles for Admiral Quinn's secretary have blue LCARS.

I like the new LCARS adds a little life and color to the game, good work to all involved. :)
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If that wasn't a Starfleet bridge that'd be rather cool :)
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited November 2013

In order to more efficiently index all the locations with screenshots and additional information, I setup a small Google Site to post everything that has been found.

https://sites.google.com/a/subnova.com/lcars-upgrades/

I will keep updating this page as new locations/objects are found.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    From the mission: Task Force Hippocrates, the large wall panels on the USS Eagle interior part still have the blue LCARS in it. Also there are some consoles with a holographic display using blue LCARS, same mission.

Edit: ESD DJ consoles at ESD Club, the left half of the DJ's console has blue LCARS, and the right half has been poorly unwrapped for the new LCARS on the right half of the console.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Uh. . . ya. . .

I was originally asking people to point out smaller issues like this.

But yes, if you see the entire game covered in LCARS, feel free to let me know.
    (I can't even comprehend what's going on there.)

As for the rest of you, yes, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Remember, this IS NOT ON HOLODECK yet. This update will happen along with the S8 launch on Tuesday.

But yes, point out those things. As a little more depth, I'll say that over the years, artists have done some questionable, if not dumb things. Like make 3 or 4 copies of a material (which references a given texture), that are pretty much identical. So we might have found and fixed one of those materials, and missed 3 others, because they were saved off to random places, with strange names. By and large, most of what you've posted will likely be fixed by fixing 2 or 3 materials, but it's still useful information.

Also, remember that I'm also (or was originally) looking for places where the NEW LCARS looks stretched or odd. Like this. Or this.

Thanks all, keep it up.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Will do. havent seen the new LCARS yet, but looking forward to it. Will make the game look that much better, I am sure. :)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bajor
    • The transporter console still uses blue LCARS. This console appears elsewhere on Bajor, as well.
    • Federation command: this stacked console has the new LCARS, but it's not wrapped very nicely - clearly cropped partway through.
    • The holodeck controls use blue LCARS.
    • The sickbay biobeds have not been updated.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Uh. . . ya. . .

I was originally asking people to point out smaller issues like this.

But yes, if you see the entire game covered in LCARS, feel free to let me know.
    (I can't even comprehend what's going on there.)

That's from an unfinished, undocumented secret mission inside a fleet action that I THINK got removed before you started on STO.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here are shots from the Foundry bridge maps:
    http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/gallery/foundry-lcars-issues/

The map they are should be referenced on the images.
  • Options
    kerainkerain Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I do have one major concern about the new Lcars? what about the special places with unique art already, like the defiant bridge which has the TNG art applied to all of its consoles are those going to change to the new textures as well?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kerain wrote: »
    I do have one major concern about the new Lcars? what about the special places with unique art already, like the defiant bridge which has the TNG art applied to all of its consoles are those going to change to the new textures as well?

Those consoles will remain untouched. All we're updating are the generic blue LCARS that was(is) everywhere.
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kerain wrote: »

Why would they fix those? They have your money from that already.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    kerainkerain Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Those consoles will remain untouched. All we're updating are the generic blue LCARS that was(is) everywhere.

cool thats great, but while were at it could you consider also adding the TNG art to the Galaxy bridge. not all of them but just the one that's accurate to the show that one would be really cool with the default TNG consoles as well.
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wrong topic. sorry.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Posted this in the wrong thread before. The new Federation tutorial ship corridors are still using the blue LCARS: http://i.imgur.com/uSK4zqC.jpg
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Loading screen still using Blue LCARS :P

But seriously the circle console in earth space dock transporter room is still using blue LCARS as well as the consoles around the projector at the centre of ESD

edit: its all over the place in ESD
    apart from all the obvious places
    Admiral Quinn's receptionist padd and terminal
    all the terminals facing the NPC's at the skill trainers area
    the turbolift at the ship selection area
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Fleet Starbases are using a completely new type of LCARS from all other Starfleet stations and ships, so these might get missed. The places were standard Starfleet displays are used can usually be found on the wall displays in the corridors. It should be noted that the tactical level uses alien non-Starfleet looking consoles, so those displays aren't going to be changed at all when the others get fixed.
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All the fed consoles in the shown in the background of dialogue boxes are all blue LCARS regardless if the console on the map is ok or not. examples would be all the dialogues for the tutorial set on the origin bridge
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like the new stuff but the stuff on my bridge is really reeeeaaallllyyy ugly.

http://i.imgur.com/z1w9GhC.jpg