test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proton Weaponry vs. Hull Resists & Res A/B Shields

ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm concerned that as there was once a problem on ground with weapons like using the Cryo/Cold damage type that completely ignored available resistances that we will face a similar situation in Space PvP (and I suppose on ground as well) with Proton weapon(s).

This would really be severely detrimental to combat balance if Proton weaponry ignored Res A / B types completely, or ignored available hull resists.

Maybe I'm wrong, I certainly hope that I am.

If I'm correct however, I think this is something that definitely needs to be ironed out before this new weapon type hits the queues.
Post edited by ussultimatum on

Comments

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I believe there's a Bort quote to the effect of proton being covered by "all energy resist". I'll see what I can find...

Edit: Found it -
    Proton Damage Resistance is included in any items that say "All Damage Resistance" or "All Energy Resistance" -- both include Proton damage.

So not specifically covered by the ResA/ResB part, but universal shield hardening powers (EPtX, TSS, RSF etc) ought to work. No idea on how Adapt will handle it though.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    But there is also a big difference, Cold damage from a weapon is your primary damage and depending on what kit could be your only damage.

Where as this proton weapon will be a single weapon and if someone uses it in pvp, I imagine they will still be stacking the same mk xii damage type consoles. I just don't see many people going out of their way to boost proton damage at the expense of their other weapons.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I believe there's a Bort quote to the effect of proton being covered by "all energy resist". I'll see what I can find...

So not specifically covered by the ResA/ResB part, but universal shield hardening powers (EPtX, TSS, RSF etc) ought to work. No idea on how Adapt will handle it though.

Well ADAPT should handle it as its just a generic Res All.

Mostly I'm against a new damage type that circumvents the already poorly designed Res A vs. Res B mechanics.

lianthelia wrote: »
    But there is also a big difference, Cold damage from a weapon is your primary damage and depending on what kit could be your only damage.

Where as this proton weapon will be a single weapon and if someone uses it in pvp, I imagine they will still be stacking the same mk xii damage type consoles. I just don't see many people going out of their way to boost proton damage at the expense of their other weapons.

If there is only ever just this single, unique item and it's not particularly capable of burst damage then sure.

On the other hand it doesn't really seem too much of a stretch to imagine that this could just become another new energy type for them to sell us in lockboxes, rewards, etc.

It would seem really random to just make 1 new proton weapon, with no energy specific consoles of its own - couldn't it just be Anti-proton and call it a day?
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would seem really random to just make 1 new proton weapon, with no energy specific consoles of its own - couldn't it just be Anti-proton and call it a day?

I think they wanted to make a KCB-like weapon without having to deal with the headache of players complaining about a kinetic damage type energy weapon. In that respect it's not without precedent.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh no, a weapon type that bypasses Space PvPers abusing [ResA] or [ResB] to make themselves super tanky. I can't wait until Season 8 comes out, perhaps players will get rid of the [ResA] and [ResB] mods, instead going for set shields or Elite fleet shields [Cap]x2 [Adapt] [Res]. By the way, the MACO shield has 10% all energy damage resistance, which means it has 10% Proton resistance. I'm also certain that the Elite fleet shields will also have the ability to provide that extra +10% all damage resistance via the adapt proc.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh no, a weapon type that bypasses Space PvPers abusing [ResA] or [ResB] to make themselves super tanky. I can't wait until Season 8 comes out, perhaps players will get rid of the [ResA] and [ResB] mods, instead going for set shields or Elite fleet shields [Cap]x2 [Adapt] [Res]. By the way, the MACO shield has 10% all energy damage resistance, which means it has 10% Proton resistance. I'm also certain that the Elite fleet shields will also have the ability to provide that extra +10% all damage resistance via the adapt proc.

This. But yeah, it should have been boosted by AP damage consoles, as it seems a very lacklustre weapon so far. A weaker version of the single cannon, so I dont get what OP is so afraid about.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited October 2013
    Oh no, a weapon type that bypasses Space PvPers abusing [ResA] or [ResB]

Abusing what?

It's fleet gear, its in the game. Space PvPers lobbied for it to be nerfed, it got a slight nerf and then was never touched again. I think its pretty clear these shields are not going anywhere.

You can either deal with it, and move on or you can make up silly accusations like "abusing" something that is widely available.

By the way, the MACO shield has 10% all energy damage resistance, which means it has 10% Proton resistance. I'm also certain that the Elite fleet shields will also have the ability to provide that extra +10% all damage resistance via the adapt proc.

Neither of these points are relevant to the fact that a new energy type would then be the only one unaffected by Res A/Res B.

I'm sorry if you seem so offended by the idea that when new powers/items/damage types are created that they at least try to follow some semblance of coherent design with things that have come before them.
  • tallanvortallanvor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Excellent job with this.
    lowest price,superior service[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Abusing what?

It's fleet gear, its in the game. Space PvPers lobbied for it to be nerfed, it got a slight nerf and then was never touched again. I think its pretty clear these shields are not going anywhere.

You can either deal with it, and move on or you can make up silly accusations like "abusing" something that is widely available.

Neither of these points are relevant to the fact that a new energy type would then be the only one unaffected by Res A/Res B.

I'm sorry if you seem so offended by the idea that when new powers/items/damage types are created that they at least try to follow some semblance of coherent design with things that have come before them.

You see, there is this thing called sarcasm, my previous post was infested with it.

[ResA] and [ResB] are too powerful, especially when combined with [Adapt]. What's worse is you have players that carry multiple shields in their inventory, they see what the enemy is using for a damage type, and they switch to the most optimal shield to make themselves extra tanky. They use the mods as a crutch. Proton weapons aren't included in [ResA] and [ResB], making the mod useless to that one energy type. Thus, if someone on the team is using proton, they must make the difficult choice of either allowing that energy type to bypass their overpowered shield mod or they can go with a [Reg] mod to help all around. In either case, it makes the [ResA] and [ResB] mods a less desirable choice, which is a good thing for Space PvP, especially now that Cruiser auras add an extra +10% all damage resistance.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm concerned that as there was once a problem on ground with weapons like using the Cryo/Cold damage type that completely ignored available resistances that we will face a similar situation in Space PvP (and I suppose on ground as well) with Proton weapon(s).

This would really be severely detrimental to combat balance if Proton weaponry ignored Res A / B types completely, or ignored available hull resists.

Maybe I'm wrong, I certainly hope that I am.

If I'm correct however, I think this is something that definitely needs to be ironed out before this new weapon type hits the queues.

If resist all covers it I am fine with that. While I agree that It might not be ideal people can still go back to their maco/khg shields if they want.
    If the only impact is that elite fleet shields are less good and we get a decent counter to them, why not. Sure forcing a single dmg type on people would be bad but even with res a/b you never have resists against everything. And we also have elite fleet disruptors. So we already have a little imbalance in weapon types vs shields.
    Let's see what cryptic comes up with but so far I see no big problem.

Also the more important question: If an anti proton and a proton beam cross, will there be an explosion?

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
    edited October 2013
    [ResA] and [ResB] are too powerful, especially when combined with [Adapt]. What's worse is you have players that carry multiple shields in their inventory, they see what the enemy is using for a damage type, and they switch to the most optimal shield to make themselves extra tanky.

Of course, they would be silly not to.

PvP is competitive, it is what it is.

You also have players who keep multiple weapon types in their inventory to adjust as needed.

This is why its a poor mechanic to begin with, and why adding a new weapon type that actually circumvents another mechanic completely is a bad idea.

The worst thing for a game is to continually get one new "exception to the rule" after the other, it makes for game mechanics that will be even more of a mess than some of the things we have now.

They use the mods as a crutch.

They use the mods to their best advantage, that's the reality of competition. Have you not seen any sporting events in your entire life?

Should we just take your line of reasoning to the absurd and call anything that isn't just basic gear "a crutch"?

Like Elite warp cores, and DOFFs, or set bonuses like free heal procs?

These would all be classified as "a crutch" under your definition.

Proton weapons aren't included in [ResA] and [ResB], making the mod useless to that one energy type. Thus, if someone on the team is using proton, they must make the difficult choice of either allowing that energy type to bypass their overpowered shield mod or they can go with a [Reg] mod to help all around.

If proton becomes a new available energy weapon type that can circumvent Res A and Res B, nearly everyone will use it. Not "one guy on the team".

This is what happens when you create exceptions to a rule that circumvent current game mechanics.

If you want to go make a thread that Res A and Res B are still too powerful, be my guest.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The worst thing for a game is to continually get one new "exception to the rule" after the other, it makes for game mechanics that will be even more of a mess than some of the things we have now.

Exception based design has always been a great way to do things, if done properly.
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    Exception based design has always been a great way to do things, if done properly.

I think it is safe to say there is no track record of mechanics being done properly in STO when integrated to existing gear.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think it is safe to say there is no track record of mechanics being done properly in STO when integrated to existing gear.

Doffs, aside from a few edge cases, have breathed much new life and enjoyment into this game for many and saved it from becoming stale.

Warp Cores have been mostly successful.