test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #12

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski shares details about the upcoming, new and improved Dyson Joint Command Reputation in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    captainmd10captainmd10 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can say now that you will get a lot of thumbs up for the Rep Sponsorship. As a player with 9 toons (3 for each faction and career), I can say this will make getting those nice items in the Rep as well as completing un-finished other reps much easier. The testing on Tribble already got me to Tier 5 and I really like the ground items, haven't tried the costume though.

There is an inconsistency I noticed though.
    "Torpedo: Spread will fire Gravimetric Photon Torpedoes at each target. Each impact has a chance to create a spatial rift."
    The Tribble Patch for October 25 states that the Torpedo Spread may only create the rift on the 1st impact, not all of them. Typo? Or did Tribble go down just now to revert that change?
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One can only hope the "Inventory Full" bug is fixed soon, so some of us can test the rep....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, I guess I have been mistaken on this before. From what I gather in this blog, Sponsorship is coming in season 8 for all of the reps, not just the new Dyson Sphere one, is that correct? If so, that is very nice.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Voth-unique suits? Great. How about some Romulan ones too? :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Damn, still stuck with the Mk12-only concept huh? Drat. Are the tokens still limited to one per 20 hours, to make them unfarmable (despite the 20 cook time of the project)?
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will proton weapons get classic tac consoles without all the extras?
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I look forward to this season and hope the other reps will be changed to have only mark/commendations as inputs only instead of commodities.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Because the stuff that drops from the Dyson Equipment Requisition Box isn't able to be sold for credits, what can I do from stopping it from clogging up my inventory? I certainly want to open them for the tiny chance at cybernetic implants. I do not want a bunch of useless junk clogging up my inventory for the chance.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Because the stuff that drops from the Dyson Equipment Requisition Box isn't able to be sold for credits, what can I do from stopping it from clogging up my inventory? I certainly want to open them for the tiny chance at cybernetic implants. I do not want a bunch of useless junk clogging up my inventory for the chance.
    You should still be able to sell it for 0 credits.
  • Options
    captainmd10captainmd10 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski shares details about the upcoming, new and improved Dyson Joint Command Reputation in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
    brigadooom wrote: »

The items can still be "discarded" VIA the replicator, but they will just show 0 for the EC sell value.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will the Voth Reputation come with missions in a similiar fashion to the Romulan Rep?

Will the voth Armour come with a costume unlock? (Like the Maco etc.)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My question on the sponsor ships token is this...

Okay say I do 100 marks on one of my mains which say the romulan or nukara for example will require more than 1 qued mission to accomplish(on the romulan mark missions) so if I am reading this right will I have to 2 or more missions for the token and then 1 or 2 more missions to complete a project on an alt making it 2x-3x more effort on alt per day?

Or... is it saying if I have a main of each class and cycle thru them in missions getting the token that all my alts need to do is take a token and drop it in a project and then its filled?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Voth Ground suits = Ben 10 XLR8. :P

Sponsorship:

Is nice for those people who yet to finish reputations on their alts. But it's very costly since it costs 100 marks, per character, to get that discount. So in hindsight, it's not helpful at all.

And this new reputation system doesn't help those who have multiple characters who have to grind out new reputations from the beginning (which is this Dyson Reputation). This is what the players wanted Cryptic to change, not having to wait 2 months to finish one rep on one character, grind to get the discount on other characters, then start another 2 month grind. That is not fun!

Atmospheric Flight

Also, would've been great if that Atmospheric Flight from the new Fleet Holding moves to the Reputation since it fits better since players, since it wont penalize them for being in a small fleet or choosing to be fleetless.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Sponsorship:

Is nice for those people who yet to finish reputations on their alts. But it's very costly since it costs 100 marks, per character, to get that discount. So in hindsight, it's not helpful at all.

And this new reputation system doesn't help those who have multiple characters who have to grind out new reputations from the beginning (which is this Dyson Reputation). This is what the players wanted Cryptic to change, not having to wait 2 months to finish one rep on one character, grind to get the discount on other characters, then start another 2 month grind. That is not fun!

That is how I am looking at it... Instead of 2 months what it sounds like is that every single character who is not tier 5 you will be doing 2 or more times the grind just to get a bonus which is not what we asked for at all its just more of a grind than less of a grind.

Edit: So basically what this boils down to is about 4x more grind just to get each character done with 1 rep 1 month sooner.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    how can it be "new and improved"?

if its new theres nothing that was improved upon.

if it was something that was improved then its not new....

-_-
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok just got off the phone with Bran-flakes and he's assured me that they are going to create that magic "instant rep T-5 token" project you all want. Simply log in, click the the token and all the reps on ALL your alts will be set to T-5.

The above is pure wishful thinking... but I'm sure even IF THEY DID THIS people would still complain up a storm. "You mean I still have to click it? That's not fair! I click enough things during the day why do I have to click this?!"
  • Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Great another stupid rep system. That only will chop up my guys abilities and hand them back peace-meal to them with some useless bull$#@! attache to it for a huge cost of time and Dillf with noting worth a dam in it . Yhea, I love wasting time with rep systems. Beats just playing for tokes and handing them in for stuff just once.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The items can still be "discarded" VIA the replicator, but they will just show 0 for the EC sell value.

I know they can, but for 0 ec there's no point having them in my inventory in the first place. It's a waste of clicks.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That is how I am looking at it... Instead of 2 months what it sounds like is that every single character who is not tier 5 you will be doing 2 or more times the grind just to get a bonus which is not what we asked for at all its just more of a grind than less of a grind.

Edit: So basically what this boils down to is about 4x more grind just to get each character done with 1 rep 1 month sooner.

It's only 100 marks per character.

Considering the fact that you need to grind up A LOT more than that before you can even worry about getting the token - or while getting set gear - I really don't understand what you're complaining about.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Ok just got off the phone with Bran-flakes and he's assured me that they are going to create that magic "instant rep T-5 token" project you all want. Simply log in, click the the token and all the reps on ALL your alts will be set to T-5.

The above is pure wishful thinking... but I'm sure even IF THEY DID THIS people would still complain up a storm. "You mean I still have to click it? That's not fair! I click enough things during the day why do I have to click this?!"

I could understand your point but then do 20+ characters and your view point would drastically change :)
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty excited for all the rewards in this reputation.

From what I understand, the space set is still based on 2 and 3 piece set bonuses, but there are four pieces with the warp core, deflector, engines, and shield?

I hope that's how it's done, I've been thinking this is how you should add warp cores featuring the few missing modifier combinations to every 3 piece Deflector/Shield/Engine set. This way players are given a tactical choice as to whether they want to run two two-piece set bonuses or a 3 piece set bonus.

Understandably, 3 piece bonuses might need to be buffed to make them more desirable, but I think it would still be cool.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    • Reputation Store Unlocks no longer require a project to be unlocked. Instead, a new store will be unlocked automatically each time a Tier within the reputation is completed.
    • Completing projects that award reputation XP will immediately also grant a Dyson Equipment Requisition box. These boxes contain a random MK XII item that is normally only available from the stores mentioned above.

If that means what I assume it means (i.e. bog-standard Rep XP projects now have a chance to award store-unlocked gear) then that is ****ing awesome.

And no more "Store Unlock XYZ" projects? Even more awesome. Now if you could tone down the Dil price of the gear, that'd be grand :P
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty excited for all the rewards in this reputation.

From what I understand, the space set is still based on 2 and 3 piece set bonuses, but there are four pieces with the warp core, deflector, engines, and shield?

I hope that's how it's done, I've been thinking this is how you should add warp cores featuring the few missing modifier combinations to every 3 piece Deflector/Shield/Engine set. This way players are given a tactical choice as to whether they want to run two two-piece set bonuses or a 3 piece set bonus.

Understandably, 3 piece bonuses might need to be buffed to make them more desirable, but I think it would still be cool.
    The Dyson primary space set has 3 set bonuses; 1 each for equipping, 2, 3, and 4 items.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sponsorship:

It's 100 marks per character per reputation for the sponsored characters. I have 3 characters, one of which has T3 in all 3 current reps, one T3-4 in everything, and one at T1 -2 reps.
    I easily got the Omega marks doing a couple of ESTFs plus a couple of sector Borg beat downs.
    For the Rom marks, I farmed an Epohh.
    Nakura marks would probably be harder for most, but I have a bunch left over from the Crystal Catastrophe event.
    For me, at least, this looks to be a major win under the existing rep system, cutting my time needed to get tier 5 down by weeks.

I see it as a bit of a grind for my best equipped character, to make life a lot easier for my least equipped characters.
  • Options
    nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Dyson Joint Command Reputation has been revamped with player feedback in mind

That was my favorite part of the blog entry.

Anyway...

I love the sponsorship option. That is a great idea. Well done Cryptic. Well done. I must say that you have done good work on improving the rep system, and it will seem less like a grind, as it will require less time to do it again for other toons. The only way this could be better, is if there was also a token to half the time needed. However, what you guys currently have is great, and I am very excited about it.

I read the blog, and I am a bit concerned about possible changes that might come to the Nukara, Omega, and Romulan (NOR) reps in the future. I would personally feel more comfortable if Cryptic left the NOR reps alone, and just let them be, as is, for the rest of time. Personally, collecting commodities, regenerators, and consumables is not THAT big of a deal for me to demand that it be changed (if that is what may change). Any new methods of collecting rep XP should be limited to The Dyson rep, and any future reps that will be coming down the pike in the future. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, I am looking forward to Season 8. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    That was my favorite part of the blog entry.

Anyway...

I love the sponsorship option. That is a great idea. Well done Cryptic. Well done. I must say that you have done good work on improving the rep system, and it will seem less like a grind, as it will require less time to do it again for other toons. The only way this could be better, is if there was also a token to half the time needed. However, what you guys currently have is great, and I am very excited about it.

I read the blog, and I am a bit concerned about possible changes that might come to the Nukara, Omega, and Romulan (NOR) reps in the future. I would personally feel more comfortable if Cryptic left the NOR reps alone, and just let them be, as is, for the rest of time. Personally, collecting commodities, regenerators, and consumables is not THAT big of a deal for me to demand that it be changed (if that is what may change). Any new methods of collecting rep XP should be limited to The Dyson rep, and any future reps that will be coming down the pike in the future. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, I am looking forward to Season 8. Thanks.
    The junk NOR reps requires is a big deal. It either wastes bank space or time as you do it daily (or bi-daily, or whatever).

Also, the low static costs (that is, they dont increase per tier) of the Dyson Rep are awesome.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Do Dyson Equipment Requisition Boxes contain set items?

No. These boxes only contain items found in the stores automatically unlocked at each tier.

Now this bit really gives me a sad face :(

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    It's only 100 marks per character.

Considering the fact that you need to grind up A LOT more than that before you can even worry about getting the token - or while getting set gear - I really don't understand what you're complaining about.

I'll put it this way there are so many grinds to do that alts take a back seat when you are dealing with dilithium, fleet marks, and then a new rep every 6 months. In most cases though the rep gear isn't what I want out of it mainly just the passives.

I can see your point if you are a player who only plays a few characters than I could agree with you but for someone more heavily invested there just isn't enough time to do everything that needs to be done and get reputations done on every character.
  • Options
    stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whilst I'm looking forward to the new content and the awesome looking new gear, I must admit that this blog didn't make the new rep system particularly clear to me. I'll just have to hope it makes more sense when I see it in game.

I appreciate the fact that the devs have taken on board what people have been saying about wanting less grind, but this new system sounds a lot more complicated from what I've read. Why not just drop the store unlocks and allow the rep tiers to unlock for all characters on an account by faction, i.e, so you only need to grind once per faction? Surely that'd be easier?

Once again, complexity aside, I've got to say that I'm looking forward to the new season though. :D
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***