What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What stops you from making a new alt?

Comments

• Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like most of the answers in here include "rep".

:)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Sounds like a lot of hype just like the KDF track record LOL.
  • Options
    alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On the KDF side I have my original main and only one alt because there are no Klingon c-store ships besides the B'rel and I hate grinding 4 fleet modules for every toon to have a decent ships. And no I'm not paying real real money for each toon's ships that would add up real fast.

On the other factions, yeah grind has been wearing me out. I like alts until I have to equip them for PvP and usually say F' it, too much work. KDF under equipped alts do better then fed because more often than not there are at least 1-2 really good players in every pug to pick up the slack from my underequipped but :D mk X or XI [acc]x2 weapons only go so far ;)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't give a Pakled warp core about the rep system. And I don't PvP, so gear is a non-issue as well.

Mostly, I'm holding off deleting one toon and starting a new alt until the new Fed tutorial experience. Once that's revamped, I'll get to compare it to the Klingon and Romulan tutorials. (So far, I like the Klingon one best - I never understood why a Commander in the KDF was out in some farmer's fields, wiping out pests. It makes much more sense now that I'm a newly-minted lieutenant, and could really use the backing of a major House...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    And each new character I create has to do all 3 Reputations to Tier 5, get all the Optionals and then get the T5 gear on top of that.

... Why?

I see more and more players complain about things getting tedious as they grind for rep over and over. It would make far more sense to me to have one character concentrated on each rep system. I don't see the need to get everything for every alt.

Actually, I don't see the need to get rep at all. I've picked up a Romulan rep level or two on a few characters, but that's just from going through the missions there once. I don't like to do the same missions more than once with the same character.

If you'd have more fun alting than grinding, then I suggest cutting back on the grinding and doing more alting.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mirai222 wrote: »
    ... Why?

I see more and more players complain about things getting tedious as they grind for rep over and over. It would make far more sense to me to have one character concentrated on each rep system. I don't see the need to get everything for every alt.

Actually, I don't see the need to get rep at all. I've picked up a Romulan rep level or two on a few characters, but that's just from going through the missions there once. I don't like to do the same missions more than once with the same character.

If you'd have more fun alting than grinding, then I suggest cutting back on the grinding and doing more alting.

Exactly. Most players don't realize that they're overgeared. Back in S5 or S6, back before the rep when we had the Omega store, people did all the content fine. So now suddenly, people make it seem like it's impossible to do the PvE without the latest shiny.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Exactly. Most players don't realize that they're overgeared. Back in S5 or S6, back before the rep when we had the Omega store, people did all the content fine. So now suddenly, people make it seem like it's impossible to do the PvE without the latest shiny.

Now that I think about it, it IS a bit easier to do those elites without mk12 omega gear. I forgot I used to do them with white gear and a crafted set pre LoR. Like a frog in warm water that's being heated, I didn't see how lazy I've been getting because of the power creep.

Thanks for reminding me.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, it IS a bit easier to do those elites without mk12 omega gear. I forgot I used to do them with white gear and a crafted set pre LoR. Like a frog in warm water that's being heated, I didn't see how lazy I've been getting because of the power creep.

Thanks for reminding me.

Um... what?

Are you pulling my leg?
    Or are you making a non-direct response showing that you've taken offense to my reply, which was not targeted at any specific person?

No, I'm serious. I can't tell.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Um... what?

Are you pulling my leg?
    Or are you making a non-direct response showing that you've taken offense to my reply, which was not targeted at any specific person?

No, I'm serious. I can't tell.

I'm serious, tho nobody has ever asked to see my loadout ALL my pre S7 omega gear was earned with white gear and a Aegis set. Remember when we had to KNOW how to play ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    azntrigboiazntrigboi Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Reputation. That's the only thing really. I don't feel like grinding through the same freakin' content again and again just to max out my character's potential.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Remember when we had to KNOW how to play ?

i do sadly that not the case any more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm serious, tho nobody has ever asked to see my loadout ALL my pre S7 omega gear was earned with white gear and a Aegis set. Remember when we had to KNOW how to play ?

Yeah, I miss those days. Back when we actually had to follow the 10% rule and all. Now you can ignore that rule just because power creep has made stuff so freakin' powerful. :(

I mean, not like I don't like having all that power but I miss the days where it was fun to do STFs.
  • Options
    saiwotsaiwot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For me it is the reputation and the fleet system. In my opinion neither of these systems are alt friendly. Before these I was playing 5 characters about equally and I was starting a 6th. As a result of the reputation and fleet system I have only 3 characters I take seriously now ( 1 FED, 1 KDF, & 1 ROM) I still play these only because I really enjoy having 1 main in all 3 factions. When I have accomplished whatever goal I am playing for on the 3 I take a break.

I spend a lot less money on the game now. I haven't bought ZEN since it was called C-Points. I just use my stipend to buy extra dilithium and I have enough EC that I can buy most of what I want that other people spend ZEN on from the exchange like lock box ships. I have at least 1 lock box ship from all the lock boxes. I might only open one lock box once every two months with a key I buy with EC.

While I assuming the idea of having made or making the reputation system an account system would have made the more hard core MMO players upset. It would have been much better for people who like to have many alts. There is just not enough variety in the missions needed to be done for fleet marks and reputation to make it fun, interesting or rewarding enough for me to justify spending time on more characters than I am now. 1 character is ok, 2 it is not bad, but I think after 3 the game becomes exponentially less and less fun without even thinking of the reputation system.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I got enough to play with. With a total of 4 characters that is plenty. Since I only play about a few hours per week. I don't have time to play to create a new one.

Don't mind the Rep. As I get one character working on it. I get about 100+ marks. And that takes me a few days to turn in. So I just log on one, collect and start another project. Then get on another character do missions, or farm dil, or what ever I need to do.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mirai222 wrote: »
    ... Why?

this is what I do. I have pounded the ---- out of the CE enough times that I will have 12 chars complete it by the end of the week. It's fun trying to figure out the best strategy for it. I've so far shot holes in it with 10 models of ship, Oddy, Chel*3, Nebula, MVAE, D'Kyr, Chimera, Excelsior, T'Varo, D'Deridex, and Mogai.

Some ships are setup as Tric Bombers, others spam beams with Aux2Batt, One of my personal faves is using the Eng captain skill to boost all power levels then nailing the sucker with a Grav Well 3. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    Nothing stops me from from making a new alt. I do what I want to do. If I feel like grinding for rep stuff, I do it. If I don't feel like it, I don't. If I feel like doing story missions or foundry or whatever else, I do it, and if not, I don't. It helps probably that I don't feel any need to have the latest shiny thing and that I'm perfectly happy not logging into every one of my 11 level 50 characters for weeks at a time. That sometimes they just sit there is no big deal to me.

I'm already planning two more alts, in fact. One because I haven't yet experienced the new KDF tutorial and another for when the new Fed tutorial goes live.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    genemorph wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious what stops other people from making a new alt.

For me it is the reputation system re-grind and the prohibitive cost of skill respecs (500 zen). We know a little about the new proposed system for reputation, but I'm not sure it will go far enough to encourage me to make an alt. As for skill respecs, I think they need to radically change this to make it easier to move from one skill build to another. Either by making it cheaper, or making one activation last 1-4 weeks.

What you said as the rep systme just adds grind to gain all the marks you need.When it comes to omega all that is needed is unbound the edcs and rare borg whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The level 50 grind.

EC: Okay of all the grinds, this is the easiest, but it's also the most annoying. EC prices on the auction house are way out of control, as tends to happen in a game with no real money sink. When LoR came out I was sitting pretty darn happy with EC. After outfitting my two Rommies with gear that would make them competitive in Elite STFs, it pretty much broke the bank.

Lobi: For the love of all that is holy, who in their right mind decided you need 600 Lobi for some of the sets, 900 for a ship, heck 5 for consumables. At the usual lockbox lobi of 4 per box, just to get a consumable requires 2 lockbox keys, which is just short of $5.00 So I'm burning 5 bucks each time I use a lobi consumable. Okay I'll admit, the trading of Lobi between characters, good idea love it. Now lower the darn lobi prices by a third.

Dilithium: The Dilithium grind is even worse. Sure I'm sitting on a stockpile of dilithium, but that's simply because over time I've amassed it. Again, LoR came out, and I watched my stockpile dwindle. Course now its the grind the CE, day after day after day, and the mine, and Breen, day after day. How many times can one person do the same missions over and over and over again just to get useful amount of dilithium.

Reputation: Thank you for saying you're going to make this easier on alts. I'll believe it when I see it though. Also the updated Dyson Sphere Rep system, is a huge step in the right direction. But still, even with the improvements, its the same missions over and over and over again for generally the same rewards we got in the last rep system. And the tier 5 rewards are generally meh for the tons of work we had to put into it. The difference between mk XI and mk XII rep gear is really minimal compared to the work we had to put into it just to get to tier 5.
  • Options
    noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have an Alt addiction. I presently have 10 lvl 50's, 5 fed, 5 KDF and 3 non lvl 50's. I can say that I have fully rep ground only on my Main KDF and FED toons. Which leaves a lot of alts that will never have rep gear. (Though I did manage to get a lot of them end game Omega Gear back before the rep system)

Now I basically run them every so often to help my KDF and Fed Fleets upgrade projects, and as a side effect of that they have been able to gear up a little using fleet gear slowly over time.

I think the single most frustrating thing with them is the Rep grind. and to an extent the Doff grind.

I would love to see an account wide rep system that would allow you to contribute to a master reputation score used by each of your toons. I would be fine with requiring each toon to unlock the various gear stores and projects on their own. That way you could create a toon knowing that he would have the main powers already waiting for him, and focus on just getting the resources needed for the specific gear you want him to have.

This new rep system has some things in it that might help to an extent. But the inability to stockpile the tokens needed to do the 2000 xp quest make it pointless for me, as I don't have time to do that every day on 10 toons. If I could stockpile I could spend a weekend day gaining a pile of tokens for a toon, and then spend the next week plunging them into the rep project.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Having a life/job. I don't even have time to doff the 6 toons I have most days, let alone 'play' them. :(
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Nothing stops me from from making a new alt. I do what I want to do. If I feel like grinding for rep stuff, I do it. If I don't feel like it, I don't. If I feel like doing story missions or foundry or whatever else, I do it, and if not, I don't. It helps probably that I don't feel any need to have the latest shiny thing and that I'm perfectly happy not logging into every one of my 11 level 50 characters for weeks at a time. That sometimes they just sit there is no big deal to me.

I'm already planning two more alts, in fact. One because I haven't yet experienced the new KDF tutorial and another for when the new Fed tutorial goes live.

I'm with you 100% on this.

I have 12 characters, all of them slowly doing rep. Most of them get some progress towards most events, a few finish them. I play whatever is fun, and if they don't have the latest, c'est la vie.

And I have at least 6 more alts planned but I don't have enough time to play them all so waiting until I can get a new job with less hours, and for the new Fed Tutorial, and for my Ferengi until I can finish saving for the D'kora and Na'Far.

Plus, I know I'll want at least 1 or 2 of whatever new factions they put out in the future.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dilithium and rep. not to mention fleet roster tends to be quite beleaguered if you fill it with all your alts...
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Too much of the same mindnumbing grind.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    genemorph wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious what stops other people from making a new alt.

Why I won't make another alt is two major things:

1) Endgame is the same exact thing. What's the point in rolling another character?

2) The Grind.......... Fleet Marks, Dilithium, Reputation.........it just gets insane. Especially doing this every day so you can equip that character and keep it viable for the next expansion.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1) Repetative Endgame.

2)Not enough worthwhile differences between characters.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have ten alts and plans to make at least four more. One of them will be my sci cruiser tier 5 Connie hopeful so I won't be making him for a while. The others won't be made till I catch up on rep and gear somehow.

It's good to hear the devs are working on this.
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have 14 lvl 50's ranging from all factions and professions. I have 3 mains I stick to these days and I barely have time to DOff them anymore let alone play. My other 11 alts haven't been touched in awhile. The main 3 have their reps maxed but not the 11 others although most of those 11 have an excess of Omega marks from the pre-S7 conversion. I think the only way I roll another alt would be if another faction was introduced. I still have 3 more slots available but there isn't a reason to roll another right now. I do miss my alts. Maybe make marks account bound and increase variance in skills and professions. It would be cool to be able to respect your profession. That would help IMHO.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The rep system is nice but its very costly.

For instance you have to pay heap of dil and etc for unlocking the store and THEN you pay dil and etc to get the item.

The space gear is also very costly.. its actually cheaper to actually buy stuff in the c-store that is for all characters.

If they consider making the rep system account related.. then it would be nicer to create more characters, but thats JMO.I just want to do other stuff than grinding all the time. It does spoil the fun of having multiple characters.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2013
    you have to make new chars if you dont want to get burned out..

what i do is force myself to only play one char per day.. i dont switch all around doing the same thing over and over..

most of my chars have specific ships.. or series of ships. so if i want a new ship, i will make a new char for that ship..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nothing really stops me. I have 2 empty slots im not using right now. I just dont have the time to play more than I already have.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus