test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Avenger class aesthetic opinions?

Comments

• drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm afraid the Avenger is too ugly for me to fly.

Sort of sad as I like the its functional capabilities. But even here after some thought, I decided to pass. With the new Cruiser abilities I'll need to fly in formation with my wife's ship, and her Ambassador is a broadersider and this is a cannon boat. The two don't mix.

From an aesthetic point of view, I haven't liked anything created for Star Trek after the Excelsior (which is my primary ship). The best of the lot is the Ambassador and Akira and those are just good enough to accept, not outstanding.

It's like the Galaxy appeared and wrecked Star Trek design forever more. They've never recovered from that.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It looks mean, but even for a utilitarian warship it is rather on the ugly side. Though I like it quite a lot from a high rear angle (i.e. the first screenshot we saw of it).

I would say the worst features are the deflector dish and the flat underside of the saucer.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like it why? its an actual federation warship
    i think it looks cool its bulky its not got all the smooth contours
    it has a more robust feel to it visually

but then again it is a warship its not supposed to be pretty its supposed to fight a war

there are people comparing it to the galaxy....first off the TNG galaxy was the frakking love boat in space.

Not that i dont like the old galaxy cause i do its the fact the galaxy was not built for a war it was built for peacefull long range exploration and first contact situations so it was made to not look like a threat.

the avenger looks like it wants to kick your teeth but as meantioned it is a warship
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The design is growing on me. I like the overall shape of it. Some of the details could use some work, but maybe it'll look better with a... less bold hull pattern.
  • teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The fins on the nacelles are annoying, and the jury is still out on the weapon hardpoints, but I think its pretty cool otherwise.

I'd like to see if there are any costume variants before making a final judgement.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like it.

One look is all it takes to know it's true purpose. There is no mistaking the fact it means business.

This isn't the Starfleet of 2364 anymore. You don't hold ten conferences with your officers during a crisis, "communicate" with an obvious threat, needlessly put you ship/crew in danger to prove an obscure philosophical point (by withholding fire when it's called for).

This is the post-Dominion War Starfleet of 2409. Starfleet pays lip service to high-minded ideals, but is willing to use force when it's logical and necessary. Ships like the Avenger Class are merely a reflection of the new realities.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is the post-Dominion War Starfleet of 2409. Starfleet pays lip service to high-minded ideals, but is willing to use force when it's logical and necessary. Ships like the Avenger Class are merely a reflection of the new realities.

Then perhaps Section 31 have won... :(
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Not for nothing, but the Federation/Starfleet used force when it was logical and necessary to do so long before the Dominion War.

Yeah, in the 23rd Century. And after that terrible winter of 2366-2367. It took the complete destruction of 39 star ships, and the loss of all hands on the one vessel that was salvageable, to start waking some people up. The coming of the Dominion was the final nail in the utopian coffin.
  • foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My complaint is the split neck failure. Anyone who thinks a split neck improves warp speed by reducing 'wake' is completely and utterly clueless about Star Trek. Fail design is fail.

Sir, may I see your degree in warp field mechanics?

Gotta love the fictional science discussions when they pop up. Also it is canon that warp theory isn't static and more is discovered which updates that theory. The warp scale retunings, Voyager's moving nacelles, quantum slipstream...sounds to me like the split neck is totally plausible to increase warp/transwarp speeds.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The "Avenger" is everything that's wrong with this game in a nutshell. Aesthetically and gameplay wise, in my opinion at least.

But its not a new problem. For generations there were those people that couldn't understand that it is entirely possible for a peaceful minded Federation of Planets to be powerful without building "aggressive looking" starships and without throwing around lame military terminology. A Starfleet Explorer type vessel is basically what other people would consider a "Battleship", yet it is not to be mistaken as a ship of war. But it is still a ship en par with other peoples ships of war, it just wasn't called bad TRIBBLE military names and didn't look like a Star Wars merchandising toy. But I guess it would hurt many folks personal pride if they would command a "Explorer type" vessel when they are fighting. Because everything that does not look and sound like a "warship" is basically a flying "love boat" isn't it? ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    From the top down it looks nice, but from any other angle it looks absolutely hideous.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    foxalpha5 wrote: »
    Sir, may I see your degree in warp field mechanics?

Gotta love the fictional science discussions when they pop up. Also it is canon that warp theory isn't static and more is discovered which updates that theory. The warp scale retunings, Voyager's moving nacelles, quantum slipstream...sounds to me like the split neck is totally plausible to increase warp/transwarp speeds.

Pretty much, even Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda suggested a change in the TNG tech manual as to how the impulse engines work, after it was pointed out by physicist Lawrence Krauss how they couldn't possibly work as purely thrust driven engines. Hence they "invented" a subspace field generated in the driver coils, to lower the apparent mass of the ship.

Now if they can just make up stuff on the fly, why can't anyone else? Wasn't Cryptic's reason for the dual neck design more to do with the ship being more stable when using the quantum slipstream, which is why the Odyssey's version lasted longer than the normal version.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think it's pretty ugly, but in all the right ways.

Too look at it, it gives me the distinct feeling that this sucker was built for purely functional reasons, with little attention devoted to aesthetics.

In other words, it's a very military design, and I love it.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only part of the avenger I find at all appealing is the top side of the saucer section.

I hate the nacelle pylons, I hate the deflector, I hate the nacelle fins, I hate the dome on the underside of the saucer I hate the cut-out section running from the saucer to the end of the engineering hull (hated this on the regent as well)

My apologies to who ever designed the ship. I am sure they put a lot of work into it and that they are probably very talented, but I just don't like this ship.

As for the proposed theories regarding people who like the galaxy and those who don't...

For My part I love the galaxy, the sovereign, the nebula, the akira, the defiant and the original constitution.

I am ok with the intrepid, though I have never loved it.

I don't like the excelsior.

As for cryptic's designs I have found them to be very hit and miss some I love, some I can stand and some I hate. The avenger goes in the hate pile.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not a fan personally. Too blocky for my taste. Kind of looks like an Intrepid class built out of legos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i think the special colored material on the sceenshot of the lower side of ship that makes it look goofy yes i know its probably dark to make it look stealthy but then the upper side screen shots have the type 6 material and they look much better so do whole ship in screenshots in type 6 material and maybe it will look ok . this is supposed to be a battlecruiser so she ain't supposed to be a beauty queen.
  • rahadamanthrahadamanth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The area around the deflector, and the deflector, is just plain sloppy. The oblong torpedo/cannon rods? Theres a reason why on ships they are recessed.......ironically the same reason Cryptic said they put them there....the rest of the ship Isn't too bad it will probably grown on me
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    foxalpha5 wrote: »
    So far from the screenshots and messing around on Redshirt, I like it. I will buy it.

The statement "It does not look like a Starfleet ship" confuses me. What does it look like? A Klingon ship? Cardassian? Borg? Khazon? What, tell me please. You want a ship that doesn't look Starfleet, go no farther than the Defiant.

I can't speak for others but to me the reason why it doesn't look like a Federation design is simply because she lacks elegance.

But I honestly could see this as a Mirror Universe Terran ship. They do need their own ship designs than the stupid copy and paste approach.

johnny1051 wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't noticed what the "Avenger" is yet, it's the U.S.S. Vengeance that everyone wanted without any of the the copyright / lawsuit entanglements. It's a Fed warship, armed to the teeth, a bit boxy looking and with a material hull option that makes it dark. Size was made smaller due to player complaints about large starships clogging sector space.

If you liked the Vengeance, chances are you'll like the Avenger, and vice versa.

This is just a lame attempt at recreating the Vengence.

If they threw on an integrated classic round saucer and gave her better looking nacelles, then she would look better. But all the Ship team did is build a Regent out of Legos, threw on ugly concepts from their 2409 trash designs and called it "new". So really if you think about it, she is a kitbash of sorts.

My complaint is the split neck failure. Anyone who thinks a split neck improves warp speed by reducing 'wake' is completely and utterly clueless about Star Trek. Fail design is fail.

This is one of my biggest complaints about her, that dual neck absolutely does not go with that design. And is really stupid since that is a major vulnerable point in a warship. They should've gave her the integrated saucer.

All I can say is I'm growing more and more glad that STO isn't Star Trek canon. Because their 2409 designs are just pure ugly.

I like it why? its an actual federation warship
    i think it looks cool its bulky its not got all the smooth contours
    it has a more robust feel to it visually

but then again it is a warship its not supposed to be pretty its supposed to fight a war

there are people comparing it to the galaxy....first off the TNG galaxy was the frakking love boat in space.

Not that i dont like the old galaxy cause i do its the fact the galaxy was not built for a war it was built for peacefull long range exploration and first contact situations so it was made to not look like a threat.

the avenger looks like it wants to kick your teeth but as meantioned it is a warship

The Defiant, the Akira, the Steamrunner, the Sovereign, and the Galaxy Dreadnaught were built as Federation warships. But do you see this nonsense with canonical designs? NO!
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I kinda like it. Slap some black paint on it and it looks like 31's back in the ship building business. If you think the Avenger's ugly, what do you think of the Imperial? :)
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    edited October 2013
    I kinda like it. Slap some black paint on it and it looks like 31's back in the ship building business. If you think the Avenger's ugly, what do you think of the Imperial? :)

Jabba's sail Barge? Yeah that too can be flushed down the toilet as well.
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's ugly. As most Cryptic designs. So what ? It is made for war not to win beauty contests.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    It's ugly. As most Cryptic designs. So what ? It is made for war not to win beauty contests.

That's what female Remans are for. :eek:
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    edited October 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »

Some people actually care about looks. Else we might as well be flying in boxes.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am not a fan of this ship in any way shape or form.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Some people actually care about looks. Else we might as well be flying in boxes.

ya any one want to drive a station wagon or a Ashton Martin?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am not a fan of this ship in any way shape or form.
    Yeah, but you don't like it because it's better then the Galaxy. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but you don't like it because it's better then the Galaxy. :D

I don't like it because it makes most other Starfleet Cruiser obsolete but also it is ugly.
  • edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cue the crowd that desperately wants a playable Borg Cube...