Install Arc
Options

Come here if you have a Q

Comments

• Options
    k0v4ck0v4c Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi :) I have a couple questions before the delta recruitment event

1) Can a FED romulan have federation bridge officers? Like, normally buy them from the exchange?

2) If I delete my character that has (for example) the obelisk carrier, red matter capacitor, ferengi shuttle (mission reward or promotional award, things like that), are they lost or can I reclaim some somehow?

3) How many master keys does it take for an awesome ship, like that tal shiar adapted destroyer? I imagine the exchange price adjusted accordingly so it's a lot of keys :P

Thanks!
  • Options
    puckalishpuckalish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    k0v4c wrote: »

1) Can a FED romulan have federation bridge officers? Like, normally buy them from the exchange?

IIRC, Romulans can have Romulan faction BOffs only... That said, why would you want anything else? You can have a bridge full of SROs (Superior Romulan Operatives), which is kind of better than anything else... for space, at least.
    2) If I delete my character that has (for example) the obelisk carrier, red matter capacitor, ferengi shuttle (mission reward or promotional award, things like that), are they lost or can I reclaim some somehow?

They will be lost... except in the case of two conditions, if I'm not mistaken: (1) the item is account-bound and you can put it in the account bank or mail it to another toon, or (2) you bought the item from the C-Store or it was a promotional C-Store or Dil item than you can re-up on if you lose it (I think the Red Matter Capacitor works this way, but I'm not sure).

Stuff you bought of the exchange or mission rewards, though, most likely will be gone.

Also, remember, they're giving us each a new character slot, so there's no need to delete any extant toons.
    3) How many master keys does it take for an awesome ship, like that tal shiar adapted destroyer? I imagine the exchange price adjusted accordingly so it's a lot of keys :P

Thanks!

I forget what the Tal Shiar ship is off-hand... but the big-ticket popular ships like that tend to stay at a pretty stable price... Keys are at about 2.3m ECs each right now (may drop at some point soon, but maybe not)... the math's pretty simple from there for how many you'd need to buy an x-amount EC ship.

Good luck with the new character!
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2015

puckalish wrote: »
    IIRC, Romulans can have Romulan faction BOffs only... That said, why would you want anything else? You can have a bridge full of SROs (Superior Romulan Operatives), which is kind of better than anything else... for space, at least.

Romulans can use BOFFs, DOFFs, and cstore ships up through T4 of their ally.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Regarding this: I haven't done anything intentially that should have cost me EC (and Dil, I forgot to mention that I'm losing Dil as well). Can fleets take your assets without your consent?

Regarding this: I have been doffing heavily and it's possible that I missed something like this. I recall a weapons platform mission. Do these things also cost Dil at times? I guess I'll pay closer attention in the future.

Now: Can anyone tell me why I can't access the Support system for the game? I can't create a ticket anymore. I keep getting a redirect page leading to a dead end. Just curious.

And to those who responded...THANK YOU.

No they can't take your EC at all unless you specifically give it to them. So no... no they can't.

But yeah it' looks like now is that you lost it DOffing. Yes if I remember right the weapon platforms do cost EC... as to a bunch of diplo and trade missions... and if it's a mission that requires multiple DOffs to complete... the EC cost may have slid off (you can see it with a very small slider under the requirements).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kerven01 wrote: »
    A few questions...

How does the shield refrequencer's protonic energy stabilizer module work? The tooltip and the description are quite confusing. The tooltip states, "When using Exotic Damage and Shield Drain abilities, 10% chance:...". The expanded description states:
    "Your Exotic Particle attacks, Charged Particle Bursts, and Tachyon Beams are augmented by a Protonic Energy Stabilizer Module, adding Radiation damage over time to these attacks.

This enhancement does not apply to Feedback Pulse or Eject Warp Plasma. This Radiation damage is not increased by abilities and items that normally increase damage."

Am I the only one confused by this? From the tooltip, I gather that anything that deals exotic damage or drains shields has a 10% chance to trigger the effect. From the extended description, I gather that only things dealing exotic damage, the charged particle burst, and tachyon beam abilities will trigger this effect. As for the radiation over time damage... I haven't a clue where that came from. Is proton damage considered radiation or is radiation considered proton? Where did the DoT come from? Other than that single sentence, there isn't mention of the effect having DoT.

So, to the point... Can tetryon glider cause this effect to trigger, due to the shield drain? Will the radiation DoT from thoron infused weapons cause it to trigger? What determines if damage is "exotic" anyway?

I'm at work... so I'm probably going to be talking out my behind... but I missed your question yesterday and thought I'd at least answer it.

But you're pretty much right... here you go with the basics.. anything that is boosted by part gens is concidered... to some degree... an exotic attack, which includes Eject Warp Plasma and FBP. However for some reason the devs purposely excluded those abilities. Shield Drains are a bit different as are the seconardies to certain weapons and consoles. Basically if it's boosted by Part Gens it'll proc this 10% of the times. As for shield drains I think... THINK... this is only effected by BOff abilities and ship consoles... so things like Tet energy weapons would not proc it but grlider... may... I'd have to check..

But again caveat... I'm at work and doing this from memory.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    puckalish wrote: »

They will be lost... except in the case of two conditions, if I'm not mistaken: (1) the item is account-bound and you can put it in the account bank or mail it to another toon, or (2) you bought the item from the C-Store or it was a promotional C-Store or Dil item than you can re-up on if you lose it (I think the Red Matter Capacitor works this way, but I'm not sure).

Stuff you bought of the exchange or mission rewards, though, most likely will be gone.

Also, remember, they're giving us each a new character slot, so there's no need to delete any extant toons.

thx for the reply.

Well I've been playing casually for a really long time, so my main isn't really that pro, but has all the free stuff from different give aways, featured episodes, spotlights, etc.

It's a meassy character, sort of a hoarder. S I figured, delta recruitment is a cool opportunity to make a new main, it's not like it'll take a long while to catch up to my current main. But I'd feel bad losing the Red Matter capacitor, or my ferengi shuttle, or my jem'hadar BOFF :P some other stuff.

Cuz, I figured, maybe if I delete my current main, I could reclaim those things on a new character. But I don't know how to check it.
  • Options
    synchronicity75synchronicity75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is it best to use pets that have the same weapon type as the carrier ship? I just bought the KDF command ship pack and don't necessarily want to use the fighters that came with it or the slavers on the exchange. I have both T5 rom elite scorpion and nukara elite widow already in the bank, will I suffer if using them since their weapons are a different type than my disruptors?
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is it best to use pets that have the same weapon type as the carrier ship? I just bought the KDF command ship pack and don't necessarily want to use the fighters that came with it or the slavers on the exchange. I have both T5 rom elite scorpion and nukara elite widow already in the bank, will I suffer if using them since their weapons are a different type than my disruptors?

Combat pets are not affected by ship gear unless there is a bug in effect.
  • Options
    rikersdadrikersdad Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    found them
  • Options
    rikersdadrikersdad Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    found candidates
  • Options
    kerrdogjkerrdogj Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hi all! I'm an old player who's returning after about a year's hiatus. A lot has changed in the game, but I think I've mostly caught up to speed now. That being said, I do have a question. I noticed that I am no longer acquiring crafting materials from DOFF missions. Instead, they are all R&D. I've been hanging out in the Delta Quadrant running through the new missions (i.e. - haven't made it back to Memory Alpha) and got to wondering about crafting versus R&D. Is crafting dead? Did R&D replace it? What should I do with the huge amount of crafting materials I have in my bank? I see an option to convert them into unreplicable materials, but was hesitant to do so if they still have use.

Many thanks in advance!
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Quick question:

Are unique Mission Rewards locked into a fixed upgrade path?

For example, if I was to rarity upgrade several Hargh'Pengs, would it always have the same mods at UR and Epic?

Or the Corrosive Plasma Disruptor Beam Array. Would it always have the same mods at VR and UR? If I farmed several and upgraded them?

Or the Psionic shield from a Donatu mission; will it always have the same mods at VR and UR?

I'm asking since I would like to know if they're worth grinding on some DR alts as placeholder equipment until they reach 50+, and want to know if they're consistent enough to be worthwhile.
  • Options
    vecternalvecternal Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I didn't get the duty officers that should be awarded at lvl 18. Anyone knows why?

edit: I also got promoted to commander at lvl 19.
  • Options
    heliosz3r0heliosz3r0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would normally write a new topic with this, however it would appear that Perfect World doesn't want to recognize my account as being months old. I thank the author of the original post for this thread, as it provides an excellent medium for players such as myself to find information and seek advice from more experienced players.

I'm new to STO, I finally broke down and beamed aboard being a moderate trekkie through TNG and VOY. Thought it'd be cool.

Still acclimating to the controls, right now I'm running a Romulan Bird of Prey (I think...whatever that starter ship is) and I'm up to level 6 I think.

Anyway, casting aside the maybe's and the uncertainties, I need an opinion on what the best faction to play as would be. I've heard that Romulans are pretty beefy, but from what I've read they suffer a power penalty of some kind. That and I'm not too keen on hit and run tactics, which their combat stealth ability seems to hint heavily at.

So I need suggestions. Relevant info is below detailing my play style.

---Playstyle---
    Survivability. The more I can take on and take out, the better. Heavy on defensive abilities. In other games, I would play a defensive role, more likely to sit back and endure an onslaught rather than wade into battle unless I was certain my defenses could withstand such an act. I don't necessarily care about DPS, so long as I can take the hits and whittle them down to nothing. Patience is my greatest ally.

In games like Firefall (MMOFPS) I excelled at taking and holding an area against waves of Chosen (games primary antagonists) with deployable turrets. In TF2 I stay behind as Heavy Weapons or Engineer and defend the intel. In WoW I had a solo build on a Death Knight that capitalizes on healing, and a Protection Paladin that just will not die. Literally, the Paladin would be able to take wave after wave of mobs around my level with no rest in between encounters and I would come out on top. I want to be able to do that in here, or at least come close.

Basically, I want to be able to find an area and hold it, or draw attention to myself and be able to take it. As I said before, the DPS output I don't really care about, it's all about damage mitigation and survivability. I'm not looking to raid yet, and I'm definitely not going to PVP ever, as it's never been my thing. Just want a nice role play experience with focus on PVE.

tl;dr

What faction should I join if I am a player that focuses mostly on passive defensive abilities and overall survivability in PVE? Federation, Klingon, or Romulan?
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kerrdogj wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm an old player who's returning after about a year's hiatus. A lot has changed in the game, but I think I've mostly caught up to speed now. That being said, I do have a question. I noticed that I am no longer acquiring crafting materials from DOFF missions. Instead, they are all R&D. I've been hanging out in the Delta Quadrant running through the new missions (i.e. - haven't made it back to Memory Alpha) and got to wondering about crafting versus R&D. Is crafting dead? Did R&D replace it? What should I do with the huge amount of crafting materials I have in my bank? I see an option to convert them into unreplicable materials, but was hesitant to do so if they still have use.

Many thanks in advance!

Yeah R&D completely replaced crafting, so you can convert the old crafting materials for R&D ones :) also if you reached full crafting XP before, you now have a doff in your roster that will give you a new aegis set
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Quick question:

Are unique Mission Rewards locked into a fixed upgrade path?

For example, if I was to rarity upgrade several Hargh'Pengs, would it always have the same mods at UR and Epic?

Or the Corrosive Plasma Disruptor Beam Array. Would it always have the same mods at VR and UR? If I farmed several and upgraded them?

Or the Psionic shield from a Donatu mission; will it always have the same mods at VR and UR?

I'm asking since I would like to know if they're worth grinding on some DR alts as placeholder equipment until they reach 50+, and want to know if they're consistent enough to be worthwhile.

1: No the chance for procs is random, example, you upgrade one to UR it gets dmg, another to UR and it could get crtd
    2: No, upgrades will always give a random NON-R&D proc
    3: same as 2
    Also just pointing out upgrading shields is generally a bad idea until it's the only thing left to upgrade
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    johnnystarflamejohnnystarflame Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I started this game about 2 months before delta went live, I hit lvl 40ish at that time. After all is said and done am I TRIBBLE myself over if I dont start all over again? I really have no desire I mean I just did these episodes rather recently. I would like to just continue on with my lvl 40 character. If I understand right at lvl 50 i can do the delta missions but thats some how different then being a delta recruit. I dont know I just dont want to end up second rate to a delta recruit.
  • Options
    arieste2arieste2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hi! Unfortunately i can't start a new thread due to being new to forums, but i am brand new to the game and have quite a few questions. I've looked up many posts on the specific topics, but they tend to go over my head with details rather than giving me a straight-up direciton.

I'm a very experienced MMO player and at the moment i'm level 22 in STO as a Rom-Sci Delta Recruit.

So here are my few questions:

1. I haven't claimed any of my delta recruit gifts (like for level 10 and 20). It says they scale to your level, so i figured it would be better to save those until higher level. It's not like i have any issues killing stuff. Any comment on this?

2. In terms of play, i've just been following the storyline and NOT doing anything else. I'm starting to outlevel missions as it is and I'm really in the game for the storyline. Am i missing out on anything? Is there stuff i should be doing "at level"? What are "episodes"? Is this something separate from the main game or will i get them just as i progress?

3. The big and super-specific advice question: I've read numerous threads about how Romulans have no science ships and basically rom-sci is like the worst combo to play. Great. I'm still planning to stick with it. Once i get to higher levels, i want to invest some zen into buying ONE ship. What ship should i buy based on my playstyle:

- PvE. Whatever the top end of PvE is. It seems like " you can do pve in anything" is the general sentiment, but i don't want to be completely gimp. I've zero plans for pvp - ever.

- Romulan Science. I'm a bit confused about T5 (40) vs. T5 (50) vs. T6 ship options, especially given the severe lack of actual Romulan Science vessels.

- Obviously i'm fairly new to the game so i don't know all the ins and outs, nor can i learn them in a day. Here are things i want to be able to do in my ship: Offensively, i love the idea of popping out of stealth, dropping the other guy's shield and unloading some torpedoes into them. Defensively, i like the idea of drains and debilitation. In a team - heals/support.

What ship (obtainable by any means) do you recommend that i aim for?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hi!

Q: What equipment piece changes the look of my ship?

I tried finding out myself but there's a lot of talk about space sets and what ever, just confusing. Any help is appreciated :)
  • Options
    robothitchhikerrobothitchhiker Member Posts: 277 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Hi!

Q: What equipment piece changes the look of my ship?

I tried finding out myself but there's a lot of talk about space sets and what ever, just confusing. Any help is appreciated :)

Well, the answer is space sets, generally from the reputation system, which unlocks at level 50. Each set has some unique deflectors/engines/consoles/shields that can alter the appearance of your ship. For the reputation sets, you'll need to hit level 50, spend reputation marks to gain reputation levels, then requisition the items using more reputation marks. There are also a few sets available in late-game missions (Jem'Hadar late in the Cardassian episode and the Breen) which can alter appearance.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    arieste2 wrote: »

1. I haven't claimed any of my delta recruit gifts (like for level 10 and 20). It says they scale to your level, so i figured it would be better to save those until higher level. It's not like i have any issues killing stuff. Any comment on this?

The rewards are scaled to that level and are fixed. See http://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Recruitment_Event
    2. In terms of play, i've just been following the storyline and NOT doing anything else. I'm starting to outlevel missions as it is and I'm really in the game for the storyline. Am i missing out on anything? Is there stuff i should be doing "at level"? What are "episodes"? Is this something separate from the main game or will i get them just as i progress?

Everything scales up to your level, so it should be fine as long as you keep your gear upgraded to level appropriate for your current rank. If you're not leveling fast enough, do a few patrols or use the duty officer system to get some extra XP. Episodes are sets of missions that constitute an arc. If you don't skip missions you'll finish all the episodes normally.
    ship stuff

There are Tier 5 (40) ships you get at level 40 for free, Tier 5 (50) ships you can buy at level 50, and Tier 6 ships you can buy at level 50. Any of the latter two should be fine for late game, although you may want to get a ship upgrade token so your Tier 5 (50) ship can get some passive traits and increased HP (turning into T-5U). The wiki is helpful for comparing ships http://sto.gamepedia.com/Playable_Ships. Tier 6 ships are the most expensive and shiniest right now, but the DPS charts are dominated by the Scimitar at T-5U.

As for which ship to get, it really depends on which bridge officer skills you want to use. If you're married to a commander level (4th slot) science ability like Gravity Well 3, you need a science vessel. Otherwise, find a bridge officer seating that works for you (along with maneuverability and HP). You can buy some mirror ships at level 40 from the exchange to try out other styles. Then try to find a T-5 (50) or T-6 ship that matches.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I started this game about 2 months before delta went live, I hit lvl 40ish at that time. After all is said and done am I TRIBBLE myself over if I dont start all over again? I really have no desire I mean I just did these episodes rather recently. I would like to just continue on with my lvl 40 character. If I understand right at lvl 50 i can do the delta missions but thats some how different then being a delta recruit. I dont know I just dont want to end up second rate to a delta recruit.

At level 50 you can start accessing the Delta Quadrant missions, which has nothing to do with the Delta Recruitment event going on now (besides the name). You don't have to start over, the primary benefit of Delta Recruitment characters is bonus rewards as they level to make leveling less annoying. That said, leveling a Delta recruit unlocks some benefits for all the other characters on your account, so you may want to start another character (perhaps in a different faction to get a different storyline) to get those benefits on your current main character. Benefits are listed here http://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Recruitment_Event#Delta_Recruit_and_account_rewards
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    heliosz3r0 wrote: »
    tl;dr

What faction should I join if I am a player that focuses mostly on passive defensive abilities and overall survivability in PVE? Federation, Klingon, or Romulan?

tl;dr It's hard to give definitive answers to these types of questions. You can survive/tank in any faction. You'll want a ship with decent HP (generally cruisers), but doing so effectively will depend a lot on equipment and use of active abilities. Being an engineer helps quite a bit, as will using engineering bridge officer abilities. But you also can't draw attention if you don't have enough threat, which involves damage dealing and offensive abilities. As a Romulan, you can grab a D'deridex at level 30, and the newly released T-6 D'Khellra isn't bad, though beware of low base turn rates.
  • Options
    alilwetalilwet Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I join a lvl 5 queue at lvl 7. They put me with lvl 50's. I go into combat, fighting as best as I can, we finish the mission, I get the debrief, then warp out...

Now I have an AFK cooldown...

Are you trying to TRIBBLE off your new players? Whoever designed the system should be sent to Zynga...

Oddly enough I was going to purchase some Zen, but if this is the norm around here then forget it... What a crock...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    alilwet wrote: »
    I join a lvl 5 queue at lvl 7. They put me with lvl 50's. I go into combat, fighting as best as I can, we finish the mission, I get the debrief, then warp out...

Now I have an AFK cooldown...

Are you trying to TRIBBLE off your new players? Whoever designed the system should be sent to Zynga...

Oddly enough I was going to purchase some Zen, but if this is the norm around here then forget it... What a crock...

So exatly what is your question that we in the community can answer... since this is supposed to be a help thread not a come in and whine thread which is better suited for general.

Also what queue can you enter at level 5. I thought that all queues were level restricted for level 10... or supposed to be.
  • Options
    alilwetalilwet Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    So exatly what is your question that we in the community can answer... since this is supposed to be a help thread not a come in and whine thread which is better suited for general.

Also what queue can you enter at level 5. I thought that all queues were level restricted for level 10... or supposed to be.

This was the only section I was allowed to post in. My question was why does this happen?

Why do they group me with people 45+ levels higher than me? I can only assume they voted me or something. If that is the case who was the genius that designed the system. It doesn't really show new players that they are welcome... Now because of a poor design I have to sit and wait to Queue...

It was some starfleet mission, something about long range sensors. We had to defend some base. It said minimum lvl to queue was lvl 5.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    alilwet wrote: »
    This was the only section I was allowed to post in. My question was why does this happen?

Why do they group me with people 45+ levels higher than me? I can only assume they voted me or something. If that is the case who was the genius that designed the system. It doesn't really show new players that they are welcome... Now because of a poor design I have to sit and wait to Queue...

It was some starfleet mission, something about long range sensors. We had to defend some base. It said minimum lvl to queue was lvl 5.

Ah... you're in a fleet yes? It's a fleet alert okay...

So here's what happens... when you enter a queue it automatically raises or lowers you to the base level of that queue. Fleet Alert happens to be 50, so if you're under 50 it artificially raises you to that level... and if you're over 50 it lowers you to 50.

What it doesn't do is change practically anything though other then your hit points and I think your shields. All your gear, traits, skills, and various modifiers stay the same. So what's happening if you're going in as a level 7 with what 3 weapons... with guys even using "white" gear with minimum of 6 weapons.. and possibly eight. Just by weapon count you've got issues.

Why do they do it? Because if you go in with a Fleet on a private you don't get an AFK penalty... and they allow you to pug anything you can do a private with you can do a PUG with.

Basically it's there so you and your fleets can go in as a group with no worries, not really as a PUG.