test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Having an option to leave Tovan Khev after Elachi Storyline?

denliner1701denliner1701 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Romulan Discussion
This would really resolve this Tovan hate argument, even though I like Tovan Khev, no offense.It would make a whole lot of sense if we had the option to leave Tovan Khev, specifically after the defense of New Romulus, at the end of the Elachi storyline.
It makes a whole lot of sense because:

1. Tovan has Rinna back:
One of the reasons why Tovan was so motivated was because of Rinna, his sister.
Now that Rinna was saved from Installation 18 and after the Elachi are gone, it feels like Tovan has the opportunity to close old wounds and to reunite with his sister on New Romulus. I feel that he wants to sacrifice his career to help her recover, since she is one of his most important people, other than the player.

2. Would bring some kind of resolution to the Elachi Storyline:
After the Defense of New Romulus, I kinda felt after that cool battle sequence with the Allied and Republic fleets, it kinda felt meh compared to Cutting the Cord and so forth. It would be nice to have some kind of resolution to have a little chat with the Admirals and Tovan, and figure out what to do with Hakeev and the Romulan Star Empire/Tal Shiar.

3. He has the option to do it
We've seen a lot of officers discharged or resigned during service, including STO. I don't see why Tovan has an immunity against it, while the KDF has a story-tied BOff that can be discharged and so forth (I may be wrong). Tovan has reasons to resign his commission, to help New Romulus and Rinna, so he can just do it.

4 Cutscene?
The devs could just simply unlock the option to discharge Tovan from our ship, though with the Romulan storyline, I believe there needs to be a cutscene after the Defense of New Romulus. After the resolution, Tovan asks whether he should resign or not, to help care for his sister and help with construction and civilian work. Then there's a pop up asking whether you want to discharge him or not, and it is permanent. It's a win-win, since people who like Tovan can keep him while people who do not can discharge him for another Purple BOff, while adding more to the storyline itself.
Post edited by denliner1701 on

Comments

• Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes I like this very much. Devs please take note.

Pretty please.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Trouble is if you go back and do earlier missions you're going to need him again. Damn...he is just one boff and you'll act like he is taking up half a roster.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2013
    Add one more feature: Edit his biography
    I think that plus your plan would solve 90% of the rage
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please, please, please. Make this happen.

Just make Tovan an "optional" BOFF or give players the option of dismissing him after completing the Elachi missions and "lock out" those missions so you can't replay them since you don't have Tovan anymore.

The devs have to realize the reason so many players hate Tovan isn't because he is a bad character. In fact, he's written very well. The problem is that players are FORCED to keep him and forcing players to keep characters or items around in an RPG is always a bad idea.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ay, make Tovan as an optional bof, please.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1. Tovan has Rinna back:
    One of the reasons why Tovan was so motivated was because of Rinna, his sister.
    Now that Rinna was saved from Installation 18 and after the Elachi are gone, it feels like Tovan has the opportunity to close old wounds and to reunite with his sister on New Romulus. I feel that he wants to sacrifice his career to help her recover, since she is one of his most important people, other than the player.

Heh, I actually added a female romulan boff to my crew and named her Rinna Khev after rescuing her.

I agree that he should be dismissable after the conclusion of the missions though, I think the issue is that you can replay missions and would require him in that case.

What I'd like to see, though, is a completely seperate start for reman player characters. If you pick reman, instead of starting on virinat you start on crateris. During the tal shiar attack, you get veril as your first officer/boff instead of tovan khev, and she becomes the essential crew member with her own voice acting, replacing tovan khev for all of the main storyline missions afterwards.
    At the point during the storyline where you would normally go to crateris and rescue veril, you instead go to virinat and rescue tovan.
    All references in the story missions that claim you're from virinat would be changed to stating your origins on crateris, as well.
    Instead of a side-misison to search for rinna khev, you'd get a side mission to search for veril's father.
    Instead of starting with a t'liss warbird, you'd start with a t'varo using the reman skin/texture.
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can pretty much agree with the original post on this. My one Rihan gal, I like Tovan's skills enough to keep him. But I might not want to, if I made another Rihan character. Also, having everyone Rihan, and their grandmothers with a Bridge officer named "Tovan Khev" is just a bad idea, lol. How many clones can you really have of someone, before it turns into Star Wars? Hehe (We have our very own clone army in Star Trek now!)
    And unlike 99.99999% of everything else, what you do or don not do, really has no affect, other than maybe whether you get an accolade or not, having a mini-story mission, where your dialogue choices determine whether you keep Tovan, release him (or here's an idea, have a third option that keeps him wanting to travel with you, but with less responsibilities, ie a duty officer, so that way, he would have more time off, to be with his sister). This way, you could feel that your choice really DID have an affect on someone, other than how many points you got.
    Anywho, my 2 cents on the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    krrjakrrja Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Clones? I like it...

Renaming my captain and all my bridge officers to Tovan Khev. Now all they have to do is make that annoying tattoo on his face available for everyone instead of changing the NPC, perfect solution.
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Trouble is if you go back and do earlier missions you're going to need him again. Damn...he is just one boff and you'll act like he is taking up half a roster.

Yeah, he shows up in all the messages anyway, Even though I never bring him with me (on two of my characters anyway).

It'd just be like all those other background characters that only show up in episodes...
    How many clones can you really have of someone, before it turns into Star Wars? Hehe (We have our very own clone army in Star Trek now!)

Idea: Instead of whatever our Security/bekk equivelants are called, "Tovan Clone" - when it dies, just beam a new one in. Which come ti think of it, is how it'd work - keep him in the buffers and just stamp him out where you need him.
    edited September 2013
    krrja wrote: »
    Clones? I like it...

Renaming my captain and all my bridge officers to Tovan Khev. Now all they have to do is make that annoying tattoo on his face available for everyone instead of changing the NPC, perfect solution.

Tribal 1. It is rotated over his eye and uses a colour on the right side of the chart. For more specifics you will have to wait till I am home from work. :D

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,401 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I didn't bother recoloring the tattoo to exactly the same shade as the original in my Tovan crew, but every Rihannsu member has one. (You can't put them on a Reman, it would seem. This may lead to Touan Kheu being replaced by Toban Kheb when I pick him up.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't bother recoloring the tattoo to exactly the same shade as the original in my Tovan crew, but every Rihannsu member has one. (You can't put them on a Reman, it would seem. This may lead to Touan Kheu being replaced by Toban Kheb when I pick him up.)

When are you going to show us a screenshot of that glorious crew?
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Home.

Tattoo Tribal 1
    Colour: F20
    X pos: Just after 3pips
    X scale: 3.33pips
    Y pos: 2pips
    Y scale: 3.2pips
    Rotation: 1.1pip

Hope that helps.

Curious though how Tovan was recreated? I looked at his face and he has Tovan Khev skin, and a few other custom effects.

• Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Heh, I actually added a female romulan boff to my crew and named her Rinna Khev after rescuing her.
    lol i did the same thing :D
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    lol i did the same thing :D

And now so have I.

• Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Again I think they should have written the thing so Rinna was another choice and instead of her being missing she is part of the tutorial like Tovan was and at some point you choose one of them and the other one dies or goes away...
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd like to either be able to rename the BOF or dischage him myself. Running around some places with half a dozen Torvan's bumping in to each other is a bit of a drag even though he's got a great story to him. Really nice that he's purple quality and all but there does come a point where I like dressing up my own bridge crew my way. :cool:
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nimbull wrote: »
    I'd like to either be able to rename the BOF or dischage him myself. Running around some places with half a dozen Torvan's bumping in to each other is a bit of a drag even though he's got a great story to him. Really nice that he's purple quality and all but there does come a point where I like dressing up my own bridge crew my way. :cool:

You can dress him up all you like... Well, within the confines of the game. You can't stick him in a lilac tutu, masque & 12 inch stripper heels... Although that's probably a good thing.
    edited September 2013
    similon wrote: »
    You can dress him up all you like... Well, within the confines of the game. You can't stick him in a lilac tutu, masque & 12 inch stripper heels... Although that's probably a good thing.

That isn't enough since there's going to be multiple NPCS running around as Tovan and also the fact that they have a story beyond my own crew to some extent in the actual game universe.

Also if I could dress him up in heels and pimp him out on Drozana I would for the latinum. :D
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Devs have already said they plan on offering a way to release Tovan eventually.

Obviously there is a lot tied into him so they have to make sure doing so doesn't break the player character.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    The Devs have already said they plan on offering a way to release Tovan eventually.

Obviously there is a lot tied into him so they have to make sure doing so doesn't break the player character.

The question is why did they tied so much into him in the first place?

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    taut0u wrote: »
    The question is why did they tied so much into him in the first place?

Based on the number of named personnel you get from the romulan and new Klingon arcs? I suspect they were going to have a handful of side quest like story characters you could keep or discard. Making Tovan and K'gan purple meant you were very likely to hang onto them for a while. But with all the writing and probably re-writing as they came to crunch time. They dropped all the other plots beyond the intros. Tovan was mostly done, so they added a little polish to him and made him part of the main missions. This made him necessary to have around so they made it so you could not break things by ditching him.
    Pure conjecture on my part, but I believe logical.