What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Master Foundry Bug List

Comments

• Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2013
    Thanks to all for compiling this list. Everything on the list is written up except for a few issues which I'll list below. All but one are issues which I have not been able to reproduce, so any help you good people can provide to help me track them down will be appreciated.

I'll start with "The ability to designate a mission as Romulan." This is the one exception mentioned above. I haven't written this one up because the powers that be have decided that it will not be returning. That it even appeared at all was a mistake, and I accept a full share of the blame for not catching it before it went live. I can see and understand why you might want this as part of the Foundry, but it is not to be.

The rest are issues I have not yet been able to reproduce.

"Occasionally objects previewed in the right asset pane will show up in other asset previews widows as well as dialog boxes showing characters while previewing a map."

"On semi-rare occasions, clicking on a dialog box in the dialog editor to edit text will immediately close requiring several attempts for it to stay open. (This may be related to latency at high load times.)"

These two are obviously not 100% repro issues, the bane of QA Testers everywhere. Can those of you who've seen these think of any situations where you see them most often?

"The following items are rooms, but the Foundry will attempt to push the player/NPCs out on spawn or when transitioning the object to visible.
    ? Transporter Room
    ? Holodeck 01
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-In
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-Out"

Does anyone have a project where this is currently happening? If so, let me know its Mission ID and I'll check it out.

"Transporter Room asset will cause objects on pre-made maps to disappear." Can anyone give me an example of a map where this occurs? What objects are disappearing?

"Federation Lockers have random open/closed states. (This causes issues when attempting to use specific versions.)" On this one, I'm finding that only Detail ? Locker Wall 02 is open while all the others are closed. I even put all the Fed lockers on a map and hit Reset Map about 100 times and nothing changed. Is this only happening after publishing?

And that's it. I've got everything else documented.

Once again, thanks for all of your help.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2013
    I'll start with "The ability to designate a mission as Romulan." This is the one exception mentioned above. I haven't written this one up because the powers that be have decided that it will not be returning. That it even appeared at all was a mistake, and I accept a full share of the blame for not catching it before it went live. I can see and understand why you might want this as part of the Foundry, but it is not to be.

Naturally I think we're all going to be disappointed by this. If you could speak - or get someone else on the team to speak - as to why it will not be returning, I'm sure that would help us understand, especially as it is something we were specifically told by dstahl was coming.

Anyway, much appreciation to you for writing all this up. I'm sure we'll come up with some more.

I wish I could tell you I had a mission with the holodeck so you could see how it works. I have three missions on the KDF side that are "holodeck programs" and I had intended at the end to spawn the holodeck asset around the player, but as soon as I figured out that doing so would push the player to one side instead, I just eliminated that part and ended the missions without it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    First off, CrypticFrost, let me say how much I greatly appreciate you not only taking the time to get these issues logged, but also keeping apprised of the situation. Your line of communication is one of the greatest assets to the Foundry community. So I will try to get you as much info as I can.

We had a pretty good idea that this wasn't meant to get out, so no one was surprised when it disappeared. However, if you are saying it isn't coming back, this information is different that what we've been told. We have actually expecting this feature to hit for several months. Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions, or worse, starts raging about it, I'd like to get further clarification from the department lead. I hope you'll nudge the people in charge to provide further details.

Now I have my own theories as to why the team may be having difficulties with this feature, but I do feel that getting this in sooner rather than later is of great importance to both the Foundry and the Romulan faction.

"Occasionally objects previewed in the right asset pane will show up in other asset previews widows as well as dialog boxes showing characters while previewing a map."

I think I may be able to come up with some repo stepf for this. I'll be back with more information.
    "On semi-rare occasions, clicking on a dialog box in the dialog editor to edit text will immediately close requiring several attempts for it to stay open. (This may be related to latency at high load times.)"

This one is much more rare and difficult to reproduce. I do have one small bit of info that might help. I've noticed recently than some times if I click the text editing box too quickly after it opens, the UI seems to register the click on items behind the box. This some times results in it accidentally creating a new dialog box (because the button is right behind where the expanded text box is.) There is sometimes a slugishness in the resonse of a text box expanding of about a half second to a second during higher volumes. The best time to test for this would be during peak load times in the evening.
    "The following items are rooms, but the Foundry will attempt to push the player/NPCs out on spawn or when transitioning the object to visible.
    ? Transporter Room
    ? Holodeck 01
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-In
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-Out"

Does anyone have a project where this is currently happening? If so, let me know its Mission ID and I'll check it out.

I should be able to build a test map for this. I'll get back to you.
    "Transporter Room asset will cause objects on pre-made maps to disappear." Can anyone give me an example of a map where this occurs? What objects are disappearing?

This is one of the assets ZeroniousRex ported in for us, and she most likely pulled it just as it was out of an existing map. The object seems to have a region (an volume designed to hide detail objects when the player is on another part of the map.) It doesn't affect placed objects, only those baked onto a map. I can definitely repo this bug. I'll get back to you with an example.
    "Federation Lockers have random open/closed states. (This causes issues when attempting to use specific versions.)" On this one, I'm finding that only Detail ? Locker Wall 02 is open while all the others are closed. I even put all the Fed lockers on a map and hit Reset Map about 100 times and nothing changed. Is this only happening after publishing?

This is more usability issue than a bug. The lockers are basically set up to be randomly open or closed. You have to actually preview a map several times to see it. The same lockers will sometimes be open or closed. My guess is that they made it this way so one could dump a bunch of lockers onto a map and not have them all look the same. This issue comes in that we as authors like to build more complex constructs out of basic assets and an object that isn't consistent is unreliable. I wouldn't mind leaving one of the lockers as random, but I'd want it clearly marked as so.

And that's it. I've got everything else documented.

Once again, thanks for all of your help.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I have seen both of the above OFTEN in the Foundry editor.

The first can usually be produced by the following steps:
    1. Place an NPC group on the map.
    2. Select an item or NPC contact on the right pane so that it's preview shows up.
    3. Select one of the actors in the NPC group.
    At this point what often happens is that the object last selected shows up in the property sheet's preview window. This is especially true if the item selected was an NPC Contact.

It can also often be reproduced this way:
    1. Place an NPC group on the map
    2. Select the first actor and change its costume
    3. Select a second actor with a default costume and the property sheet will display the costume selected for the prior actor.

Or in this way:
    1. Select an NPC group that's already been placed on the map that has a mix of selected and default costumes.
    2. Click on an actor with a selected costume
    3. Click on an actor with a default costume -- the prior costume will be displayed.

The second item I can reproduce consistently, if it is the same thing that I've been bothered by:
    1. Create a new dialog
    2. Go to Advanced Dialog
    3. Click the cursor "high" on the upper left corner of the dialog area. (Placing the hotspot of the I-beam cursor above the baseline of the first line of text.)
    4. The dialog area will expand and then contract back again so that you can't enter text.

The workaround for this one is to click lower (deeper) into the dialog region, with the mouse hotspot between where the first and second line of text would be.

This one happens to me a lot because often just the first line of text is showing in the window and I'm too lazy to scroll the dialog map up before clicking to edit the text.

If it would help, I can make some videos of these two issues if they are still not reproducible on your end.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Several costumes are missing their associated combadges.

In particular, while TOS shirts can be used, TOS badges cannot. I believe the Mirror combadge is missing entirely.

Ground costumes really need a pass unless something changed recently.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Guys, I really think we should move the bombshell about the Romulans to a different thread so as not to derail the bug thread. It is a bombshell, and we need to raise hell about it, as well as throw back every quote from every interview of dstahl.

This was the essence of any information about a significant update during this time, and we should demand answers from the powers that be.

Sorry to make you cringe, GD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    donperk wrote: »

The second item I can reproduce consistently, if it is the same thing that I've been bothered by:
    1. Create a new dialog
    2. Go to Advanced Dialog
    3. Click the cursor "high" on the upper left corner of the dialog area. (Placing the hotspot of the I-beam cursor above the baseline of the first line of text.)
    4. The dialog area will expand and then contract back again so that you can't enter text.

The workaround for this one is to click lower (deeper) into the dialog region, with the mouse hotspot between where the first and second line of text would be.

This one happens to me a lot because often just the first line of text is showing in the window and I'm too lazy to scroll the dialog map up before clicking to edit the text.

If it would help, I can make some videos of these two issues if they are still not reproducible on your end.

Wow. I never would have figured this out, since my instinct was to click the part of the box that I wanted to type in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013

1. Create a new dialog
    2. Go to Advanced Dialog

Thanks, I've got this one now. I'll be looking at the others on Monday.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The lockers might only change on the initial map load. It's like when the assets are initially selected for the map, some are set to be open and others closed.

I don't have a huge problem with lockers being randomly open or closed, but it would be nice to have the random ones labeled and also to have others that are set to open or closed.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nagorak wrote: »
    The lockers might only change on the initial map load. It's like when the assets are initially selected for the map, some are set to be open and others closed.

I don't have a huge problem with lockers being randomly open or closed, but it would be nice to have the random ones labeled and also to have others that are set to open or closed.

Personally, I'd like to see all items that have a random display labeled with "(random)" in the name and/or a notation that "the item will select one of x costumes randomly on spawn" in the description. While I will admit I was pleasantly surprised to see that "Potted Plant 04" has a random costume, it had me scratching my head for a while thinking I was losing my mind until I figured it out.

And I'll second the request to make sure there are non-random versions of things like the lockers in addition to the current random ones.

Though, honestly, this whole discussion of random lockers and other random objects probably doesn't belong in the "bugs" thread since the items work as designed. This is more of a feature request. (Sorry -- I'm a software engineering manager and I'd be shifting this from the defect pile to the feature request pile in my shop.)
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks, I've got this one now. I'll be looking at the others on Monday.

*Heavy sigh* I wish we had a Dev to share our bug-related games with...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Edit: Donperk fixed my problem, so the cause of my bug report is listed after this post. Still, I leave this post to show how the bug affects authors like myself:

Alright, here goes. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not working as intended, or maybe its a limitation by design.

Basically I was testing out new features with the dialog prompt trigger. Here are the steps to reproduce

Ground map

1. Put two npc contacts on a map
    2. Rename them npc A and npc B.
    3. In the storyboard, put a talk to contact objective, set to talk to contact A.
    4. In the advanced dialogue editor, have the dialogue go something like this. Npc says "hello." button 1: "You're cool." button 2: "You're ugly. Each button is followed by an appropriate response like "Thanks." or "how rude." Both answers are success.

5. On npc B, click has default text.
    6. In the advanced dialogue editor, she says hello with two buttons: button 1: "Hello." button 2: "Hi.'
    7. Set button 1 to become visible using DPT "Thanks." Follow it with something like "I see you are being diplomatic." Set button 2 to be visible with DPT "How rude." have it followed by something like "Why are you being so rude?" Also, notice here that if you click on a button in the adv dial editor, the illustration of triggers below does not change. you have to select the button on the left of the triggers.
    8. Now play map. It works beautifully and is awesome. NPC B will either commend you or dress you down for how you interacted with NPC A.

However, if the first npc is not part of a talk to contact, but is instead simply on the map with "has default text" set up in a similar way, this doesn't work. Both buttons show in the second npc. So, try to do exactly what you just did, but with two npcs that aren't part of the storyboard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Alright, here goes. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not working as intended, or maybe its a limitation by design.

Basically I was testing out new features with the dialog prompt trigger. Here are the steps to reproduce

Ground map

1. Put two npc contacts on a map
    2. Rename them npc A and npc B.
    3. In the storyboard, put a talk to contact objective, set to talk to contact A.
    4. In the advanced dialogue editor, have the dialogue go something like this. Npc says "hello." button 1: "You're cool." button 2: "You're ugly. Each button is followed by an appropriate response like "Thanks." or "how rude." Both answers are success.

5. On npc B, click has default text.
    6. In the advanced dialogue editor, she says hello with two buttons: button 1: "Hello." button 2: "Hi.'
    7. Set button 1 to become visible using DPT "Thanks." Follow it with something like "I see you are being diplomatic." Set button 2 to be visible with DPT "How rude." have it followed by something like "Why are you being so rude?" Also, notice here that if you click on a button in the adv dial editor, the illustration of triggers below does not change. you have to select the button on the left of the triggers.
    8. Now play map. It works beautifully and is awesome. NPC B will either commend you or dress you down for how you interacted with NPC A.

However, if the first npc is not part of a talk to contact, but is instead simply on the map with "has default text" set up in a similar way, this doesn't work. Both buttons show in the second npc. So, try to do exactly what you just did, but with two npcs that aren't part of the storyboard.

In your second scenario, did the map have an objective -- ANY objective? We've found (see this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=853201) that if there is no objective defined for the map then the dialog triggers don't work in the Foundry sandbox, but once the map has an objective, the triggers start miraculously working.

Of course, this is still probably a bug -- but a more generalized cause for the behavior than what you've outlined above if it is the case.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    In your second scenario, did the map have an objective -- ANY objective? We've found (see this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=853201) that if there is no objective defined for the map then the dialog triggers don't work in the Foundry sandbox, but once the map has an objective, the triggers start miraculously working.

Of course, this is still probably a bug -- but a more generalized cause for the behavior than what you've outlined above if it is the case.

OK, yes, this fixed my problem. Thank you donperk. My bug report is not about the issue that I thought it was. Dialog Prompt Triggers are not working properly if there is no objective in the storyboard for that map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    OK, yes, this fixed my problem. Thank you donperk. My bug report is not about the issue that I thought it was. Dialog Prompt Triggers are not working properly if there is no objective in the storyboard for that map.

Your welcome! Though I would note that the credit for characterizing when the triggers break belongs to thegreendragoon1. I was whinging about the problem and everyone thought I was a bit crazy until dragoon reproduced it and realized the lack of an objective was the defining factor for having the triggers fail.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have seen both of the above OFTEN in the Foundry editor.

Thanks for posting these, Donperk. The more details we can post the more likely the bug can be nailed down.
    Several costumes are missing their associated combadges.

In particular, while TOS shirts can be used, TOS badges cannot. I believe the Mirror combadge is missing entirely.

Ground costumes really need a pass unless something changed recently.

As a general rule, I've avoided adding new assets to the list as this is specificly about bugs, however I can point you to a list of missing costumes that CrypticFrost himself started here.
    Guys, I really think we should move the bombshell about the Romulans to a different thread so as not to derail the bug thread. It is a bombshell, and we need to raise hell about it, as well as throw back every quote from every interview of dstahl.

This was the essence of any information about a significant update during this time, and we should demand answers from the powers that be.

Sorry to make you cringe, GD.

Thank you, Kirkfat. If anyone wishes to discuss it further, Kirkfat has started a thread here.

I need to sit down and test to make sure which are random and not. Ideally, there would be one open, one closed and one (clearly marked) random.

While obviously, you'd never have a published map with no objectives, I can see cases where this is undesirable if you are just testing trigger interactions. Especially since this trigger isn't one of the ones tied to objectives.

One update of my own, I've been testing the pushing NPCs outside issue with room assets and I need to make a couple updates. First, I can remove the Holodeck Fade in/out as these assets have no collision and therefore can't push anything. I'm still testing with the remaining two and hope to have an example soon.

I'm also still working on a example for the Transporter, disappearing map details bug too.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    "(0,0,0) Bug" (markhawkman's term), afflicting space custom map "Dreon VII - High Orbit" of Starfleet mission "Bait and Switch", project ID ST-HMVK8ZDAT. Thread where I asked if there was any word on a fix coming through the pipeline, since I was informed here that this issue had been seen before.

Just filed a ticket through the "Report a Bug" option in the Foundry editor help menu, but it didn't give me a ticket ID.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The coordinate numbers are limited to displaying only 6 significant figures (6 digits, whether before or after the decimal place). With large values (over 1000), particularly in the Y coordinate, this results in them frequently being rounded to the nearest whole number. It would be better if at least 7 significant figure were displayed, or a set number of digits were displayed after the decimal place (ie always to the thousandth).
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Vulcan Vase - Large 01 & Vulcan Vase - Large 02 are listed/only available as buildings, even though they seem like they should be detail objects.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The coordinate numbers are limited to displaying only 6 significant figures (6 digits, whether before or after the decimal place). With large values (over 1000), particularly in the Y coordinate, this results in them frequently being rounded to the nearest whole number. It would be better if at least 7 significant figure were displayed, or a set number of digits were displayed after the decimal place (ie always to the thousandth).

I know I'm being nitpicky, but this is not really a defect -- I'm pretty sure this is by design. This item should probably be moved to a feature/enhancement request thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ? Transporter Room
    ? Holodeck 01
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-In
    ? Holodeck 01 Fade-Out"

First off, I finally have a test case for you CrypticFrost for two issues related to the Transporter Room:

Mission Title: Greendragoon's Bug Test Project
    Mission ID: ST-HJMSRGMEY

The first map demonstrates both the Transporter Room asset causing objects to dissapear, and pushing the player out. (Note: This is the same project I passed you for the Mirror NPC beam in bug. I decided to consolidate my bug test scenarios into one project to save slots.)
    starswordc wrote: »
    "(0,0,0) Bug" (markhawkman's term), afflicting space custom map "Dreon VII - High Orbit" of Starfleet mission "Bait and Switch", project ID ST-HMVK8ZDAT. Thread where I asked if there was any word on a fix coming through the pipeline, since I was informed here that this issue had been seen before.

Just filed a ticket through the "Report a Bug" option in the Foundry editor help menu, but it didn't give me a ticket ID.

I've added it to the list, but the exact conditions which cause this to happen are still vague. If you find any further details about what specifically causes this to happen it will make it that much easier to track down the bug.

If it's six digits, wouldn't it need to be 100,000 before you lost all decimal places? One thousand should be 1000.00, right? Either way, it sounds like a floating point restriction which may be a fundamental limitation of the engine. I know in the past that Tumerboy has mentioned this as the primary limiter of map size in STO.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    First off, I finally have a test case for you CrypticFrost for two issues related to the Transporter Room:

Mission Title: Greendragoon's Bug Test Project
    Mission ID: ST-HJMSRGMEY

The first map demonstrates both the Transporter Room asset causing objects to dissapear, and pushing the player out. (Note: This is the same project I passed you for the Mirror NPC beam in bug. I decided to consolidate my bug test scenarios into one project to save slots.)

Thanks for the assist!
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Also, any chance we can get the Boff pathing on the interior map templates fixed? I've got one in "Bait and Switch" where I'm using the Defiant-class interior (full of narrow hatchways and corridors, granted) and I can't even get out of the transporter room without my redshirts getting caught in doorways. Luckily that map's just a mission briefing with no combat.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Also, any chance we can get the Boff pathing on the interior map templates fixed? I've got one in "Bait and Switch" where I'm using the Defiant-class interior (full of narrow hatchways and corridors, granted) and I can't even get out of the transporter room without my redshirts getting caught in doorways. Luckily that map's just a mission briefing with no combat.

tbh bugs that are only in preview and are "fixed" for published missions are most likely going to be very low priority
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    tbh bugs that are only in preview and are "fixed" for published missions are most likely going to be very low priority

I've seen similar issues in published maps based on templates, too.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I've seen similar issues in published maps based on templates, too.

The problem here is in preview, there's no pathing info added to the maps, hence your Bridge Officers' navigation problems. There are also a few template maps, either whole or in part that fail to get pathing info added to them when published. I've got all the ones that have been reported thus far written up. So, known issue but that's really all I can say.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I finally got the locker thing figured out. Detail - Locker Wall 01 is the one that will randomize being open or closed. Detail - Locker Wall 02 is always open and Detail - Locker Wall 03 and Detail - Locker Wall 04 are always closed.

That catches me up on the list here, at least until you guys find something new.

Thanks again for all the help in tracking these down.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The problem here is in preview, there's no pathing info added to the maps, hence your Bridge Officers' navigation problems. There are also a few template maps, either whole or in part that fail to get pathing info added to them when published. I've got all the ones that have been reported thus far written up. So, known issue but that's really all I can say.
    So if I'm lucky it'll sort itself out when I publish? Then I won't worry about it.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited September 2013
    If it's six digits, wouldn't it need to be 100,000 before you lost all decimal places? One thousand should be 1000.00, right? Either way, it sounds like a floating point restriction which may be a fundamental limitation of the engine. I know in the past that Tumerboy has mentioned this as the primary limiter of map size in STO.

That's true, but the problem is it rounds it to the nearest digit it can display. So if you set a floor to 1200.001 it just displays 1200. I guess I can fix this issue for myself by building at 900 instead of 1200.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Pool Cue Stick 01 description states it is laying flat, but it is actually standing up and appears to be identical to Pool Cue Stick 02.
This discussion has been closed.