test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you consider the "canon" uniform?

undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
All of the promo material used the "Sierra" series, but in-game, most use the "Antares" uniforms, except for named characters.

So which do you think would be the more "official" look for bridge officers?
Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
Post edited by undedavenger on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would say the Odyssey uniform, but you have to buy it with dilithium from a T3 fleet starbase that's unlocked the tailor. In other words, limited. Great uniform though.

So that aside, I would say Sierra 1 because that's what Handsome Phaser Guy wears, and definitely not Antares 1 because it's just plain ugly. :)
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Technically, the whole uniform customization thing IS canonized by flavor texts in-game. But if I were to judge which individual one, it would be either Jupiter or Odyssey for 2409-year ships, and Antares in older ships.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    all of them.

seems to me, every ship ever shown has had a different uniform configuration....
    edited August 2013
    I realize all the options were added to personalize gameplay, but there is a trend in the game for certain groups or rank levels to wear a particular uniform.

I agree the Antares uniforms are the ugliest, but they are the ones used most often. The Jupiter uniforms make good dress uniforms, but they are too outrageously impractical for day-to-day duty uniforms.

I prefer the Sierras, but few in-game wear the standard Sierra 1, despite "handsome phaser guy".

Starfleet has never used such an insane amount of variants. It would be nice if we could design uniforms for ranks and divisions on our own accounts, and that is all that would show up in our view of the game, so each person sees it as they want to see it.

I've never even heard of the Odyssey uniforms, but they look a little bland to me now that I've looked them up.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The next generation film ones as it's the last one we saw on film

Unless you count the UGLY jar jar ones
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I see a lot of the people wearing the First Contact-Nemesis uniform, but it's no more "canon" to the 25th century than the TOS or TNG uniforms. It's a retro uniform, and it breaks immersion as no NPC wears it.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I see a lot of the people wearing the First Contact-Nemesis uniform, but it's no more "canon" to the 25th century than the TOS or TNG uniforms. It's a retro uniform, and it breaks immersion as no NPC wears it.
    I'm sorry if I break immersion, but I only wear cool uniform.
    I think the "canon" uniform is the one your BOFFs have when they join your crew, but it's really ugly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sigh.

Canon for the GAME. Meaning what fits in best.

Trolling with irrelevant pics is childish.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For me, I think it's a toss between the Jupiter series and the Odyssey uniform. If I remember correctly, the Jupiter series was supposed to be the canon uniform at one point. The Odyssey design just seems to fit as the logical successor to the Nemesis uniform.
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd say Odyssey.

Which is a pity, as I don't have it.:rolleyes:
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Several NPCs in the shipyard on DS9 wear it.

As for my canon choice, Odyssey. It follows the same design lineage as previous canon uniforms; it also follows the design lineage of the academy uniforms, which suggests you graduate from one to the other.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sigh.

Canon for the GAME. Meaning what fits in best.

Trolling with irrelevant pics is childish.

I'm sorry you thought I was trolling, and that the pics were "irrelevant." Your OP didn't specify "canon for the game," nor "what fits in best." I gave you a serious answer. I prefer TOS uniforms. To me, they will always be the epitome of Star Trek. If you ask a question, expect people to answer. If you want a specific sort of answer, ask a specific question.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    If you want a specific sort of answer, ask a specific question.

My new motto. Thank you.
  • Options
    tain4tain4 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Several NPCs wear it. Go to Ds9.

Its the one I use exclusively as it is the last show canon uniform we have seen chronologically. I like the other canon uniforms but they are just too much out of place as their era was over when ST was still running on television. The Game uniforms are a step backwards in design in my opinion, are of way too heavy construction relative to anything we have ever seen starfleet wear and some of them look more like wetsuits or stillsuits from Dune than a starfleet uniform.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013

The NPCs on the Fleet Dilithium Mine wear them, too.

I have a feeling some dev responsible for populating the zones would give them to all NPCs if he had his way.

Otherwise as an official 25th century uniform it's propably the black one with red/blue/gold shoulder pads.

It should be one that is made of actual fabrik and not plastic, though.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If I could change what the starship crew wears (not my boffs, but the dudes who are walking around hallways and so forth in the ship interior), it would be to the late DS9/TNG film uniforms, as those were the last uniforms we saw in the Prime universe, and because they're really good.

Otherwise, I stick to the default. Antares 1 or whatever, and have every character and boff wear them so that they blend. EDIT Which, actually, I'm ok with as I don't find it ugly. There's something vaguely TOS-like about it, especially the TOS pilot uniforms.

It drives me nuts that visiting ESD and every locale in the game has everyone run around in custom uniforms. I accept it, because there's no real way to change it, but it's just... not... how a uniform works in real life.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've alternated between the Odyssey uniform and the Jupiter veteran uniforms (copying the latter from the mannequin on the fleet base).
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Odyssey, there should be an option to have client side see all NPC's and other PC's in this uniform.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well (as others have stated) the in game notes say that starfleet gave captains a bit of leeway to pick uniforms they prefer. While this was obviously so people would actually play the game, I like to think it shows that starfleet have taken a less formal approach and now allow everyone to dress up as firefly characters or whatever...

If I were to pick the one I thought was most appropriate for the official uniform, I'd have to go for Enterprise. It's the only one that looks like you could actually work in it.
    edited August 2013
    TNG-movie/later DS9 uniforms now and forever, followed closely by WoK. If only I could see all NPCs dressed as either :(
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like the Seirra 1 uniforms quite a lot. They're so much better than the ugly Antarese 1 uniforms. I tend to vary between that and the TNG film/DS9 uniforms.

Now that I've seen the Odyssey uniforms though, I really like it.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For what it's worth, the in-game Sierra uniform are the same as the Starfleet uniforms seen in the Countdown comic, which was the prequel to the 2009 movie, telling the story of Spock and Nero's efforts to stop the Hobus supernova. A lot of STO's continuity is based on the events of that comic series.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use the All Good Things uniform variant on my Federation characters.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I prefer the Sierra 1 uniform out of the choices for 25th Century uniforms available w/o C-Store purchases. In my opinion, the Sierra 1 design maintains the style of previous uniforms all the way back to TNG while showing a progression in design consistant with changing times.
    Doesn't mean I'm not above using other uniform styles such as TNG, WoK, or even Enterprise. However... for my BOffs... its Sierra 1 all the way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Either All Good Things, Odyssey, or Sierra 1.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    TNG-movie/later DS9 uniforms now and forever, followed closely by WoK. If only I could see all NPCs dressed as either :(

I know that feel bro.

That being said though, the Odyssey uniform is very well done, and actually looks like something that would actually appear in a Star Trek series. I would be very happy if the Odyssey were the Default for all the NPC's. The Antares and Sierra sets deserve to burn.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All Good Things/Endgame.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    protogoth wrote: »

Bravo, sir :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif