captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Me.

10 chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The new threat to the universe is...

Greed + Incompetence + ignorance
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    The new threat to the universe is...

Greed + Incompetence + ignorance

That too

/10 char
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You guys are forgetting, its not just looking for someone who has means, motive and opportunity, but you also have to consider how the group's actions and motives would tie into the current Iconian plot.

I'm still going with the Vaadwaur. They were scattered survivors looking to rebuild, perfect opportunity for the Iconians to show up, point them in direction of remnants of their former empire and the technogical treasure troves of the former Iconian empire.

The subspace corridors would also give the devs the opportunity to introduce places and races from throughout voyager, as the corridors stretched pretty much the length of Voyager's journey through the delta quadrant.
  • Options
    zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I found her acting to be far preferable to William Shatner and Scott Bacula's acting.

I have a hypothesis that the vast majority of Janeway haters just want to see themselves being the captain of their favorite show and they get unnerved about trying to think about themselves as a female captain. The Voyager series had far worse problems than Mulgrew, who I think put on a brilliant performance despite all the other problems in the show, like Harry Kim the Forever Ensign, or the overuse of shakey cam.

If you think Mulgrew was bad, check out the original actress who was chosen to play Janeway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0 Now HER acting was attrocious. I can't begin to think how badly she would butcher the line Janeway had later in the series: "there's coffee in that nebula"

A grain of truth in this but I just identified with Chakotay more as a result on a personal level without hating her or her character. I never thought Janeway or Mulgrew were bad. I actually like Mulgrew's performance but I thought she was saddled with some awful and inconsistent writing at points that she somehow overcame even if it did hurt on her appearances onscreen. Though in fairness toward the end, watching the actors and actresses on the show it really started to feel like none of them wanted to be there while watching...
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aaronh42 wrote: »
    You guys are forgetting, its not just looking for someone who has means, motive and opportunity, but you also have to consider how the group's actions and motives would tie into the current Iconian plot.

I'm still going with the Vaadwaur. They were scattered survivors looking to rebuild, perfect opportunity for the Iconians to show up, point them in direction of remnants of their former empire and the technogical treasure troves of the former Iconian empire.

The subspace corridors would also give the devs the opportunity to introduce places and races from throughout voyager, as the corridors stretched pretty much the length of Voyager's journey through the delta quadrant.

The Vaadwaur just don't seem to be type to be pawns to another race. They were former conquerors and it takes generations to force former conquerors to be satisfied with their life as pawns. If the Vaadwaur is going to use Iconian technology, then either they find it on some desolate planet or have some mysterious benefactor that will be revealed to be the Iconians. Personally, I see them more interested in taking care of the Borg and the races that destroyed their empire before they deal with the Federation.

Also, not everything is an Iconian plot and doing so would make the whole Iconian ally motive overused. Future Iconian allies should be alien races that have never been encountered before or were briefly mentioned in some episode. So nothing is really known about them. It is bad enough that the Undine and Tal Shiar are pawns of the Iconians or at least in the case of the Undine, pawns that don't know they are pawns.