Install Arc

The new threat to the universe is...

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is he a Romulan or was he really "Captain Archer all along?"
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, Mulgrew's acting was very good. The problem with Janeway was the writing. The writers on Voyager were absolutely god awful terrible. And in Enterprise, you had the same poor quality writers and they were phoning it in even more.

Even the best actors can look bad with crappy scripts.

This: 10th Dr Who was awesome.

Then a writer changed, Matts good acting was no match for rubbish writing.

Back on topic, even if it was possible, it would be cool

XINDI WOULD BE FAR MORE AWESOME IN MY OPINION! :D
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Right now it's Cryptic itself....................
    Please grow up or at least put up a YouTube video of yourself crying.

I know right? How dare he say anything negative about the perfection that is Cryptic. The single greatest video game developer in the history of everything. The greatest thing to ever happen to Star Trek. The makers of not only the best Star Trek game, but the Best. Game. Ever.

Who the **** is he to bad mouth Cryptic!? Cryptic is the greatest threat to the Star Trek universe? Poppycock I say!

Someone find out where he lives. Lets go there with our pitch forks and torches. Have ourselves a good ol' fashioned lynching. That'll learn him for saying anything bad about the awesomeness that is Cryptic.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So the news we have been given about the new enemy in Season 8 is they appear in a Space Adventure Zone, introduced in Voyager, and are new to the game. So obviously it is a Delta Quadrant opponent which leaves out the Borg, Undine, and Hirogen because they are not new to the game. So that leaves motive, means, and ability to be a threat to the Federation.

Even if the story about the Viidians being cured is false, then there are far more appetizing targets than people that lived thousands of lightyears away. The Krennim might have the means to get to the Federation and be a threat, but they don't have the motive to be a problem. The alien that introduced Quantum Slipstream technology to Voyager has the means and motive to be a threat, but as far as we know, they are extinct. It would require some backstory like a ship or colony was overlooked. The Vaadwaur have the means to get to the Federation and the motive to be a threat, but their technology is outdated so it would require some time to get their society up to a level to be a threat besides being a nuisance through pillaging and I don't think they can do it in 30 years. If the game was set in 2509, then they could be a threat. There is always a possibility that they could use some minor and forgettable race or a race that was merely mentioned and not encountered in Voyager, but my bet is on a faction of the Voth.

The Voth have the technology to get to Earth and be a threat and the motive to destroy Earth. Earth is proof that their Doctrine is wrong and if a good portion of the Voth race start to believe in the Earth Origin theory, then the Voth leaders would need to destroy Earth to destroy the proof that their Doctrine is wrong. If the Earth Origin supporters can't find Earth DNA to support their theory, then the theory has no credence. So destroy Earth and every single human that exists in the galaxy. They also don't need planets so it makes a good enemy to be in a Space Adventure Zone.
  • mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    So the news we have been given about the new enemy in Season 8 is they appear in a Space Adventure Zone, introduced in Voyager, and are new to the game. So obviously it is a Delta Quadrant opponent which leaves out the Borg, Undine, and Hirogen because they are not new to the game. So that leaves motive, means, and ability to be a threat to the Federation.

Even if the story about the Viidians being cured is false, then there are far more appetizing targets than people that lived thousands of lightyears away. The Krennim might have the means to get to the Federation and be a threat, but they don't have the motive to be a problem. The alien that introduced Quantum Slipstream technology to Voyager has the means and motive to be a threat, but as far as we know, they are extinct. It would require some backstory like a ship or colony was overlooked. The Vaadwaur have the means to get to the Federation and the motive to be a threat, but their technology is outdated so it would require some time to get their society up to a level to be a threat besides being a nuisance through pillaging and I don't think they can do it in 30 years. If the game was set in 2509, then they could be a threat. There is always a possibility that they could use some minor and forgettable race or a race that was merely mentioned and not encountered in Voyager, but my bet is on a faction of the Voth.

The Voth have the technology to get to Earth and be a threat and the motive to destroy Earth. Earth is proof that their Doctrine is wrong and if a good portion of the Voth race start to believe in the Earth Origin theory, then the Voth leaders would need to destroy Earth to destroy the proof that their Doctrine is wrong. If the Earth Origin supporters can't find Earth DNA to support their theory, then the theory has no credence. So destroy Earth and every single human that exists in the galaxy. They also don't need planets so it makes a good enemy to be in a Space Adventure Zone.

That's a good well thought out theory. The Voth would be the most logical Voyager bad guy to bring back. Much more so than the Kazon or Vidians. So that probably means it will be either the Kazon or the Vidians. Or some other one off forehead race that no one cares about.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mrj58 wrote: »
    Much more so than the Kazon or Vidians. So that probably means it will be either the Kazon or the Vidians. Or some other one off forehead race that no one cares about.

if cryptic uses them as the next bad guy they didnt watch Voy very well because only thing made them big and bad was they out numbering one ship that was not meant to be a combat ship let along a ship 70000 light years away from starfleet kernim or voth are only 2 that could take on the the mighty Federation

kernim could erase the Federation from history sorry had to :)

Voth could beam earth in to their city ship :P

no other one could mach them 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Couple things...

First off, it will be the Voth.

Second, don't bash Mulgrew's acting. She did a fantastic job with a role that was very poorly written. It was not a lack of acting talent that made Janeway an inconsistent and strangely structured character.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And my theory- the Voth left Earth with help from the Iconians and their gateways.
    edited July 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if cryptic uses them as the next bad guy they didnt watch Voy very well because only thing made them big and bad was they out numbering one ship that was not meant to be a combat ship let along a ship 70000 light years away from starfleet kernim or voth are only 2 that could take on the the mighty Federation

kernim could erase the Federation from history sorry had to :)

Voth could beam earth in to their city ship :P

no other one could mach them 2

Motive is the most important thing in an enemy. With the Krenim, their only contact with Voyager was minimal. Just a simple communication suggesting Janeway to avoid Krenim space. While the Krenim could build the Krenim Weapon ship, there is no need for them to use it in the Alpha Quadrant.

We only saw one City ship and one Research vessel for the Voth. I am sure that they have some military fleet to protect their resources. The big city ship wasn't what made them big and bad. It was the Transwarp technology and them being centuries ahead of Starfleet. The only race that had Transwarp technology before the Voth was the Borg that we know of so Transwarp technology is something limited to very few advanced races.
    edited July 2013
    We only saw one City ship and one Research vessel for the Voth. I am sure that they have some military fleet to protect their resources. The big city ship wasn't what made them big and bad. It was the Transwarp technology and them being centuries ahead of Starfleet. The only race that had Transwarp technology before the Voth was the Borg that we know of so Transwarp technology is something limited to very few advanced races.

oh so them turning off all the power to all the starfleet little toys did not make them big and bad ? them beaming in entire starship in to their city ship didnt make them big and bad their cloaking tech didnt help to? ?

did we watch the same episode about the voth?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i totally doubt the undine since they are not even a race from the DELTA QUADREN (sorry if i miss spelled it) they are from fluidic space. i'm going with whatever race made the thing that sent voyager to the delta quadrent.

edited July 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    oh so them turning off all the power to all the starfleet little toys did not make them big and bad ? them beaming in entire starship in to their city ship didnt make them big and bad their cloaking tech didnt help to? ?

did we watch the same episode about the voth?

That is part of the whole being centuries ahead of Starfleet. Big ships don't necessarily mean that they are big and bad. Very advanced technology makes them big and bad.
    edited July 2013
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    i totally doubt the undine since they are not even a race from the DELTA QUADREN (sorry if i miss spelled it) they are from fluidic space. i'm going with whatever race made the thing that sent voyager to the delta quadrent.

The State of the Game mentioned a deadly new enemy introduced in Voyager. While the Undine were introduced in Voyager, they are not a new enemy to Star Trek Online. The Caretaker which is part of the Nacene is what you are thinking of. There are only two Nacene that are in Voyager, but the motive is missing for them to be a threat. The Alpha Quadrant is probably beneath the other Nacenes' notice so I doubt they will be introduced as an enemy. Could make for an interesting first contact mission though.
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Voth weren't centuries ahead, they were millions of years ahead. Their only limitation was being nomadic and following a religious doctrine that limited new ideas.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
    edited July 2013
    That is part of the whole being centuries ahead of Starfleet. Big ships don't necessarily mean that they are big and bad. Very advanced technology makes them big and bad.

ok my bad miss read that bit its just out of all the bad guys in voyager the krenim and the voth where the most compelling enemies throughout Voyager kazon were nothing more then bullies vidiians....... i cant peg them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chainfall wrote: »
    The Voth weren't centuries ahead, they were millions of years ahead. Their only limitation was being nomadic and following a religious doctrine that limited new ideas.

Well, considering that there's a hundred years in a century, technically they are centuries ahead. Just tens of millions of them. :D
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hrm the new enemy should be

The race janeway didnt conquer on a weekly basis due to plot holes and magic dust lol
    edited July 2013

Not necessarily. Look at 29th and 31st Century Starfleet. They could track down temporal disturbances and fix them. There is also the Enterprise-J which while it came from another timeline, was built in the 26th Century. There is no evidence that the Voth had any type of temporal technology and it took thousands of years for transwarp technology to occur for them due to Doctrine. The Excelsior was built to test transwarp technology and that is only 2 centuries after Cochrane's first warp drive test. Religious doctrine can make progress grind a crawl so because one race took millions of years to get there doesn't mean other races will take that long. So the Federation can catch up to the Voth in centuries.

The Voth remind me of the reptilian race from the Worldwar/Colonization series by Harry Turtledove. They invade Earth during World War II and in a mere century Humanity has surpassed them in technology by showing up at their planet with a FTL ship while they are stuck with ships that can't go faster than light and are still limited to EM communications. The Voth might not be that slow, but alien races have different speeds of progression.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I found her acting to be far preferable to William Shatner and Scott Bacula's acting.

I have a hypothesis that the vast majority of Janeway haters just want to see themselves being the captain of their favorite show and they get unnerved about trying to think about themselves as a female captain. The Voyager series had far worse problems than Mulgrew, who I think put on a brilliant performance despite all the other problems in the show, like Harry Kim the Forever Ensign, or the overuse of shakey cam.

If you think Mulgrew was bad, check out the original actress who was chosen to play Janeway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0 Now HER acting was attrocious. I can't begin to think how badly she would butcher the line Janeway had later in the series: "there's coffee in that nebula"

Holy TRIBBLE, I never knew there was another Janeway before Mulgrew. EEESH that was so bad I couldnt even finish it. She made my Johnson shrivel just looking at her. At least Mulgrew was just meh, with the occasional good scene that you liked her. But that woman was AWFUL. They'd have NEVER made it to Seven of Nine with her as the captain.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On the subject of being nomadic as a drawback, look at the Protoss from the Starcraft universe. They're highly advanced psionic beings who are trying to find a world to call home again after the Overmind and its zerg overran their previous homeworld of Aiur. They have spectacular technology: Psionic powers, the ability to warp buildings and troops inside a power field, cloaking... Great fleets. Their starships are where they really shine.

Being nomadic isn't a drawback. Sometimes it gives the people time to adapt and advance their technology ;)
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On topic:

I don't think it's the Vidians. I thought about the Kazon, but I doubt they would be any threat, so don't think so either.

Off topic:

Kate Mulgrew, bad? You have got to be kidding. The charater itself was kind of "unstable", but her acting is very good.

Janeway's major problem was the writers. There wasn't any consistency in the scripts for her. The character was written all over the place. Uber-Kirk like Captain in one episode (Omega Particle episode). In an another a driven pyscho cop in "Equinox"
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is always a possibility that they could use some minor and forgettable race or a race that was merely mentioned and not encountered in Voyager, but my bet is on a faction of the Voth.

Kestral is now scrambling to make the Voth motive for return match yours. Bravo good sir.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    after doing a quick google search for voyager aliens, there are quite a number that were hostile.
    hard to say which one(s) it might be without a hint

maybe it will be an alliance of aliens from the delta quadrant that come after the feds
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The photonics are going to rebel.

They said the enemy was from Voyager; they never said anything about it being from the DQ. Photonics, as such, were introduced in Voyager; they have motive to be against the Feddies, at the very least, and they have the ability to be a major threat - you can't shoot them because they're holograms, you have to take out their computer, which is on a ship...:cool:
    edited July 2013
    On the subject of being nomadic as a drawback, look at the Protoss from the Starcraft universe. They're highly advanced psionic beings who are trying to find a world to call home again after the Overmind and its zerg overran their previous homeworld of Aiur. They have spectacular technology: Psionic powers, the ability to warp buildings and troops inside a power field, cloaking... Great fleets. Their starships are where they really shine.

Being nomadic isn't a drawback. Sometimes it gives the people time to adapt and advance their technology ;)

Being nomadic isn't a drawback, but blindly following a specific belief is. Especially, when progress is prevented because it violates that belief.
    edited July 2013
    when progress is prevented because it violates that belief.

ya we humans should no this bit from history <i name the a witch !!!!>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited July 2013

The Voth are millions of years of as a species. But they aren't millions of years ahead of the Federation in terms of technology. That really aren't that much ahead. That's implies that they are extemely slow in terms of technology development or are stagnant in term of their scientific advancement. In other Voth scientists are met with the same devotion to Doctrine by their superior, it's no wonder why they aren't so much more advanced.
    edited July 2013
    The photonics are going to rebel.

They said the enemy was from Voyager; they never said anything about it being from the DQ. Photonics, as such, were introduced in Voyager; they have motive to be against the Feddies, at the very least, and they have the ability to be a major threat - you can't shoot them because they're holograms, you have to take out their computer, which is on a ship...:cool:

But the first photonic enemy was introduced in TNG with Moriarty.
    edited July 2013
    But the first photonic enemy was introduced in TNG with Moriarty.

I don't think Moriarty was really an enemy. He just really wanted to be free of the Holodeck. His behaviors were heavily influenced by his character's programming. I'd say he's more like a child with a bad upbringing. Once he was "free" of the Holodeck, he became quite magnanimous. He didn't blow up the Enterprise or kill anyone.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2013
    mrj58 wrote: »
    I know right? How dare he say anything negative about the perfection that is Cryptic. The single greatest video game developer in the history of everything. The greatest thing to ever happen to Star Trek. The makers of not only the best Star Trek game, but the Best. Game. Ever.

Who the **** is he to bad mouth Cryptic!? Cryptic is the greatest threat to the Star Trek universe? Poppycock I say!

Someone find out where he lives. Lets go there with our pitch forks and torches. Have ourselves a good ol' fashioned lynching. That'll learn him for saying anything bad about the awesomeness that is Cryptic.

Still waiting to be able to downvote a puddle of your tears.