test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mailbox Limits? Why Now? :(

tribblequeentribblequeen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I have very mixed feelings on this recent patch update. I will say that I have well over the limit that it is being reduced to. What is going to happen to everything that I have in my mailbox?

I don't have the heart to remove any of my mail. I have in my mailbox almost 2,000 Tribbles that I have been given over the past 3 years in many messages. Also they hold a lot of good and special memories for me.

Of course I haven't been able to claim them because I don't have the space for that many Tribbles in all of my characters.

So I'm at a loss at what to do with all these mails I have, so I can say I am confused what's going to happen at this point with what I do have - will my box simply be locked down? Or will my mailbox get cleared and I loose everything?

:(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
STO Member Since November 2010 | Tribbles are Friends NOT Food!
Post edited by tribblequeen on

Comments

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its bad, but a lot of games are like this. As they take up server space to store it. For me I'm not usually a pack rat. If I don't use it, or tend to in the near future. Its either sold, or trashed if you can't sell it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • tribblequeentribblequeen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    Its bad, but a lot of games are like this. As they take up server space to store it. For me I'm not usually a pack rat. If I don't use it, or tend to in the near future. Its either sold, or trashed if you can't sell it.

I guess that's true, but I don't know still, I mean I have always encouraged people to actually send me tribbles they don't want so I can "take care of them" - It''s been my thing since day 1, and I feel like its being taken away in a sense.

So in essence, my mailbox is going to be locked down because I don't have the heart to remove any of these mails.

Also because of that, me telling people to send me unwanted tribbles, there was even a "Tribble Drive" from a group of friends of mine to send me 1,000 Tribbles. I was sent literally 1,000 Tribbles during one of my shows on SSR and since then that collection has grown.

Can see how I'm at a loss here, I don't have the heart to remove them.

So lost >.<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok, they are just Pixels and don't act as Tamagochis, so I don't really get the attachments you have for the Tribbles

Except duplicating a lot in combination with food items.

You are bound to have countless copies of the same tribble.

I don't think thee is really a point to have more than one of each version. That should satisfy your need as a collector.

And then maybe some space to duplicate or breed a specific kind if you want to give some to your boffs or other players.

That shouldn't take more space than the Bank has to offer. You could do it on a dedicated Tribble breeder toon.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
    edited July 2013
    I know they are pixels but doesn't mean they can't have memories attached :P I already have one of each Tribble in my bank so that's not an issue.

And yea I have MANY copies of the same tribbles, lol, I am still proud of my little collection sitting in my bank.

I'm actually sitting here and trying to take screenshots to save on my computer XD

Granted I am still a tad disappointed for what I have to do, but I can at least save it myself in the form of screenshots :)

This wouldn't be so bad if Tribbles were actually stackable, lol, now that would be an idea IMO :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have very mixed feelings on this recent patch update. I will say that I have well over the limit that it is being reduced to. What is going to happen to everything that I have in my mailbox?

I don't have the heart to remove any of my mail. I have in my mailbox almost 2,000 Tribbles that I have been given over the past 3 years in many messages. Also they hold a lot of good and special memories for me.

Of course I haven't been able to claim them because I don't have the space for that many Tribbles in all of my characters.

So I'm at a loss at what to do with all these mails I have, so I can say I am confused what's going to happen at this point with what I do have - will my box simply be locked down? Or will my mailbox get cleared and I loose everything?

:(

Its a video game, it is not real. You will get over it..
    edited July 2013
    It is not often that the Klingon Defense Force ally with the Federation, but as I am a Ferasan I do a have slightly more developed sense of empathy and my telepathic powers are already telling me you are in distress. Therefore I offer you a solution, send all your tribblse to First City where I and my band of Tribble Hunters....ahem, carers, will be happy to take care of the little F....beauties for you ;)

I sense something fishy about this, I don't think I will hand them over that easily, especially to a Klingon!
    corvalle wrote: »
    Its a video game, it is not real. You will get over it..

lol :cool: It may be a video game, but the time spent with friends playing this game is indeed real and time well spent. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We all have things that we value, in this game or otherwise. I imagine that many people would be upset if they had their STF or fleet gear, that they ground for until their fingers and/or eyeballs bled, taken away - even though those too are "just pixels."

I think the OP is going about it the right way, taking screenshots of the gifts they've received over the years. And I find it darkly ironic, yet entirely consistent, that PWE is (further) tightening mail limits and trying to reduce the amount of server resources they need to store our mail, while at the same time planning to (sooner or later) make mandatory their ARC launcher, which includes the infamous "Pando Media Booster" - a program that uses your computer and your bandwidth to distribute installs and patches through a torrent network, so that they don't have to pay for servers that would do that.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The game has been plagued by database lag and other issues since before LoR, coupled with statements from developers during potcasts that they have a lot of items per character due to the duality of ships/characters, it's pretty obvious why these limitations are being put in place.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was done to ease server lag, and to kill of the last few reasons to ever make alts :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It was done to ease server lag, and to kill of the last few reasons to ever make alts :(

yep, seems more worthwhile to make new accounts then spend the zen to make alts..

since the mailbox is account based now..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • bobnooniansinghbobnooniansingh Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The corporate mantra:

Milk it baby, milk it.
    Milk it till they leave.

Same as it ever was.
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sorry to say, but mail is not a storage space... If it cut some slack to the database and overall server stability, I agree to this change. If you want more bank space, create a mule character...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have never understood why people are mad/annoyed/sad when they have to stop using the mailbox as a storage space. It was NOT intended that way, you do not store Items in your RL mailbox do you? You just have to learn on how to manage items again, it is not that hard.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Swell, yet another meaningful post from a dev.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have never understood why people are mad/annoyed/sad when they have to stop using the mailbox as a storage space. It was NOT intended that way, you do not store Items in your RL mailbox do you? You just have to learn on how to manage items again, it is not that hard.

Yeah, folks should be glad you got away with it for this long.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

Dev posts something fun and gets attacked for it. Standard forum reaction. And folks wonder why devs never post here.
  • martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I guess that's true, but I don't know still, I mean I have always encouraged people to actually send me tribbles they don't want so I can "take care of them" - It''s been my thing since day 1, and I feel like its being taken away in a sense.

So in essence, my mailbox is going to be locked down because I don't have the heart to remove any of these mails.

Also because of that, me telling people to send me unwanted tribbles, there was even a "Tribble Drive" from a group of friends of mine to send me 1,000 Tribbles. I was sent literally 1,000 Tribbles during one of my shows on SSR and since then that collection has grown.

Can see how I'm at a loss here, I don't have the heart to remove them.

So lost >.<

Use a couple canibal-tribbles, put them with your tribbles and you don't need to remove them.
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Don't be bashing on our favourite environmental artist. He has nothing to do with this, no input, and he's treating it the same as the rest of us non-hoarders. With humour.

Well played Taco.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited July 2013
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    Yeah, folks should be glad you got away with it for this long.

Dev posts something fun and gets attacked for it. Standard forum reaction. And folks wonder why devs never post here.

Awww, how cute. Attacking the players who used the system as was originally designed, and defending a dev that did the same.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The mail was never meant to be used this way and if people are going to fill them up with useless junk then this was bound to happen.

What exactly would you like the environment artist to do about this particular issue?
    edited July 2013
    Awww, how cute. Attacking the players who used the system as was originally designed, and defending a dev that did the same.

How is a MAILbox designed to be a storage unit, if it was meant to be storage it would be called storage.
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Ok, they are just Pixels and don't act as Tamagochis, so I don't really get the attachments you have for the Tribbles

Except duplicating a lot in combination with food items.

You are bound to have countless copies of the same tribble.

I don't think thee is really a point to have more than one of each version. That should satisfy your need as a collector.

And then maybe some space to duplicate or breed a specific kind if you want to give some to your boffs or other players.

That shouldn't take more space than the Bank has to offer. You could do it on a dedicated Tribble breeder toon.

Well it's time to ask your fellow captains for shelter. I can offer shelter for 500-600 of them.
    You can always come and visit them, they won't be discarded, or mistreated in any way.

Cheers.

*Don't let the KDF avatar fool you. I mean what I wrote*
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why have 10 players on the server filled to the brim with stuff, when you can cap that space and have 40.

The dev comment wasn't really needed, and he should know by now to not fan the flames ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How is a MAILbox designed to be a storage unit, if it was meant to be storage it would be called storage.

This.

You guys took deliberate advantage of a loophole in the storage limits, and now you're acting shocked and outraged when the devs are finally fixing it. I'm willing to bet that mail data currently accounts for at least 1/3 of the total database size, which is reason enough to implement these limits. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Yeah, it really helped me look at what I'd been holding onto that I did or didn't need...

...And made me finally get another 100 doff slots. Having two open slots worth of wiggle room isn't good when you're trying to help your fleet build up their holdings.
    edited July 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    This.

You guys took deliberate advantage of a loophole in the storage limits, and now you're acting shocked and outraged when the devs are finally fixing it. I'm willing to bet that mail data currently accounts for at least 1/3 of the total database size, which is reason enough to implement these limits. :rolleyes:

It wasn't a loophole, THEY built in 2500 attachment slots per account. After 3.5 YEARS they realized they weren't making any money out if it so they changed it WITHOUT WARNING, EXPLAINATION or NOTIFICATION that it was being done, and only NOW after it has been done do they offer the courtesy of the putting the changes into the patch notes.

4 WEEKS AFTER the changes were done.

So, if you want to claim it was a loophole, I'll counter by calling it poor initial system design, poor server management for not seeing a problem with so many stored attachments for over 3 years, and over poor project management by not having a working system in place to replace the old system, in addition to not being willing to share the details of the changes before implementing them.

...Or I could've just said your argument that Spoons made Rosie fat is BS.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited July 2013
    It wasn't a loophole, THEY built in 2500 attachment slots per account. After 3.5 YEARS they realized they weren't making any money out if it so they changed it WITHOUT WARNING, EXPLAINATION or NOTIFICATION that it was being done, and only NOW after it has been done do they offer the courtesy of the putting the changes into the patch notes.

4 WEEKS AFTER the changes were done.

So, if you want to claim it was a loophole, I'll counter by calling it poor initial system design, poor server management for not seeing a problem with so many stored attachments for over 3 years, and over poor project management by not having a working system in place to replace the old system, in addition to not being willing to share the details of the changes before implementing them.

...Or I could've just said your argument that Spoons made Rosie fat is BS.

If you were using the mail system like you were supposed to, no problems would have happened and you would have never noticed the changes. WHY do you need that much space in the first place, there already is more then enough actual storage for all the stuff you need and a lot of extra space for stuff you want for the lols and for drops.
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    (poor system management... sounds like a loophole to me... but that wasn't why I was posting)

Hey OP, I have an idea...

Why not adopt out all of those tribbles? Just hang out near a mailbox, and every time you see someone new, smile at them and mail em a tribble!

A few days, and you'll have all of those tribbles sent out to new happy homes! All ready to feast on a new stash of food in someone's inventory!

-- Smoov
  • birkepbirkep Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the foundry idea, too bad you can't force all drops to be tribbles.

Maybe we could get a new special event project - Save the Tribbles. The contribution would be tribbles. The reward would be a choice of special tribbles or a bank slot.

Nerfing the mail is taking away what has been standard practice for years. A couple of bank slots would be a nice compensation.

I went ahead and cleared all my junk out at the first sign of trouble. Most of it was recycled or exchanged anyway.

Funny pic taco. Hoarders everywhere would laugh.
    edited July 2013
    If you were using the mail system like you were supposed to, no problems would have happened and you would have never noticed the changes. WHY do you need that much space in the first place, there already is more then enough actual storage for all the stuff you need and a lot of extra space for stuff you want for the lols and for drops.

Wadda ya mean 'like I was supposed to' ?

I sent my other toons some stuff, I just didn't get a chance to claim them because I haven't had time to create those other toons.
    :cool:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif