What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (July 18, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's per character for the exchange. For example, you have Character-A, -B and -C. Characters -A,-B and -C can each post up to 40 items on the exchange. If Character-A gets 3 expired item emails and they are still in the mail box, Character-A can only post up to 37 items on the Exchange until the returned item is taken out of their mailbox. Character-B and -C can both still post up 40 items because they have no returned items in their mailbox at this time.

The other limits mentioned in the patch notes are account-wide.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

It never ceases to amaze me how every update adds some new restriction or grind factor. Would you mind passing on that players are getting very irritated and want some fun content that doesn't involve grind, but first and foremost, a large number of bugs fixed. If you don't believe I speak for alot of players, browse the forums and see the high number of complaint posts/threads. The overall feelings toward game developments is becoming highly negative and we need to be shown you appreciate or at least acknowledge your customers (the unhappy ones as well). New lock-box ships just aren't going to cut it for very long. Nor are "free" things that require constant daily monotany. I know newer players smile upon everything you do but who buys those keys that Captain New Player uses his zen to get keys with for ec? This reminds me of the crusade on Foundry restrictions recently that ended horribly. Are we now gonna repeat that with the mail system?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I asked our Engineers and they mentioned that these limits only have an impact on future emails or auction postings. So if your character had 50 expired auction emails in their mailbox tomorrow, they would not be able to post more items for auction until you clear out the returned items.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Ouch

What Evil got up in y'all? Very droll

-V
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The recipient has 20 emails in their mailbox with an item attached.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11444181&postcount=1

Thank You for our first official notification of the decreased mail limit that came with Legacy of Romulus.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nothing to fix the balance in the game still? I'm getting tired of Cryptic's idea of a challenge being one shotted all the time and I'm really getting tired of fact that Hive Onslaught Elite is still broken.

My fleet tried to do it tonight and after 30 minutes of dying to those phaser lances that get shot off, even when cloaked, we called it quits.

It seems that the only challenge/grind in this game is the Reputation System and anything that could possibly be updated to provide a challenge is either really easy or completely broken that you cant complete it.

Please fix this. I want a Star Trek game that provides a decent learning curve and challenge as an option for us players that enjoy those aspects which can be seen in most MMOs.

Thanks!
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since you guys are making a obvious push to clear up server data (mail nerf, exchange nerf, etc), why not make things STACK IN LARGER NUMBERS?

I need x amount of trash hypos, shield charges, power cells, and basically every single commodity to run the reputation system. *snip*

Just pointing this out: July 16 Tribble Server patch notes http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=793861
    Players may now purchase up to 100 Small or Large Auxiliary Batteries, Shield Batteries, Weapons Batteries, Engine Batteries, Power Cells, Shield Charges, Major or Minor Components, Major or Minor Regenerators in a single transaction.

Though it would have been nice if they added this or at least some bug fixes instead of nothing but more mail nerfs.

Although I'm the type that prefers to keep my mail empty at all times, the way they are going about it is ridiculous. First there was a sudden new 100 mail message limit. No announcement to give people time to retrieve their items, or any announcement, or even anything in any patch notes, and very few comments, if any in various threads discussing it. If they gave players notice a good week or 2 in advance before that new limit, they would have had less items to sort out and return and it wouldn't have taken them more than a month to do it.

At least this time they are giving people notice of the new changes, though less than 24 hours notice.

I can understand the mail system wasn't ever intended to store large amounts of items as if it were an unlimited bank. But why the sudden changes after the game has been out for over 3 years? It seems somebody at Cryptic suddenly got a stick where the sun don't shine and are going hardcore with the in game mail nerfs.

And for those complaining about not enough doff storage, (some even saying they would buy doff slots) I've got news for you: there ARE doff roster slots in the C-store already. Have been there for a long long time. You can purchase them as small amount as 25 and large amount of 100. I think you can purchase up to a total of 300 or 400 doff slots per character from the C-store, giving your character a maximum of 400 or 500 slots. If 400 or more duty officer roster slots, per character, isn't enough for you, then no amount of slots will be.

Edit: I don't have a problem with these changes since it doesn't affect me, I'm just trying to have consideration for how other players it would affect feel about the changes, which obviously Cryptic seems to not do. If Cryptic would just give more advanced notice, or at least ANNOUNCE sudden changes like these, they would have less problems to deal with.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just pointing this out: July 16 Tribble Server patch notes http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=793861

Though it would have been nice if they added this or at least some bug fixes instead of nothing but more mail nerfs.

Although I'm the type that prefers to keep my mail empty at all times, the way they are going about it is ridiculous. First there was a sudden new 100 mail message limit. No announcement to give people time to retrieve their items, or any announcement, or event anything in any patch notes, and very few comments, if any in various threads discussing it. If they gave players notice a good week or 2 in advance before that new limit, they would have had less items to sort out and return and it wouldn't have taken them more than a month to do it.

At least this time they are giving people notice of the new changes, though less than 24 hours notice.

I can understand the mail system wasn't ever intended to store large amounts of items as if it were an unlimited bank. But why the sudden changes after the game has been out for over 3 years? It seems somebody at Cryptic suddenly got a stick where the sun don't shine and are going hardcore with the in game mail nerfs.

And for those complaining about not enough doff storage, (some even saying they would buy doff slots) I've got news for you: there ARE doff roster slots in the C-store already. Have been there for a long long time. You can purchase them as small amount as 25 and large amount of 100. I think you can purchase up to a total of 300 or 400 doff slots from the C-store, giving your character a maximum of 400 or 500 slots (the slots are a per character purchase). If 400 or more duty officer roster slots, potentially per character isn't enough for you, then no amount of slots will be.

I know about the buying in stacks of 100. They don't stack in stacks of 100 though. See large hypos that are currently in game.

400 DOff slots doesn't go as far as you think it would. If you are heavily into DOffing you would know this. With all the different specializations, species, traits, and active duty abilities, you run out quick. Starbase projects require a silly amount of white DOffs. So if your roster is full with purple DOffs that you use on DOff missions, and you have a fleet project that needs filled what do you do? Surely you don't dismiss your purples. You either store them in the mail, or you store them on the exchange for a ridiculous amount of ec that if someone actually bought it for, you wouldn't miss it.

Having more DOff slots on other characters on the account doesn't help a bit either. There's no way outside of mailing them to yourself to get them from one character to another. No way to transfer them in the account back.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    xcelitexcelite Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This change means that the exchange system is now functionally broken for me (and probably a lot of other players). I've been attempting to clear out my mail box for weeks now by selling off the excess stored TRIBBLE. Now I'm left with no alternative except to simply dump things. Millions of EC down the crapper.

Doing this ill-advised change to yet another major system, with almost no notice, is revealing as to how much the decision makers understand how the game is actually played.

They broke the mail system, with no warning, or indeed even admitting they'd done it for weeks.

Now they've functionally broken the exchange system for a huge fraction of players, with no warning.

What game system are they going to wreak havoc on next?

Can I propose they fix a bug instead? Maybe the hard area in Defera:City? Make the MACO space set combo beam useful again?

I realize that given they haven't addressed player complaints about the mail system in any meaningful way, that any real response to this is a complete pipe dream.

Every time I start enjoying playing STO, they figure out some way to wreck it. Like Lucy and the football of fail.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, it will be interesting to see what items come out of the woodwork and vaults of peoples toons and alts do to these new limitations.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ficr wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11444181&postcount=1

Thank You for our first official notification of the decreased mail limit that came with Legacy of Romulus.

That isn't notice of the 100 mail limit. It's notice of the new auction slot limit if you have items returned from the exchange still in your mail. I.e, if your character has 3 items returned to you because they expired, you will only be able to post up to 37 items in the exchange until you retrieve your returned items from the mail, etc.

Edit:
    The recipient has 200 emails in their mailbox.
    That seems to indicate that the mail limit is 200 message but doesn't confirm it. Last I heard the limit was reduced to 100. Either way, I still haven't seen anything on the forums announcing what the new mail limit actually is. All I've seen is discussions about things they said on Twitter, which I don't use.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    horrible horrible changes to the mail system... all of them!

and on top of that my frakking Mail Icon in the UI keeps blinking green, telling me i got new mail... but THERE IS NO NEW MAIL!

this thing blinks since those mails were lost.

i've send a GM ticket and no response of course (what else is new).

if you want us to retrieve our returned items from the exchange before posting new items on the exchange, how about instead of making us run to the mail console, you just leave the item on the exchange slot, just in an unposted state, so we can either, with one click re-post it, change the price and re-post or retrieve the unsold item
    without any MAIL to delete.

also i do not want these messages from the exchange telling me what sold for how much, at least give me an optional checkbox to opt out of the mail spam.

Anyway this is one of those changes that just make my head hurt, the complete change was unannounced and ninjad in, people LOST MAIL without even the slightest warning of tampering with the system, which is a huge NO NO,
    mail icons keep blinking for no reason,
    this is just unprofessional from start to finish.
    And for what?
    To limit storage space + sell more slots?

If you want me to buy more SLOTS... i CAN'T, i have ALL of them, for all 11 Characters.
    And i bought that before any mail system nerfs were made.

This aggressive and unprofessional attempt at monetization only makes you look bad.

and i still use the Mail to store BOffs (because you can not store them anywhere else) and on occasion for DOffs (because you can not store them anywhere else and can't transfer them via account bank to other characters!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Call me crazy, but something just occurred to me.

Might we see a C store mail cap increaser soon?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Call me crazy, but something just occurred to me.

Might we see a C store mail cap increaser soon?

TBH I doubt it, they don't seem like they can think that far ahead to me.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I know about the buying in stacks of 100. They don't stack in stacks of 100 though. See large hypos that are currently in game.

400 DOff slots doesn't go as far as you think it would. If you are heavily into DOffing you would know this. With all the different specializations, species, traits, and active duty abilities, you run out quick. Starbase projects require a silly amount of white DOffs. So if your roster is full with purple DOffs that you use on DOff missions, and you have a fleet project that needs filled what do you do? Surely you don't dismiss your purples. You either store them in the mail, or you store them on the exchange for a ridiculous amount of ec that if someone actually bought it for, you wouldn't miss it.

Having more DOff slots on other characters on the account doesn't help a bit either. There's no way outside of mailing them to yourself to get them from one character to another. No way to transfer them in the account back.

That may be true but the mail and exchange system wasn't designed to circumvent the limitations set in place on how many doffs you can have. The best thing to do would be to suggest they create some sort of account doff bank where you can store unused doffs and transfer them to other characters without having to mail them to yourself. But even if they added such a system it would still have a limit on the amount you could store. And for "doffers" it STILL wouldn't be enough to satisfy you. The problem is you guys insist on finding ways to have unlimited storage when there is no such thing.

Personally I would consider unintended storage of doffs/boffs/items an exploit. Not much different than a foundry author finding a way to give players a chance to gain large amounts of dilithium in a short amount of time, circumventing the system limitations set in place.

If you can't handle the limitations, perhaps ya'all should just find another game that has none.

I agree with what Cryptic is doing and try to understand their reasons. I just think they're going about it the wrong way not giving players time to find a way to stay within the confines of the limitations that are intended.
  • Options
    bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And actually, you still can, just retrieve it, and put it in your bank/inv/shared bank, or make a new mail with a header "store for later sale", if you don't mind taking up 1 of your 100 attachment slots for it.

It's not even 100.. The unannounced mail Nerf, has been further nerfed. Patch notes say we have 20 attachments now.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Stacking living beings like cordwood and leaving them parked until it's convenient? What is this, EVE? :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not even 100.. The unannounced mail Nerf, has been further nerfed. Patch notes say we have 20 attachments now.
    Just took another look at it. The limit listed is 20 emails with attached items; however, you can attach up to 5 stacks of items per email, giving a limit of 100 stacks.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That may be true but the mail and exchange system wasn't designed to circumvent the limitations set in place on how many doffs you can have. The best thing to do would be to suggest they create some sort of account doff bank where you can store unused doffs and transfer them to other characters without having to mail them to yourself. But even if they added such a system it would still have a limit on the amount you could store. And for "doffers" it STILL wouldn't be enough to satisfy you. The problem is you guys insist on finding ways to have unlimited storage when there is no such thing.

Personally I would consider unintended storage of doffs/boffs/items an exploit. Not much different than a foundry author finding a way to give players a chance to gain large amounts of dilithium in a short amount of time, circumventing the system limitations set in place.

If you can't handle the limitations, perhaps ya'all should just find another game that has none.

I agree with what Cryptic is doing and try to understand their reasons. I just think they're going about it the wrong way not giving players time to find a way to stay within the confines of the limitations that are intended.

It is very simple on how to add unlimited doff storage which would be satisfactory. MAKE THERE BE NO CAP ON HOW MANY EXTRA SLOTS YOU CAN BUY. Key word there being buy. With there being a hard cap, and more doffs introduced quite frequently in the form of lockboxes, new fleet holdings, and new packs, you shouldn't have to get rid of your old ones which are just as good to be able to use the new ones.

Really an exploit? How about creative thinking or innovation? There were never rules against the mail or exchange system being used for storage. There is however an entire EULA that you have to agree to for the foundry. What is it with people and saying "THIS IS HOW IT GONNA BE IF U DONT LIKE IT U LEAVE". Are you that hostile to opposing viewpoints and free thinking? Especially since there isn't even a RULE or a TOS against using the mail as storage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if somehow something benefits players, it ISN'T working as intended.

It is quite simple what Cryptic is doing. Lately in one of the interviews Dan Stahl said our characters and accounts take up a lot of space. They are obviously trying to minimize that space. The method they are using isn't even that effective and will only serve to anger players. Were you not here when people were rioting about the last nerf to the mail? To implement effective systems of storage for the items that are currently lined up in mail attachments would be more effective than giving a blanket cover mail nerf. Unfortunately with Cryptic's track record, they want to take a Sledgehammer to a problem that requires a Jeweler's Screwdriver.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm curious if PWE ever actually thinks of the players when they makes all these changes...
  • Options
    bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Just took another look at it. The limit listed is 20 emails with attached items; however, you can attach up to 5 stacks of items per email, giving a limit of 100 stacks.

Given Cryptic's recent history with the mail... I'm not 100% trusting of the 'new' limit not counting individual attachments, or, of the attachment limit staying 5. I wouldn't be surprised if, after maintenance tomorrow it's 1 attachment per mail..with no acknowledgement of the change coming for 4 months....
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What is up with cryptics fascination of TRIBBLE up the mail system. It was one of the few things in this game that was bug free.

Never mind. I just answered my own question.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Given Cryptic's recent history with the mail... I'm not 100% trusting of the 'new' limit not counting individual attachments, or, of the attachment limit staying 5. I wouldn't be surprised if, after maintenance tomorrow it's 1 attachment per mail..with no acknowledgement of the change coming for 4 months....

This. Sadly.

Seriously... would it be that hard to not mess with the good QoL aspects of STO? I am really starting to wonder: are you aware that there is a point where QoL issues convince players to stop spending money rather than convincing them to spend more? Go back through chat logs and look for discussions of SWTOR... and why we are playing STO instead.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And the Exchange is still sending out double mails...
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    And the Exchange is still sending out double mails...

Good point... I wonder if "Emails that originate from the Exchange, a mission or other game systems are not included in these totals." applies to Emails generated by bugs...? Yay, more well executed QoL changes... executed as in "off with his head", but still...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And where do we store all the "special event" equipment and test tribbles, etc. that fill up our inventory?
  • Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, it will be interesting to see what items come out of the woodwork and vaults of peoples toons and alts do to these new limitations.

And hey while we are fixing things, Can people who have had their names changed to badnameXXXXXXXXx,

Have a free rename? and an appeals process for when someone moans about their name?
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rjewkes wrote: »
    And hey while we are fixing things, Can people who have had their names changed to badnameXXXXXXXXx,

Have a free rename? and an appeals process for when someone moans about their name?

Yeah I agree because most of em prolly had good names before that :)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    for the love of khan pls give us a delete all button and a option to not recive pointless mail telling me i sold something.

i dont need or want a mail box with over 40k of mail saying your sold something. nor do i want to spend all day emptying my mail.

^^ Sooo this!

Is it really so hard to add a 'Delete' button?! (and a 'Select All' checkbox along with it). I have literally hundreds of mails in my mailbox, from the exchange. And no, I am not going to delete them one by one.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    AARRGGHHHHHH COME ON!!!!!

The ONLY issue I've been having is the stupid tray bug on new characters since LoR came out, especially the character currently flying the scimitar 3 pack. Every time I zone my trays are a complete mess to where even I am confused as to where everything is.

I refuse to let any characters I am currently getting the Risa ship on even try them out for fear this will start happening to them.

ANY ETA on this issue at all?
  • Options
    natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Down three hours for that? Really sucks that its right in the middle of my usual morning playtime before work. Oh well, hopefully the 3 hours of downtime gives them time to actually fix some issues.

@ dessniper, love that signature...
  • Options
    tom40stom40s Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can not find any post about drops but when I am in STF's I have asked players if they are have a problem picking up some of the loot(drops) and a lot of people have said yes, so when doing the patch today can you guys look into why some loot can not be picked up? This has been going on for a while now I am surprised nothing has been said about it.
This discussion has been closed.