test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (July 18, 2013) [Complete!]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday, July 18th, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to last for 3 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The maximum number of auctions that a player can have active on the Exchange at any given time is 40.
    This limit is reduced by one for every returned auction email that is in the player's mailbox.

Is the 40 per account or per character? I used to have 40 per character -- if it's now per account, that's a serious reduction since I have 16 characters...

I'm reading player above as account, if it's per character please clairify it.

Cheers!
    The Community. :D
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On the topic of exchange slots, if you sell more exchange slots I would buy them. If you sell more doff slots I would buy them. If you sell white doff storage I would buy it. If you sold more bank/inv space I would buy it.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The limits are going from bad to worse.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Is the 40 per account or per character? I used to have 40 per character -- if it's now per account, that's a serious reduction since I have 16 characters...

I'm reading player above as account, if it's per character please clairify it.

Cheers!
    The Community. :D

It's per character for the exchange. For example, you have Character-A, -B and -C. Characters -A,-B and -C can each post up to 40 items on the exchange. If Character-A gets 3 expired item emails and they are still in the mail box, Character-A can only post up to 37 items on the Exchange until the returned item is taken out of their mailbox. Character-B and -C can both still post up 40 items because they have no returned items in their mailbox at this time.

The other limits mentioned in the patch notes are account-wide.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, as long as it just displays a message and nothing else it's fine. But if I have 130 mails with attachments and it deletes 110 of them tomorrow after the patch that's not cool at all...
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    for the love of khan pls give us a delete all button and a option to not recive pointless mail telling me i sold something.

i dont need or want a mail box with over 40k of mail saying your sold something. nor do i want to spend all day emptying my mail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm still missing items from expired sales. Mostly doffs and boffs. Am I getting these back or are they just gone and who cares what I lost? We need a better storage solution for boffs and doffs. And no, buying extra spaces is not an answer. And as for the 40 item limit. Does that mean if I have more than that in my mail I can now no longer place anything on the exchange?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, as long as it just displays a message and nothing else it's fine. But if I have 130 mails with attachments and it deletes 110 of them tomorrow after the patch that's not cool at all...

I asked our Engineers and they mentioned that these limits only have an impact on future emails or auction postings. So if your character had 50 expired auction emails in their mailbox tomorrow, they would not be able to post more items for auction until you clear out the returned items.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's gonna take me a week just to clean up emails so that I can post items on the exchange. Less than 24 hours notice to boot?

Bogus, man. Bogus.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Those changes and information is important. Nevertheless I believe there's tons of other stuff too that's pressing. E.g. Boff abilities (e.g. Nuk T5 tetryon cascade) not working. Any update on that? Or is there a whole bunch of stealth updates coming at us again?
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I asked our Engineers and they mentioned that these limits only have an impact on future emails or auction postings. So if your character had 50 expired auction emails in their mailbox tomorrow, they would not be able to post more items for auction until you clear out the returned items.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I see, however I don't have returned items from the exchange in my mailbox, there are DOFFs and BOFFs stored in it (I sent them as mails to my own account handle). Are these being treated the same as returned exchange items?
  • Options
    mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    >server stability update<
    We are all ...... DOOOOOOMED!
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    for the love of khan pls give us a delete all button and a option to not recive pointless mail telling me i sold something.

i dont need or want a mail box with over 40k of mail saying your sold something. nor do i want to spend all day emptying my mail.

+1

Pretty sad you can do all 3 space stfs faster than you can empty out a mailbox.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nccmark wrote: »
    It's gonna take me a week just to clean up emails so that I can post items on the exchange. Less than 24 hours notice to boot?

Bogus, man. Bogus.

Agreed in principle.

This kind of change needs at least a few days to a week's notice to clean out items that hinder the ability to sell.
  • Options
    richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If Character-A gets 3 expired item emails and they are still in the mail box, Character-A can only post up to 37 items on the Exchange until the returned item is taken out of their mailbox.

Is this calculated per actual returned item, or per mail with subject 'exchange sale expired', or whatever it says?
    I would like to know, as for the past few months I am receiving 2 (two) mails per expired sale; one with, and one without attached item. Call me a skeptic, but I have since given up hope that that is going to be solved.
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We need storage options for pets. We need storage options for boffs. We need storage options for doffs (thousands of them). Some people ARE willing to pay for this if the price is reasonable. Why don't you offer these services? Is your database in such a horrible state these days that you simply have to truncate and flush it to keep this game running or what? With every performance problem over the past three years you have limited our storage possibilities. Is this the beginning of the end of STO that we see? For now people will just create tons of additional F2P accounts to deal with their storage needs so you won't gain any performance and you will end up with even more pissed off customers.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    +1

Pretty sad you can do all 3 space stfs faster than you can empty out a mailbox.

+2

Place whatever restrictions you feel you must, but give us the ability to better manage our mail!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Since you guys are making a obvious push to clear up server data (mail nerf, exchange nerf, etc), why not make things STACK IN LARGER NUMBERS?

I need x amount of trash hypos, shield charges, power cells, and basically every single commodity to run the reputation system. Now I don't like having to run to a vendor or to wherever the commodities are cheapest at every 20 hours so I prefer to buy in bulk. Now for things that only stack in 20 you very quickly run into a logistical problem of where to store these items. Bank is filled with all of those nice tribbles and pets that you keep releasing with no alternative storage for them. So where can my hypos/charges/cells and the commodities go? The answer is the mail or the exchange.

If you simply made things to stack in higher quantities we could utilize the storage means already available to us more efficiently, therefore taking less data to store data.

If we are forced to use alternative means of storage, i.e. the mail and the exchange, it is taking considerably more data to store our data. Each piece of mail and it's attachments is a separate entity and will take more data (especially since only 5 stacks can be attached per mail) to store our data.

Storage issues is a logistical problem in this game since so much is needed over a long period of time due to time gating most endgame content. People literally have fleets (yes plural) for the extra banking capacity.

White DOffs are heavily needed in the Fleet grind, and most people at that level aren't using white DOffs as their main utility in the DOffing minigame, they are using higher quality DOffs. Even with the current maximium of 400 slots this is a problem. There are so many specializations, active duty abilities, races, and traits that you could litterally have a roster of 400 purples and still not have everything that you want. White DOffs need a way to be stored. Again if there isn't a way to do it properly players will improvise and find a way that benefits them the most.

Consumables and commodities are both needed in the Fleet and Reputation grind. Again the storage space even with everything upgraded to the max is quite limited due to everything else we have to keep in there. These really need to stack in higher stacks so we can use the current system of storage more efficiently without resorting to alternative means.

Pets, I believe that if a player without bank upgrades acquired every single available pet of every size, shape, and color they wouldn't have room in their bank for all of them. With the tribble breeding minigame to the epohh and bird raising just those pets are considerably numerous. That's not even getting into the harder to obtain pets.

Account Bank, I would like to see things in the account bank actually be usable across my accounts. You know kinda how it implies that it is being an ACCOUNT BANK and all. Like if I wanted to turn contraband into dilithium I would expect it to work from contraband stored in the account bank and not solely from the character bank or the character inventory. Also if I store some things in the account bank I would like to be able to remove a certain amount of them. If I wanted to evenly distribute contraband across all of my characters the account bank is not efficient unless I am distributing it in stacks of 250. The mail system is much more efficient for not perfect stack numbers. The system specifically designed for regulating interaccount transactions isn't as useful as the mail system, and the account bank actually costs zen to use (or at least a subscription).

Mail, the current sorting system needs to be expanded to sort by a few other things besides subject, sender, and date. I'd like to see the ability to mass delete mail. I'd like to see the ability to ignore messages based on any sender, or at least the subject. I really don't need to be informed every time I sell something. I'd like to see the ability to lock mail so when mass deleting the important things don't get lost as easily.

TL;DR the storage system needs to be overhauled to give players a more efficient way (or at least the option to obtain) of storing things that they are going to store regardless of how it is done.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    please don't break the mail system again! personally I could care less about the limitations but the last mail fiasco took your Dev team a good deal of time to work out and inconvenienced many players, now instead of fixing real bugs you are just adding limits to a mail system (best bet is for server space) that just started working properly not to long ago.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    summerwolfesummerwolfe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, for every returned item in our mailbox, which I would otherwise just store until prices go back up, we now lose a slot on the exchange? Would you mind explaining why?
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited July 2013

+1000

A tick box system would be ideal I think though and have a 'tick all' button. Allows you to delete all the rubbish and untick some that you might want to keep.

Also an attachment 'paper clip' icon would be nice so we can easily spot emails with something in them. Then paper clip disappears once we've cleared the items from it.

Added a message for when a recipients mailbox is full and when there are too many items in it. This will display if:

The recipient has 200 emails in their mailbox.
    This is going to be virtually everybody, every hour of every day. If you sell stuff on the exchange regularly that is.

We need the tools to manage the spam generated from selling stuff on the exchange. Otherwise we're going to get warning messages for something we unreasonably cannot control as we haven't the tools at our disposal to manage our inbox properly.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok, as far as the 40 auction per character, isn't that the way it is now? About the only change I see on that, is the "returned items" still consuming a slot, until you retrieve them.
    And if the double post counts against you, as well, then I see major problems with that implementation, as each returned item actually ends up counting as two items, until retrieved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, for every returned item in our mailbox, which I would otherwise just store until prices go back up, we now lose a slot on the exchange? Would you mind explaining why?

And actually, you still can, just retrieve it, and put it in your bank/inv/shared bank, or make a new mail with a header "store for later sale", if you don't mind taking up 1 of your 100 attachment slots for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Will this reduce our max auction limit on the exchange per account?

Or is it still going to be 40 auctions/character like it is now?
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are they trying to wreck the servers or crash the economy? Or both? Because that's what's going to happen.

People will form new accounts with characters just to handle long-term storage - and I'm pretty sure that an entire account full of level 0 characters takes up a lot more server space than a few emails with some items attached.

Meanwhile, nobody's going to be selling anything until they can get their mailboxes cleaned out, and even then a lot of players are going to avoid the exchange just so they don't have to worry about hitting limits.

By the way, how is that "Mail Limit Reached" note going to be sent to the players? By Mail?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    By the way, how is that "Mail Limit Reached" note going to be sent to the players? By Mail?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they implement this as an annoying popup that will hit you at the most critical time during wave 10 in No Win Scenario...
  • Options
    megtrekkiemegtrekkie Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    here is an idea how about you throw never winter out of the window and bring back the server for STO you keep say we have lack of server space etc you no why cos you gave half of it to them and the mail thing is just stupid i see alot of people are going cos of your petty waste of time TRIBBLE fix it or your gonna have problems
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In addition to what tonyalmeida2 wrote....

If PWE had time for this, does this mean that the Exchange is FINALLY fixed???? (Or all the other big bugs?)

Will the number of bank slots be expanded? (I've never heard of a bank that won't accept more deposits.)
  • Options
    otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We need storage options for pets. We need storage options for boffs. We need storage options for doffs (thousands of them). Some people ARE willing to pay for this if the price is reasonable. Why don't you offer these services? Is your database in such a horrible state these days that you simply have to truncate and flush it to keep this game running or what? With every performance problem over the past three years you have limited our storage possibilities. Is this the beginning of the end of STO that we see? For now people will just create tons of additional F2P accounts to deal with their storage needs so you won't gain any performance and you will end up with even more pissed off customers.

Posted this the other day
    otakuboyt wrote: »
    Hello,

I am have been playing since beta and have accumulated a large number of these items that are taking up space. I know this a has been brought up before, but it needs to be revisited.

The needs to be a change way vanity items are stored. They need to become a captain power.

Example once a pet is obtained you can either "use" it normally (so if not bound or needed for trading, missions, or crafting) or you can "add" it and it will come like a captain power. As a power it will take up no room in storage but it cannot be used for missions (horta crafting, epohh or bird raising)

To keep the vanity items from cluttering up the set power window, non-combat powers and abilities will have their own tab.

Besides pets and vanity items Transwarps and T4 Diplo/Maurad skills will also be there.

Here is a list of things that should be come what I call NCP (non-combat powers)
    * Non-combat shuttles/fighter pets (Danube, Phoenix, Captain's Yacht, etc...)
    * Gekli Companion
    * Fireworks
    * Non-combat exocomps
    * Non-combat Horta (Hatchling, Dilithium) [once they become powers, you can not use them in crafting you will need to grab another]
    * Small animals (Targ, Alfa 117 Canine, Driclae Pup, Jackal Mastiff, Sehlat, etc)
    * Personal comm codes (Suliban, Azura, Vov'wI)
    * Captain only Tribbles (Radan, Fleet, Mol'Rihan, Nukara)
    * Vanity entourages
    * Raise-able pets (Tropical Birds, Epohh) [once they become powers, you can not use them in crafting or turn in]
    * Holiday items (Flight Packs, Party Poppers, Ice Boots, etc.)
    * Data Recorder

Things that should not be stored this way
    * Consumable combat pets (Reprogrammed Drones, Romulan Distress Call, Scorpion Fighters, Turrets, etc)
    * Combat Horta (Horta, Polytrinic, Eisilum)
    * Anything that goes into a hangar
    * Ship devices
    * Any other tribble
    * Anything consumable
    * Mission items

Now, I know what you are thinking, how will Cryptic/PW make money if all this space is freed up? My answer is people will but more pets and shuttles from the store using Lobi and Zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Interesting that if you suggest something it is almost a sure thing that they will never do it. So stubborn.
    pvp = small package
This discussion has been closed.