test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Fatal Error?" Honestly, what was in that patch?

Following the launcher patching the game today, I cannot get into STO anymore. It hangs on the Cryptic loading screen and then crashes to this error message:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/KojiroJames/wtf_zps1e875a22.jpg

CO on the other hand plays fine for me aside from the random server disconnects it's been experiencing.

Honestly, Cryptic, what did you break?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just make sure "Disable on Demand Patching" in your launcher options is selected - and close and restart you launcher, then log in.

(And yes, this will cause a big download to your PC and if will patch 100% of the game client, and not just a select set of stuff as their terrible 'on-demand' patching does.)

Onec your fully patched - subsequent downloads will be smaller. The upside? Most zones will load faster for you and you'll probably see less disconnects.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't think that's going to fix the problem:
    galmr wrote: »
    I have the same problem. Starts up the game, shows me the Cryptic logo screen, then crashes with a message that the "on-demand patching server took to long to respond." So I opened up the options in my launcher and disable on-demand patching, then spend over an hour while it downloads and patches in 4gb of data. Start the game up again, still refuses to start because the "on-demand patching server" can't be contacted. I've tried to send in a report 6 times now, only to have the error reporting window close itself before I can hit the send button.

He did exactly what you just suggested and he still had the problem.

And frankly downloading 4gigs isn't an easy option with my Internet speed, especially when it might be all for naught anyway. It'd take all evening.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Did some reading, and found this to be a recurring problem with this game. People apparently keep suggesting the turn-off of on-demand patching and I can't seem to find a case where it actually worked. So why do people suggest it?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-228342.html
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-352741.html
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-239515.html
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you do take the nuclear option of uninstalling, and frankly I would given your problem, then I highly recommend that you download the client trough Steam.
    I had a serious problem with my client a while back, and I was also sick of the ridiculously slow downloads and patching from Cryptic's servers. As I normally would given that, I thought, OK, find another server to download from, and in this case Steam is the option.
    Since doing this, my downloads and patching have all been fast and painless, and the client has behaved impeccably.

Now I am NOT a Steam fanboy, but in this games case, I would definitely recommend going this route.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Good news everyone!

STO is working fine today and I didn't have to do anything. I still have no clue why it wasn't working yesterday, but I'm thankful it's working today. So I'm just going to class it as a random glitch.