jjgrands420jjgrands420 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvP Gameplay
To Q for FVK
To Bring your A-game
To rise above the trolls and say GG
To never quit, surrender, afk or rage log
To go for the hard target and spare the noob
To x for BIG PVP

to tell your friends, family, enemies.. get ur TRIBBLE back here. we need YOU.

where have all teh legends gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to those wtill here I SALUTE YOU!

pew onward (not upward)
gggggggg
Post edited by jjgrands420 on

Comments

• smeagolsneakysmeagolsneaky Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes Sir /Salute
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll do FvK when i get some swanky elite disruptor toys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • terence12terence12 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i am there

in a ferengi shuttle

make'em cry home to mama
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll space pvp when.... no.. no I wont.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps I will when I get a gaming keyboard and learn to program macros and have all my abilities on a single button key-bind, then at least I can be competitive. As it stands now if you don't use the latter then you wont stand a chance even with all Elite fleet gear and weapons and XII purple consoles and a JHAS. People can spend hundreds of dollars and get the best ships and gear the game has to offer. You will still get one-shotted and not make a dent in other players shields until you learn to key-bind all your abilities and have your combos on a single button macro to fire it off, and to keep all your heals on constant hands free rotation. Before all of this became the norm PVP use to be fun, and its still fun at lower levels, but once you get to 50 your SOL.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited June 2013

To go for the hard target and spare the noob

no more newb/noob stomps?! :(:D :rolleyes:...

Perhaps I will when I get a gaming keyboard and learn to program macros and have all my abilities on a single button key-bind, then at least I can be competitive. As it stands now if you don't use the latter then you wont stand a chance even with all Elite fleet gear and weapons and XII purple consoles and a JHAS. People can spend hundreds of dollars and get the best ships and gear the game has to offer. You will still get one-shotted and not make a dent in other players shields until you learn to key-bind all your abilities and have your combos on a single button macro to fire it off, and to keep all your heals on constant hands free rotation. Before all of this became the norm PVP use to be fun, and its still fun at lower levels, but once you get to 50 your SOL.

btw: i don't use any selfmade keybinds. i pvp. i (mostly/sometimes) survive and am having fun. even while being kicked in where the sun never shines...
    i also do not too bad on my rommie. he has no space rep yet, is using jemmie shield, the crappy nanite disruptors and standard deflector and engine from exchange. on the free t4 ship from levelling ;).

...also keep in mind: it's always about the team and an owns ability to set and handle doffs/boffs/gear/teamplay/toon-skills/etc........
  • mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PVP is not as bad as some make it out to be. There is enuf gear available, that is cheap enuf, that everyone can contribute to their team's effort. You will not 'always' win but we all know that some times you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

I think the current state of PVP is great ( not perfect ). More cases than not, it takes more than one ship to defeat someone, and the pace is such that an escape is possible most often. Moreover, I discovered the key to my success in my vesta, is to load it up with shield consoles, either regen or +capacity and keep the bug ship on your team alive.

PVP really is a blast ( no pun intended ) and if Cryptic attached some end game content to it like area control then this game would be epic.
  • jjgrands420jjgrands420 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2013

i use no binds. i am doing the one shotting tho
  • wiggum11wiggum11 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just got finished getting absolutely SMOKED in pvp, dying so fast I couldn't even press RSP.

I've been pvping since shadowbane came out and I've never seen a game make it so hard on noobs(just got lvl 50)

I know my gear is junk but...again...this is off the chart unbalanced. I know I'm just sitting here ********, take it for what it is. You want pvpers but the noobs get smeared and quit. That's just how it is.
  • canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really don't see the point of PVP in progression games, especially this one.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2013

There's a guide that can help you with using that playstyle. I think it is stickied.

Aside from smashing your face against the keyboard it is about the least effective way to play. Hey more power to you though.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For "boosting membership" in the PVP ranks, I do wonder about the high entry requirements for PVP in today's STO. Simply put, if you do not have all the tricked out equipment, consoles, Fleet this and that ships & gear, Maxed Reputations, you will simply get smoked. That's even discounting the obvious vulnerability of a new PVPer as they try to get a grasp of PVP.

IMHO, STO has increasingly done a terrible job on trying to make PVP more enticing for participation. If anything, with all the stuff added to the game and increased combat power of existing characters and ships, the pool of PVP has, IMO, become smaller.

For you guys that have been here for Day 1, do you recall the sheer number of PVP participants in the early days of STO? I still recall that PVP was raging across all possible levels that you could participate in it. I still fondly remember the "Captain" level PVP. And I still recall the massive numbers of Fed & KDF players sitting in queue alone. FvK was insanely hopping. Yes, the KDF population was by far smaller and participated more in PVP as a whole. But the sheer numbers of Fed PVPers lined up for PVP was insane. There simply were not enough KDF back then to speed the PVP queues up for the Feds.

Again, IMO, STO needs to get back to those roots. Fixing population imbalance will help, because those Fed PVP queue times back then were terrible. The "entry requirements" of today's STO PVP needs to be lessened. Maybe a form of PVP with no rep?

PVP has dwindled since STO's early days, and IMO, stagnant. I love to queue. But that doesn't mean that changes are needed to get new blood into the PVP scene. It's already daunting enough for a new PVPer that he will get smoke checked repeatedly, oftenly because he's inexperienced. But if he doesn't have high end gear and maxed out this and that, then he never will have any sort of chance. Because today's STO PVP requires too much to have even the smallest chance of success, even discounting experience.

And there is the inescapable fact that Cryptic has added absolutely nothing to PVP since STO launched. No new maps. No new PVP formats / modes. Absolutely nothing that PVP can call its own.

Us queuing up more and having more sportsmanship alone will not help PVP.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For all the people I am seeing complaining about the difficulties of PVP, isn't that what PVP Boot camp was made for?
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    webdeath wrote: »
    For all the people I am seeing complaining about the difficulties of PVP, isn't that what PVP Boot camp was made for?

LOL pvp boot camp. Total fiasco.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PvP doesn't need me.
    PvP doesn't even want me.

As long as the STO demographic reflects the following and Cryptic continues to cater to it, the only thing PvP needs is a stiff drink or maybe a lobotomy...

5% wear shoes with laces.
    10% wear shoes with velcro fasteners because they can't tie shoelaces.
    10% wear slip on shoes because they can't even work velcro fasteners.
    75% don't wear shoes because even flip-flops are beyond their capability.

...at the rate that PvE is nerfed, gimmicky crutches are added, and all the rest...

...well, Club Penguin will look hardcore by comparison.
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem with PvP in STO is it has no point. You join a match, you play the round and then it is over.

We have no leaderboards to give fame or noteriety, there isn't any useful items to gain and when you zone out the game largely acts like there ISN'T even a war happening. Most of the PvE STF's you will join will have klingons and federation players working together anyway!

There quite frankly isn't anything immersive about arena PvP here. Kerrat however is probably something we need MORE variations of across this game.

Imagine having these PvE/PvP zones in several sectors...and if you completed the objectives it gained you EXP to a reputation tree which unlocked its own gear! Now imagine that by gaining x points in a week or weekend for your faction, your faction gets these minor PvE bonuses for ANY missions (PvE or PvP) you do in the zone as a factional reward.

That is fun PvP and that would be PvP with a purpose. What we have now is just amateur.
    edited June 2013
    kyias1 wrote: »
    The problem with PvP in STO is it has no point. You join a match, you play the round and then it is over.

Fun. Winning. Having a good time...even when losing. Playing with friends. Getting better. Learning more about the game. Making new friends...even making enemies.
    kyias1 wrote: »
    That is fun PvP and that would be PvP with a purpose. What we have now is just amateur.

Perhaps it's because I've gotten up there in years, but I can't stand the what's in it for me generation...
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [I think main problem for newer people is massive dil and fleet credit costs, almost impossible to get geared without dropping $100 or farming on multiple characters.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fun. Winning. Having a good time...even when losing. Playing with friends. Getting better. Learning more about the game. Making new friends...even making enemies.
    I almost look forward to watching my Bortasqu' turn turtle and blow up. Next to a cube getting cored its one of the prettiest explosions in the game.

Oh, and making enemies... my Fed specializes in that.
    Perhaps it's because I've gotten up their in years, but I can't stand the what's in it for me generation...
    Hell, I'm in that generation and I can't stand it.

PvP dailies already reward dilithium and fleet marks. What more do you want?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited June 2013
    Meh, I'm just in a bad mood. It's been growing and growing since the LoR beta. Too much contact with the derp has just...yeah, I don't have the patience for it that I once did.

Say Cryptic implemented ranking/rating/leaderboards/etc/etc/etc...say they even tied them into the Seasons, etc, etc, etc... you'd still be left with all the broken TRIBBLE, folks exploiting this or that, and something that really had no meaning. Now, some players and groups of players have tried to organize various things. Players could organize things, put forth the effort, and create leagues free from some of the STO nonsense.

Territorial stuff just wouldn't work since there's no Player vs. Player "conflict" in the game. The Fed-KDF "War" is long over. While KDF fleets might fight amongst themselves, various House Battles and the like...that's not going to happen for the Feds nor is it going to be there for K-Roms unless they've aligned themselves with a KDF House. Then again, it's Holodeck - everything is repeatable - so perhaps they could do a "historic" territorial campaign. But again, just like a league...yep...a territorial campaign league...there's nothing stopping players from setting this up and being free from some of the STO nonsense.

There are all sorts of rewarding endeavors players could partake in...if they put some effort into it.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PvP's entry barrier is really quite steep in its current formats. Even if you have or can afford all the tricked out gear, there's an entirely unrelated issue: The fact that the only format outside of Kerrat is the 5-man team format.

Which means now you need *5* people with the above. 5 people with synchronized schedules who can afford to spend 40+ hours a week drilling to function as a synchronized unit. This is not an easy thing to come by in generation ADHD, where people have the attention spans of a narcoleptic ferret.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I need a PvP queue that doesn't kick me out.

I haven't been able to pvp since Lt Comm.

Comm....kicked from queue.

Cpt.....kicked form queue.

I hope to be able to PvP at lvl 40 again.

:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    PvP's entry barrier is really quite steep in its current formats. Even if you have or can afford all the tricked out gear, there's an entirely unrelated issue: The fact that the only format outside of Kerrat is the 5-man team format.

Which means now you need *5* people with the above. 5 people with synchronized schedules who can afford to spend 40+ hours a week drilling to function as a synchronized unit. This is not an easy thing to come by in generation ADHD, where people have the attention spans of a narcoleptic ferret.

Hrmm, my hope of them doing 10-man raidesque PvP teams then...probably would be a bad thing, eh?

Could you imagine the possibilities that a 10-man would give over running 2x 5-man teams? There are builds that don't make sense for a 5-man, but they'd be pretty nifty for a 10-man.

With the discussion about what Neverwinter might bring to STO in regard to PvP...while unlikely that we'll get 20v20, it would be nifty to have 10v10 with actual 10-mans instead of 2x 5-mans.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    LOL pvp boot camp. Total fiasco.

How so? I might be a little daft in understanding how that became a Total Fiasco.. Last I checked it worked well enough..? :confused:
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    webdeath wrote: »

There is a flip side to this in a desire to keeping PVP for only the most well developed characters with seasoned players.

It keeps the club "exclusive." What I mean by that it guarantees the PVP populace will be small, and never, ever, EVER match the participation that was there when STO first went live.

If the populace stays small, why would Cryptic continue to sink more resources into a tiny portion of the player population? Or more exactly, why would Cryptic even begin to think to spend resources on PVP since they haven't done so yet, and will never do so with a continuously small populace?

Why would Cryptic want to develop more modes of PVP play, leaderboards, zone control, etc. for a populace that is *guaranteed* to stay small? A populace that has greatly lost in size since the game came out, and has never recovered?

Maybe you guys like the smaller PVP population. But personally, I do miss the days when so many more people participated. Now, don't get me wrong, I do love seeing some of the same guys that I've repeatedly teamed up with even in the PUGs. But PVP needs alot of new blood. And with that new blood and larger participation, then maybe Cryptic can give PVP more attention.

Because PVP has received absolutely no attention since 2009 when STO went live, and with our small populace, it never will.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is a flip side to this in a desire to keeping PVP for only the most well developed characters with seasoned players.

It keeps the club "exclusive." What I mean by that it guarantees the PVP populace will be small, and never, ever, EVER match the participation that was there when STO first went live.

If the populace stays small, why would Cryptic continue to sink more resources into a tiny portion of the player population? Or more exactly, why would Cryptic even begin to think to spend resources on PVP since they haven't done so yet, and will never do so with a continuously small populace?

Why would Cryptic want to develop more modes of PVP play, leaderboards, zone control, etc. for a populace that is *guaranteed* to stay small? A populace that has greatly lost in size since the game came out, and has never recovered?

Maybe you guys like the smaller PVP population. But personally, I do miss the days when so many more people participated. Now, don't get me wrong, I do love seeing some of the same guys that I've repeatedly teamed up with even in the PUGs. But PVP needs alot of new blood. And with that new blood and larger participation, then maybe Cryptic can give PVP more attention.

Because PVP has received absolutely no attention since 2009 when STO went live, and with our small populace, it never will.

Yeah, I don't think ANY of what you just said has escaped anyone's notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Perhaps it's because I've gotten up there in years, but I can't stand the what's in it for me generation...

Obviously everyone plays the game and does things to have a good time, have fun and win. The people who fill that category are already doing that. This thread said "PvP needs you." The things I listed are items that would bring more players into the mix. I enjoy a good immersive factional war. We don't really have one right now. My suggestions are things that are simply in line with that.

Lastly, I have played MMO's for over 10 years. I enjoy them specifically because of the strategy, builds and teamwork. I have been PvP'ing in MMO's for the same amount of time. STO doesn't have the same open world PvP that those older games do. It doesn't have factioinal rivalries like the past models. The ideas I put forward are specifically to get more people from EVERY playstyle to give it a shot and have a good experience. For the record, I PvP in Kerrat regularly.

As for your personal jab at me: I don't know how old you are. I can tell you I'm 28 this year. I went to college, got my degree and made good money. I then turned everything on its head and joined the Army for my own personal reasons. Bottom line is, I go out there and do a job so others do not have to. I know a thing or two about selfless service and doing something that "isn't in it for me."

I also know several young men and women of this new generation you talk down to who do the same thing.

Perhaps talking down to people is something you should just refrain from doing in an online environment.
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PvP Needs You To...

repair your ship damages before entering the queue.
  • devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited June 2013
    PvP needs me!! I like it!!

Make it like you too!
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • andoriansrusandoriansrus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't use macros I only have my spacebar shields keybind.... and Im always game to rumble in some FvK PVP of course I fight on the K side of that equasion.... so if you see me in PvP and you are on the other team... its already to late.....

that being said I usually only get to kill one guy like that before the other team starts focusing on any Ha'feh in our group.....
    Major Xi'Zzin
    I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
    Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
    I have never trusted humans, and I never will