test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Most disturbing/scary aliens in sci-fi

madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
Curious as to what people find frightening about certain sci-fi aliens.

My votes are Aliens from "The fourth kind". They seem at first to be traditional abduction type aliens but get a bit more mysterious.

Also found the Elachi in this game disturbing, mostly what they do to the romulans they capture.
Post edited by madmopar on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The horta are on the top of my list really.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say Xenomorphs... They're the one species I would not want to encounter under any circumstances... I'd rather go up against a Borg cube than a Xenomorph hive :eek:
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Elachi, when they appreared in TNG. That was just a definitively creepy episode, and the shrouded appearance and clicky sounds of those aliens just sent chills down my spine.

Speaking of TNG, I always found the Borg to be quite scary, simply because they were so utterly inhuman despite using human bodies. This, of course, was before Voyager wussified them.

For other series, Babylon 5 had two very creepy species in the Shadows and the Drakh-- I wish I could find a clip of Delenn's first meeting with a Drakh ambassador, as that twitchy, phasing-in-and-out-of-reality masked alien that spoke through a weird voice box really creeped me out. And as for the Shadows...well, everything about them, from their appearance to their ships, to their absurdly powerful technology and their stealth capabilities, was downright terrifying.

The Necrons from Warhammer 40,000 were pretty scary, up until they got retconned to have actual personalities. The Tyranids also deserve an honourable mention, as do the Weeping Angels, the Vashta Narada and the Silence from Dr. Who, and the Reapers and their repurposed servants from Mass Effect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The "Chigs" from Space: Above and Beyond. First we never even see what they look like outside of their armor suits until the last two episodes of the show, and they melt when inhaling water or someone forceably takes off their armor.

But the creepiest thing is how they treat human dead. According to one Human soldier who observed them for some time they had no concept of an afterlife or life after death until they learned it from humans; and they took it literally and assumed that humans could come back to life after being killed and that half of the human army was made up of zombies. So they butcher any humans they kill and cut out their heart so they can't come back to life.

Probably one of the most "alien" mentalities for an alien species I've ever seen on a TV show.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    azntrigboiazntrigboi Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me, hands down, Weeping Angels. :eek:
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Elachi are scary. They want to implant you with their fungal eggs.

I dont really find the borg scary though. They seem like the Terminator's dumb cousin.

As for others?
    Tyranids. They are basically the ugly love child of the borg and Ripley's original alien. Because shooting exploding tumors is just plain nasty.

Of course, if we think about it, the most scary alien is Q.
    Because he has Unlimited Power the likes of even Palpatine can only dream of.

But luckily for Picard, he is a rather friendly alien.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For other series, Babylon 5 had two very creepy species in the Shadows and the Drakh-- I wish I could find a clip of Delenn's first meeting with a Drakh ambassador, as that twitchy, phasing-in-and-out-of-reality masked alien that spoke through a weird voice box really creeped me out. And as for the Shadows...well, everything about them, from their appearance to their ships, to their absurdly powerful technology and their stealth capabilities, was downright terrifying.

The problem with the Shadows is that they were so alien, the only way they could be shown was with CGI. Unfortunately the CG of that era was so crude, JMS and his crew quickly learned *not* to show the Shadows.

That, and the revelation that they and the Vorlons were just spoiled children fighting over whose idea was better, took a lot of the mystery and freakiness out of the Shadows.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Flood, as presented in the first two Halo games. An enemy that doesn't just use your people as breeding factories - they also take control of your dead, turning the corpses into their own zombie army. And they combine the two, turning some of your dead into undead walking nurseries for their own breeding stage - which explode violently if you shoot them, or if they just get too close... And any shadow (and I do mean any shadow) could be concealing one or more of the little bas- monsters, just waiting to jump out right in your face.

(In the third one, they actually seemed to be a little weaker, probably because the intent in there was to emphasize fighting the Gravemind, and the Elite-less Covenant.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fluffydoormanfluffydoorman Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is hands down the easiest question to answer in the world. The scariest alien of all time is.....

Wait for it....

The Doctor.

As if he wasn't scary enough to the Daleks and the Cybermen and the Who's it's and what's its of the universe, he up and decides he "likes" humanity. Which makes all of our lives complicated and turns the Earth into one massive target. How can anyone not be absolutely terrified when he shows up. And look at how he brainwashes all those poor women into following him. And then he "accidentally" destroys their lives one way or another. He's absolutely the scariest alien of all time. Well either him or Furby. Furby is an alien right?
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disturbing...that probably goes to the Gelf from "Red Dawrf".
    Here we can see a Gelf female while she intends to marry Lister:

http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/gelf_wife_ech_ech_ech.jpg
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My vote is for....The Mi-go

That guy is still alive, his brain is still conscious, that insectoid... thing is more closely reated to a fungus, flying intelligent space fungus... and your neighbor might be one of them, wearing the surgically removd hands and face of your former neighbor
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Necrons from Warhammer 40,000 were pretty scary, up until they got retconned to have actual personalities. The Tyranids also deserve an honourable mention, as do the Weeping Angels, the Vashta Narada and the Silence from Dr. Who, and the Reapers and their repurposed servants from Mass Effect.

The best parts of 40k are the least explained. The aliens in the grendel and ghoul stars are probably a bit scarier because of their unexplained nature. They formed a chapter, the death specters, just to monitor that one area. Then there is the story in the space wolf codex of some wolf lord and his crew that venture out to that area.
  • Options
    milen93milen93 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Martians in "Mars attacks" just a bit sadistic.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Easily this one: Click at own risk
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is hands down the easiest question to answer in the world. The scariest alien of all time is.....

Wait for it....

The Doctor.

As if he wasn't scary enough to the Daleks and the Cybermen and the Who's it's and what's its of the universe, he up and decides he "likes" humanity. Which makes all of our lives complicated and turns the Earth into one massive target. How can anyone not be absolutely terrified when he shows up. And look at how he brainwashes all those poor women into following him. And then he "accidentally" destroys their lives one way or another. He's absolutely the scariest alien of all time. Well either him or Furby. Furby is an alien right?

What he did, he did without choice. In the name of peace, and sanity
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott's Alien, and of HR Geiger's messed up imagination in general.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What he did, he did without choice. In the name of peace, and sanity

But not in the name of the Doctor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    H.R. Gigers Aliens was scary at that time.

Signs is also a candidate I think, with this and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djP1DGxQiHM.

Cowboys & Aliens have a few disturbing scenes too actually, though the movie is not scary overall.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to go with the tribbles and epohhs...
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    The horta are on the top of my list really.

The Horta terrified me as a kid. Now they're possibly my favorite Star Trek race.

I think, perhaps, John Carpenter's The Thing would rank pretty close to the top for most disturbing/scary aliens.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    H.R. Gigers Aliens was scary at that time.

Signs is also a candidate I think, with this and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djP1DGxQiHM.

Okay, I'm sorry, I just can't be afraid of anything that curls up and dies when I spit on it.

As for creepy, no love for the Vorlons? I know they're technically good-ish guys, but those weird looking helmets, echo-y voices, constant secrecy, and penchant for manipulating other races for their own purposes makes them very spooky.

The "aliens" from Vandread are scary as TRIBBLE, particularly considering how they [spoilers]breed and butcher humans for their body parts[/spoiler]

And how come no one remembers the Visitors from V? (that poor guinea pig. :()
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh, we remember the Visitors - but they were more stupid than scary...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, I'm sorry, I just can't be afraid of anything that curls up and dies when I spit on it.

As for creepy, no love for the Vorlons? I know they're technically good-ish guys, but those weird looking helmets, echo-y voices, constant secrecy, and penchant for manipulating other races for their own purposes makes them very spooky.

The "aliens" from Vandread are scary as TRIBBLE, particularly considering how they [spoilers]breed and butcher humans for their body parts[/spoiler]

And how come no one remembers the Visitors from V? (that poor guinea pig. :()

The Vorlons weren?t really good, more orderly I guess. And I never found them creepy, just cool ! :D
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heres my list

1) Xenomorph- if they take you alive, you are guaranteed a slow and very painful death
    2) Elachi- damn scary in Enterprise and TNG, STO raises the fear factor to a whole new level
    3) TNG Borg- they were scary, especially the death is irrelevant quote
    4) The Thing- You wouldn't even know if it was there or not
    5) The Flood- Very hard to stop, and the horde just gets bigger
    6) The Predator- You wouldn't know where it was, very intelligent and it packs enough weapons to make Sunday roast out of the best trained soldiers as well as hunting you just as sport.
    7) The bugs from starship troopers- they are a horde who are uncompromising with different species for different tasks
    8) The Wraith- to them, humans are just food.
    9) Replicators, adaptive, can gain more numbers and it took an ancient super weapon to eradicate them.
    10) The Ori- They were the puppet masters in a crusade to convert every human to origin, human worship fed them.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      For me, Xenomorphs. They might not be the meanest aliens in the galaxy, but they are definitely the ones I find scariest.

I would have ranked the Borg up there, but honestly... First Contact kind of took all the scary out of the Borg for me.
    • Options
      thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      The Alien from Signs.

First time I watched it I was about 12years old... needless to say since then i've drunk over 10,000 bottles of evian..Has to be the only movie thats scared me during a scene that was set in daylight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGtC2S22Z0
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • Options
      sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      Moties are the scariest alien race ever conceived of, no questions asked, no quarter given.

Followed closely by whatever built this.

For aliens I've actually seen that scared me the most, The Thing wins, hands down. Ridley Scott's eponymous Alien would be a distant second, with those city-vaporizing critters from Independence Day coming in third.
      16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
      - Anne Bredon
    • Options
      edited June 2013
      sander233 wrote: »
      Moties are the scariest alien race ever conceived of, no questions asked, no quarter given.
      I'll agree the Moties were disturbing in The Mote In God's Eye, but given what we knew about them, once the Watchmakers were stopped from coming back with the Lenin, they weren't scary yet.

Now, after the developments in the beginning of The Gripping Hand...
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      Vashda Nerada.