test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are ground STFs so horrible?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Seriously.

Compared to Space STFs, it takes 3x as long, there are many more ways to fail, the optionals are MUCH harder to achieve, and I've had to leave about 1/3 of them because the team is just utterly incapable of finishing the end boss.

And the drop rate, at least as far as I'm aware of, is exactly the same.

This is excruciating. I've spent several hours just today playing that counted toward nothing, because I've had to quit out 3-4 times due to 'well, we wiped 4 times against Manus, this isn't happening.' And that's after I've stopped playing Cure Ground altogether, with the Armek fight that ranges from very easy to impossible depending on the group.

Space? There are vanishingly few times I've seen things get impossible, and generally one or two good players can make up for a lot of weakness.

It strikes me as fundamentally messed up that I'm now pretty much forced to run Space STFs over and over to get the 120 EDC to have a ground MK XI set (that I primarily want because KDF costume options are so stupidly limited, which is another rant, and the costume doesn't unlock at X which otherwise I'd content myself with)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Probably because ground combat in this game was never done properly or looked at thoroughly, but that's just a guess. Ground combat in ST in general has never been very good, if you think about it. The most ground combat in any series was probably in TOS and/or DS9, and neither of them show much other than "hide behind questionably protective natural defense and fire back in a trench-warfare-meets-urban-guerrilla-tactics style of combat." The only time ground fights ever got interesting in any of the shows or movies was when the guns were thrown away and it came down to bare fists. But that almost never happens in game.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The AI, or lack thereof, doesn't help. Because it is so dumb and just charges you no matter what, maybe spamming one or two powers over and over and over, it has to have absurd HP and attacks to make up for it. How much more interesting would the combat be if the enemies weren't much tougher than you but actually tried to avoid getting shot?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    And YET AGAIN I blow 40 minutes of my precious time trying to get one of these done, and have to leave with absolutely nothing to show for it because it's clear there's no way this team is going to beat Manus.

Unbelievable.

I really wish you could convert dilithium to EDC, so I could at least be off doing something remotely fun and still get gear. (Like PvP, missions, anything else)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you're just trying to collect EDC, why are you bothering with the ground at all if they annoy you so much? Can't you get the same amount from the space missions?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Consider the following:

In a space mission, you still have all your bridge officers and the power that they bring with them.

On a ground mission, you have none of your bridge officers. You have only your own, personal abilities to use.

In space combat, your personal character class is nearly irrelevant. If a tactical captain flies a cruiser with three engineering bridge officers slotted, then for all purposes he may as well be an engineering captain. Even at top level there is only, what, three class specific special abilities that a captain brings into space combat? So in space combat you have a lot of flexibility in how to play.

In ground combat, your personal class becomes a choking bottleneck for abilities, further constricted by the fact that most of "your" abilities actually come from an external harness ("kit") of some sort or another. A tactical captain has zero heals, for example, and there is nothing that can be to compensate for this other than hoping someone else on the team happens to be a science (medic) captain. Otherwise, you're SOL.

In summary, space combat encourages creative thinking in game play. Ground combat abolishes it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    simple newbs suck
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ReginaMala wrote: »
    If you're just trying to collect EDC, why are you bothering with the ground at all if they annoy you so much? Can't you get the same amount from the space missions?

I was hoping to actually get the rare borg tech drops. I DID get one rare borg armor drop in Khitomer, for example, early on, which has saved me a lot of grind.

If the tech dropped at a rate compensatory with the greater amount of time and hassle (and having to quit out of games a lot), it might be worth it.

So, yeah, it's too horrible and I'll just grind EDCs in space.