test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Poll: Should Cryptic take STO down for a week+ to try and resolve bugs?

dragasheindragashein Member Posts: 11 Arc User
Just post "Yes" or "No".

I'm not sure if they'll pay attention to this or not, but considering how severely bugged important parts of the game are now (PvE queues, for example), it may be necessary in order to get all the bugs resolved in a more timely fashion.

I say "Yes".
Post edited by dragashein on

Comments

• Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it meant that, after that week, every little thing was corrected ...? I'd have to say yes.
  • Options
    thomasangelisthomasangelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes a day to a week, on again off again is becoming too much. Fix the equipment and work out as many bugs as you can. We will stand by you Cryptic.
  • Options
    seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pfft, they took it down for 4 freaking ours and didn't fix anything period, I don't see what taking it down for a week would solve, what would solve it is for them to hire some competent tech and cut loose the monkeys
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dragashein wrote: »
    Just post "Yes" or "No".

I'm not sure if they'll pay attention to this or not, but considering how severely bugged important parts of the game are now (PvE queues, for example), it may be necessary in order to get all the bugs resolved in a more timely fashion.

I say "Yes".

Why do you think taking down the game would help?

If one thing is clear, it's that a lot of these issues don't show up until the live server is running the latest code.

And it's not like every time you get "server not responding," the devs have to stop working.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The amount of revenue they would lose in that week could make them lose Star Trek Online as a whole, let alone the number of people who just wouldn't come back/wouldn't join due to the server being down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they've lost plenty of people straight up because of the current downtimes... but I'm giving the other perspective.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

Half the process of fixing software, is keeping it running so you can gather data... Shutting it down for two weeks solves nothing.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say yes. After todays downtime, I went on STO, Had a couple of hours perfect playing time, then disconnected from server. This is getting feckin stupid. I love what they did with the LOR update, but I never get to stay on long enough to enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    what cryptic really needs to do is stop making new shiny things to distract us from the broken stuff for a little while and focus on fixing the broken stuff. arbitrarily taking the game down wont solve anything... now if it requires an extended down time to get said fixes patched on to the server, sure, go for it.
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game doesn't need to be offline for them to fix bugs. That's what local, in-house testing and builds are for. What they should be doing is spending a week+ on banging out multiple issues at a time, and fixing many of them in one fell swoop during regularly scheduled maintenance, like every other MMO does.
  • Options
    thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No... servers don't run source code... so what would be the benefit in taking anything down? All you'd do is deprive people of game time they're entitled to, and wouldn't provide any benefit at all to the bug fixing effort.
  • Options
    kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    The amount of revenue they would lose in that week could make them lose Star Trek Online as a whole, let alone the number of people who just wouldn't come back/wouldn't join due to the server being down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they've lost plenty of people straight up because of the current downtimes... but I'm giving the other perspective.

I'd say it's closer to a handful. A small, vocal, self-important handful.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No but they should Test all and i mean really all new stuff at there Testservers not like last time were they did not Testet Liberated Borg Romulan and not Crystall Katastroph Elite and had so Bugs because it could not be found on the Testserver because it was not on Testserver.

And also they should test new Content 3-4 Weeks on Testserver.
    And after this get all Bugs out before they put it to Holodeck even if this takes again 4 weeks.

Or the 3. Bug that we cant deleate Mails.
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    slavapolskaslavapolska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd really rather they didn't, no. As much as I'd like for the bugs to be taken care of in a timely fashion, I'd rather they didn't take it down for a week and ruin my vacation! ;)
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think, overall, the issue appears that right now the system is suffering from back-end issues. And the updates appear to be attempting to address those back-end issues. You're likely not going to see the noticeable game-play bugs, like PvE queues and mail issues resolved until the back-end issues are.... simply because addressing those would be putting the cart before the horse at this point.
  • Options
    dragasheindragashein Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    No.

Half the process of fixing software, is keeping it running so you can gather data... Shutting it down for two weeks solves nothing.
    deleroux wrote: »
    The game doesn't need to be offline for them to fix bugs. That's what local, in-house testing and builds are for. What they should be doing is spending a week+ on banging out multiple issues at a time, and fixing many of them in one fell swoop during regularly scheduled maintenance, like every other MMO does.

Fair point. Though I have to wonder if part of the reason they haven't fixed the bugs has something to do with them simply trying to keep the servers up and focusing more on trying to fix the server stability issues as opposed to the bugs that most of us are more concerned about.

To be completely honest, I think they need to completely re-write/compile the game, as odds are pretty damn good that the majority of the issues come from typos and conflicting code...though, as I know nothing about coding, I could be way off...
    threat21 wrote: »
    what cryptic really needs to do is stop making new shiny things to distract us from the broken stuff for a little while and focus on fixing the broken stuff. arbitrarily taking the game down wont solve anything... now if it requires an extended down time to get said fixes patched on to the server, sure, go for it.

I agree. The shinies are nice and all, but I'd rather have a game that functions properly.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What would be the point?

Taking down the server is not going to solve a thing. The reason we are in the current mess is because they failed to do sufficient beta testing, ignored bugs reported both in open and closed beta and didn't even allow 'full testing' during beta (Z-store locked ect)

If it was as simple as taking down the server beta tests would not even be needed. What they need is a time machine and some common sense.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would taking the game offline increase the speed of working on bugfixes? They're two totally unrelated things.

"I dislike trains, should I have a hamburger for lunch? YES/NO"

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just post "Yes" or "No".

I say "Yes".

I honestly can't tell if this is serious or satire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

Quoted for the truth.

However, if the question were "Would you not play this game for a week or two if the game was in good order by then?" Then, yes. I could take time off .
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it will never happen they will lose money
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    razikhielrazikhiel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @OP; Yes.
  • Options
    godfearlessgodfearless Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes yes yes i have bin down for 5 days now ""too meany attempts try again later"" so for 5 more day i don't care just they fix the sever
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

+1
    THIS

The game MUST be running with full load to find the real problems. Sure they should've done the fixing on Tribble, but since they missed some stuff they should continue what they're doing. Spellchecking tooltips can come later.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,426 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

This is the correct response.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just post "Yes" or "No".

I say "Yes".

If that is what it takes:

"YES"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If that is what it takes:

"YES"

My car windscreen has broke. I'm going to leave it by the side of the road for 2 weeks and come back to see if its fixed.

Thats the logic of the OP.
  • Options
    itchielitchiel Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm... I thought they did take it down. I can't get in past the lagacy of fail page without being booted.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No.

They would snooze away most of it and rush at the very end to do the repairs they should have been doing all week at the last minute.

You have to know coders. Unless you chain them to a toilet in their cube they will be wondering about doing their best to avoid working.

Better to hire an angry Manager to scream at them and get them to work during the "normal (daily)" maintenance.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No no no no no no no no.

Did I say no?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    My car windscreen has broke. I'm going to leave it by the side of the road for 2 weeks and come back to see if its fixed.

Thats the logic of the OP.

"If that is what it takes."

I don't care if they have to shut it down, burn the office chair Stahl sits on, or just punch a few keys and do 30 min maintenance. I just want stuff FIXED. If shutting it down for 2 weeks is the only way they can manage, my answer is still Yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk