test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll: Should Cryptic take STO down for a week+ to try and resolve bugs?

13»

Comments

• wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They broke too much in this game and frankly no matter how long they close it down for none of it will be fixed and it would only hurt the already negative outlook on Cryptic.

To be honest a lot of which was already broken before hand and Cryptic was just keeping their mouths shut. As much as i like the games they make, the way they do things is just slowly digging themselves in deeper.
  • mntlrptrsmntlrptrs Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would go 'cold turkey' for 24 hrs tops, if things were fixed! It's getting quite annoying now, and being left in the dark about the week long full of 135MB patches that don't seem to do anything is too.

Please, please, pretty please with a dollar bill on top: What's the deal, Cryptic and/or PerfectWorld? At least let us know, or lose players.
  • abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dragashein wrote: »
    Just post "Yes" or "No".

I'm not sure if they'll pay attention to this or not, but considering how severely bugged important parts of the game are now (PvE queues, for example), it may be necessary in order to get all the bugs resolved in a more timely fashion.

I say "Yes".

In a short:

NO

I do not like ideas that lead nowhere - not under these circumstances!
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm no IT expert, but I think their problem whatever it is relies on people actually being in the game and using it for them to notice or I think they might have already considered this. So I don't think it's going to happen anyway, even if we wanted an STO holiday to come back and find the servers working.
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic, could you take the game down for a day or two? Hammer out all the bugs that are plaguing it at the moment? I mean, we have bugs with the queues, bugs with the ships, bugs with our boffs, bugs with the mail, bugs everywhere! You keep bringing the game down for an hour or two every day so far, and that has not done much in alleviating the problems so. . . more time is needed. A day or two please? I can be patient then.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oracion666 wrote: »
    Cryptic, could you take the game down for a day or two? Hammer out all the bugs that are plaguing it at the moment? I mean, we have bugs with the queues, bugs with the ships, bugs with our boffs, bugs with the mail, bugs everywhere! You keep bringing the game down for an hour or two every day so far, and that has not done much in alleviating the problems so. . . more time is needed. A day or two please? I can be patient then.

How does taking the game down hammer out bugs?

The code is run on your own computer not on the server.

So taking the game down solves nothing.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They haven't even started rolling out the bug patches yet, so far everything has been server maint. It'll probably be thursday of next week before we start to see bug patches coming out on a semi-regular basis for a week or two.

There's a lot of bugs that came along with LOR, and considering the scope of it that really isn't surprising. Tracking and fixing bugs can be extremely time consuming and difficult to do especially right after a major launch. For now just be patient and they'll get to them soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is that a serious question? Because you take it down and you keep it down until the problem is located, fixed and tested to ensure it has been fixed. Then you put the server back up. This is how an mmo company normally responds to these kinds of problems.

Really? In the past EVE Online has had server problems that persist for months after a major update; and they've never taken their server down for over a week.

WoW in the past has often had similar situations (after one patch their servers had massive lag for two weeks straight as they worked to resolve the issue.

if you know of any MMO developer that's taken down their server for a days to a week or more while they fix an issue; please enlighten me, because since I started (with EQ back in 1999) once an MMO's out of beta, I've never heard of a developer actually shutting down their game for days to a week to fix a server software problem (EQ had multiple day outages due to hardware failures and SOE once cut off all access to their MMOs for over a month due to a major account system database breach/theft); but no one has ever shut down their running servers for extended software bug fixes.

When they have the patches to fix the various issues ready to deploy, they'll roll them out as usual. Completely shutting down their servers won't help that process one way or the other (and might in fact hinder it a a lot of these issues didn't become apparent until the servers were undwr major player load; and may in fact not occur under different conditions.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."