test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher won't Engage

screenshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Hodni/stolauncher.jpg

it takes hours for it connect. Been like this the last few days. Last night I started the launcher, logged in, waited around as it confirmed to the point that I just let it be, played something else and 3 hours later it was still trying to connect. WTF? Tired of waiting i went to sleep and left my PC on, its only upon waking up 6 hours later that I found the launcher with the Engage button ready. dafuq?
I had a power outage so i had to start over again and ..ugh launcher is doing it again.
My connection is good, i play other MMO's , its only STO thats having these issues.

what is happening? Does the launcher have some sort of queue as well? Was it actually downloading a patch without indicating that it was? etc etc
Post edited by lunamariacelest on

Comments

• redheaven83redheaven83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't even get that far in my launcher. I click the icon, bam, immediate crash before any textures or buttons crop up. :mad:
  • coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is something majorly inconsistant with this log on issue that I just don't get.

1/ Go to do the patch on sunday, updates ok, but go to log in and crashes my entire system(see the Thanks cryptic..not!! thread for details), this is on my laptop.

2/My 2 boys play on our desktop, and it has had no problems whatsoever...updates fine, loads fine, plays fine(aside from a few obvious gameplay issues).

How can 2 computers that are running perfectly fine, on the same internet connection, in the same house suffer such dramatically different reactions to the same downloaded material?

Where are you located(or anyone else for that matter)? Is there a prevalence of this in certain time zones/continents. if my desktop is taking all this in its stride(and its by no means a high end unit) why are so many others having such problems?:confused:
  • sarlix1sarlix1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The launcher makes my PC crash if I leave it open too long. Makes my screen turn into a wash of colours...one would think their gfx card had just fried. The launcher definitely has some issues. You can run the GameClient.exe to skip the launcher and proceed straight to the game. This is only useful if you don't need to patch however.
  • tenchi2k1tenchi2k1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this started happing to me now. it just stays on loading launcher after i enter my login information, after 10 mins of waiting i had to ctrl+alt+del and manuly close the program..
  • kitsunetearskitsunetears Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Laucnher wont launch

goes to log in window on launcher

says server is down an star trek online website is under maintenance

when i try to log in to launch the game

it densest move past the log in part of the launcher

the button says submit instead of login

wont progress past it

maintenance should have gone longer because it doesn't work

and when it does finally go to the next part to were your sposed to patch an then engage....ACCOUNT ERROR PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION

so i click the link and BAM this page pops up

[http://sto.perfectworld.com/404?url=%2Fsupport%2Faccount_error

You've entered an area of the ship that no longer exists or has been warped to another dimension.

Better head back before you end up lost in the Delta Quadrant.]

WTF IS GOING ON.
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup, having the same problem. The one time I did manage to log in, it responded with "account error" and directed me to a page that doesn't exist.
  • lunamariacelestlunamariacelest Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think its also possible that STO connections are being veeery picky lately. i've observed that the launcher connects flawlessly between 1900 to 2300 UTC anything beyond that is impossible for me.
    I'm able to login and play non stop during those hours as i have observed the past days and only during those hours. The moment it hit 0000 UTC the game connection disappears. Server Not responding messages appear. I am still able to relog but it takes minutes for the character to load.. and even if it does its useless coz upon entering the map, it doesnt even show the "Retrieving List of Maps" message.. the screen just stares into blank space until in disconnects bout 5 minutes later. And that will go on the whole day. I tried dual logging by opening another launcher and whaddya know.. it can't connect to account server again.

Its like the launcher isn't even connecting to the game server at all. I observe my modem and there are no packets being sent or received at all.

is it the launcher having problems connecting to the game server?
    is it the game server not accepting the connection from certain areas during certain hours?

-maybe yes maybe no but then why does it connect easily during 1900-2300 UTC? Sometimes I think STO purposely blocks certain accounts from getting in the server. Prolly to give other players a smoother gameplay. I dunno just theorizing here.
    My net connections are good. I would connect ot other MMO's with no problems whatsoever. I even tried changing ip addresses . Restarted modem and router multiple times.

I didnt exit my running STO program (out of fear i won't be able to get passed the launcher again) but its pretty useless as iv tried logging in from 0100 to 1200 UTC and not a single successful login (Which is also why i've come to the conclusion that if it takes long for your characters to load then its already a bad omen and u wont even get to the loading screen at all upon choosing a character to use)

as of 12:30 UTC I still can't connect to the game server.
  • laytinlaytin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm running into the same problem here. I've run tracert and all my ports are open but for some reason it won't log in. I made it past the launcher once, but it didn't even make it to the character selection screen before it timed out.

Good to know it's not just me, but it still sucks I can't log in.
  • rojomataderorojomatadero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After pressing the login button, the button itself will "depress" after a random amount of time, ranging from less than one second to about one minute. I have been unable to play the game for over 24 hours as a result. Sometimes I get an "Unable to authenticate" error, but usually there is no error given at all.

I'd love to become a lifetime member of STO, but I really can't justify it in my own mind until I can actually play the game.
  • enauxonamunenauxonamun Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You aren't the only person this is happening to, my launcher is doing the same exact thing, flushed DNS, restarted modem, router, pc, i just reinstalled yesterday due to a "corrupt file" as if patching TRIBBLE between every map change isn't annoying enough, now, i can't even log in, what's the point in buying ships and whatnot if i can't even play with them. Guess i'll start another full re-install, and let it run while i sleep.
  • rojomataderorojomatadero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My launcher is working now. I only have the issue where the game times out after 50% of the loading screens between planets, space above planets, and sector space. Which almost feels playable after the lag and inability to even log on I had before.
  • broborabrobora Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've only been playing STO since 13 April 2013, not even 4 months.

In this time I have joined a large Fleet, finished all reputation systems and obtained the relevant space sets from each.

I have a new problem that lacks description on the forums:

Whilst loading the initial STO Launcher interface with links to News, Support, Forums, etc I have the saved Username option allowing my e-mail address to be pre-populated.

The blank password field IS interactable.

If I attempt to click the login button, with no password inputted, I get the "Invalid Username or Password" message.

When I fill the password field and delete the last character of my password I get the "Invalid Username or Password" message.

However, when I fully input my password and press the login button nothing happens.

The millisecond I get to read the interaction description where any messages would be displayed seems to point towards a "failure to authenticate" type message.

If I click login a second time at this point no further messages are displayed and the game client is locked out of use.

Support have been e-mailed and I await the response, until then; the game client is broken making the high-
    quality game inaccessible.

EDIT: THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED
  • broborabrobora Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This problem persists after uninstalling the game, re-installing the PWE Arc Launcher and re-installing the STO Launcher

• banek8banek8 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok guys, I cannot start new threads because I haven't used the forum so I hope that some of you might be able to help with my issue. I will simply copy->paste what I added to the ticket that I sent with the "CrypricError" thingy ...

After the maintenance on october 3rd I started the launcher, signed in, waited for it to patch the game ...
    After the patch the game proceeded with fast launch and went to the black "CRYPTIC" screen with a progress bar on the bottom of the screen as usual ...
    When the progress bar was about 80% full the game crashed ... And this very same "Cryptic Error" window popped up ...

Since I use a rather old laptop I'm used to games and more taxing software to crash every once in a while so I thought nothing of it and attempted to launch the game.
    On this second try the game launcher started verifying some 94850 files that was shown the same way it would be as if it was patching, in the progress bar below the "Crystalline cataclysm event" ...

The verifying took some 10-20 minutes I believe after which the game(or launcher or whatever this is) proceeded to engage the game, the same black "CRYPTIC" loading screen with a progress bar on the bottom of the screen came up, and just like previously the game crashed at about 80% of the bar being full ...

Since then every time I launch the "force verify" option is checked in the launcher options and every time it tries to verify the same 94850 files after which it crashes at about 80% of the loading proccess complete ...

When I checked the "Disable on-demand patching" option in the launcher options the game proceeded to patching some 3,5 or 3,6 Gb which took 4 hours and resulted in the game crashing in the exact same way at about 80% of the loading proccess complete ...
    I attempted launching it manually, I used safe mode, I checked out (and still am) any info on similar experiences that other players may have had, and the only thing that really sounded similar was to delete the "GamePrefs.pref" file in "localdata", after which the game still crashed in the exact same way at 80% of the loading proccess complete ...

Because I had no idea what else to do I uninstalled and re-installed the game, which leaves me with the exact same problem, the "force verify" option is always on and the launcher always tries to verify some 94850 files, after which (or even if I cancel the verification, or uncheck it before signing in) it crashes when the loading process is about 80% complete ... I am really at a loss here, I know that my PC is TRIBBLE, but before this recent update (october 3rd) I never had any problems with it crashing, except a few times when I put the graphics on a higher setting to modify character or ship appearance ... But never before did I experience any loading issues ...

Sorry for the long-winded message folks, but I only started playing the game like 2 weeks ago, and have always been a hard core ST fan so I was really loving the game, and now it's mega frustrating that I cannot play it ...

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help, if you need any more info just ask, but I really don't know what else there is to add ... My system does not meet the requirements, but prior to this october 3rd maintenance it was running the game with almost no issues except for graphics lag when the settings were high or if there was a lot of ships in a fight etc ...
  • cypheruk09cypheruk09 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    brobora wrote: »
    This problem persists after uninstalling the game, re-installing the PWE Arc Launcher and re-installing the STO Launcher

well how did you resolve it?
    edited December 2013
    his anyone else having this issue, i cant believe i was in beta for this game my name was kingofsquill and came back when it went free to play, so decided to come back see the new updates and cant even login, when i press login with out password nothing happens, with username and password nothing happens????
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cypheruk09 wrote: »
    his anyone else having this issue, i cant believe i was in beta for this game my name was kingofsquill and came back when it went free to play, so decided to come back see the new updates and cant even login, when i press login with out password nothing happens, with username and password nothing happens????

Its bad to necro a dead thread....

There has been at least one mandatory password change since the end of Beta, If you have not done so, then you will have to contact PWE Support for help on your issue...
    edited December 2013
    checked the forums cause the op said it was solved thought id ask, and wouldnt let me create a new thread, nothing wrong with passwords i can login to anything on pw but after click play in arc sto launcher come up i put in username and pass and when i click login , nothing happens, if i put in a wrong username and pass nothing happens when i click login so its the launcher
  • wolfenman1013wolfenman1013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i am having similar issues, except my login button is a dead link completely. Everything is working BUT the login button. I haven't had the chance to play the game, but have been told it is good. If anybody knows a solution, please pm me (if there is a pm system)
  • lorddebian666lorddebian666 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fix the damn button so we can play it. Some people are paying good money for nothing. :mad:
  • marshokmarshok Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So I can't try the game now? I am having issues regarding the login button too. It doesn't work. Damn it :(
  • roosevelt2377roosevelt2377 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can you tell me how your got it working again? I only just installed it. I click the button but it doesn't work
    edited December 2013
    My login button is still not working. The launcher loads twice (or something like that) and then, after I entered my login data (which is correct, I checked), the login button doesn't work. Not filling in either username or password doesn't make it work either to present me with an error message. Not fillin in anything is also not working. I'd really like to give this game a try but if it doesn't work, I'm not going to bother :(
    edited December 2013
    any news on a fix?
  • evilkrillin669evilkrillin669 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i have been trying the login button nothing happens first time i ever tryed to play this game and i cant even get to log in.
  • mfritzlenmfritzlen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yep. Im having this issue as well. Happened right after I changed my password too.
  • mfritzlenmfritzlen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mfritzlen wrote: »
    Yep. Im having this issue as well. Happened right after I changed my password too.

Just found a workaround. I shut down the STO start screen and signed out of the Arc completely. When I restarted Arc, I entered the new password and the launcher automatically logged me into STO.

Hopefully this helps someone.
  • infinite5oulinfinite5oul Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    LMAO!! i just downloaded and installed the game all of five minutes ago, and I already have an ISSUE?? OMG! What is gaming going to? If i wanted more stress i would put in for Overtime at work!

The Log-in button is fried, plain and simple, and though i see "this issue has been resolved" posted all over the place, it would seem that no one has had the FOREsight to post the bloody resolution!

Tell you what, i haven't played the game yet to get addicted to it, and many others have not as well, so it'll be just as easy to go back to Steam and play my games that i know actually work and save my loot!

This is Star Trek, I grew up on Kirk and Spock and I would love to see it, but my patience for nonsense died when they shut down CoH for no reason, so please fix this.
  • infinite5oulinfinite5oul Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I found the solution on my own. For the poster above me, you have to go into the actual ST:Online Folder, locate the exe and right click on it. once there put a check in the Run as Admin box, and launch the game. The launcher will pop up, sign in and click play, it will move in about three seconds, and the game will start patching...be patient, its a BIG patch.

P.S. The ST:Online folder is inside the Perfect World folder in your Program Files folder. whew, try saying that three times real fast.
    edited December 2013
    You, sir, are my hero. Now I can finally try the game. I hope. I'll try this solution now and will let you know what happened.

You have my thanks for posting a, for me still, possible solution.

EDIT: It worked. Jesus christ what a fail that there isn't a general message for this fix. Thank you!