What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I just played STWOR, STO blows it away

124»

Comments

• darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    The games appeal to different tastes. But if someone offered me the chance to transfer my LTS to SWTOR, I'd take it in an instant.

Careful. You will be labeled now. :D You can be called a fanboi of something even when you call it TRIBBLE.

But I would too. Basically because the LTS here is worthless when you think of what you get for being LTS over just being Free/Preferred player.

But if I could to any game, I might pick another entirely as well.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The games appeal to different tastes. But if someone offered me the chance to transfer my LTS to SWTOR, I'd take it in an instant.

That is because STO is playable with silver account.

Tor is not. And I'm not giving EA a single dollar, ever.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited May 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    That is because STO is playable with silver account.

Tor is not. And I'm not giving EA a single dollar, ever.

He said transfer. He didn't say he'd give them more money. And this is part of STO's problem. LTS has now been reduced to a playable species for 200 dollars (on average depending on when you bought it).

After getting one in this game, I know never again go LTS in any game.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having played SWG I was expecting something similar but SW:TOR is really an interactive movie, it's a great idea for a single player game but the worst idea conceivable for an mmo, I subscribed for a while but got bored with it pretty quickly, especially with it's joke of a space combat system. Sure the fully voiced interactions are pretty cool the first play through, but the novelty wears off fast, eliminate that part and the game itself isn't very big. I've seen their idea of F2P and they can keep that. SW:TOR simply didn't live up to the hype.
    STO isn't perfect, it has a lot of problems, but I'll take this game over SWTOR any day.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He said transfer. He didn't say he'd give them more money.

This is true, I didn't say that. But I will.

If PWE refunded my LTS, and SWTOR made one magically available to me, I'd get it.

For a free player, STO is a superior game. But if cost is no object, I like SWTOR better.

Right now, STO is completely unplayable for me anyway, because the main thing I was doing in STO was base-building, and that's on hold since we're still waiting for project cost reductions and whatever the mysterious new holding is. Also DOFFs are now monumentally fouled up with the 100-attachment limit and other mail snafus, so I don't even want to touch what I have until they fix mail. Which could be months from now.

Edit:

Just have to add - everyone panning SWTOR's space combat is really off the mark. Sure it's minimal, lackluster and silly. That's because it's a mini-game. Thinking SWTOR sucks because space combat there isn't a fully fleshed game is like dumping STO because tribble breeding is trivial and boring.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Having played SWG I was expecting something similar but SW:TOR is really an interactive movie, it's a great idea for a single player game but the worst idea conceivable for an mmo, I subscribed for a while but got bored with it pretty quickly, especially with it's joke of a space combat system. Sure the fully voiced interactions are pretty cool the first play through, but the novelty wears off fast, eliminate that part and the game itself isn't very big. I've seen their idea of F2P and they can keep that. SW:TOR simply didn't live up to the hype.
    STO isn't perfect, it has a lot of problems, but I'll take this game over SWTOR any day.

You're fine with that stance. The space you speak of is a joke there. There's a video game from the 80's similar to the space game there. I even play it from time to time for free on my MAME arcade cabinet I own. It's called Gyruss.

That's why my first post said space winner STO and it's not even close.

And I say the datacron collecting (or when people on a team mistime their jumps) that they need to practice by playing Donkey Kong.

(and the guy says I can't see what's wrong with a game and calls me a fanboi?)

But at least you can admit STO has issues too. So way to go calling it down the middle as you see it and not be biased. And also showing it's how you feel. You're entitled of course.

The VO work hasn't worn off with me yet. Mainly because I haven't leveled every class yet. And Makeb I haven't completed it with both factions yet. However, I skip any planet mission not a class mission I can because of the "been there, done that" feel I get. So I can understand where you're coming from on that. Some classes I'm even leveling through PvP and FPs just so I can have the other AC without doing the story stuff although for comps I will need to go to the planets and fly through the class quests.

• ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Obvious bait is obvious. Keep trying though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Obvious bait is obvious. Keep trying though.

U mad, bro? At least he can admit to things. And doesn't post it like STO is perfect in every way. Only one who called any game "gold standard" was who? Not me. I never called TOR that. Far from it. Too bad you can't do the same, huh?

Keep trying at not showing your bias. It might happen once and then I can say to you what I said to him. He called it down the middle as he saw it and was fair about it while picking STO. You haven't.

edited May 2013
    This is true, I didn't say that. But I will.

If PWE refunded my LTS, and SWTOR made one magically available to me, I'd get it.

For a free player, STO is a superior game. But if cost is no object, I like SWTOR better.

Right now, STO is completely unplayable for me anyway, because the main thing I was doing in STO was base-building, and that's on hold since we're still waiting for project cost reductions and whatever the mysterious new holding is. Also DOFFs are now monumentally fouled up with the 100-attachment limit and other mail snafus, so I don't even want to touch what I have until they fix mail. Which could be months from now.

Edit:

Just have to add - everyone panning SWTOR's space combat is really off the mark. Sure it's minimal, lackluster and silly. That's because it's a mini-game. Thinking SWTOR sucks because space combat there isn't a fully fleshed game is like dumping STO because tribble breeding is trivial and boring.

I slam their space too. But it does deserve it. That aspect of the game that is. And this so-called "Super Secret Space Project" they said for months and months and months, I don't have my hopes up.

Mainly because they were talking about it while revealing nothing. Then they got quiet at the same time the hard mode space missions hit. Then when people were like "Ok, but when is the SSSP coming?" Then they started with the "oh, it's coming." And months later, still nothing as far as what's coming.

I suspect BW was referring to those hard mode space as the SSSP. But when players asked where was the SSSP after those were released they had egg on their faces and went back to plan something. Then said it's still coming.

The timing of them touting it on the forums to silence to saying something again sort of has me thinking that was supposed to be it. But it wasn't well received.

My feelings of course.

edited May 2013
    You can't read?

I also have admitted bias

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=528931

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=626061&highlight=exploration+missions

I almost feel bad pointing out hypocrisy and lack of comprehension. Almost.

"U mad bro?" Surely the mark of an intelligent counterpoint.

Some things are obvious and some have their heads buried.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=528931

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=626061&highlight=exploration+missions

I almost feel bad pointing out hypocrisy and lack of comprehension. Almost.

"U mad bro?" Surely the mark of an intelligent counterpoint.

Some things are obvious and some have their heads buried.

Intentional. To show how you can label me a "fanboi" when I have said the things it's wrong wtih TOR. Even said the two games are the bottom two in F2P setup in my eyes. Yet, that's a "fanboi" to you? Calling something TRIBBLE.

So I did unto you as you have repeatedly done onto me throughout the thread. And you don't seem to like it much, do you?

And those links are other threads.

edited May 2013
    Must....have...last...word.....

Have fun and keep on Trekking!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

Guess you didn't like how someone can twist stuff like you did with saying I said all F2P is TRIBBLE when I didn't, or act stupid intentionally or not like trying to say this game's F2P is perfect in every way without accepting not one flaw, and the list continues. So you can't take what you dish? Got it. Have fun.

• natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I experienced what you are talking about so far ever second of game play for two days straight. As I said in the original post, STO's community is way better. I literally asked the same question over and over until one person finally responded. This was my question, "where the frak is master "so and so". This person responded because I said frak. This person completly ignored my question and said, ha wrong universe. which begs the question, what do you like better, BSG viper, or X wing. I laughed for the next 20 minutes as what looked like the entire zone began debating about what is better. All because I said frak. What is it? Why is it different or seem different at least? Do Star Wars fans feel jaded? Star Trek has had bad films but I have never felt from this fan base what I feel from that fan base.

I can speculate... my guess is, Star Trek, in true Trek form changed lives. Mainly TOS. Gene's necessity to tackle real life issues every week and challenge the status quo, such as making a woman first officer or placing a black woman on the bridge. People react in positive ways to that kind of leadership. Trek changed lives, Star Wars entertained lives. I am a fan of both. Ever since I found that VHS tape labeled return of the jedi in my dads box I was a fan. But I have to admit, as a fan of both, Trek has changed my life. not Star Wars.

So getting back on point here, STWOR, I am trying to like it but STO is the sh**. seriously everyone

Agree with this message completely. I loved Star Wars as a kid and still enjoy the movies, but I enjoy Star Trek much more as an adult.

I played SWTOR for a while, had some fun, but it left much to be desired. The community there is nowhere near as friendly as it is here. The lack of customization was the first thing I noticed. The cinematics were great, but then it was all just "bleh". Then it got painful. Going through the bounty hunter storyline, I came to a mission that I just couldn't beat. There was no way to get help, nobody was willing to really give helpful advice. Just got stuck, ran out of side quests, no way to skip, nothing, just stuck. Maybe if I threw money at EpAy, I could get some goodies and beat this mission.

Oh well, I'll stick to ST:O so much more fun, friendly community, and I can make a character that's really mine.

The Foundry is great too, really love that. Looking forward to it coming back.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That's why I shrouded him. He can have the last word, for all of me - I won't be paying attention anyway. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • turalisj89turalisj89 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Link to an independent site that says STO is the gold standard of F2P model.

People use LOTRO on sites for games to say "Go look at LOTRO and how Turbine did it" on sites all over the place. I barely played it so that's not me just saying it. I have yet to find that one person point and say "Go see how STO and Cryptic set it up."

http://kotaku.com/5837653/what-free+to+play-means-to-star-trek-online-players

I put up, now you can shut up.
    edited May 2013
    turalisj89 wrote: »

That blog post isn't calling it the "gold standard" as he called it. Mind finding that link again? Or was it in the comments? I see some comments saying bad things too.

EDIT: But love the picture I found from your link. http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2011/09/0829b835ac918c61dbd4760bcc7d34e8/original.jpg It got a chuckle. It was in the comments on that page. Thanks.

• natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haha, great picture. That's how I feel every single time I step foot on ESD.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What SWTor does better is taking and giving quests movie style. The way these quests play out are always the same. STO has so much more going on when you play the storys. Yeah, SWtor has maybe 500% "more" quests. But they are all the same gameplay wise. Its running against sleep till the next cutscene even if you start playing well rested.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CO before the cash shop and the insufferable grinding stores, which mind you a reasonably fun game which quickly lost its appeal when PWE put down roots. anyway, back then the ground combat was for sure interesting, if it was fighting a random dogz group, VIPER or teaming for TT, you certainly could spend some time at it and with diversions to a spawn designated mini bosses where all a player had to do is enter to the area and start shooting the miniboss or his minions, you get a score result in a list of players from time to time and get a random loot drop, usually something nice for your troubles if you ended up 1st.

it kicked the TRIBBLE out of sto ground combat without question. i mean with the lemurian map as well, that was fun watching an underwater starcraft marine wondering around.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The FtP model of STO is awesome. I played DDO, nice game, but to reach max level you have to buy dungeon packs. As I remember you can get points to buy in the game store, but that is very grindy.

I also played Age of Conan. Here you seem to have the same issue more ore less. Untill level 20, a long tutorial quest that is great, everything goes smooth. Max level is at 80 and after 20 it isn't that easy anymore.

More or less, the case is you have to buy game content to progress. That isn't the case with STO. I play for about 16 months and have 12 characters at max level. Hell, I just had three max levels in WoW and I have played that, subbed, for 5 years.

Also, the game makes me want to buy stuff. It is not that I need it, but that I think, that is cool to have with this game. Because that is what I am going to do )again). Buying stuff for max level characters and not buying for characters to get to max level, wondering what there is to do.

Some have already said it, if anybody knows a better model, tell me. Not that I am looking for such a thing, but I am curious how it works.

DDO and *** are good games, but their FtP model is in my view not better.
  • spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is far the graphics of MASS EFFECT 3 however it does make SWTOR look dumb. That game was not fun for me. I played all of 1 hour and just un-installed it. You have awesome cut scenes and then you given mediocre game content. There is very little in the way of customization at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • satinaviansatinavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even the one praising post I found outside this site on some guy's blog that has him sitting in a Kirk captain's chair while wearing his TOS shirt (obvious what we can call the guy), he even said "If I wasn't an LTS, I wouldn't pay 15 a month anymore for this game since there is no real value to it anymore." He's a Trekkie and even he saw some flaws in the STO system that you are too blind to see.

TOR is trying their hardest to keep a "value" to subs so subs will remain is their obvious goal. If their goal was the same as Cryptic's in what they want out of it with players, then BW would be way off the mark. They had 2 million subs at launch and lost 75% of them. They are hoping it will rise again. It won't go back to those numbers though.
    You see, exactly that is,, what we are complaining about.

SWTOR treats f2p like a free trial. And it treads preferred like a paid trial. It wants to push all the people coming with f2p to a sub.

That is pretty near to false advertising. People coming from here, DDO, LOTRO, DCUO and even the original PW game itself expected a freemium game with a cashshop and an optional subscription which was near the premium with all shop purchases.

And they are disappointed. They did not want to start another subscription. If they had, they would have done so when the game was new.

And no, i am not saying that STO has the best f2p model. But it is more or less in the middle of western f2p titles. (Eastern ones tend to be a bit more pay 2 win and pvp focused.) But SWTOR is one of the worst, if you exclude the numerous trial account options of several games.
    edited May 2013
    satinavian wrote: »
    You see, exactly that is,, what we are complaining about.

SWTOR treats f2p like a free trial. And it treads preferred like a paid trial. It wants to push all the people coming with f2p to a sub.

That is pretty near to false advertising. People coming from here, DDO, LOTRO, DCUO and even the original PW game itself expected a freemium game with a cashshop and an optional subscription which was near the premium with all shop purchases.

And they are disappointed. They did not want to start another subscription. If they had, they would have done so when the game was new.

And no, i am not saying that STO has the best f2p model. But it is more or less in the middle of western f2p titles. (Eastern ones tend to be a bit more pay 2 win and pvp focused.) But SWTOR is one of the worst, if you exclude the numerous trial account options of several games.

I never said their F2P in TOR is good. I've called it TRIBBLE in this very thread. So you're preaching to the choir on that part.

The response you replied to was because someone said this game was even better than the ones you listed. And that was me point it out. And I agree with DCUO setup. Even CoX too. Too bad that game is not around anymore.

I haven't played LOTRO enough IMO to say. But that is the game I see the most people point to on how to do a F2P game. You did it too. I was telling that guy that I have yet to see anyone outside this site do the same for STO. That isn't the same as "TOR is the GOAT F2P setup" as their feelings were so hurt by it apparently.

GW and GW2 I like better than both games on how it's set up but those require the box purchase then play for free.

Do you agree though that the follow two statements are not equal?

"Both games are not the top of the line on how to do F2P."

"TOR is the way to do F2P."

Apparently some here think it is.