test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I just played STWOR, STO blows it away

felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
I downloaded the game Star Wars The Old Republic last and played it for the first time today. I will say the one good thing about it first. Cut scenes. They look amazing. Down hill after that and thats were my beloved STO takes over. I was literally lost traveling because of the lack of info from in game pop ups and the games community. I actually asked several questions about where this master was so I could train up. No reply until someone typed the letter r. No mission markers, no indicators, no help from the people around. What in the world. It felt like a twilight zone episode for me after playing STO like I have for years, seeing with my own eyes how the STO community helps new people.

Its a free to play game now so I am a free player. As I was creating my jedi knight I couldnt believe how much was locked out from the get go. I know, this is the norm right? STO sort of broke the mold when they went to F2P by actually looking up the definition of free and going by that. But seriously. It felt blatant, in your face. Saying, look free player, pay up and you get all this, otherwise only choose these two instead of these 6 alien races. I am no newcomer to MMO's. I played WOW years back, CO, STO, and a few others. This is by far the worst experience for me on any MMO ever.

Now, why post here? Because STO destroys STWOR in my humble opinion. Especially after the LOR release. Our community seems nicer and more helpful to new players. After trying to play STWOR I actually have a new appreciation for STO. STO isn't perfect by no means. But is has made improvements that make it vastly superior to STWOR.
Post edited by felixhex on

Comments

• ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bought/played SWTOR when it released. Played for a month and came running back here. Even with everything available to me, it was just 'meh'. STO does most definitely destroy it in many categories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    No mission markers, no indicators, no help from the people around.

You're doing it wrong. SWTOR is really a very user friendly interface that shows you every single little step of the way how to complete the mission you are on and the ones you have up. Not sure how you missed all of that in the mini map. Did you skip the tutorial parts?
    STO sort of broke the mold when they went to F2P by actually looking up the definition of free and going by that.

SWTOR's F2P model isn't that good. But neither is STO's. As far as western hemisphere free to play games go, STO is kind of in the middle. This game relies on you buying things from its store. Luckily its fanbase loves to buy things. So it works. But LOTRO and DDO both have more of a free aspect to their free to play setup. And there's a zillion free to play eastern hemisphere MMOs that have a stronger model than STO.

SWTOR's is certainly worse. But the comparison is really just damning STO with faint praise.
    Saying, look free player, pay up and you get all this, otherwise only choose these two instead of these 6 alien races.

Fed Klingons? Remans? Joined Trill? Feresans? Catians? I'm not sure the alien races is the best example to use for comparison.
    This is by far the worst experience for me on any MMO ever.

You must have missed Tabula Rasa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Between the two:

Space: Winner STO

Ground: Winner TOR

And each category is not even close.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited May 2013
    You're doing it wrong. SWTOR is really a very user friendly interface that shows you every single little step of the way how to complete the mission you are on and the ones you have up. Not sure how you missed all of that in the mini map. Did you skip the tutorial parts?

SWTOR's F2P model isn't that good. But neither is STO's. As far as western hemisphere free to play games go, STO is kind of in the middle. This game relies on you buying things from its store. Luckily its fanbase loves to buy things. So it works. But LOTRO and DDO both have more of a free aspect to their free to play setup. And there's a zillion free to play eastern hemisphere MMOs that have a stronger model than STO.

SWTOR's is certainly worse. But the comparison is really just damning STO with faint praise.

Fed Klingons? Remans? Joined Trill? Feresans? Catians? I'm not sure the alien races is the best example to use for comparison.

You must have missed Tabula Rasa.

I will say STO wins the customization too. But mainly replying to you about the LOTRO and DDO model. It seems Rift can be added to the list too if what they are saying will happen in 2 weeks is true and they don't change it.

EDIT: Oh and TR had the best tutorial ever. It was so good I replayed it over and over again because it was the best part of the game. And what did they do? They changed it and made it suck like the rest of the game.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Between the two:

very much this ^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Between the two:

Exactly.

The thing is, it is playable but you have to get unlocks to make it more playable. If you have enough credits, you can get a lot of the stuff off the GTN except for items people post above you credit cap.

Still the free to play model in STO is way better than SWTOR.
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Between the two:

Absolutely.

I also thoroughly support snoggymack22's comments.

Now that STO has what it should have started with i will now have to swap between the 2, i love them both but for different reasons.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    Its a free to play game now so I am a free player. As I was creating my jedi knight I couldnt believe how much was locked out from the get go. I know, this is the norm right? STO sort of broke the mold when they went to F2P by actually looking up the definition of free and going by that.

Actually, most people who have played SWToR agree that EA/BioWare's model is one of the WORST and most player restrictive F2P models out there and is honestly designed to be so in your face and frustrating (for example, they charge you for 2 more UI action bars which as a Jedi, you'll 100% need around Level 30.)

To go further, even SWToR's official forums can only be posted to if you're a current, paid up subscriber (IE even if you buy a bunch of Cartel Coins with real cash, doesn't matter, you can't post); while I believe Cryptic allows you to post once you've bought/spent $5.00 in Zen; or have 20 hours played in game; or if you ever, at any time subbed to STO (and you can continue to post even if you let the sub lapse and become Silver.)

EA/BioWare's attitude with SWToR seems to be - if you ain't a subscriber, you ain't worth squat - and they perpetuate that throughout the game, causing a real schism in the SWToR in game community (and to be fair there are players that couldn't care less if you're sub or free; but in general, the in game SWToR playerbase really looks down on non-subscribers as 'freeloaders".)

I played SWToR during it's closed beta; and for the first 6 months after release. Overall, I was very disappointed that given 5+ years of development time, they basically created a WoW clone (with full voice over and cutscenes); and honestly chose a horrible (and at the time beta) off the shelf game engine (the Hero engine) - and tacked on a rail-shooter style space combat bengine basically at the last phase of development only because SO MANY players were asking "so I guess SWToR space combat is going to improve on what SWG (at the time) had done" - and after a year of the DEVs trying to claim "Star Wars wasn't really about space combat..."; they knuckled and tacked on the rail-shooter system.

I honestly didn't think it was possible for BioWare to make what I consider a TERRIBLE game (especially based on the Star Wars IP) - but I suppose thanks to EA (who is known as the destroyer of good development studios, once they acquire them), they did it.

IF the game had been released in 2006-2007, it might have fared better; but as someone who played WoW hardcore for 4 years; sorry, but WoW with a Star Wars skin, VO and cutscenes didn't cut it for me.

Funny thing is, I recently upgraded both my gaming laptop and desktop; and even with SWToR being F2P (and I tried their F2P for a month back when they first switched); I haven't yet bother to even re-install SWToR. (YMMV)

For all STO's flaws (and there are a number of them) - I do have to say Cryptic's/PWE's F2P model for Cryptic MMO is one of the least restrictive, and most open (allowing players who have the time and willpower) in that they allow you a way to earn Zen just by actually playing the game itself (yes, someone pays for it, but there's enough available on the Exchange that if someone really wants to play 100% free; and still get items off the C-Store, they can.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited May 2013
    Exactly.

The thing is, it is playable but you have to get unlocks to make it more playable. If you have enough credits, you can get a lot of the stuff off the GTN except for items people post above you credit cap.

Still the free to play model in STO is way better than SWTOR.

Both have plus and minuses. But you are a LTS player here so you are not feeling any of the limits. Think of it as if you were a sub there and what limits you have.

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And this is why I laugh every time I see someone post "These server outages are unacceptable! I'm going to SWTOR and giving my money to EA!" Sure, their servers might be up, but the game is horrible with the worst F2P model I have seen in a long, long time.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited May 2013
    And comparing the two F2P model is like comparing TRIBBLE to dump. Both are bottom of the barrel compared to other games out there btw.

• raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And comparing the two F2P model is like comparing TRIBBLE to dump. Both are bottom of the barrel compared to other games out there btw.

Than why are you here?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been a free player on SWTOR and STO and I think the STO F2P setup is infinitely better IMHO. Also most of the community in SWTOR is, well what I want to put here would get me banned.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013

SWTOR F2P model is unplayable for me. Just unplayable.

And considering the fact that I am currently hated by the only RP guild I liked back there, I have no reason to stay there. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • lastwolf25lastwolf25 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pesonally I'm more SW fan than ST fan, and when I discovered that there was another SW online game I just wanted to play it, never could even log in to the game to even patch anything, done all their tech support suggestions 4 times before contacting them, and the only answer they gave me is that's they are sorry that I couldnt log in to the game, but it's my fault cause my IP isnt from US, Europe or Asia, so I'm here and enjoying the game since apparently in here no one cares where you living or playing from
  • janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As others have already stated, SWTOR's "F2P" model is entirely built around the goal of forcing players to subscribe. Action bars, inventory space, bank space, toggling helmet visuals, recolouring armour, and so on all have to be purchased from the cash shop. What's more, they don't tell you that the advertised prices in their cash shop only applies to a single character - instead, when you make a purchase, you are given the option of spending extra to apply the service across your whole account.

I've never been a huge SW fan, but I checked the game out because I enjoy Bioware's single-player games. I only found one real perk, but I'll admit that it's a big one: the multi-pathed voiced dialogue sequences with your crew. That was the one big innovation that SWTOR brought to the MMO genre. If other studios could apply it to games with more tolerable payment methods, I'd play those games and never, ever leave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I gave SW:TOR a try last year for about 5-6 months as a subscriber. I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan, but I was interested in seeing how "the other half" played. SW is absolutely beautiful to look at. The environments are first rate. I especially loved Drummond Kass and Nar Shardahl (sp?). However, gameplay-wise, I was very underwhelmed.

First, the level of customization on your character is seriously below what you get in STO. You can have a character who's white, black, green, red, or blue. That's about it. In-game, every character runs through basically the same missions, over and over again. Yes, I know its an MMO, and this is something that exists in all games, including STO, but it just seemed to me that I was stuck in the rut of the game from the earliest point of leveling up, and there was no way out. Again, Drummond Kass was my favorite planet, but all 4 "bad" alts did exactly the same things in the same order at the same time every time. It got old really fast.

I'm glad I played the game, and I wouldn't mind if STO took a few styling cues from SW (although not as blatantly as the Tatooine rip-off "Nimbus III" !), but for story, fun, and the ability to play my different character in more of a sandbox setting, I'll take STO any day of the week.
    edited May 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    Than why are you here?

U mad, bro?

Btw, LTS can't be F2P player, can it? I was talking F2P models. So yes both suck in that regard. If you get so bent by that, then too bad. I'm not biased.

edited May 2013
    ggg247 wrote: »
    I gave SW:TOR a try last year for about 5-6 months as a subscriber. I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan, but I was interested in seeing how "the other half" played. SW is absolutely beautiful to look at. The environments are first rate. I especially loved Drummond Kass and Nar Shardahl (sp?). However, gameplay-wise, I was very underwhelmed.

First, the level of customization on your character is seriously below what you get in STO. You can have a character who's white, black, green, red, or blue. That's about it. In-game, every character runs through basically the same missions, over and over again. Yes, I know its an MMO, and this is something that exists in all games, including STO, but it just seemed to me that I was stuck in the rut of the game from the earliest point of leveling up, and there was no way out. Again, Drummond Kass was my favorite planet, but all 4 "bad" alts did exactly the same things in the same order at the same time every time. It got old really fast.

I'm glad I played the game, and I wouldn't mind if STO took a few styling cues from SW (although not as blatantly as the Tatooine rip-off "Nimbus III" !), but for story, fun, and the ability to play my different character in more of a sandbox setting, I'll take STO any day of the week.

Story? I think that's wrong. In STO, depending on faction before LoR, here we played either Fed or half a faction called KDF. And when you level an alt, it's EXACTLY the same story. At least in TOR, it's 8 stories to reach endgame. (4 per faction and the game launched with 2 full factions and not the mess the KDF has been).

If you want variety in story, STO is not the game by any stretch.

People may get mad like that other guy but fact is STO is not the GOAT game as many around here try to make it out to be.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ggg247 wrote: »

Don't blame Cryptic for "Nimbus III". The "Planet of Galactic Peace" first appeared in the (IMO - and I'm a TOS fan to boot) worst Star Trek film produced and released to date:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    (Better know as: Why William Shatner should never be allowed to write/direct/produce a Star Trek film...period!):eek::D;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited May 2013
    Don't blame Cryptic for "Nimbus III". The "Planet of Galactic Peace" first appeared in the (IMO - and I'm a TOS fan to boot) worst Star Trek film produced and released to date:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    (Better know as: Why William Shatner should never be allowed to write/direct/produce a Star Trek film...period!):eek::D;)

It's his opinion of the Tatooine ripoff but it does pre-date that Shat movie. (and you can replace the vowel in Shat to know what I think of that movie too).

Yes, it was even a butt of a joke on the show In Living Color when they did a Trek skit. Jim Carrey did Kirk and David Alan Grier was Spock. Damon Wayans played Farrakhan and came on the ship. He got everyone to turn on Kirk. Grier had a line that said, "Hey, I am stronger and smarter than you. I should be in command. Besides, I'm a better director too." A poke at Nimoy did a better job than Shat.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Story? I think that's wrong. In STO, depending on faction before LoR, here we played either Fed or half a faction called KDF. And when you level an alt, it's EXACTLY the same story. At least in TOR, it's 8 stories to reach endgame. (4 per faction and the game launched with 2 full factions and not the mess the KDF has been).

If you want variety in story, STO is not the game by any stretch.

People may get mad like that other guy but fact is STO is not the GOAT game as many around here try to make it out to be.

If you are talking about official story variety, then SWTOR beats STO easily. However, STO utterly destroys SWTOR in story variety with the Foundry.
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    If you are talking about official story variety, then SWTOR beats STO easily. However, STO utterly destroys SWTOR in story variety with the Foundry.

It took a nation of players to do that. Cryptic couldn't do it though.

Edit: And a few months ago, there was a thread on their site asking for a Foundry feature there. It got hit with TOR's claim to fame (voice work) being the biggest problem of it getting a Foundry type feature. And it's not like STO was the first game to have such a feature either btw.

And Foundry is not part of the story. It's more like add-on. Story is what's on the episode tab.

• rbatalla1977rbatalla1977 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I bought/played SWTOR when it released. Played for a month and came running back here. Even with everything available to me, it was just 'meh'. STO does most definitely destroy it in many categories.

I had the same experience. My problem was that there is no straight path of progration. I got lost and quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Both have plus and minuses. But you are a LTS player here so you are not feeling any of the limits. Think of it as if you were a sub there and what limits you have.

I may be a lifetime here but I know the limitations they have in both games. I also play SWTOR and have seen the limitations that game has as a preferred player which is a mix between free and sub. I have played SWTOR as both a sub and a preferred status. You are locked out of operations over there unless you get a weekly pass and you are limited on warzones, flashpoints and space missions per week unless you buy a pass.

Here in STO free players are free to play everything without being locked out of any content. The only thing you are really limited is bank and inventory slots. You even get more character slots in sto compared to swtor as a free player.
    edited May 2013
    I may be a lifetime here but I know the limitations they have in both games. I also play SWTOR and have seen the limitations that game has as a preferred player which is a mix between free and sub. I have played SWTOR as both a sub and a preferred status. You are locked out of operations over there unless you get a weekly pass and you are limited on warzones, flashpoints and space missions per week unless you buy a pass.

Here in STO free players are free to play everything without being locked out of any content. The only thing you are really limited is bank and inventory slots. You even get more character slots in sto compared to swtor as a free player.

I believe you get more than 2 (now 3) characters in TOR. I need to double check that. But that's how many STO gives free players now with LoR is 3.

EDIT: TOR gives 2 to free, 6 to preferred, and 12 to subs with ability to buy 10 more slots. Limit to 10. Kind of stupid on that. It's like "Take my money." And Bioware says "No. We can't." Calling it down the middle and not being biased again.

But pay a one time fee of 5 dollars on anything or be a previous sub, you get more slots there than here to start out with 6. That's 2 more than a gold member is given here. And do not say "Well, there's the vet rewards slots." That's not part of F2P but another program that can be discussed separately but not on what we are currently discussing by what you said.

• danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also decided recently to try out SWTOR, after resisting over a year due to the closure of SWG and TOR's involvement with that. As others have said, the game is pretty nice graphically, though the characters are a bit more cartoonish.

What killed my involvement in TOR with finality was what I suspected would be so, but gave every chance to them to prove me wrong. TOR's FTP model limited the ability of the player to chat, TRIBBLE character abilities enough to ensure the FTP players could not keep up with the subscribers in terms of character progression and transport across the world, are in any effective way barred from crafting due to the need for at least two crafting/gathering skills to do so (ftp are limited to one), and also prevented FTP players from asking help or providing feedback on the Forums.

All of these were problems, though ones that could be lived with if the player truely liked the game enough. What destroys TOR for any FTP player is not the game, but the company running it.

When a FTP player reaches a certain level, the company requires them to register an email to continue playing that character -at all-. They do not advertise this, of course, and the FTP players cannot post on the Forums to make mention of this, so only Subscribers could do so if any cared about something that didn't affect them. When I finally broke down to make a one-time payment to the Store for an item I decided I really wanted, I graduated to Preferred Customer, and this kicked in the 'One Time Password Email' security feature. However, to avoid having to continuously do this every time you logged in to play the game, you are basically told to buy a security key from the Store.

In every way, the company running the game demonstrates that it is only interested in your money, and their general disdain for the capabilities of MMO players (the infamous 'MMO players just aren't good at that sort of thing' quote often comes to mind) comes through in their treatment of players who fail to commit a regular stream of money to them. Of note, the fact that you can only request tech support in-game if you are a subscriber is one more indication of what the devs of TOR think of anyone else trying out their product.

Contrasting this with the attention STO devs give to their playerbase, the freedom of play options, evolving game systems, and the range of character customizations of STO compared to TOR, I can think of no reason why I would ever want to go back to TOR.
    edited May 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    I also decided recently to try out SWTOR, after resisting over a year due to the closure of SWG and TOR's involvement with that. As others have said, the game is pretty nice graphically, though the characters are a bit more cartoonish.

What killed my involvement in TOR with finality was what I suspected would be so, but gave every chance to them to prove me wrong. TOR's FTP model limited the ability of the player to chat, TRIBBLE character abilities enough to ensure the FTP players could not keep up with the subscribers in terms of character progression and transport across the world, are in any effective way barred from crafting due to the need for at least two crafting/gathering skills to do so (ftp are limited to one), and also prevented FTP players from asking help or providing feedback on the Forums.

All of these were problems, though ones that could be lived with if the player truely liked the game enough. What destroys TOR for any FTP player is not the game, but the company running it.

When a FTP player reaches a certain level, the company requires them to register an email to continue playing that character -at all-. They do not advertise this, of course, and the FTP players cannot post on the Forums to make mention of this, so only Subscribers could do so if any cared about something that didn't affect them. When I finally broke down to make a one-time payment to the Store for an item I decided I really wanted, I graduated to Preferred Customer, and this kicked in the 'One Time Password Email' security feature. However, to avoid having to continuously do this every time you logged in to play the game, you are basically told to buy a security key from the Store.

In every way, the company running the game demonstrates that it is only interested in your money, and their general disdain for the capabilities of MMO players (the infamous 'MMO players just aren't good at that sort of thing' quote often comes to mind) comes through in their treatment of players who fail to commit a regular stream of money to them. Of note, the fact that you can only request tech support in-game if you are a subscriber is one more indication of what the devs of TOR think of anyone else trying out their product.

Contrasting this with the attention STO devs give to their playerbase, the freedom of play options, evolving game systems, and the range of character customizations of STO compared to TOR, I can think of no reason why I would ever want to go back to TOR.

I stopped at the chat. That shows how little you actually know. Free is limited but when you're preferred by either buying a 5 dollar item, it unlocks for you. Same with STO. Almost all F2P games do that to stop gold spammers. It doesn't stop them but does slow them down a little. If you had no idea about that, then you haven't played enough.

• danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I stopped at the chat. That shows how little you actually know. Free is limited but when you're preferred by either buying a 5 dollar item, it unlocks for you. Same with STO. Almost all F2P games do that to stop gold spammers. It doesn't stop them but does slow them down a little. If you had no idea about that, then you haven't played enough.

Perhaps had you continued to read, you would have seen the part where I said this (and other obstacles put in the way of FTP players) was a problem that could be lived with if the player liked the game enough. Had you bothered to read the entire post instead of rushing to prove how knowledgable you are compared to myself, you would have understood that it was only one item in the lengthy items FTP players must deal with, and not the one that dropped TOR from my playing time.

Read the entire post before trying to sound knowledgable, and you might actually become so.
    edited May 2013
    I believe you get more than 2 (now 3) characters in TOR. I need to double check that. But that's how many STO gives free players now with LoR is 3.

EDIT: TOR gives 2 to free, 6 to preferred, and 12 to subs with ability to buy 10 more slots. Limit to 10. Kind of stupid on that. It's like "Take my money." And Bioware says "No. We can't." Calling it down the middle and not being biased again.

But pay a one time fee of 5 dollars on anything or be a previous sub, you get more slots there than here to start out with 6. That's 2 more than a gold member is given here. And do not say "Well, there's the vet rewards slots." That's not part of F2P but another program that can be discussed separately but not on what we are currently discussing by what you said.

I am looking at more from the free player standpoint. My point is, is that STO's free to play model is better than in SWTOR. Its silly stuff that they make you pay for to make it even livable. Still those limitations can be annoying. Be thankful as a free player that you don't have to pay to equip purple gear in sto.