test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

can i get some computer help please

I just messed up and bought a video card to play this and it doesn't work with my processor. Trying to send it back now. I have an Intel Core i3-2120 3.3 GHz processor and another computer with an AMD A6-5400K 3.6 GHz. Can someone direct me to videos cards that will run this for both so I can decide?
Post edited by kriact on

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What did you buy ?
    Video cards aren't really particular about processor types they work with, it's more about the type of card slot on the motherboard and what OS you have.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • kriactkriact Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GeFroce GTX 650. Intel Pentium 4/D/Core/Core 2/i7 or above processor.
    edited May 2013
    Shouldn't have a problem, the hardware should work if you have a PCIe 2.0 socket on your motherboard. I'm guessing but you may have winXP SP2 or earlier and the drivers wont install. Ohhhh, I see, it's DX11 support only (means windows vista, win 7 or 8 ONLY). A shame, I wouldn't mind having that card myself. Sorry I can't help much beyond that, I run a 9500GT

http://www.ehow.com/info_8539744_list-directx-9-graphics-cards.html
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited May 2013
    How do I find out if I have the PCIe 2.0 socket? I have windows 7 on this PC and 8 on the other. Would someone list me some video cards please?
  • simplysimonsimplysimon Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A PCIe 2.0 socket looks like this (the blue sockets on the picture, but not necessarily blue on your board) and is towards on the back panel under the processor fan:-

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/attachments/video-cards/5973d1244135398-tv-card-looks-wrong-pci-express-x16-slot-pci-slots.jpg

To be honest I?ll be surprised if your motherboard doesn?t have one as most now do & given the modern processors you?re using you should be ok. Also I can?t see any reason why the card won?t be compatible with either of your processors ? so no need to return it.

Just check if your new Graphics card needs to be connected to the power supply (your User Manual should confirm if this is the case).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Merry Christmas from all at Clan Hunters: www.clanhuntershq.com
    edited May 2013
    In the 3rd post is what the MSI Video Graphics Accelerator Quick User's Guide says for system requirements. The other manual says Minimum 500w or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor for processor. PCI Express - compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot for mother board. I put it in slot that it would fit into. There's only one in it. It sticks out the back and I get only a black screen when it's connected to it. There's a cable that came with it. Should I hook it up to the power supply and see if it works? Don't want to break anything here.
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely !

Most modern video cards require a separate connection to your computers power supply.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kriact wrote: »
    In the 3rd post is what the MSI Video Graphics Accelerator Quick User's Guide says for system requirements. The other manual says Minimum 500w or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor for processor. PCI Express - compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot for mother board. I put it in slot that it would fit into. There's only one in it. It sticks out the back and I get only a black screen when it's connected to it. There's a cable that came with it. Should I hook it up to the power supply and see if it works? Don't want to break anything here.

surely you know somebody that can do this for you? some kid at church or whatnot? after you get the card in you will need to install drivers and possibly have to troubleshoot problems... are you ok with that?
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @kriact, you sure you want to seek advice here?

You might want to have someone come and take a look at it OR google some youtube videos of guys putting together their PCs. Else there's quite a risk that you end up connecting the wrong thing to another wrong thing. Once you see a video of the process, it will simplify things for you greatly.

Here's one example I found in 3s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-Jo0F5HFk

For starters, your card needs more power than your PCI slot can deliver, so that black cable thing-ma-jig is to connect the PC's power supply to your video card. Most newer power supplies have this cable built in, but I'm sure MSI also shipped some adapters with their video card just in case. Unless you're referring to the 'video card to monitor' cable.

You do NOT want to get this part wrong. Although the plugs are designed to prevent people from forcing them together the wrong way... it can be done.
    edited May 2013
    OK I can put it in and all if there's the places that only fit the card. When I went to install the driver it said I just had to click on the driver tag and follow the onscreen instructions. Nothing happened when I clicked on the driver tag and I wound up manually opening the setup file on the disc. What does that mean? I guess I'll open it back up now and see if the power will do it so it'll be a bit before I'm back.
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Absolutely !

Most modern video cards require a separate connection to your computers power supply.

This ^^^

Plug in the power supply to the card. It is a 6 plug connector. Make sure you are getting enough amps of the PSU's rail to the card.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are having difficulty installing drivers from the install disk go to the source.

http://www.geforce.com/

Download GeForce Experience.

This will keep your card up to date.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    The wire that came with the card has two 4 prong ends coming out of the 6 prong end. Inside my PC I only have one end with 4 prongs. Do I have to use both? I can't hook it up if I do.
    edited May 2013
    No, the second 4 prong end is to allow you to plug something else in like a CD drive or something. Just plug in the 6 pin end to your card, and one of the 4 pin ends to a connector coming out of the power supply.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited May 2013
    knocky wrote: »
    If you are having difficulty installing drivers from the install disk go to the source.

http://www.geforce.com/

Download GeForce Experience.

This will keep your card up to date.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    No, the second 4 prong end is to allow you to plug something else in like a CD drive or something. Just plug in the 6 pin end to your card, and one of the 4 pin ends to a connector coming out of the power supply.

I just searched and found out that's called a y-splitter. Doesn't sound like you have to use it.
    edited May 2013
    If your power supply already has the plug you need for the video card you dont need to use it. If it doesn't, that y-splitter will likely have to be used.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited May 2013
    Is it possible to get a picture even though the video card will not work? I got a screen and the device driver was automatically installed and I went to a resolution higher than 600x800.

Now when I clicked my STO icon I get the log in screen and after logging in I get the question "Do you have a Cryptic Studios account?". Nothing happens when I click yes or no. The window doesn't change. Not a problem I've seen other people having when log in on the forums.
    edited May 2013
    kriact wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a picture even though the video card will not work? I got a screen and the device driver was automatically installed and I went to a resolution higher than 600x800.

Now when I clicked my STO icon I get the log in screen and after logging in I get the question "Do you have a Cryptic Studios account?". Nothing happens when I click yes or no. The window doesn't change. Not a problem I've seen other people having when log in on the forums.

Yes, normally a new videocard will be detected by windows and a set of drivers will be installed automatically, tho it is recommended that you goto the card manufacturers website and download the most recent drivers they show for that card, and install them. If STO doesn't give you any message about the video card when it starts I would guess the card should work OK.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited May 2013
    STO is working. Thanks for the replies.