test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heavy FPS drop since LoR (closed, necro)

playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
My ring:

Phenom 955 x4 @ 3.8ghz - CPU/NB 2400mhz
Asus M5A97 EVO
Kingston HyperX 2x4gb 1600Mhz CL8
MSI Cyclone R6850 Power OC Edition 1gb @ 920/1150

Before LoR patch i had around 50-60 fps in heavy combat with medium settings at 1920x1080, now i get around 20 fps (Sometimes drop to 10fps..). I tried every posibile grapich setting, even with all in low can't pass over 30 fps in heavy space combat. In new romulus i get fps drops of 20fps (even in a semi-empty instance)
In the past set the aspect ratio ingame setting to 16:9 instead of using "auto" had a big performance increase with amd grapichs card (maybe some bug there), but now that "trick" isn't working anymore.
myself wrote:
In new romulus (embasy stairs), with LOW grapichs, can't pass 40-45 fps. The GPU is at 100% all time

There is something really really wrong here, 40fps in low with an overcloked 6850? back in season7 i got like 50-60fps constant in new romulus with recommended settings ...

I'm using lastest amd 13.4 driver, windows 7 64bits. My pc is clean, no virus or malware, i play games like battefield 3 without any problem.
John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
Post edited by playhard88 on

Comments

• karr007karr007 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is not just you. I just made some testing with my laptop - Amd A6 3420M APU, 6 gb ram ddr3, Radeon Hd 6520g - 512mb shared memory, nothing special but still in performance it is in recommended settings, according to the official system requirements and game default settings. So on New Romulus adventure zone with absolutely everything on max - 7 to 16 fps. Everything on minimum - 15 to 23 fps. All that on my native screen resolution (1366x768) and latest official AMD drivers (no beta versions). As i saw the difference in graphic quality is nowhere near in any proportions to the fps one. All that since LoR. The laptop is clean and runs well dx 11 games like Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 with 30 fps on low to medium settings, again in native resolution.
  • ghostofphalaxxsghostofphalaxxs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I havent played in a month or maybe more but back to the facts. Since last time I played my Asus Laptop said its final goodbye after 1.5 years ( power jack went bad) so I got a

M17 r4 Alienware laptop
    Intel Core i7-3630QM
    14 GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz
    2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
    17.3-inch WideFHD1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED
    Windows 7 64 bit

I was truly excited because not only it was a upgrade but I knew the LoR was out. Before LoR I ran on recommended settings and pulled in 40-50 fps on my Asus but on high quality I was lucky to pull out 15 fps.

I loaded it up and between recommended and high quality I was pulling 40-30 fps... not much difference but on the highest quality It teeters between 20-30 fps on the ground on new romulus and in the 40's in space. I was still expecting much higher even though in retrospec I probably shouldnt be complaining because its still playable...
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here, i got a High end system.

Its draining more resources then they said it would. Texture updates shoudlve been more efficient, HUD shoulve been more optimized.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glad to hear that i'm not the only one, the performance drop is too much, i really hate play at 20-30 fps...
    edited May 2013
    glad to hear that i'm not the only one, the performance drop is too much, i really hate play at 20-30 fps..
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Experiencing the same but in a low end system with textures in mid and low quality, using XP SP3 and Nvidia Card.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited May 2013
    we need a dev around here :(
    edited May 2013
    playhard88 wrote: »
    we need a dev around here :(

:( its clearly noticable on both of my systems, while the effect isnt that bad the system shoulve been more optimized but it clearly isnt :(

This game has honestly never been great in terms of efficiency or performance though, my high end system should run this game without drops to 30 fps on highest settings, but it does. Its very CPU heavy, and my GPU has very little to do. Dynamic lightning is the main culprit, next to Shadows.

Sad Panda.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • chilleechillee Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a bit of lag at times, but that's connection on high speed DSL pipe (30mbs download) but my fps went down slightly from 88 fps on a 2500x1600 (30" screen) resolution with everything turned on high/max. Since LoR it has fallen at times to 58 fps briefly, so I do notice (although tis usually 74 fps).

So, yes, there does seem to be greater stress to the GPU (I have 24 GB RAM, use an Intel 320 series SSD) since LoR. The ship textures are richer, but still. I suspect driver optimization would be in order. I wonder if the NVidia cards are favored over those from Team Red.

I am afforded this impunity due to having a NVidia Titan... and while I hesitate, I am going to update to the newest driver right now. I hope I can play still, afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    The performance started degrading for me when they made their change to textures immediately before the open beta weekend. Prior to that it ran like butter and looked great, now it runs fine for me much of the time but I get very noticeable stuttering sometimes. Since it seems to correspond to me moving or changing camera direction, I'm guessing it's texture loading that is the culprit. I have no idea why a change that is supposed to make texture loading so much less resource intensive has had the opposite effect for me.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The performance started degrading for me when they made their change to textures immediately before the open beta weekend. Prior to that it ran like butter and looked great, now it runs fine for me much of the time but I get very noticeable stuttering sometimes. Since it seems to correspond to me moving or changing camera direction, I'm guessing it's texture loading that is the culprit. I have no idea why a change that is supposed to make texture loading so much less resource intensive has had the opposite effect for me.

Similar problems here.
    I use an older laptop that still made STO playable on recommended settings...until LoR.
    I've reduced every setting to minimum (or off in some cases) and the game just doesn't improve much.

If LoR is some nefarious plot to get me to use a more robust machine, it may have worked.
    The "minimum system requirements" will have to be changed.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    edited May 2013
    Ive did some small tests on New romulus, at the eppoh fields.

With DX11 my FPS was lower than with DX9 on the same settings. CPU usage skyrocketted in DX11 mode for some odd reason now.

This didnt happen with the old Holodeck where DX11 always gave me a small boost, everywhere.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • ragnusthorneragnusthorne Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually I have noticed increased performance on my oldschool Dual Core, even managed to turn some settings up, it does seems a little more RAM intensive but normally I have actually seen significant improvement in space combat, ground combat perhaps it has dropped some.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For some reason the game is using the CPU like no other game.I mean sometimes I get better frame rates in GTA4 which is known to be cpu heavy...but this is a mmo.On tribble it was running fine.
  • mikenight00mikenight00 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I run an Alienware M14x R2 gaming laptop with:

i5-3230M processor that can be overclocked up to 3.2 GHz
    8GB of RAM
    2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GForce 650M graphics card.

Even with that I have slowing frame rates in parts of heavy battle. This game stressing my machine like that is absolutely ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Forget 5/21
    edited May 2013
    In new romulus (embasy stairs), with LOW grapichs, can't pass 40-45 fps. The GPU is at 100% all time

There is something really really wrong here, 40fps in low with an overcloked 6850? back in season7 i got like 50-60fps constant in new romulus with recommended settings ...

In space arena matches the fps drop to 15, is unplayable
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what you all are doing but I have not seen much if any FPS difference with LoR, I average 35-60 FPS depending on the area or if in a battle etc *some battles I'll see below 30 FPS with tons of plasma torps etc*.

My system atm.

Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.9GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ares Cas 8 1600MHz
    ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard
    Gigabyte HD4890OC 1GB

With this setup I'm pretty much maxed out minus AA*None*, shadows *Med*. DoF *off*, distance details etc all @ 100%, and my resolution is 1920x1080.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its become unplayable for me.

Ive had 3 different cards since the game started and never had any issues. Always ran very smooth.

Was getting about 9-10 fps on New Romulas yesterday regardless of location or number of people around me. Never had an issue simply checking mail on DS9 until after LoR.

Any team maps are nearly unplayable. Ive done Conduit at least 1000x and its always been very smooth. Since LOR its very laggy. Nothing changed on my end. Last week its fine and after LOR its a mess.

Any maps where either team mates or the mobs have fighters becomes stop action animation.

On top of very laggy graphics, the sound will also start glitching much of the time. Sometimes it just cuts out and others all you can hear are the ambient noises.

Ive turned some settings down but really see much improvement.

Like I say Ive had 3 cards over the life of the game, if anything at this point I should be able to turn settings up higher rather lower than when I had a much lesser card.

Solo missions seem fine. It just seems to be any maps with other players - which were not an issue last month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amahcreallyamahcreally Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Smells like driver issues with newer/ATI DX11 cards. There's been ZERO difference in graphics performance since the LoR update for me.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 unlocked 4th core running 3.2GHz
    XFX GeForce GTX275 896MB (not overclocked, this is a DX10 card) 311.06 Drivers
    Asus M4A88TD-V EVO Motherboard
    4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Run 1920x1200, 2xAA, 4xAF, mid-high detail settings, driver texture detail set to Quality

Framerate hangs around 45 almost all the time, goes up to around 60-70 in sector space. The only times I get big dips in framerates is when I'm in an STF or Mirror and 3 or more people/NPCs use a torpedo spread at the same time, but it's been that way for a long time. The other time is when I've got my Mail and DOff roster open at the same time, which also has been that way for a long time.
    edited May 2013
    playhard88 wrote: »

I totally agree, I'm surprised that nobody is complaining about the Games massive Resource hogging, both CPU and GPU wise. This game isnt a 2013 game in terms of complexity and performance, its just a very unoptimized game engine is my bet.

and they keep adding stuff and sh*t its only going to get worse now.

I cant even run New romulus on 'recommended' settings with my high end 670GTX/i3770k @4.5Ghz the CPU fan goes spinning like crazy I mean.. wtf? The highest FPS i get there is 45fps or so which is unacceptable for a game of this 'complexity' versus my high end specs.

I can only imagine ppl with lower end machines have to turn the sliders all the way down to get some decent FPS.

lol. Sad. very sad. and now since LOR, DX11 is even more CPU demanding then DX9 in alot of areas.

The so called optimizations on the UI do not seem to pay off either.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing I've noticed is that there is no appreciable difference in performance with SSAO enabled vs SSAO disabled. Framerate's just as low with it disabled as it is with it enabled, which is interesting, because prior to LoR I could easily get 15fps more just by shutting off SSAO.
    edited May 2013
    nanomorph wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that there is no appreciable difference in performance with SSAO enabled vs SSAO disabled. Framerate's just as low with it disabled as it is with it enabled, which is interesting, because prior to LoR I could easily get 15fps more just by shutting off SSAO.

Thats simply explained by the game needing more CPU usage now. If its CPU limited then you can turn off something like SSAO but SSAO is pretty much GPU demanding only, it wont change your frames now anymore.

Whoohoo.

Try installing GPU-Z and you will still see your GPU usage drop a little bit with SSAO disabled but it will not matter now.
    MT - Sad Pandas
    edited May 2013
    What made the game actually playable (not running great but playable) was reducing Visual FX to medium. Mind you they have been set on High since the intial beta until a few days ago. It worked fine on two other very lesser cards. Worked fine a couple of weeks ago. But now for some reason with a higher end recent card, I can no longer handle that setting.
    driver texture detail set to Quality

See, Since LOR I cant even change the slider. Its stuck in one position. Cant move it to performance, cant move it to quality. Its like the game decided what setting its using and is locked.

Originally Posted by playhard88

Never had any issues on New Romulas. Until LoR. Now I average 9-10 FPS. but its not smooth 9-10 FPS. Its like moving thru molassas. If I go to some out of the way area I might get 14-15 fps. But its still not smooth but very choppy still

Changing the Visual FX setting to Medium made Conduit actually playable. But any Fleet maps are still just laggy messes with sound issues as well.

Used to run Kitomer Stasis a couple of times a day. Always smooth. Its now more or less unplayable even with the lower settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amrynthaamryntha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a lower-end computer, and now I get lag spikes for about 5 seconds on ground and social maps about every 20 seconds. This happens to a lesser extent in the space missions, but it's really aggravating to be jerking around all the time now. I used to be able to play this on higher graphics with barely a problem.

Cryptic, you are making me a sad panda ;_;
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The more I play the more I see this. The game starts out fine, responsive with good fps. Play a few episodes? Its laggy and unresponsive, there is definitely a memory build up happening that wasn't on tribble.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All my settings are enabled and at max. Using DX9 mode. CPU usage for me is about 20%. GPU usage is about 58% per video card and I have 2. Space is 90-150fps. Ground is 50-90fps. New Romulus outside can drop to 38fps at times. Opening a menu will drop my fps to mid teens on ground maps. It did this prior to LOR as well. The only difference I see between pre LOR and LOR being released is a higher gpu usage. Also very slightly reduced fps. And the stuttering now and then on ground maps that seems to be related to loading textures or what not (it is not from downloading files as I have disable on demand patching checked).

So yes there are some issues. People with lower end systems this will be way more noticeable. But I believe everyone is experiencing the issues but some may not notice it as some higher end systems it's not affecting them as much.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
    edited May 2013
    All my settings are enabled and at max. Using DX9 mode. CPU usage for me is about 20%. GPU usage is about 58% per video card and I have 2. Space is 90-150fps. Ground is 50-90fps. New Romulus outside can drop to 38fps at times. Opening a menu will drop my fps to mid teens on ground maps. It did this prior to LOR as well. The only difference I see between pre LOR and LOR being released is a higher gpu usage. Also very slightly reduced fps. And the stuttering now and then on ground maps that seems to be related to loading textures or what not (it is not from downloading files as I have disable on demand patching checked).

So yes there are some issues. People with lower end systems this will be way more noticeable. But I believe everyone is experiencing the issues but some may not notice it as some higher end systems it's not affecting them as much.

i think most of us who are having issues have what could be called "higher" end systems. Newer cards, plenty of ram, multi-core processers. We are noticing it more because we know what our performance was like a couple of weeks ago. I started the game on an 8800GT IIRC and then had a 250GTS. The game performance was more or less flawless with those two. There is no reason my current card shouldnt blow the graphics out to the Andromeda galaxy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Well, in any case. If anyone can confirm my observations, go to new romulus, stand in a specific point, note the average framerate.

Now switch over from DX9 to DX11 or vice versa, and dont change anything else.

Restart the game to initialize the new DX mode, see your FPS plummet or increase by at least 20, and your CPU usage will increase significantly. Its not just on new romulus, Its EVERYwhere. (Obviously only noticable in areas that demand higher usage anyway)

Its not any of my configuration related to or driver combo's, all settings are on default.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also realize that area's with a higher average population or more complex environment will have a major impact on FPS performance, for instance I get a massive FPS hit at Defera and even if I change my settings for some odd reason the FPS doesn't Change ? It maybe the same at NR too I actually haven't been there in awhile so I'll have to go check that out now lols. Regardless there needs to be quite a few optimizations put in place.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    everything has been fine for me no problems until after today's patch, now the framerate is so bad the game is unplayable and my pc is more than powerful to play this game.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
This discussion has been closed.