test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Banned for talking with fleetmates about spam mail.

Comments

• starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Someone just came into the STORP channel and tried to get a massive group of unknowing people to say the forbidden name twice. THIS SYSTEM IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NEEDS TO BE CHANGED IMMEDIATELY.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    I think it would be fair to post a blog about this "feature" so more people are made aware. I saw this post a few days ago and made my fleet and friends aware. But, something in an official capacity needs to be done. They should of also implemented a way to verify accounts are indeed spam/gold farmer accounts.

When I was heavy into City of Heroes, all gold bans were investigated by an actual GM. Automated systems have a way of being abused and wrong. This only proves another reason why our ingame chat is an archaic system. I've already advised my fleet to mainly chat in Teamspeak to avoid any risk.

Yes to the part in red, because of what starboardnacelle just posted, which I was about to reference:
    Someone just came into the STORP channel and tried to get a massive group of unknowing people to say the forbidden name twice. THIS SYSTEM IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NEEDS TO BE CHANGED IMMEDIATELY.

I was among the "unknowing people", though I refused to say it for other reasons entirely - not to mention the fact that several others intervened before anybody else could do it.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't even glance at the chat window most of the time because those yellow "<insert name here> has just acquired a Tal Shiar destroyer" messages were the only things showing up.

Yes, I'm a noob to any sort of MMO and didn't know there was a way to turn them off. Still, if a warning gets buried in messages of who acquired what, it's still an unmitigated fail.

As has been suggested, the warning needs to be in the channel that can't be turned off, the administrator thing or something, or else in a big popup that they have to read and acknowledge before they can click it off.

Personally, I don't care to know who acquired what and which system I just entered. Can those just be eliminated? They're very annoying.

I certainly hope that those who were banned unjustly get their accounts back and I'll just continue to not even use the chatbox.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nxnovacatnxnovacat Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to fix there freaking system. Cryptic may have good intentions with this new countermeasure against gold spammers, but the cost is having customers deal with one hell of a headache were they have to fight to get their account unbanned after doing something unwittingly.

This new moderation system is just a new tool for trolls and griefers to ruin other peoples fun and cause them a TRIBBLE ton of heartache. We pay for this game from time to time. All Cryptic is going to do is ultimately TRIBBLE off legit player and never get the money from them.

Cryptic needs to get there butts in gear and actually read their damn support tickets. They seem to skim them or ignore them entirely and reply with a generic message when they actually do read them.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I hope you reported that person! AFAIK attempting to get someone to say something that'll trigger a ban is pretty much a violation of TOS.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• milesvaugnmilesvaugn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    askray wrote:
    I hope you reported that person! AFAIK attempting to get someone to say something that'll trigger a ban is pretty much a violation of TOS.
    I respectfully disagree. This thread is almost a week old, and we know folks at Cryptic are reading it -- and in that time we have gotten a 'working as intended', a 'the victims had it coming', and a 'Nope - that single word is not on the super-secret auto-ban list'.

I am not affected -- yet -- but this is a major TRIBBLE up, and it affects people who pay. By now there should have been an official apology, the mystery-word auto-ban lottery removed, and compensatory in-game goods and services for those wrongfully punished by this stupidity... and swift action to get all of those accounts un-banned.

The apparent lack of movement is appalling. If getting hundreds of legitimate players auto-banned by the current mechanized moronity is what it takes to get Cryptic to admit wrongdoing and make good, then maybe that is what needs to happen. The current system is badly thought out, badly implemented, and treats the players shoddily -- good show, then, if it is manipulated and abused to hit Cryptic in the wallet.

I do not engage in, or promote, abuses like getting unwitting players banned -- but the only actions possible in-game are the ones that got coded in; the only systems that work are the ones that Cryptic chose to deliberately put there. We have been officially told that the auto-ban is working as intended, so it's hard to call using it an abuse. If Cryptic comes to regret creating it, they should remove it -- and try to avoid similarly egregious disasters in the future.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    askray wrote: »

ah.. good to know. If i see anyone ill report em asap
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • rapshikorapshiko Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beyond how much of a colossal TRIBBLE up this is in terms of system design there is something else that is drawn to my mind. Paying customers, subscribers, can be losing days (or weeks) of service time because of a system that is not working.
    ...To note: Players are given a detailed warning stating what they did wrong, and to not do it again, before being banned -- continuing to do it past the warning will cause the ban. The warning is there for a reason :) ...

A message you have never been made aware of is one you have not received (i.e. it was not given). That it can be missed or lost (in the unending stream of useless/irrelevant information that it is shoved into) is unacceptable. It is utter nonsense to consider it otherwise. The system is not working as intended.

So, players are losing a week or more of service time because your system doesn't work and you are too lazy to actually do something about it. It is not acceptable for there to be no staff to ensure service to customers on the weekend when they are being paid for the service for the product's lifetime or (more applicably) for the span of the month.

Power/water service loss on holidays (or the weekend) is not something that gets dealt with after the holiday, it is dealt with immediately. Loss of this service is not as critical, certainly, but it is one being paid for by many of your customers and is being taken away by a faulty and obscured system.

It is no wonder Cryptic is so widely poorly reviewed.

EDIT: That the solution to the problem considered is "don't use chat" it makes this even more of an awful joke.
  • camaroguy819camaroguy819 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mines back up and running. Really it was kinda annoying but in the end come on, this happened in middle of a huge patch, give em a break. This is just horrific timing. Thanks to my fleetmates for the support.
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is not that it was in the middle of a huge patch but the system itself. For any system to be in place which auto-bans players for simply typing a word is beyond ridiculous. The fact that it has been stated to be "working as intended" either shows considerable short sightedness (given that the warning can be easily missed) or down right indifference to the suffering of innocent players (If it was known that the message could be missed). The first is forgivable assuming that there is a sound apology (of which there has been none). The second is considerably worse and I'm sorry to say is starting to look more likely.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say report that this is going on to all the major MMO sites. See if a little bad press while they try to promote LoR gets them motivated.
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    I'd say report that this is going on to all the major MMO sites. See if a little bad press while they try to promote LoR gets them motivated.

I was thinking along similar lines myself given that I have previously been in touch with someone from Future Publishing who was very helpful (for another matter not concerning STO). However I have no wish to add to the previous bad press that the game has received given that the recent expansion shows much promise for the development team. I would recommend holding back for a few more days to see if there is a change in attitude. I'm sure this thread is still being looked at so lets see if things are addressed before this snowballs into an EA size public relations disaster.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where is the actual warning displayed?

If it's in System Messages, then that's not terribly helpful.

By default I disable all System Messages because seeing things like "You have completed mission" "you have earned X skill points" "you have recieved mission reward xyziop" and so on is just spam by any other definition.

So, if that's where the warning appears, I won't see it.

And for another windows/microsoft fail, my browser on that computer periodically forgets my login cookie, but my mac has rarely done so!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Where is the actual warning displayed?

If it's in System Messages, then that's not terribly helpful.

By default I disable all System Messages because seeing things like "You have completed mission" "you have earned X skill points" "you have recieved mission reward xyziop" and so on is just spam by any other definition.

So, if that's where the warning appears, I won't see it.

And for another windows/microsoft fail, my browser on that computer periodically forgets my login cookie, but my mac has rarely done so!

The warning is shown as a system message, someone posted a screenshot in one of the many threads that got merged into this one inorder to hide the issue.
  • shroommageshroommage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An issue is causing dozens of innocent players to become permanently banned for reasons of which they are completely unaware!

Any other company: "Oh, my god! Take the servers down for a hotfix and find out who was affected immediately!"
    Cryptic: "Serves you right, idiots."
    tilarta wrote: »

That's almost definitely a browser problem. I can't imagine it being related to the OS.
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    total WTF on this

i recall back in the earlier days of subplay, their would sometimes be spambots in ESD on a loop for an hour or so blurting out this websites name :P

still receive random mail on new chars from these guys

yet crytpic decide that we are the ones needing banning?
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    john98837 wrote: »
    The warning is shown as a system message, someone posted a screenshot in one of the many threads that got merged into this one inorder to hide the issue.

Wait a minute!
    So the message warning us we're about to get banned is in the messages everyone disables?

Are we seriously expected to go through all the System message spam after every chat message to find out if our next chat message will get us banned?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Most people turn off system messages because frankly, it gets annoying. For this kind of warning they should have something that overrides players preferences so they can be warned in time. This are two cents in the topic to keep it going. Give Yak his account back you bums!
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    askray wrote: »

I imagine it would be violation of something, if the person continued it after being informed (preferrably officially) that they are doing something wrong. As far as I know this system has not been publicly announced, and so depending on situation and context, there is no certainty that the person asking something on chat line is intentionally abusing the system.

It can easily fall under the same despotic mentality that the original system implements. Seeing the way the system triggers often apparently random bans for people who aren't doing anything wrong that they would have been informed of (the case in my sig is a pretty good example), the only part of EULA that I can think of giving the 'right' to implement this kind of system is the part 19 of PWE EULA.
    PWE may at its option issue warnings and temporary suspensions and permanent terminations of Accounts for user violations. We retain the sole discretion as to when and how to impose warnings, penalties and/or disciplinary actions. We consider the severity of the violation and the number of infractions in making our determination; however, any determination shall be under the absolute discretion of PWE. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PWE always retains the right to terminate or suspend your account at any time for any reason, or for no reason, with or without any warnings and with or without notice..

For the avoidance of doubt, you hereby acknowledge that PWE has sole discretion with respect to termination of your Account, even if there are credits remaining on your Account.

Bolded for emphasis.

Funny thing - I always felt that part was just the generic 'cover your TRIBBLE' thing. This is the first time I've actually seen that clause in action.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is obsessed with bans and threats with bans.Chat bans ,account bans ,threat with bans...ffs ,if you want people to invest time and money in the game you should NOT threat every move with a ban.

People are naming their toons using keywords and talking in zone chat to make people type their name...and no I wont report them because that will chat ban them and players should NOT be allowed or be able to ban other players.
  • beefsupreme79beefsupreme79 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its so easy to make ec in sto, why are spammers even bothering with this game?

"People are naming their toons using keywords and talking in zone chat to make people type their name"

these people should be banned immediately.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE may at its option issue warnings and temporary suspensions and permanent terminations of Accounts for user violations. We retain the sole discretion as to when and how to impose warnings, penalties and/or disciplinary actions. We consider the severity of the violation and the number of infractions in making our determination; however, any determination shall be under the absolute discretion of PWE. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PWE always retains the right to terminate or suspend your account at any time for any reason, or for no reason, with or without any warnings and with or without notice..

For the avoidance of doubt, you hereby acknowledge that PWE has sole discretion with respect to termination of your Account, even if there are credits remaining on your Account.
    Funny thing - I always felt that part was just the generic 'cover your TRIBBLE' thing. This is the first time I've actually seen that clause in action.

For the record, it IS just a generic 'cover our asses' clause. In reality, its not actually enforceable as written. Especially the 'any reason or no reason' part. If anyone ever actually got their account banned under these circumstances and went to court over it, that stuff would never hold up, they would be forced to reinstate the account

but that aside, i'd be more concerned with the fact that this kind of thing is really unacceptable to begin with. it CAN'T possibly be an intentional setup unless whoever designed and implemented it is an idiot that is trying to get their company and customers in trouble

the thing that concerns me most (and nobody seems to have noticed this yet) is that the 'fix' that most people were told to use in order to avoid the spam lockbox messages, was to disable system messages -- which in this case disables those warnings as well
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "People are naming their toons using keywords and talking in zone chat to make people type their name"

these people should be banned immediately.

I think you are looking at the problem from the wrong viewpoint. There should be no possibility for players to trick other players into getting banned. As is, its just a game of hopscotch on a minefield.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • joelleyjoelley Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With a banhammer as flawed as this, I am not surprised certain types pf player are already abusing it to trap others.

I've been around MMOs long enough to know that a flaw will be exploited within minutes of being discovered.

This autoban system is not just flawed, it's suicidal for Cryptic's reputation.

It is already being mentioned on MMO sites, along with Brandon's quote "working as it should".

That, along with chat about the alleged server stability issues being caused by Never Winter having server priority is not doing Cryptic and PWE any good.

This should be switched off or fixed immediately.
    [SIGPIC]Patch.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    joelley wrote: »
    With a banhammer as flawed as this, I am not surprised certain types pf player are already abusing it to trap others.

I've been around MMOs long enough to know that a flaw will be exploited within minutes of being discovered.

This autoban system is not just flawed, it's suicidal for Cryptic's reputation.

It is already being mentioned on MMO sites, along with Brandon's quote "working as it should".

That, along with chat about the alleged server stability issues being caused by Never Winter having server priority is not doing Cryptic and PWE any good.

This should be switched off or fixed immediately.

This is what I suggested a while ago. If it is having unforeseen side effects then it should be withdrawn immediately. Word of this is spreading not just in the STO community but now MMO websites, time to do the responsible thing and temporarily disable it and look at ways to improve it.
    notoryczny wrote: »
    I think you are looking at the problem from the wrong viewpoint. There should be no possibility for players to trick other players into getting banned. As is, its just a game of hopscotch on a minefield.

Agreed. If it becomes easy to grief and do severe damage to a players account then despite it being a ToS violation it should not be done. As was mentioned earlier a lot of sellers use proxies which a griefer could also set up with minimal effort.

You wanna hurt gold sellers?
    Make it so that the time invested isn't worth the money they might make. Force them to play to level 10-20 before they can spread messages and they will pack up and move on.

Implement temporary chat and mail silences for all but fleet channels, this will hurt those that do wrong and make an account useless to a gold seller but a player will still be able to retain some use. Fleets will remove gold sellers and they will be unable to join new ones due to silence.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea there are other ways to go about making things hard for gold sellers.
    but develops always have to add features that get abused by others.

i want to say alot more harsh words about this. but i will refrain
    from doing so.
    --

i think branflake needs a pay raise, always looks like hes doing everyone
    else's job and responding on the forums.
  • blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best way to end the Gold sellers is for Cryptic to sell it themselves. They sell Zen so why not EC? If the Gold sellers can make money with it so can Cryptic. Win Win for all.

That's already in place. You can sell stuff bought with Zen on the exchange for EC's. i.e. Box Keys, FSM's, and several types of boosts.

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blafi wrote: »
    That's already in place. You can sell stuff bought with Zen on the exchange for EC's. i.e. Box Keys, FSM's, and several types of boosts.

he means to literally sell energy credits for real cash
    not to buy ec with zen, but with real cash.
    could do the same with romulan marks, omega marks and nukara marks
    can give people the choice to buy ec, and marks or grind for it.
  • threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    well the skinny of it is cryptic has allowed the gold sellers to wreak havoc on the player community, first by annoying them with spam mail, 2ndly cryptics extreme ninja response to the situation causing real players to get banned and people now having to be cautious of what is said in chat out of fear of the ban hammer.

Really is this the environment that you wanna play in? Games are sposed to be fun, this aint fun...
  • aidan2092aidan2092 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Edit: Quote the wrong person xD
    Maybe being anti social has saved my STO life :P LOL

Yea tell me about it xD, I don't talk much even in groups. I just do what is expected and follow everyone else lol. IN fleet I talk a little but not much, I use to I admit jabber alot in Guild chats in other games cause you know gets lonely just playing mmo's and nothing to talk about. So I start odd conversations on just about anything.

But no more... I'm a speed typer, because of all the responding to questions and just making a laugh in guildchats. Now I just tend to only ask questions that need answering or if i need help with something is all really.

As a note, anything pretaining to Gold-Sellers I ignore out of habit. Sorry but thats an area that everyone should know to not talk about it, if someone is talking about it, just keep moving and keep your thoughts to yourself. Saves the hassle of whats going on now. Pretty much treat anything dealing with EC-sales as the plague and go the other way.

Also I believe also that the warning should be an Admin Level warning, since just about everyone will disable all system messages and the like to clear up chat logs on there main chat box.
    Protecting the Federation since February 2010.
This discussion has been closed.