test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Banned for talking with fleetmates about spam mail.

Comments

• irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    notoryczny wrote: »
    Were you contacted about it in support/ticket section or was it just activated at some point?

No changes for me.

Nope, no update on the ticket whatsoever, just decided to try logging in and it let me in.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    Nope, no update on the ticket whatsoever, just decided to try logging in and it let me in.

Thanks for the info.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It just happened to me.

I didn't say the egg word or anything like that. I don't know why or what happened.
    damn demoralizing is what it is.

I'm no gold spammer.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the info.

No problem, I wanted to keep you all updated as we all have with each other.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    !! omg, you fixed it already?

Thank you so much, whoever did it tyvvvm
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's a simple problem with a system like this, and the same problem is the reason I quit WoW and won't buy anything from activision-blizzard anymore.

You say whatever the first time, allegedly a warning is sent (I suspect it's supposed to be, and may or may not actually be). Before the person receives the warning, or possibly in fact before it's even sent, they do the same thing again. They get banned for a second offense, even though the 'second' offense was committed BEFORE any warnings.

Basically, there is NO place for a system like this to be automated, unless the 'warning message' is done in such a way that the player CANNOT commit a 'second offense' without having seen it first.

In short, if you want to do this Cryptic, you NEED to do it with an EULA style pop-up window, that requires scrolling to the bottom AND clicking of a box to clear it, that blocks all game functions until it's cleared (including if they relog).

Otherwise, it's going to cause more trouble and losses than it helps.

Frankly, if it happened to me, I'd do everything possible to make sure Cryptic and PWE never got another cent of cash as a result of me, directly or indirectly. Even if they restored everything.
  • mikenight00mikenight00 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The next time they pull these shenanigans just report Cryptic Studios to the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley. Making their BBB rating plummet is the only tangible way you can hold them accountable for bad decision making in regards to how they treat their customers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Forget 5/21
  • renzokuken666renzokuken666 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    that's the worst anti spam ive ever seen lol ppl who havnt read this post could get tricked so easily into saying keywords and can potentionaly kill off entire fleets if they lose their leader/leaders.

for example in my fleet weve lost our leader (notoryczny) because he said a word in chat? how is this fair at all!:confused:
    edited May 2013
    graptor wrote: »
    There's a simple problem with a system like this, and the same problem is the reason I quit WoW and won't buy anything from activision-blizzard anymore.

You say whatever the first time, allegedly a warning is sent (I suspect it's supposed to be, and may or may not actually be). Before the person receives the warning, or possibly in fact before it's even sent, they do the same thing again. They get banned for a second offense, even though the 'second' offense was committed BEFORE any warnings.

Basically, there is NO place for a system like this to be automated, unless the 'warning message' is done in such a way that the player CANNOT commit a 'second offense' without having seen it first.

In short, if you want to do this Cryptic, you NEED to do it with an EULA style pop-up window, that requires scrolling to the bottom AND clicking of a box to clear it, that blocks all game functions until it's cleared (including if they relog).

Otherwise, it's going to cause more trouble and losses than it helps.

Frankly, if it happened to me, I'd do everything possible to make sure Cryptic and PWE never got another cent of cash as a result of me, directly or indirectly. Even if they restored everything.

Yes, the working warning system would work. As for causing trouble and losses - it is doing exactly that already. Since one guy got unbanned, that means that someone used some paid worktime to sort it out.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, the working warning system would work. As for causing trouble and losses - it is doing exactly that already. Since one guy got unbanned, that means that someone used some paid worktime to sort it out.

Ironically, exactly what they were trying to avoid using an automated system.

This is one case where it might actually cost more than it saved, though.
  • covenant1960covenant1960 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a fellow fleet founder of this guy, I can vouch that he is a real asset to the game quality, and works hard to encourage new fleet members (and new STO members) to be active in the game. I strongly protest his account being banned.
  • camaroguy819camaroguy819 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon and I spoke on twitter I'm really starting to get worried now. I've been playing since the game first went live. I've been playing since you could only be lvl 40. I still have my defiant for hitting lvl 50 from back when you got a free ship for hitting 50. You would think they would see that. Youd have to imagine the gold spammers are on new accounts. not accounts that have never seen over 10 million ec.

this is the conversation I had with Brandon about it.

https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/337707942516236290
    edited May 2013
    Renzo, Covenant - thanks for showing up.

I hope they will pull out chat logs from the time my account was banned and see that it happened over maybe 3-4 seconds when I was asking what type of spam Renzo received.
    And yes, I play with system notifications relegated to another chat tab, cause I was annoyed when the game told me how much ec I just spent or what zone I entered. I also disabled zone/local/emotes except one chat tab (which normally I don't use). Fly-in messages don't work properly since LoR release, ie no mail notifications (noticed it when mailed doffs to myself). Only fly-ins that work are about someone unpacking a lockbox ship.
    edited May 2013
    Renzo, Covenant - thanks for showing up.

I hope they will pull out chat logs from the time my account was banned and see that it happened over maybe 3-4 seconds when I was asking what type of spam Renzo received.
    And yes, I play with system notifications relegated to another chat tab, cause I was annoyed when the game told me how much ec I just spent or what zone I entered. I also disabled zone/local/emotes except one chat tab (which normally I don't use). Fly-in messages don't work properly since LoR release, ie no mail notifications (noticed it when mailed doffs to myself). Only fly-ins that work are about someone unpacking a lockbox ship.

It sucks to hear that this has not been resolved for everyone especially considering I was one of the newcomers to this problem, hope it gets sorted for you all soon and you have my continued support knowing how annoying it was when it happened to me.

I got no response from Cryptic to tell me it was resolved I just tried logging in, got silenced for 122 years but that seems to have been lifted too.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• dnaangel9dnaangel9 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon said the warning appears in the chat box. If it is a system message and you are anything like me, then the system messages are switched off so obviously you aren't going to see it. The silencing message is a system message too, so I bet it works in the same way.

Brandon, if this is a system message then no wonder people are not seeing it. It should be on the Admin channel which we have no option of switching off.

Good luck to all those innocents.

I never got a warning at all....
    edited May 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    hope it gets sorted for you all soon

Well, I'll just sit and wait till Tuesday, if nothing is done till then I'll send yet another ticket.

Glad to hear they allowed you to talk.
    edited May 2013
    I have been banned for 2 days now..Not a single response to my ticket.

Can someone at Cryptic be so kind as to expedite my customer support inquiry's? This is starting to get frustrating.

Its now been proven (unfortunately) that by saying a certain site in chat 2x is immediate ban. Though I didn't not receive a warning at all, which also in return was a large part of this person getting banned himself. Who might I add is ALREADY un-banned and back in game..
  • camaroguy819camaroguy819 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon said the warning appears in the chat box. If it is a system message and you are anything like me, then the system messages are switched off so obviously you aren't going to see it. The silencing message is a system message too, so I bet it works in the same way.

Brandon, if this is a system message then no wonder people are not seeing it. It should be on the Admin channel which we have no option of switching off.

Good luck to all those innocents.

I too have all that turned off as much as possible, I don't care that another guy won a d'kora or that I just entered mempa sector. I see dkora spam in the middle of my screen, I don't want it in chat too. I know a whole bunch of you all just started paying recently to avoid the queues so I guess it doesn't hold as much weight but I swear I didn't even know about the skipping the queues bonus and 3 weeks ago bought the 3 month subscription. I used to be a paying customer until it went free and was fine with that. But now I have time to start playing more and spending more money in the z-store again and bought the subscription. on my account you can see how much zen ive spent over the years by the ships I have, if this really is gonna stay a permanent ban then I will not "make a new account" as ive been told by others. ive got at least a few hundred dollars worth of ships on mine, im not gonna just swallow that. if my account gets fixed, I guarantee in the next month or 2 im going to be spending another hundred dollars worth of romulan ships easily. I am not even that angry at all yet because I kinda have to believe that had this happened 2 months ago it would've been easily sorted. I do understand LOR probably has them swamped but really cant they perhaps notice this thread, do a mass blanket unban of those that were banned since they turned this feature on, then wait til the LOR stuff dies down to turn it back on when they have the time to monitor it and respond accordingly.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

I will pass along your feedback, but this system is currently in place and working the way it should. If you see anyone trying to trick others, please report them to a GM immediately so an investigation take place and appropriate action taken.

To note: Players are given a detailed warning stating what they did wrong, and to not do it again, before being banned -- continuing to do it past the warning will cause the ban. The warning is there for a reason :)

If you have a friend of fleet-mate that would like to appeal the ban, please have them reach out to our GM team via the methods listed here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267893

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Maybe being anti social has saved my STO life :P LOL
    edited May 2013
    I too have all that turned off as much as possible, I don't care that another guy won a d'kora or that I just entered mempa sector. I see dkora spam in the middle of my screen, I don't want it in chat too. I know a whole bunch of you all just started paying recently to avoid the queues so I guess it doesn't hold as much weight but I swear I didn't even know about the skipping the queues bonus and 3 weeks ago bought the 3 month subscription. I used to be a paying customer until it went free and was fine with that. But now I have time to start playing more and spending more money in the z-store again and bought the subscription. on my account you can see how much zen ive spent over the years by the ships I have, if this really is gonna stay a permanent ban then I will not "make a new account" as ive been told by others. ive got at least a few hundred dollars worth of ships on mine, im not gonna just swallow that. if my account gets fixed, I guarantee in the next month or 2 im going to be spending another hundred dollars worth of romulan ships easily. I am not even that angry at all yet because I kinda have to believe that had this happened 2 months ago it would've been easily sorted. I do understand LOR probably has them swamped but really cant they perhaps notice this thread, do a mass blanket unban of those that were banned since they turned this feature on, then wait til the LOR stuff dies down to turn it back on when they have the time to monitor it and respond accordingly.

yep, same here. i've spent so much money on this game, far more then I ever needed to. Im a f2p player, but that dosent mean we dont contribute. between my 2 accounts ive easily spent well over 500$ to STO. yet as a f2p player im automatically profiled as back of the bus and I dont receive good CS to my ban issue. I played other MMOs including free ones and ive never went this long without SOMETHING of a response.

Now that I am on the "other side of the fence" I lost a little respect for the whole Cryptic/PWE team. i understand paying members as in Subscription get top priority for CS, but a banned account IMO is top priority no matter the case.
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

I will pass along your feedback, but this system is currently in place and working the way it should. If you see anyone trying to trick others, please report them to a GM immediately so an investigation take place and appropriate action taken.

To note: Players are given a detailed warning stating what they did wrong, and to not do it again, before being banned -- continuing to do it past the warning will cause the ban. The warning is there for a reason :)

If you have a friend of fleet-mate that would like to appeal the ban, please have them reach out to our GM team via the methods listed here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267893

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This is completely false. i didn't get a single word as to the reasoning for the ban ( I know now) or so much as a warning. Just a insta kick/ban because I said a said site in chat casually 2x. obviously if i would of gotten a warning, i wouldn't be on this thread..
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This "warning" should be an Admin level message, like the ones you get when the shard is coming down. So that it's hard/impossible to ignore.

This does really suck, talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dnaangel9 wrote: »
    This is completely false. i didn't get a single word as to the reasoning for the ban ( I know now) or so much as a warning. Just a insta kick/ban because I said a said site in chat casually 2x. obviously if i would of gotten a warning, i wouldn't be on this thread..

The warning shows up in system chat, which unfortunately is a part of chat which almost everyone has disabled due to the lockbox ship spam.
    [5:25] [System] Please refrain from posting links to prohibited sites for any reason. Further violations will result in a permanent ban from the game.

In fact, I only noticed that it popped because I checked the logs when my chat failed. I had assumed that I had been drive by silenced again.

Dan while I agree with doing this in principle, I simply cannot condone the means used. A number of friends of mine have already fallen victim to this over zealous censorship, simply due to complaining about their mailboxes filling up with more and more 'golden egg' spam.

It needs to be implemented in such a way that a person cannot help but see the message, i.e. a big window that cannot be closed until it is read completely, that shows the ToS/EULA and the reason why they are seeing this.

Leaving it as it is, would be yet another invitation for disaster.
    I need a beer.

edited May 2013
    Agreed. Though this is pretty sad at how they handle their CS issues.

bottom line is they know they implemented the filter, so no matter if they are P2P or F2P it shouldn't matter. A ticket regarding a players banned account should be top priority. Period

I bet if you opened a ticket stating your having trouble buying 10k zen, you'd get a response and or fix pronto lol
    edited May 2013
    Leaving it as it is, would be yet another invitation for disaster.

For me it has been a disaster already. I got banned for asking what flavor of spam my fleetmate has received. Simple check of chat log would prove I'm innocent of "posting links to prohibited pages". Simple login to my account will prove that I could not see the supposed warning.

Furthermore, sending a warning in system channel is a failed idea, since its either sent to a different, inactive chat tab (as in my case) or sending it after the "infraction" was committed a second time, since the issue of text not appearing in chat window can attributed to chat system hiccup (which is common when servers are crowded).
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me it has been a disaster already. I got banned for asking what flavor of spam my fleetmate has received. Simple check of chat log would prove I'm innocent of "posting links to prohibited pages". Simple login to my account will prove that I could not see the supposed warning.

I was referring to a disaster for them, i.e. players leaving en masse, bad press and negative buzz being generated. Ultimately, it would end the game and muddy their reputation even more.
    Hopefully this is all sorted out, wrongful bans overturned and system corrected! :(
    Furthermore, sending a warning in system channel is a failed idea, since its either sent to a different, inactive chat tab (as in my case) or sending it after the "infraction" was committed a second time, since the issue of text not appearing in chat window can attributed to chat system hiccup (which is common when servers are crowded).

That, my friend, was the point I was making :D
    I need a beer.

• lowsiderlowsider Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just subscribed to this game this week. Is there a list of bannable offenses somewhere?

Played a number of MMO's starting with Pre-CU SWG, never heard of an instaban like this are there others I should know about?
    Lowsider, "I don't crash often but when I do, it's a lowside."
    edited May 2013
    it was a failed idea to begin with.

Im starting to guess there is no Weekend customer support via Cryptic/PWE?

that wouldn't surprise me seeing how my issue is being handled. Which started Thursday afternoon.

I also saw that BOTH Cryptic AND Perfect World has an "F" rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau). I guess it comes with the territory of caring more about profits then Customer Support. Which in my experience with running a business is top priority, without customers there is no profits. In their case who cares right? As long as people keep spam buying lockboxes and duty packs and not putting their feet down about the numerous long living bugs in this game as well as Customer Support issues going days on end without resolve then it will keep going that way.
  • birkepbirkep Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My sympathy to anyone banned. This is ridiculous. To have a warning in system chat is utter fail.

I had a chat moment. I typed something that didn't go through. I almost did the up-arrow and return. Decided to wait, but it never came through. I might have been 1 keystroke away from the same problem.

The solution to gold farmers is easy. Either remove ALL player trading, or sell anything that could be traded for LESS than it can be farmed. Why not a Zen to EC store? They could sell an EC reward pack that has a chance for some extra goodies. Put in some exclusive items and it could even be a moneymaker. The next time someone reports spam, simply go check their prices and undercut them.
    edited May 2013
    Brandon and I spoke on twitter I'm really starting to get worried now. I've been playing since the game first went live. I've been playing since you could only be lvl 40. I still have my defiant for hitting lvl 50 from back when you got a free ship for hitting 50. You would think they would see that. Youd have to imagine the gold spammers are on new accounts. not accounts that have never seen over 10 million ec.

this is the conversation I had with Brandon about it.

https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/337707942516236290

He's obviously oblivious to the problem.

I laughed when he stated to report a GM ticket on an account that is banned to begin with. I mean HELLO!?
This discussion has been closed.