test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nerf need to Defense of new romulus

shrinpo1shrinpo1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I am doing this mission in the level required ship, i.e the D'deridax, which is big fat and slow, does not turn fast, and i have came across this mission which requires you to kill 3 waves of a fleet which you have to move alot, i have actually died over twenty times due to the cone effect weapon of the elchi ships as it hits for 20k or removes 1 side of your side, your not going to ever do this mission and not die due to this, this mission is way unfair on how hard it is, im constantly getting caught by 3 or 4 of these cone effect weapons, going in every direction in space which means i can not get away from it which means i die, and die and die, its highly annoying.

Please nerf this slighly not alot just so im not dieing every 2 seconds
Post edited by shrinpo1 on

Comments

• Options
    nightbringer83nightbringer83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its not a config problem had same issues with my federation heavy curiser in misions where cone firing enemies are present. Space whales can't dance.

Only option is to overtank it to a point when you can eat it. Not that far in romulan storyline to see if it is goning to work with soo many cone firing enemies.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, it's not a ship configuration problem. The mission is badly broken and needs to be re-balanced.

The allied ships are supposed to help you out, but they get wiped out very quickly.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I do agree that this does need to be nerfed a little bit (not much), I still found it doable. I only died 4 times... once on the first wave XD. I was using the mogai warbird, and a lot of IV and VI equipment. My Boff abilities weren't much better either, I was just using the original 4 Boffs and the abilities that they came with (which I would normally never use, and found even more useless on this mission).

What I did to finish the mission was I killed the dreadnaughts one at a time (they are the only ships that don't respawn on this wave), which allowed the named allied ships to stop being on continuous repair timers and actually help out.

The strategy I used to kill the dreadnaughts was: decloak (alpha strike), use all damage boosting abilities, and whatever tactical abilities and any other abilities to boost damage or weaken the enemy ship. Then, when you start taking damage, use heals at your discretion. When you run out of heals you will want to use the warp shadows singularity ability, to give your enemies a distraction when you cloak (then go back to step 1). Note: It can take between 4 and 7 passes with this method to kill a dreadnaught (this method also took me about an hour and a half to complete just this wave), also, to avoid the cones, use evasive maneuvers.

What I think that the only nerf that this mission needs is for the enemies to not continuously respawn. That was my really only annoyance with this mission, as it would have made it a lot easier.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We beta testers had pointed it out to Cryptic in two threads, and discussed it at length. We, however, found no sign that they would take it in consideration or desired to address the mission's ridiculous levels of adversity.

My suggested fix was to the allied ships: include more named vessels on the Romulan side (i.e.: R.W.W. Deihu) and toss the repair mechanic aside in favor of the "infinite-1-hit-point".

It was likely meant to be tastefully epic. It instead came out a un-fun in a very dragged out fashion. So much for an epic impression over a capstone of the Romulan storyline.
  • Options
    thomas28ththomas28th Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm playing this at the moment, and the problem is basically that all of the allied ships are useless, and the enemy fleet - now numbering around 30 vessels, with several dreadnaughts, will mass fire and destroy anything that it fires at.

There isn't a load out which could defend against this.
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's just another sign of Craptics lacklustre and pitiful mission design, they pad the thing out with lots of running and overpowerfull enemies just to make the levels last longer...
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All this mission really needs is for the Devs to nerf the Elachi cone of death into something more reasonable...like a third of its current damage output. If it wasn't for every Elachi ship instakilling your NPC allies at the start of the third wave, this mission would actually be pretty fun. And NPCs don't have enough sense to get out of the way of the Elachi cone of death before it fires, so the only way to really keep them going would be to reduce its damage.

It's pretty bad when one hit from any weapon can severely damage the hull of a fully-shielded D'deridex. When there are several enemies with this same weapon, you see just how futile this mission can become and how your friendly NPCs all die within seconds. :mad:

There were quite a few threads about this on the Tribble Feedback forum, one of which I created. The Devs should be well aware of this problem by now. I'm surprised the mission made it to the main server in its Tribble state.

Other than nerfing the Elachi instakill, the only thing I could think of would be to make this a five-player mission complete with its own PvE queue. That might actually be fun too.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
  • Options
    arthuliasxarthuliasx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just did the mission, and I died over 20 times, in the end the only way I could win was to continuously respawn, rush the command ship, chip away a little, then die and repeat.

All my allied ships die instantly and that instant death cone is pretty rediculous, it needs to be nerfed for sure, though if you notice it does energy damage, and reverse shield polarity will actually ABSORB it, instantly healing shields to max. Don't know if thats intentional, but it worked for me repeatedly, both in this mission and in other elachi missions.

To be honest the part that hurt me worse is that each of the enemy ships uses different subsystem disables on me, ending up with my entire ship disabled, and only letting me do anything for a few seconds before I'm crippled.
  • Options
    magnifyinglensmagnifyinglens Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There have been a number of post-30 missions that were poorly designed, but this one takes the cake.

The first 30 levels or so were fun, interesting, and occasionally challenging. Then a number turned tedious and distinctly un-fun. This mission can't be finished as designed, at least for many captains/ships.

Thanks for the advice here to zerg/die the fleet command ship, as it only took me maybe 6 or 8 deaths once I used that approach. Warp plasma was helpful and blowing up right next to him would add a nice kaboom of damage as well.

Seriously, the design for this is a disaster and when more Romulan captains reach this point the forums will be flooded with "WTF!?" posts.

-Lens
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hate to be the person that makes everyone throw beer cans at my head but...

I didn't have too much trouble with it in my D'D. >_>

Cruise in a little from side. Activate damage buffs, drops C:SV on them, make sure to take a couple out. Start moving towards them, mobs turning towards you now. Clip over first set, singularity jump across the middle. Then eject warp plasma and evasive right through, curve back towards the rear of your fleet; When out of mob ranges battle cloak after popping hazard emitters to repair what 10 - 20% hull damage you'll take. Rinse and repeat.

TT1, C:SV1

EptS1, RSP1, Aux2Struct2, EWP2
    EPtS1, RSP1
    HE1 , HE2
  • Options
    dan512dan512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was hard, yet i managed to do it. Im already lvl 41. Guys just need to learn to play better. ;)
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I do in missions like that, is the hit and run approach. I designed a map that sounds similar to this. Some of my friends did your approaches and all died... a lot. What I and another friend did, were hits and runs. On occasion we'd get tractored and die.

When faced with overwhelming numbers, always do hit and runs.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can pass most episode missions just by pressing the space bar and not bothering to use any boff abilities and still never die. I like a change of pace from this, I hope they don't nerf it.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The mission needs some work, allies that come in are terrible and spend all their time dead regenning, you have to fight fast jumping elachi ships with a big old whale of a ship, and just the sheer number of ships and how their mechanics work make it a pain and lag out the mission.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The elachi are pure evil, i'm stuck because i can't get past the missions, so i've skipped them
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      As I said when we were testing this mission...it is considerably difficult but doable
      It requires you to have mastered Romulan game mechanics and warbirds mechanics.

In other words, does the player know how to play as a Romulan?

Hit and Run tactics seem to work the best chipping off the support ships.
      Once they are eliminated the FED & KDF ships will actually take out the dreadnaughts by themselves, but feel free to give them a helping hand...
      Admiral Jisil T'ror
      Admiral Sovak
      “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
    • Options
      pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      YES!

When you're playing at standard difficulty level the Defense of New Romulus mission should NOT be this hard!!!

I've been playing STO for almost two years now and I'm not a newbie when it comes to ship combat and I know how to config my ship for maximum DPS.

I would understand getting killed as many times as I did if I didn't know what I was doing but this is ridiculous! I died and respawned so many times that the mission just wasn't fun anymore.

When I finally beat that mission I didn't feel a sense of success ... I was just pissed that I died so many times.

This is a game designed for ENTERTAINMENT. People who want an extremely difficult combat experience can turn up the difficulty but the standard difficulty needs to be easier on that mission.

Devs, you need to NERF that Elachi fleet ASAP!
      In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
    • Options
      lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      OMG really?
      Finally get a somewhat challenging PVE to play through 'n people cry nerf.
      shameful.

Get a team to fly it with you 'n you'll walk through it, seriously.
      Ask in your fleet chat. ask in esd. wherever.
      Is NOT THAT HARD.
      rofl.
      "OMG I had to use my head and all the buttons on my hot bar to beat the evil npc's, NERF THEM!!'
      *facepalm
    • Options
      szponixxszponixx Member Posts: 29 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      lake1771 wrote: »
      Get a team to fly it with you 'n you'll walk through it, seriously.

There are players who like to play solo or aren't members of any fleet, you know?
    • Options
      deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      reposting this here, no nerf, it IS your ship config and fight strategy. and right now it's one of the most interesting missions since it's not an easy dps fest.
      not that hard, did it first time through without a death.

skirt the edges, pull out stragglers and beat them up, but always stay at the edges for a quick get away,

cloak as soon as you've pulled out of range, which drops ag, wait a few, decloak, heal up, let skills recharge, go back in.

play like a romulan, not a fed or klingon, and not like the bogus romulans ds9 eps depicted, be sneaky, cautious, careful.

command ship can be pulled from the main pack, do so, that leaves your npc allies cleaning up and keeping the main horde in one place while you whittle down the command ship.

major skills are epts, HE, rsp, ttx2, warp shadows, evasive, singularity jump, quantum absorption. never use plasma shockwave, useless in that encounter.

going full defensive for boffs helps a lot, i didn't so spent a bit of time out of combat healing, had ab1 and ab2 instead of heals, aux to struct 2 would have been better in the third slot. 4th would have left ab2.

command ship is more of wearing it down, killing it with bleedthrough and plasma fires. only managed to take a facing down for maybe 1 second before it was back up. killed it entirely with plasma and bleedthrough, needless to say it was a long fight.

if you're in a hurry, you're going to die, a lot. that simple. the mission is doable, solo, easily, just don't expect it or try and force it to get done fast.

oh, and am a tac captain, ymmv with other classes.

did it solo. change you strat, too many easy missions have got you locked into pew pew to win. this one changes it up where pew pew to win just means you will die...a lot. i prefer this to the snorefest missions and most everything else are, where one strat is all you need.
      Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
      Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    • Options
      pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      reposting this here, no nerf, it IS your ship config and fight strategy. and right now it's one of the most interesting missions since it's not an easy dps fest.

did it solo. change you strat, too many easy missions have got you locked into pew pew to win. this one changes it up where pew pew to win just means you will die...a lot. i prefer this to the snorefest missions and most everything else are, where one strat is all you need.

Standard difficulty in STO has always been about "pew pew" ... and every mission up until Defense of New Romulus can be easily played using the "pew pew" method.

So, if the argument is that by default we should have more difficult missions that require some specific strategies then EVERY mission prior to the Defense of new Romulus (and every mission after) needs to be changed so that they are harder to beat without figuring out the correct strategy.

I think that's the biggest reason we've seen multiple threads now complaining that the Defense of New Romulus mission is out of balance.

Also, if STF missions are any indication, MANY players are ONLY interested in pew pew and don't use their brains. I've learned excellent strategies for all the STF missions over the last two years but I still felt the Defense of New Romulus was more difficult than it needed to be.
      In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      After the devs fix the mission so that the ally ships are able to stay in the fight, players who like the extra challenge can still crank up the difficulty setting. I'm sure that even a properly balanced Defense of New Romulus mission can be sufficiently challenging on elite difficulty.
    • Options
      pinkrikerpinkriker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      YES!

When you're playing at standard difficulty level the Defense of New Romulus mission should NOT be this hard!!!

I've been playing STO for almost two years now and I'm not a newbie when it comes to ship combat and I know how to config my ship for maximum DPS.

I would understand getting killed as many times as I did if I didn't know what I was doing but this is ridiculous! I died and respawned so many times that the mission just wasn't fun anymore.

When I finally beat that mission I didn't feel a sense of success ... I was just pissed that I died so many times.

This is a game designed for ENTERTAINMENT. People who want an extremely difficult combat experience can turn up the difficulty but the standard difficulty needs to be easier on that mission.

Devs, you need to NERF that Elachi fleet ASAP!

Maybe you should change your strat from all offense. I hope it does not get nerfed, most of the missions are easymode, even on hard
    • Options
      khelbinkhelbin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      I just did this mission and it took me just about 20 deaths and quite a bit of frustration. I'd try to whittle down the Elachi Fleet's numbers and they'd just come right back. I'd try to avoid their stupid cone of death, make it out, and still get hit by it for some reason. It doesn't help that the Elachi seem to really hate my computer and make me lag quite a bit. (this doesn't happen when I fight other races, like the Borg or Tal Shiar) This mission could be fun, but in order for that to happen, the Ally ships need to actually be useful and I really think there needs to be a nerf on the cone of death, especially when it seems like all Elachi ships have it. I don't even mind the fact that Elachi ships can teleport around, but combine that with their cone of death, and you're going to die.
    • Options
      edited May 2013
      It's not a matter of nerfing the mission, it's a matter of fixing it. The mission isn't working as intended. The allied ships should be staying in the fight to help you out. Instead, they get wiped out very quickly.
    • Options
      tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      mirai222 wrote: »
      It's not a matter of nerfing the mission, it's a matter of fixing it. The mission isn't working as intended. The allied ships should be staying in the fight to help you out. Instead, they get wiped out very quickly.

Yep.

But hey if snarktoids get to use the words "pew pew" a bunch, why let the facts get in their way.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    • Options
      kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      "Defense of New Romulus" (Devs, This isn't Funny)

I just caught this and I'd like to know, without sounding sarcastic, who was the moron who came up with this part of the Romulan missions? I'm stuck at New Romulus and there is no mother flipping point to this at all. You're sourrounded by hundreds of enemy ships, along with a capital ship you are supposed to defeat, the allied ships disappear and you're stuck getting frakked by enemy ships over and over again.

It's like some dev decided to put in a capitol ship that you cannot hope to defeat and left it like that as a "HA HA, STO GAMERS, FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, WHY DON'TCHA".

Personally, I wish you guys would stay away from the cat nip because its not funny when you create content that nobody in their right mind can beat, unless you're a dev with a God mode of invulnerability.

P.S., somebody needs to nerf this mission.
      possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better