test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Emergency Maintenance (May 22, 2013 - 5:30PM - 7PM PDT) [Complete!]

Comments

• captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of Course there will be downtime get used to it, this is a major update for them and there are other games we can play for 2 hours. Plus we have family and friends we can call and hang out with right now.

Donatra@captaintpol out
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • arinthian11arinthian11 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, thats nice, spent 5 hours waiting in queue, only to get a message 5 minutes after getting in that you guys are doing maintenance during one of the busiest times of the day.
    PWE should break the game up into regional servers, like NA, SEA, EU and such, and run maintenance during late night hours
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Any particular holiday weekend? There's a few coming up this year and not all of them soon...

Memorial day is Monday, This weekend is the memorial day weekend. :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• wolffman78wolffman78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I figure, if we're going down for maintenance anyway, may as well get it all with one go... hopefully. Here is a list of the remaining known issues with LoR release that I have experienced or helped others to troubleshoot:

1. Cannot retrain SKILL points. (Trait points can be retrained, however skill point re-spec attempts return the message "An error occurred while retraining skills."

2. Unable to delete mail

3. Unable to zoom out (very much at all) on sector maps (meaning you have to drag the map up/down/over many times to select destinations). I think this may have been scaled back because the previous UI allowed you to zoom out too far. Might I recommend somewhere in the middle?

4. The sector space speed adjustments are great! That said... did anyone look at the speed to turn rate ratios with the new modifications? My ship seems to fly in circles trying to get anywhere (literally, in circles until i manually lower speed, turn to face the correct direction, and then turn full speed back on.) I think at least a minor adjustment to sector space turn rates is required, or ships will be going too fast to turn effectively.

5. Not meaning to nitpick here, but as long as I have a wish-list going... it would be nice to see an increased drop-rate on warp-cores (as opposed to other types of space gear drops) at least temporarily. I've got a lot of ships on a lot of characters, and they'll all need decent warp cores. The inclusion of a warp core as a reward for the new episode series is nice... but that only covers 1 ship per character... and I notice repeating it does not give a warp core reward option =( I know you equipped each ship with a common quality mk x... but who is really satisfied with that for a level 50 character.

I think that's all I have, for now. All in all, this was a very smooth release compared to what my expectations were. It was also a lot more robust than I expected. Cheers to the dev team! You finally got it right! Now just finish up the fine tuning and debugging, and let us get back to our login queues =P

Thx,

Q
  • kimbrell1007kimbrell1007 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not fair I just got in
  • symcosynsymcosyn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So great this. just waited the last 1 hour and 30 minutes to get online from a queue of 17000 people and 5 minutes after getting on this shows up "Attention Captains: The shard will be coming down for maintenance in 15 minutes. Thank you for playing Star Trek Online" pefectic on so many levels. :mad: :mad:

happened to me too lol...back to the 2 hour queue when they open back up...assuming i decide not to get a decent nights rest :P
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for taking the time to fix the bugs!
  • m3ntali5t1m3ntali5t1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thank you for the advance notice, not like i was in middle of an episode thats taking the better part of an hour to even get through!

needs to be a MUCH more advance notice, kinda have this feeling ill be forced to do it all over again... kinda stupid to nly give a 30 minute notice when you know you'll be doing it for hours before that...
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was literally *seconds* from buying a gold membership when I FINALLY logged in and got the alert about shard maintenance. I immediately clicked "cancel". Saved by the bell.

*sniffs the air*

What's that smell? Hmm. It's familiar. It smells like the excrement of a male cow...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • m5km5k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps fix my missing main character that disappeared during the update?
  • hoan113hoan113 Member Posts: 5,964 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    god this whole update has just been a train wreack:mad:
    "The rains have ceased and we are graced with another beautiful day. but you are not here to see it."
  • sabotage82sabotage82 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online in 27 minutes for emergency maintenance -- we expect this maintenance to only last for 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

The goal of this maintenance is for general performance improvements, as well as fixing a bug with Romulan Liberated Borg captains and their skills.

Patch notes can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=699741

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

So here's my question... Is this emergency maintenance going to solve some of the queue problems? Because I sad in the queue waiting to play for TWO HOURS, then when I finally got to log in, I was kicked in less than 5 minutes for emergency maintenance. I think you guys should have logged who had been in right at the beginning of the maintenance to give them a chance to log back in first. And what about the poor people STILL sitting in the queue when maintenance began? I really feel bad for them. I think PWE should start giving something to those people who have been really affected by this. I didn't get to play at all yesterday because of the shard maintenance in the morning, then waiting for a patch and then couldn't log in because of some server problem.... Following in that, I finally get in and get kicked right away. I got online for 3 minutes lastnight. And I got to play for an hour this morning and have been sitting in the queue ALL FREAKIN DAY!!!! .... This isn't right guys... Star Trek OFFLINE is right.
  • salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    Wow, again? I truly hope Cryptic learn from this, but I doubt it. They didn't learn from the hundreds of times before, hence a lack of multiple servers without running everything on one system.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

We would be totally idiotic if we did forget it.

IF there is a season Nine let us all greet it with the shear loathing and the greatest apprehension it WILL truly deserve.

The Legacy of Romulus was possible by a grant from Carnival Cruises . We make sure our ships have the poorest maintence possible so we can leave you for dead in middle of the ocean.. :P
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_(database_architecture)

not one server, many combined...the only problem is the try to power them all with one poor hamster

Thanks for posting this. I stand slightly corrected now lol - Still though, it's not really the smartest way to be running things. I've seen some MMOs have a few bumps with patches in the past and bugs, but Cryptic by far really knows how to go all out with a really rocky launch of any update / expansion. Even if a few of them went down to BestBuy and bought a few more PCs to run as servers I think it would be something at this point.

I feel just fortunate enough not to have to queue too long as a LTS member, but it shouldn't really happen as often as it does, even for F2P players. None of us should have to put up with this as often as it happens, especially with a company that has been running this game for over 3 years.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • sashibaisashibai Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online in 27 minutes for emergency maintenance -- we expect this maintenance to only last for 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

The goal of this maintenance is for general performance improvements, as well as fixing a bug with Romulan Liberated Borg captains and their skills.

Patch notes can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=699741

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

After spending 4 hours in queue (would have been less but my modem decided to have a fit about an hour in) I get maybe 30-45 minutes of play then another downtime?
    I am a long time gamer and I understand having patch problems but what are you guys doing about this queue problem? 25k in line is seriously a bit much.
  • diabolicaltroopdiabolicaltroop Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL 45 min wait only to have server pulled down. Oh well, I guess I will try again in the AM . Oh while you are at it what happened to the promised special title on our accounts for playing over an hour on the tribble server during the tribble server week end? Also, we win the centurion's helmet and we have to pay to use it? What is up with that? However, even with the petty annoyances still a great game. Good luck and good hunting gang when the server comes back up.:D
    KDF Ancient House of Seplch
    Dahar Master "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
    General Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
    Fleet Admiral Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
  • dmastersondmasterson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to take this chance to point out for everyone complaining about being in the queue for hours:

No one cares what you think, because if you were paying (at all), you wouldn't BE IN THE QUEUE.

Everyone who has been serial complaining about 'QQ i'm number 238283 in the queue, so I should get stuff and perks and gifts to make up for my lost time'... you aren't contributing anything to the pocketbooks so... no.

Just to clear things up: I have monthly sub and my waiting time in the queue over the past few days has numbered in seconds.

tl;dr: If you don't wanna wait, get subscription.
  • huzzah70huzzah70 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow had to spend more than 5 hours then had to force verified patched got in the got told its emegency maintance really you had got to b fkin kidding me everytime we play STO and something crops up and bang we get kicked out with less than an hour playing time there gotta be some sort of reward or dil for our TRIBBLE up time.jeez get it fixed and fix it right..
  • fyyarprydefyyarpryde Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just was able to log in after being 13000th in line. Then maintenance. Oh well.
  • om3ga13om3ga13 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope the que thing will disappear or at least be fixed so people go faster into the game. I jumped on and there was 17,000+ people in line. This has to be worked on and should be priority. I love this game, I am no gold member or life timer but I have been playing since beta, got 1400 hours on here and plan to put more in but the que has to go. No other MMO has a que. STO is still #1.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Brandon,

I'm having problems with my Liberated Borg Romulan and skills saying invalid, after choosing my ally.

I think that particular bug might be back.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• tiger4195tiger4195 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can understand needing maintenance time, since this was such a huge update. That's no big deal. Even a queue isn't unheard of. Safety measures and all. I get that. The only problem I have is that somewhere along the way, while beaming up from spacedock, my character locked up on a loading screen, and I can't play her at all. So for those of you complaining about queue time, you really don't have a reason to whine. I can sit through that ungodly queue, and have no character to access and play at the end. You guys at least get to play once you survive the queue....:( I have to sit here for god knows how long and wait for Cryptic to fix everything else in the game, and then hope maybe they have time enough to free my character from whatever nonsense she's stuck in... Be grateful for what you have, guys...

That being said, for the hours of game time I DID get before my toon locked up, the new update is glorious. The graphics. The gameplay. The smoothness of everything. I love it. The new UI. Just everything. Yeah, there are a few things that tweak me (paying for starship design changes, loss of DOFFs til 11, when I had JUST gotten them, modified firing arcs on starship weapons, etc.), but overall, I think it was pretty spectacular. So, generally speaking, well done Cryptic. Just please... go find my lost toon and fix her.... I really want to play more. T^T
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wish a notice about this had been part of the queue - waited and waited, finally got in, then was informed that the server was coming down in two minutes...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a Lifer, I had to wait 1 minute to get on, this is OUTRAGEOUS!!! :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glad you fixed the liberated borg issue. Too bad for me as I already sent her to death and made a new character..

Still, I can always make another maybe ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• texan1986texan1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    will this allow more people to start playing again
  • zetkhon#3224 zetkhon Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is only one solution to all their troubles. Move the game to the steam servers. That would probably solve most of the current problems.

Could you please remove the fake login queue screen as it doesn't reflect the actual number of players. Well at least you had time to make one up.:)

Well I guess I will have to wait until next year to be able to play.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dmasterson wrote: »
    I'd like to take this chance to point out for everyone complaining about being in the queue for hours:

No one cares what you think, because if you were paying (at all), you wouldn't BE IN THE QUEUE.

Everyone who has been serial complaining about 'QQ i'm number 238283 in the queue, so I should get stuff and perks and gifts to make up for my lost time'... you aren't contributing anything to the pocketbooks so... no.

Just to clear things up: I have monthly sub and my waiting time in the queue over the past few days has numbered in seconds.

Well put. Anyone who's been around here for long enough, gold or silver, should expect this with a launch. I subbed yesterday for 1 month for the respec tokens, bank space, inventory space and the ability to jump to the front of the queues.

No use crying about it, if you don't want to queue for an hour then buy a month's sub - what's so difficult about that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • m3ntali5t1m3ntali5t1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dmasterson wrote: »

Yes cause there arnt people with subscription and lifetime memberships also complaining about sitting in the Q for hours on end....

Oh wait, yes they are, the forums filled with them

Source: SEARCH YOU LAZY ****!
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and what about the nukara rep, CAN WE CANCEL THE UPGRADE YET???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
This discussion has been closed.