test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Popping/Crackling Sounds Since Expansion (closed, necro)

13»

Comments

• rorirori Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Branflakes has received a video that actually contains the popping, he forwarded it to the dev team along with at least one of the threads regarding this issue. No ETA on when it'll be fixed though. Think they've got other more important things on their plates, but we can hope that it'll be in the huge "Bug Squash" patch that's supposed to be coming out sometime this month.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have this issue as well. It gets infuriating after a while. ONLY in my headset and ONLY when playing STO. If I switch to speakers, it goes away.

Though if what you are saying is true, maybe it's still there, but very quiet. Also, my headset and speakers are jacked in, not USB.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rori wrote: »
    Branflakes has received a video that actually contains the popping, he forwarded it to the dev team along with at least one of the threads regarding this issue. No ETA on when it'll be fixed though. Think they've got other more important things on their plates, but we can hope that it'll be in the huge "Bug Squash" patch that's supposed to be coming out sometime this month.

Oh I can imagine. Server stability has to take priority, and I completely agree, and I support them on that. I hope BranFlakes gets hold of that second video that was posted in this thread, as I believe it is even more presenting of the issue.

I have this issue as well. It gets infuriating after a while. ONLY in my headset and ONLY when playing STO. If I switch to speakers, it goes away.

Though if what you are saying is true, maybe it's still there, but very quiet. Also, my headset and speakers are jacked in, not USB.

Aye it's there on me speakers, but I do have to try really hard to notice it. Actually the only reason I noticed it on my speakers was that I was playing with settings and turned ambient sound off, and noticed the popping in the silence of the room.
  • bitovabitova Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Was just about to post re this and found this thread .. add me to the list of folk living with the popping sound with a G35 Headset .. exactly as per the video. Also only since LoR release

Tried exactly the same changes / self fixes as OP and others too
  • landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought I was crazy or that something was breaking.

I am getting the sound issues with a Roccat Kave headset and a Plantronics Gamecom 780.

The sound issue also exists in the current build of Neverwinter. I know it won't narrow it down any, but the popping/crackling sound didn't exist in the weekend test build that ran from March 8 to March 10.
  • joelleyjoelley Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have jacked in 2.1 system, I haven't noticed the popping.

I have however noticed that space combat wpn fire sounds sometimes stop when I am doing estf.

I though at first it was an autofire fail bug, but I could see them cycling cross the action bar, and see the weapons fire.

Then I realised that ALL wpns fire sounds from the whole team had stopped.

The sounds came back when I clicked the fire button again, thinking I had stopped firing.

Seems to me that there is more to the sound fault than the popping.
    [SIGPIC]Patch.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • bluscreen1bluscreen1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Popping here too since the update. =( I'm not using a headset though. I have a SoundBlaster card with some old Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers. So frustrating!

And interesting thing with me is that if I minimize the game, all of the game sounds go silent EXCEPT the popping still happens.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a similar issue.

I think it could be an issue with the source files as I have tried various speakers, headphones, sound cards and it makes no difference. I even tried it on a completely different superior computer. Still no joy.
  • dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have this problem as well. I would have expected it to be fixed by now.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dunnlang wrote: »
    I have this problem as well. I would have expected it to be fixed by now.

My guess is that they are waiting for the bug squashing patch that is coming...hopefully.
  • bluscreen1bluscreen1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Even though it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, it seems to have been fixed for me with the latest patch. Anybody else's problem go away too?
  • beyerebeyere Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For what it's worth, I've been running the game in Crossover by Codeweavers for a few weeks on an iMac and on a System76 laptop running Manjaro linux (Bonobo Extreme). The linux laptop has the popping while the iMac does not.

Weird.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i still do get a very reproducible cracking sound in the Azure Nebula Pve Queue map (every single time).

...i also noticed that my FRAPS is acting up, when i record stuff in STO now, i get visual errors [that call me crazy LOOK like the cracking sound, it is the same interval anyway]... and shortly after FRAPS crashes.

i doubt anything will be fixed until they advance the "code branch" with a new build, which probably falls on the next Season update *whenever*
    because this is not specifically a STO issue, but an engine issue the STO team probably has little to no control over this one.

i already reduced my STO gaming time due to bugs to a bare minimum required and this one is in the top 5 annoying bugs for me, so i guess i *pause* until the next season update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • annexstoannexsto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but is there a fix for this yet? Rear left speaker crackling/popping intermittently is driving me nuts!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    annexsto2 wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but is there a fix for this yet? Rear left speaker crackling/popping intermittently is driving me nuts!

this dont count as the 30 day rule and been have this as well same speaker to but i think its both my rear speakers

i use Realtek High Definition with a 5.1 logitech surround sound
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • lordkratos1974lordkratos1974 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    its been poping on my system as well since LOR came out. it never did that before it. I play a few other games as well like BF3 and the new SimCity and neither one of those games pop like STO does.
  • mclotsodotsmclotsodots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am having the same problems and am using a logitech 550 watt 5.1 surround speaker set, it gets loud and annoying, I thought I was losing my mind at first. I would really like to see some response from Cryptic on this.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    annexsto2 wrote: »

nope

and i don't expect them to fix this before Season 8,
    this is an engine issue obviously and they won't update to the next "branch" before Season 8.

PS: i figgured out the FRAPS issue i talked about in my last post, that was unrelated to STO after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sitheachsitheach Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    For me, not only does the sound click and pop randomly / in random places.. but the client also becomes finicky / laggy when it does. Restarting the client sometimes fixes it, other times its persistent..

I had thought -ignorex64check helped or fixed it.. guess not.
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. ~ Oscar Wilde
  • akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Frequent popping sound still on-going issue for me when playint STO (the only application that causes this on my computer), using a Bose Companion 5 USB speaker system.

This didn't exist before Legacy of Romulus, but has been persistent ever since. Seems more frequent when playing Romulan content, but is qute bad regardless of faction.
    faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    this only began popping during the background noise/music after yesterdays patch. thought it was just me too, but i dont use any headphones, so this has to be asset related. :(
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've submited a few bug reports on Tribble before the launch...

Mainly upon leaving the Romulan Flotilla it's atmospheric sounds carry over to your ship exterior in system space(outside ESD, DS9 Any star system you enter for a mission)

I still see it show up on my Romulan....
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What's your sound card? And ATI video cards have a hi definition sound card on it so disable that in the device manager.
  • burningironeagleburningironeagle Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm getting a constant popping noise, too. I've watched my sound sliders in the windows volume mixer. The pop registers as coming from STO.

The pop occurs whether the game is maximized or minimized. I've tried turning down each individual volume slider ingame and seeing if it disappears, and even with all of them down to 0%, the pop still occurs. It doesn't matter where I am ingame; it's not an issue with anomalous ambient sound files. It's EXTREMELY annoying, and I find it highly inappropriate that Cryptic would allow something like this to continue on such a large scale.

I use a Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset. If memory serves, the popping also occurred when I was using my Razer Megalodon. The sound only seems to occur, based on these reports, in high-end headsets and/or headsets with USB plugs.

On an unrelated note, my other high-end gaming equipment has trouble registering keystrokes properly ingame, often hitting more than one ability simultaneously but unintentionally. I'm quite aggravated that high-end gamers get penalized for using high-end equipment in STO. Whether it's keyboards, mice, or headsets, only the average 15$-40$ garbage seems to work properly.
  • devilius028devilius028 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I had/have similar problem , how i fixed it now is by putting the STO volume down in the windows "volume mixer", then turn up the "overall volume" to your liking, it is still there for me, but its just a "zip zip" zound as if you hear a wave file clipping over...

When it was turned up higher in volume mixer, it would pop so loud it was painfull for my ears...

Hope it helps

I am using Corsair Vengeance 2000
  • neyarineyari Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This bug is still happening, this latest patch seems to have amplified the pop noise again.

Seriously, half a year guys.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Getting worse for me again as well, for a while it seemed to go away, but now it's as bad as it ever was.
  • res1i3jsres1i3js Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've seen this issue in a lot of other games before. If you have a surround sound headset, you will have to set your speakers to just 2 speakers. For me at least, that's what has fixed the problem. It doesn't even sound any different for me. Though of course the difference is noticeable in other games.
This discussion has been closed.