test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is STO worth the hassle anymore?

Comments

• talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious whether or not the general consensus is to move on to the next game or stick it out with STO. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed the game since I started playing. On the flip side I have put a lot of money into it and time which makes these large amounts of lost time all the more frustrating. Most games have hiccups, the quantity and severity of the hiccups really dictates how tolerable they are. Over the past three weeks we have had three major hiccups that have put the game out of reach for it's players for 5 hours or longer. So, the question is does this latest hiccup finally push you to another game or are you too invested or too big of a fan to throw in the towel? Secondary question if you are through with STO what MMO would you be leaving for?

Is sto worth it? No its not.

I only play sto for the star trek factor, however it pales in comparison to actual star trek.
    As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together :). For a star trek game I would wait for this one to come out.

--->STEXCALIBUR<---

It's taken a while, but if you're a star trek fan, you'll really see the amount of TLC in its development. :)
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2013
    The thing is (don't quote me for this, I don't know the statistics at all), for every 1 forum goer that comes on to complain, there are like 1000 others who (wisely) chose to not go on the forums.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited May 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    Oh come on... they apparently do not have the know-how to make the over-the-shoulder cam option persistent, and save/load it from a config file, so instead, they just remove the thing and force everyone to use an over-the-shoulder view, that you can't even scroll-wheel in to first-person-view with.

Why is it so hard to believe they can't resolve the other problems?

(sorry devs, but for the life of me I can't understand how you guys ever thought that was a good idea... I won't be doing any ground action in the future because of it, and it was also enough to change my mind, against buying a lifetime subscription while it is on sale)

-- Smoov

This right there. Over the shoulder is not needed in this game because you do not interact via targeting except for in combat, and that is 1 bajilion times better in FPS view than any third person option. over the shoulder is even bad for jump mazes and third person is supposedly the king of jump mazes, but compensate for the character being 2 character spaces to the left creates more difficulty than just doing it in first person where you cannot see your feet.

Worth it? No. the above reason says no alone having a single view, the past monthes worth of downtime screams very loudly in my ears no. the stupid glitches i am seeing now when i can play doing missions on an alt I already did 4 times previously on my main and 3 other alts without having screams NO.

Fun thing for me, my press twice to roll is shut off, Oddly I press twice and i roll. Option is set to OFFF and yet i roll right into a plasma grenade's green smoke just like i did when i shut it off on 4 toons because of that very reason? NO NO NO NO.

Did the devs even read a single beta bug report and actualy fix it? or did they read them and ignore? was the beta just a pre release for advert purposes? I think it was.

This game could be great, I like the new content, i want to roll my new romulan slot. i really want to enjoy the new ground content on each character. If first and real third person is brought back i could do that and tolerate the other bugs. Now i cannot enjoy the new fed ground content because the over the shoulder cam is just wrong and should have been what was removed.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • marco23hmarco23h Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know, I will strongly polarize. Lets do it :D

Gold-members and life-timers, like me, pay the money for all whiners, who are free-players and enjoy the game. Exactly why gold-members and life-timers have the absolute right of preferential treatment. And sometimes, if there is space on the server, may also fly a free player with us.

Now, chop around.
    Jif [tactician]
    =/\= Fleet Marshal - Lag Industries - PvP/PvE gameplay

Where caution is thrown to the wind, torpedos are thrown at Klingons and the
    finger is thrown to anyone trying to put holes in our ships! -Lag Industries-
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you have to even ask the question, you're predisposed to one conclusion really. Just move on. It is "worth the hassle" if you know how to enjoy something. The clue is in the MMO part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes it is.

Patience is a virtue. Go read a book, or watch a movie, or anything else.

Frankly, I want to say thank you to everyone else suffering because you are helping Cryptic learn the problems so they can fix it. Your frustration and stress is helping my experience be less stressful.

I'm sorry you are going through that but thank you!

:)
  • starsvoidstarsvoid Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO's the only MMORPG I'm interested in continuing to play.

That's why I keep ploughing money into it, despite not having a sub. And at least that way I can subsidize the entitlement-queen LTS'ers and keep the game going for them.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious whether or not the general consensus is to move on to the next game or stick it out with STO. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed the game since I started playing. On the flip side I have put a lot of money into it and time which makes these large amounts of lost time all the more frustrating. Most games have hiccups, the quantity and severity of the hiccups really dictates how tolerable they are. Over the past three weeks we have had three major hiccups that have put the game out of reach for it's players for 5 hours or longer. So, the question is does this latest hiccup finally push you to another game or are you too invested or too big of a fan to throw in the towel? Secondary question if you are through with STO what MMO would you be leaving for?
    Why does it need to be one or the other? I'm currently playing well over a dozen games - some I sub to and some are FTP. When I'm overly-bored with one I just go and try another for a bit - sometimes on the same day.

Do you only ever watch 1 TV show? Do you only ever eat 1 type of food? Do you only ever listen to one music CD/artist? If not then why would you think you'll only ever be happy with 1 type of game?

Variety is the spice of life. It really doesn't need to be one thing or another. It's the 21st century. You can have it all. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    Is sto worth it? No its not.

I only play sto for the star trek factor, however it pales in comparison to actual star trek.
    As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together :). For a star trek game I would wait for this one to come out.

--->STEXCALIBUR<---

It's taken a while, but if you're a star trek fan, you'll really see the amount of TLC in its development. :)

That game sounds very promising, though as an unlicensed piece of work it is very questionable wether it'll see the light of day at one point. But like you, I long for a kind of "Simulation" type of game or an arcade game that's a bit more true to the source material. Even if STO is not the Trek game I long for since "Star Trek" on the NES came out it would be very possible to let this kind of game pay a better tribute to Star Trek - if only the playerbase and/or the developers were interested in this kind of stuff ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together :).

Hit the nail on the head. The only other reason for an MMO is to play together with or against other people and STO really doesn't have that much of that. Only at 50 do you even have to group. Even then the endgame PvE is repetitive and the PvP is horribly lopsided for pre-mades and P2W.
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marco23h wrote: »
    I know, I will strongly polarize. Lets do it :D

Gold-members and life-timers, like me, pay the money for all whiners, who are free-players and enjoy the game. Exactly why gold-members and life-timers have the absolute right of preferential treatment. And sometimes, if there is space on the server, may also fly a free player with us.

Now, chop around.

:confused: So if someone is not a gold or lifer but they spent money on the game they are F2P whiners? If I can be a lifer by paying $299 (actually $199 right now) I would be a part of your group. Or better yet I could be a gold member for one month for $14.99 I would also be a part of your group. Well that means if spent money on even one single tier 5 c-store ship I could have spent more money then a gold member. Is that really how you want to define contribution to the game's growth? Well its a free country and your welcome to your opinion . . . :rolleyes: Perhaps you might want to realize that non gold members and lifers have spent more money then you give them credit for. I know I have spent more through the F2P model then I would have if had just started the game via subscription.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2013

--->STEXCALIBUR<---

That game is vaporware. It's never coming out.
    edited May 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head. The only other reason for an MMO is to play together with or against other people and STO really doesn't have that much of that. Only at 50 do you even have to group. Even then the endgame PvE is repetitive and the PvP is horribly lopsided for pre-mades and P2W.

+1 that :) right on the head

edited May 2013
    variant37 wrote: »
    That game is vaporware. It's never coming out.

Expect it out in 2013

"How would you characterise the changes we are going to see this year?

There has been a shift in development from engine and tool work into gameplay. This is very exciting for us for a number of reasons. Firstly it means we start to actually get a game we can play with. Secondly it means we can start paralleling parts of development which were previously serialised. We will be testing the GOM and modularity of Excalibur to its limits, and also be starting to put together a system for managing the mods.

When will we see a release of Excalibur?

Quick Battle will be the first opportunity for fans to get their hands on the game and we are aiming to make that happen in 2013, so keep you eyes peeled for more news and videos in the new year.

A massive thank you to everyone who voted for us in the IndieDB IOTY awards! "

Enjoy the video in the meantime because -that- is rom/rem ship :)
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-trek-excalibur/videos/scimitar-wings-open

intrepid class in motion with commentary display the games shadow effects, collision control (you can crash into asteroids) and full 3d gameplay as opposed to 2d space
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-trek-excalibur/videos/excalibur-dead-in-space

other videos http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-trek-excalibur/videos

It is a free, community driven project. Bioware's nwn1 back in the 90s is still going because of all the custom mod paks that players made (helk they made better cape releases than bioware ever did). NWN2 came out and that is doing worse because of the its limitations as far as creating new content. NWN(3) cryptics version, well idk about that because I stopped buying anything cryptic after sto. nothing personal, just want to support the community driven projects as opposed to the company and corporate (pwe) driven projects.

edited May 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    :confused: So if someone is not a gold or lifer but they spent money on the game they are F2P whiners? If I can be a lifer by paying $299 (actually $199 right now) I would be a part of your group. Or better yet I could be a gold member for one month for $14.99 I would also be a part of your group. Well that means if spent money on even one single tier 5 c-store ship I could have spent more money then a gold member. Is that really how you want to define contribution to the game's growth? Well its a free country and your welcome to your opinion . . . :rolleyes: Perhaps you might want to realize that non gold members and lifers have spent more money then you give them credit for. I know I have spent more through the F2P model then I would have if had just started the game via subscription.

Ok, you spent money on a single c-store ship. How much? $25? So spending $25 should rise your login-priority? Why?
    Jif [tactician]

• hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marco23h wrote: »
    Ok, you spent money on a single c-store ship. How much? $25? So spending $25 should rise your login-priority? Why?

You know, I found your initial statement amusing, but now you're commenting on login-priority? Let's go over this carefully. Free. To. Play. That means everyone can play it. Which means every customer, even those who play for free, have the same priority, and are worth the same to Cryptic. Sorry to burst your entitled bubble, but you really need to rethink how you see the words "Free to Play".
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited May 2013
    You know, I found your initial statement amusing, but now you're commenting on login-priority? Let's go over this carefully. Free. To. Play. That means everyone can play it. Which means every customer, even those who play for free, have the same priority, and are worth the same to Cryptic. Sorry to burst your entitled bubble, but you really need to rethink how you see the words "Free to Play".

Please keep it clean do not tell anyone what he/she has to do. Maybe you could try to argue?

"Is STO worth the hassle anymore?" I think this question is motivated by the issue that you have to wait more than 1 hour to log in if you are not a goldmember or lifetimer. Anything else would be pointless, because the patch is great and more than worth to play and the devs are working on the lags.

Honestly, you are right, every customer may play the game for free. Where is the problem? Everybody can? I pay for loggin in faster than others who dont pay for it. Is it unfair? There are repeatedly big lags since the game is free to play. I do not pay for that but got it for free from all the players included those who do not want to pay for the game. The login-queue is for keeping them and the lags as small as possible. I wrote "them" because thats economy. There are also many ships and items for free. I pay for ships and items just as you can. A game in this order must be economically or will not survive long. I have recognized this and all I can do for keeping it alive is spend some money on it. I've never read that a free player thanked that but always read the whining threads. I love the game, so I pay for it. Nobody thanks that but it's my hard-earned money, so I expect a high quality. Cryptics works on it.
    Jif [tactician]

• sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I had answered two days ago, I'd still say yes, just accepting the reality of an ugly bug rattling with its bones, that would soon disappear.

Now, on its third morning, my answer is no.

Fine. -'looking into it, investigating that some players 'MIGHT' (!?) have a issue on getting into the game.

I guess it is time to optimize some of that code, at last, eyh?
    I do believe it is the first time in my history that I experience a game breaking bug, that won't even let me enter the game anymore. Much less that it is now on its third day without resolution.

The devs are working on it. Great! Respect for that. -Beyond that? Pfhh. I am not impressed.
    STO is great if/when it Works. Maybe You Guys should consider switching the Tribble and Holodeck-setup? Tribble is stable as hell compared to Holodeck. Just saying.
    /Floozy
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kind of surprised the "worth it" vote is not winning, the more you play something the more loyal you tend to be to it because you are more and more invested.

You also have to consider, that a large portion of the people roaming and posting in mmo forums are usually those that are angry and feel the need to complain, gripe or whine. So you're bound to get more negative answers. The people that think it's worth it are ingame and enjoying the new content.
  • cougar622cougar622 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say it is well worth it. Not to many games have the content that STO has, not to mention if your biggest complaint is that you have to wait a few to play because there servers got bogged down a little then I would say your doing pretty good overall. Its a great game with great content and lots of action and fun. If your not having fun then quit playing and go to your other game. I will be here having fun.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm asking myself the same question.

Cryptic's an incredibly two-faced company. The content side, the graphics side, they are doing a great job.

On the technical end, on the QA end, the company is an absolute disaster. And I've had about enough. Without even the slightest level of stability all the content in the world isn't worth squat.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, tsurutafan01. I and many others have been locked out since LoR launched! That's 70.5 hours of no game-access. And the devs blow us off. The few of us who can somehow manage to send a support ticket have their tickets marked as fixed without resolution of the problem.

If I read Brandon post the words "patience" or "cheers" one more time while he's ignoring our pleas for help, I'm going to go very, very Klingon on him!
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, I never take it out on Brandon. He's the guy who has to live the old adage "Don't shoot the messenger". Customer service jobs are generally TRIBBLE, but I imagine his is worst than most.

His job is basically to take abuse so the people actually responsible don't have to. (Which in a sense is good because if Cryptic's other staff were wasting their days on the forum that would be... kind of frightening.)

The last month has kind of exposed there's a serious need for either better staff, or increased levels of staff on the Quality Assurance end of the company though. It's a pretty unavoidable conclusion.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got to say it again...agreed, tsurutafan01! Brandon has always been a great guy -- I stand corrected.

You need extra diplomatic points for that one! :-)
  • mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I still play it because its trek. I wouldn't, or couldn't tell anyone else that I think its a good game tho, because if this was a space game and was called Stork online I would be done with it in a day with the way it is now. More so the way it is run now, not even the actual game. If you are really a star trek fan, and you wanted to play for free, and don't mind three year old bugs and downtime numerous times each week, sometimes each day I'd say go ahead and keep playing. I'll keep playing, I just won't spend anything anymore.

Rift is going free to play soon, I'll prob go back to that when it happens anyways, and play this when I have extra time.
  • tvlartvlar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its the best version of the Trek Universe we have.
    If its not ideal, at least take heart in that the Cryptic team appears to be moving forward as quickly and as best they are able. I don't see that they are shrugging off problems, only that they might not be able to fix "The Problem of the Day" right this second, or that solutions might be impossible in the existing code.
    I think they recognize that the game is a business, and are acting accordingly. Maintaining a customer base totally 100% happy is difficult. Communicating what they ARE doing might not be wise, as it leads to possibly false expectations. We have no idea how many solutions to problems were attempted, and may have failed for one reason or another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the game is a hassle to play, don't bother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have to say NO, it isn't worth it. I'm an oldschool lifer and my account isn't worthy of game access. In all reality, this game is NOT run as well as one would hope. The fact that they have intentionally limited the access to the LoR stuff scream pay-2-win and grind for gear like drones. They have had issues with previous big patches, but not quite on this scale. I'm not a paying customer anymore in their eyes, therefore I can't play anymore. GOD FORBID they treat us all as equals. Some people get into the game, the rest of us have to buy something (or create a transaction history) to get in. All I want to do is log in and check on my DOffs. I'm not even ready to start LoR yet. Not that it matters. The Rummies are their main selling point, and you can't play if you aren't funneling money into the corperation. Good luck playing...assuming you can actually get in. Here's hoping your account isn't tagged as a non-paying player (noticed I didn't say "customer?" that would be too much of a compliment for us).
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • classic25classic25 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a person who only has two characters with my main currently stuck in a LOADING SCREEN for the past 5 days with no apparent hope of being able to play in what few days a week i have off, the answer would be a hell no. I just want my money back before i dump this game.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, I vote for worth it. I am certainly not happy about the attachment limit that snuck in with LoR, but that just saved me the $199.99 for a LTS and a bit of Zen for extra character slots. Otherwise, the game itself is decent enough, and we did just get a nice chunk of new episodes to play.

For what I've put into the game, I feel that I've gotten enough to keep me occupied. I will happily contribute more when they manage to restrict themselves to behavior I feel like rewarding ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​