test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is STO worth the hassle anymore?

corporalmaccorporalmac Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Federation Discussion
I'm curious whether or not the general consensus is to move on to the next game or stick it out with STO. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed the game since I started playing. On the flip side I have put a lot of money into it and time which makes these large amounts of lost time all the more frustrating. Most games have hiccups, the quantity and severity of the hiccups really dictates how tolerable they are. Over the past three weeks we have had three major hiccups that have put the game out of reach for it's players for 5 hours or longer. So, the question is does this latest hiccup finally push you to another game or are you too invested or too big of a fan to throw in the towel? Secondary question if you are through with STO what MMO would you be leaving for?
Post edited by corporalmac on

Comments

• Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, STO is worth the hassle and you would have to be a fool not to see that. The current hiccup is due to the thousands of people who want to play this new expansion. Every new game or big expansion release is accompanied by the kind of server overload we're seeing today. Tough it out and enjoy the game in a couple of hours when the majority of the Yanks have gone to bed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What if you're a yank? So 1-0 for "worth the hassle".
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, STO is worth the hassle and you would have to be a fool not to see that. The current hiccup is due to the thousands of people who want to play this new expansion. Every new game or big expansion release is accompanied by the kind of server overload we're seeing today. Tough it out and enjoy the game in a couple of hours when the majority of the Yanks have gone to bed.

yup great way to run your company and form sound sof it this is common then......
    NOT a good sign. just think ive spent 3 times what subscribers paid for life time and yet im havent been able to technically play now since the patch....and if i do get in sec i do anything i get disconnected so is a queue THIS large a sign they have stupid management or what....
    YOU SHOULD AS A BUSINESS ANTICIPATE THIS extra NEED but as im told they put everyone on one server and add two of there other games....
    its funny i was able to get in to tribble and move about but that's so fun i can just hurl.

UP till now i was a bit nice about it knowing ya you get reporters and reviewers and ya peeps that never play ......BUT a 20000 or 21000 queuje when every 10 minutes i get like 50 lower..go do that math son it will be days before i get in and IVE PAID MONEY FOR THIS?

this same TRIBBLE happened on the test tribble and i gave up beta testing for them...now this is 5 times worse literally....

in fact when ya minimize your online thing i guess it stops you moving up the queue for good too, been at 980 out of 4300 , now 980 out of 7600 WOOT GO GO GO queue size while i get no where.

i fell like saying it , i want my money back
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO is just another game to me.
    A very good game (for F2P).
    And that is all.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    2-1 worth it so far.
  • Options
    privatenormyprivatenormy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    simple math lifetime is on sale for 199 and the que for anyone to get in the server is at last check is 5006 out of 6000 and change= money not well spent. why would anyone buy lifetime subscribe or even wait in a que for free 2 play. its simply not worth the time. if u add up all of the people who are in the que decided to buy a thousand zen that's 50k, and that's not even counting what they make every month in subcriptions. They had plenty of money and time to keep this from happening and like most game companies they don't seem to want to plan ahead to ensure there customers are happy. to answer the question at hand I may try again in two weeks and see if its better, hopefully it will be.
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    simple math lifetime is on sale for 199 and the que for anyone to get in the server is at last check is 5006 out of 6000 and change= money not well spent. why would anyone buy lifetime subscribe or even wait in a que for free 2 play. its simply not worth the time. if u add up all of the people who are in the que decided to buy a thousand zen that's 50k, and that's not even counting what they make every month in subcriptions. They had plenty of money and time to keep this from happening and like most game companies they don't seem to want to plan ahead to ensure there customers are happy. to answer the question at hand I may try again in two weeks and see if its better, hopefully it will be.

i call bull**** on you
    it changes every time ya try to load up
    right before that i was 20000 of 21000
    i quit tried again was 5300 of 5500
    it lowered at about 50 per ten minutes till it got to 980 and then that 5300 number just kept going up and up and when it got to 7600 with no change after a hour i say TRIBBLE THIS ****

and like i said ive spent 3 times as much as a lifer and had planed on a lot even bought into this foundry to get into that .....ya know TRIBBLE it...i do not play a game ot get stress , its to be fun or i dont play it.

ask yourself this, are we having fun yet?
    funny only way i get into the game is tribble OH thats so fun ....NOT
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a few chaotic days every time a new season is launched, and some server crashes... So yes, for me STO still worth it
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    philfixitphilfixit Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to say this but .i did get on line last night it is looking a lot better.but i was very tired when i got in as the cues were stupido.i have woken up and i just wonted to get on line to see if my selling spree had done me some good. like i do most mornings and im 980 out of 980.

this is stupid,and annoying. can i have the money back that that i have spent on this game back please.also the zen can i have back as money.which is still in my account.

As i dont beleieve you guys do not have the no how to resolve these problems. all your gonna do is wait till people get board as you wont put in extra band width and extra memory which you deinfinatly require on yoru servers.coss you spent too much on development.Oh

just a thought sack the manergers that are in charge for all the outagies in the last 2 months as well.

Lord monty
  • Options
    philfixitphilfixit Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oh and you cant even get my joining date right either thats sucks

Lord Monty
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Three years plus and I'm still here...

Believe me, todays hiccup is nothing compared to some of the stuff that has happened around here in the past...

Totally worth the LTS I acquired back in Feb '11 and still worth every penny I've spent since then.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nothing changes, the game has been getting progressively worse since F2P, not better. I quit a long time ago, I come back every now and again to see if they've changed. The answer is they never change. Greed is their primary motivator and I don't mean in a typical self sustaining way. Now they even monetized the trait system. No wonder why they kept delaying it, they wanted to slap an even bigger $$$ to it than just respec.

Now I can't even look at the game without my eyes bleeding from "useless textures" being stripped from the base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The voting stands at:
    Not worth it - 5
    Worth It - 3

Kind of surprised the "worth it" vote is not winning, the more you play something the more loyal you tend to be to it because you are more and more invested.

THIS JUST IN:
    Shard coming down for maintenance again. That's gonna hurt the vote.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Worth the hassle? I dunno. Do I complain sometimes? Yes, mea culpa. Five minutes after I hit the 'Send' button, I am over myself. Toting all that baggage around everywhere gets to be tiresome. Does the game have problems? Yes. Do they get fixed? Yes. Would I like them fixed faster? Yes. I suppose this attitude makes me like the majority of players. I am willing to put up with errors and glitches and hiccups or whatever we're calling them to a point. Because I can remind myself STO is only a game. Not a lifestyle choice. It is not the only way I can get my daily Star Trek fix. I have Netflix and a currently unused computer with WinXP on it. That computer has Bridge Commander and Armada and SFC III installed. However, STO is currently my addiction of choice.

It has been impossible to login and play since I got home from work and I was really looking forward to enjoying some of the new content for an hour or two. I suspected things such as are going on right now would happen. I am willing to reduce my game time to compensate for the fact they would occur. But the longer and more frequently they occur means some other MMO has acquired the ability to capture my interest and attention and ultimately, my coin, longer and more frequently.

It has been worth the hassle so far. I am hoping it continues to be worth the hassle.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    philfixit wrote: »
    As i dont beleieve you guys do not have the no how to resolve these problems.
    Oh come on... they apparently do not have the know-how to make the over-the-shoulder cam option persistent, and save/load it from a config file, so instead, they just remove the thing and force everyone to use an over-the-shoulder view, that you can't even scroll-wheel in to first-person-view with.

Why is it so hard to believe they can't resolve the other problems?

(sorry devs, but for the life of me I can't understand how you guys ever thought that was a good idea... I won't be doing any ground action in the future because of it, and it was also enough to change my mind, against buying a lifetime subscription while it is on sale)

-- Smoov
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kinda like STO, but then again I am a very casual player. It gives me my Star Trek fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not long ago, something like 2 months, it would have been i very clear "YES", but then it started going down rapidly. Right now i am at the point where i just want to play the new content and then probably be done with it. The way how this update went and all the negative things that come with it (anybody noticed the mail attachment limit, yet?), not to mention all the reported bugs on tribble that have NOT been fixed, makes that a clear NO. I am not even sure i will even bother to look at that new content.

So make this a clear "NO" vote now. PWE is pure greed now.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know what this hassle you people speak of is, it seems to be more mental than reality based. With that said, whether there is a hassle thing or not, I love this game, will play it forever(or until the servers shut down for good) along with a few other MMO's I love.

So I guess that's a "worth it" vote.
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to spend a bit more $$$ on infrastructure, like double! They claim a gazillion users promoting the game yet when only thousands of idle players who have been away come back and play at the same time as regular players, its H*LL!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    spaciumindagatorspaciumindagator Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, the people who usually complains hangs out in forums. Statistics don't lie.

Although, not everyone complains, but the majority uses forums to vent.
  • Options
    kaltoh9kaltoh9 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My gameplay availability relies on a quick login and the ability to get some significant progress done in-game in a shorter amount of time than this queue overload is allowing.

The queue has removed my opportunity to play STO, almost completely. It's close to unplayable now. I'm hoping the queue is gone very soon, or I may lose interest in paying for STO anymore. I'm sure others are in the same boat.

Good luck PWE/Cryptic.
  • Options
    gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is the same situation when a prime time television show hits a snag, for instance, and the screen freezes or blanks out. Nobody in their right mind is going to sit there for an indeterminate period of time if it doesn't get fixed in a few seconds before they start changing channels.

No one has mentioned which MMO they switch to when they are slipped into a phenomenal queue slot. If I am looking at longer than about a minute to get in, I switch over to Star Wars: The Old Republic. With the problems that STO seems to be having lately, I seem to be spending more time over on TOR than on STO.

Learn from Nielsen and keep your customers from "switching channels," Cryptic/PWE.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You too ?
    MWO isn't bad either, but I'm considering a trial stint in EvE.
    :cool:

I can't really post a real opinion on STO because it's been broken on my PC for too long, and the banhammer moves too quickly and is too stealthy on this site.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious whether or not the general consensus is to move on to the next game or stick it out with STO. I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed the game since I started playing. On the flip side I have put a lot of money into it and time which makes these large amounts of lost time all the more frustrating. Most games have hiccups, the quantity and severity of the hiccups really dictates how tolerable they are. Over the past three weeks we have had three major hiccups that have put the game out of reach for it's players for 5 hours or longer. So, the question is does this latest hiccup finally push you to another game or are you too invested or too big of a fan to throw in the towel? Secondary question if you are through with STO what MMO would you be leaving for?

YOu will never find an MMO that doesn't have this 'hiccups' when they release major content expansions (Both EVE Online <-- after 10 years; and WoW <--- After 8 years, both still have periods of major outages and also major issues for days/sometimes weeks whenever they release a major update or expansion.) <-- And I cite these two aMMOs as examples as EVE is also a space based and very long running MMO; and WoW is still the most subscribed to MMO - with one of the largest Dev teams, server bases, and money coming in -- yet, it still sees major issues when they release a new Expansion.

LoR hasn't even been Live 24 hours - but Cryptic is making headway, has solved some new issues they (and the playtesters, of which I was one) didn't see on Tribble; and while there are still more issues (some quite large) to be resolved; they appear to be working on them and (like every other MMO I've played starting with Ever Quest in 1999) I'm sure the majority will have been resolved by next week.

In the end, the decision to stick with a game or leave is a personal one, and generally, if I find I'm not enjoying a game any longer, I move on. However, if you still see potential in the game, and see things you believe you'll enjoy that you haven;'t done yet, I think it's worth it to hang around. back in the EQ days, there were times the game was down more than it was up; and even server crashes caused major Guild/database, and other issues that took weeks to resolve. For people who believe the stability of MMOs haven't improved over the last decade - you either didn't play in the early days; or you blocked out some of the more egregious incidents (there were times EQ servers were down for entire weekends; and even after they were restore an announcement was made that they hadn to perform a 72 hour data rollback.)

Issues with new content suck (especially when the content looks interesting and you really just want to play it; but overall, in the end, the issues will get fixed and as you spend time in game over the coming weeks (maybe even months, or years); you'll look back and comment to new players something like,

"Yeah, LoR had some major issues for the first few days of release; but once they got it stable, it turned out pretty good...'

But, if it's really frustrating for you; there's no harm in taking a break and returning if you feel like it once its reported the majority of issues have been resolved. But, if you're looking for a 'no issues, 100% uptime, fun and constantly expanding MMO" <--- Such a thing has never existed.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is STO worth the hassle anymore?

No. No it's not.

Mail me your stuff on the way out.
    quit a long time ago, I come back every now and again to see if they've changed. The answer is they never change. Greed is their primary motivator and I don't mean in a typical self sustaining way.

You too.
    <3
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Is STO worth the hassle anymore?" Given that I and several other players are currently locked-out from launching the game, due to a patch error that the developers claim is "resolved" (yet it is not), I'd have to say that Cryptic/STO thinks the answer is no. Who am I to disagree? (Sarcasm)

I'm a frustrated gold member who is seriously considering moving on. And not to another MMO. Books, education, physical training, and friendships don't have patch errors, lag issues, and server disconnects. And I hate the STO fleet & reputation grinds because it's not like a game, it's like a job! So if I'm going to do a job, I'm going to do it in real-life for a real paycheck! (I'm currently employed full-time but seek a better job.)
  • Options
    privatenormyprivatenormy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A thought for the devs for any future expansions, load test them the way a lot of games do release it to the gold members first a week or two in advance. I'm not talking a beta but the actual game what is actually released to the masses. Doing this will catch any bugs for example a 20000 person que, or failing that if the que is what some think it is (a way to limit the amount of players while u fix everything) SAY SO its programming we all know its never perfect the first time around. I myself am free 2 play though I have bought my fair share of zen. If I hear that for the first week or two after a expansion is coming out its only open to subscribers and lifers I would just come back in two weeks and avoid the frustration of seeing a 20000 que. just thought
  • Options
    captainbozbaccacaptainbozbacca Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just find it weird they didn't think of the increase in players. They could have even RENTED servers for a few days to help with the stress (as naturally concurrent users will go down after a little bit.) But it shows this game isn't dead which in a strange way impresses me
  • Options
    penclrtistpenclrtist Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the queues don't die down I will leave for sure. Trying to level reputation with 1 hr events and a 20min queue change between characters just ain't gonna cut it. More and F2P games are coming out everyday. I'd much rather throw my money at a company like Wargaming.net anyway. Sadly they don't have any space games but there are no queues, they have stellar customer support, and game is >95% bug free.
    Maybe time to give Star Conflict a spin around the block...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No one has mentioned which MMO they switch to

Good point, a few have mentioned it since your post but I'd like to see more.

Worth it - 9
    Not worth it - 6