test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Buff Torpedo Damage Vs Shields

freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
My ship is utilizing the Ferenghi console, 5x purple mk XII quantum torpedo consoles, and the 2 pc Adapted MACO set bonus.

My torps are listed to be doing ~8300 damage.

I fire them against shields and do about 300 damage.

That means my torpedoes are doing ~3-4% of their total damage.

wtf?

I belive that the logic is that torpedoes should be best vs hull and energy weapons are better vs shields.

But, wait, cannons are energy based weapons that are the king of dropping shields and taking out hull. Buffed cannon damage puts torpedoes to shame by several orders of magnitude.

Why does my very slow firing weapon get out damaged by a very fast spamming weapon? The logic is broken and thus so are the mechanics for torpedo damage.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't mind a torpedo buff, but then 90% of my ships use torpedos.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have every torpedo damage buff that I can think of and only do 300 damage every 2-3 seconds if I get lucky procs, to shields.

Does any one think that this is fair?
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use energy weapons to knock shields out then hit hull with torps... its simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's why torpedoes are best against bare hull.
    Or switch to transphasics for the shield pass through.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have every torpedo damage buff that I can think of and only do 300 damage every 2-3 seconds if I get lucky procs, to shields.

Does any one think that this is fair?

Fair? Absolutely. Torpedoes are shot for shot one of (if not the most) powerful weapons available in-game. A carefully built torpedo boat can potentially put out 6 figure plus hits every second. The only thing keeping that kind of destructive power from overwhelming everything is the kinetic shield absorption.

Could that ratio stand to be tweaked a smidge? Perhaps. Does it need to be on-par with the NPC torpedo shield killing? Not a chance. Players don't need to be able to do the invisi-torp of doom routine.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edit: I updated my thoughts on this in post #28 I think it is...yep, #28. I was following some information for this post that I no longer agree with after some additional testing - thus, the updated thoughts later.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    all shields start out with a base of 75% knetic resistance, and it doesn't cap there. highly buffed shield res results in mid 90% range of kinetic resist. its stupid as hell. BO doesn't have to deal with that TRIBBLE, that 75% built in res needs to go.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    all shields start out with a base of 75% resistance, and it doesn't cap there. highly buffed shield res results in mid 90% range of kinetic resist. its stupid as hell. BO doesn't have to deal with that TRIBBLE, that 75% built in res needs to go.

You beat me to the explanation, thank you.

I did not make up the 300 damage number, I witnessed it. So, given the 300 damage number, now do your math, virusdancer. Not much damage, is it? Especially considering the fact that I have very possible Torpedo buff that there is that I can think of, the damage is ridiculously low.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Fair? Absolutely. Torpedoes are shot for shot one of (if not the most) powerful weapons available in-game. A carefully built torpedo boat can potentially put out 6 figure plus hits every second. The only thing keeping that kind of destructive power from overwhelming everything is the kinetic shield absorption.

Could that ratio stand to be tweaked a smidge? Perhaps. Does it need to be on-par with the NPC torpedo shield killing? Not a chance. Players don't need to be able to do the invisi-torp of doom routine.

With every buff that I have available as a tac captain + my console damage buffs, there is no way that my quantum torpedoes are going to do 6 digit numbers consistently as you have asserted. I don't think that I can hit 6 digits with quantums, perhaps with blowing GDF.

With Trico it is possible.

IMO you made up this 6 digit damage every second scenario, whereas my experience and observation lends me to believe that torpedo damage needs to be un-nerfed.

I also didn't mention the fact that often my torpedoes just miss, which makes this slow firing weapon system even less attractive, though it is my favorite.

This weapon system, imo, also requires 3x DOFF slots in order to work properly. That is a pretty big commitment for such little payoff.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    all shields start out with a base of 75% resistance, and it doesn't cap there. highly buffed shield res results in mid 90% range of kinetic resist. its stupid as hell. BO doesn't have to deal with that TRIBBLE, that 75% built in res needs to go.

Is there a source for that?

Because like I posted, even if you take off that 75% initially for the kinetic resist and then apply the shield cap to the remaining damage...you're still not going to get the OP's numbers.

That's with a 3-step process:
    1) Remove bleedthrough.
    2) Apply shield kinetic reduction/absorption.
    3) Apply shield damage reduction.

8300 - 830 = 7470
    7470 * 0.25 = 1867.5
    1867.5 * X = 300
    X = 83.9%

So something with a cap of 75% would have to be applying 83.9% additional damage reduction after the 75% initial kinetic reduction.

To get to the 96% damage reduction the OP was seeing with a 2-step process, shields would have to have an additional 128% damage reduction against kinetic after the 75% against kinetic. (1.28 * 0.75 to get 0.96).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Are there any threads out there from where folks have done testing against buffed/non-buffed targets where they've incremented their consoles?

I'm wondering how hard those torps are hitting against non-cappped shield folks.

Whether the issue is actually originating when they hit or if the problem is when they're launched...as in, they're not actually doing the damage they're supposed to be doing - so the damage against the buffed target is far smaller than one would expect.

When it comes to torps, I don't run Quants. I run Trans and Plasma. Even with the Plasma which are going to have reduced damage because of the addition of the DoT damage, I haven't seen numbers that low. Yeah, they're crappy numbers...but nothing like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Are there any threads out there from where folks have done testing against buffed/non-buffed targets where they've incremented their consoles?

I'm wondering how hard those torps are hitting against non-cappped shield folks.

Whether the issue is actually originating when they hit or if the problem is when they're launched...as in, they're not actually doing the damage they're supposed to be doing - so the damage against the buffed target is far smaller than one would expect.

When it comes to torps, I don't run Quants. I run Trans and Plasma. Even with the Plasma which are going to have reduced damage because of the addition of the DoT damage, I haven't seen numbers that low. Yeah, they're crappy numbers...but nothing like that.

In PvE it's not so bad, but against buffed shields, yes I was doing 300-500 damage per torp. I saw it with my own eyes...

I only use quantums and I don't expect them to be one shot kills by any means, but seriously, the damage that they do against shields is pitiful. If this were real life, no one would produce quantum torpedoes, they would not even have been considered a viable weapon system.

With all of my buffs running I can break 1k damage to shields per torp.... How much do cannons do again? Then, after the cannons break shields, they do how much to hull? Does hull get an automatic 75% resistance to energy damage? Hmm... not balanced there according to my perceived logic of the gameplay mechanics, (torps vs hull and energy vs shields.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is there a source for that?

Because like I posted, even if you take off that 75% initially for the kinetic resist and then apply the shield cap to the remaining damage...you're still not going to get the OP's numbers.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7730751&postcount=487

you can see it for your self with this. use it on npcs, and you will see their shield res based of a shield energy level of 50. the npcs will have at least 75% knetic res.

ive seen it display kinetic shield res in the 90s, on ships with 65-75% res on all the energy levels. with how shield res works, all the sources of res multiply against each other, and for kinetic, you always have .75 to multiply against too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7730751&postcount=487

you can see it for your self with this. use it on npcs, and you will see their shield res based of a shield energy level of 50. the npcs will have at least 75% knetic res.

ive seen it display kinetic shield res in the 90s, on ships with 65-75% res on all the energy levels. with how shield res works, all the sources of res multiply against each other, and for kinetic, you always have .75 to multiply against too.

God hates torp lovers?
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this not how shields are suppossed to resist kinetic damage as the technology that keeps those particles in space from ripping through a vessel while in flight?

I dont see the issue.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Is this not how shields are suppossed to resist kinetic damage as the technology that keeps those particles in space from ripping through a vessel while in flight?

I dont see the issue.

Actually, that's what the deflector dish does. Ships don't waste power on shields just to travel through space.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I dont see the issue.

Yes, I thought so too, but then what of the gameplay balance vs cannons? If torps are supposed to be best vs hull, and cannons are supposed to be best vs shields and torpedoes are extremely weak vs shields and cannons are as good or better than torpedoes vs hull... => Torpedoes are then obviously inferior since cannons are better at taking down targets all together.

This, along with wanting to min/max, are the reasons that many players go for full cannon builds. A full Torpedo build is not nearly as viable, why is that?

When a weapon system begins with an inherent 75% reduction in damage, it becomes quite unattractive.

Perhaps there are some suggestions to improve torpedoes...

Decrease the initial damage reduction that shields provide.

Remove the damage reduction provided by shields and decrease overall torpedo damage to an acceptable level.

Increase the rate of fire of torpedoes.

IDK, it's my opinion that they could be buffed vs shields.
  • Options
    bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 for buffing torps :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see no issue or need to make shields less resistant to torpedoes or to buff torpedo damage at all.
    Torpedoes do excellent damage to bare hull after the shields have been lowered by energy weapon attacks imo.

The only correction that should be made is that shields should protect against torpedoes based on thier strength at the time of the attack.
    A sliver of shields barely in place should not offer full resistance to an attack.

On a side not I was under the impression that combat shields where a spinoff of the deflector technologiy that protects a ship while in space from high velocity impacts.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skurf wrote: »
    Actually, that's what the deflector dish does. Ships don't waste power on shields just to travel through space.

Memory Alpha states they are one and the same.

R.I.P
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same feeling for a long time, but i actually now think that timed torps actually work pretty good as they are.

The problem is the high investment skill tree wise its not viable in PvP IMO unless you run a full hit'n run boat.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see no issue or need to make shields less resistant to torpedoes or to buff torpedo damage at all.
    Torpedoes do excellent damage to bare hull after the shields have been lowered by energy weapon attacks imo.

The only correction that should be made is that shields should protect against torpedoes based on thier strength at the time of the attack.
    A sliver of shields barely in place should not offer full resistance to an attack.

On a side not I was under the impression that combat shields where a spinoff of the deflector technologiy that protects a ship while in space from high velocity impacts.

That is an interseting suggestion.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Memory Alpha states they are one and the same.

Then how does the first Enterprise (from the show Star Trek: Enterprise) fly at warp without a shield? If it was one-in-the-same you'd think they would use it for defensive purposes as well, but the only defense they had at the time was polarize hull.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then how does the first Enterprise (from the show Star Trek: Enterprise) fly at warp without a shield? If it was one-in-the-same you'd think they would use it for defensive purposes as well, but the only defense they had at the time was polarize hull.

Because the NX-class has a navigational deflector. You don't need both, you need one or the other.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I would think because the technology at the time was good enough for travel bit not combat.
    Memory alpha though states the shields is the slang for deflector shields and such is used in combat as well as protection when traveling.

This aspect of the technology is why I never thought the idea of shields being defense against torps as wrong.
    Still dont. As such shielding is designed to mitigate high kinetic impact as well as other energy types.
    I do dislike that shield strength is not a part of the equation though.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I had the same feeling for a long time, but i actually now think that timed torps actually work pretty good as they are.

The problem is the high investment skill tree wise its not viable in PvP IMO unless you run a full hit'n run boat.

simply because im RPing, or feel torps should be used on principle, for quite a wile i have been using 3 cannon 1 torp builds and have gotten quite a few great kills. but theres just no comparison to the effectiveness you get from BO instead. BO has synergy with your energy weapon tac consoles, torps dont. you have to choose between knetic or energy damage consoles, you need that energy damage to even get you exposed hull. not to mention the extra skill points on the skill tree you need to distribute. its inappropriate to have so many down sides, AND that built in 75% res.

in a game full of proc heals, regeneration, TT, and manual shield distribution, it's a miracle if a torp hits hull. the dynamic of them only really hurting hull does not work in a game were there is so many ways to fix a shield hole. and its not something BO has to deal with, its not like hull has a base 75% res to energy damage.

just remove the built in 75%, shields will still have the same knetic resist levels they have for energy weapons. cruisers could, instead of running 8 beam arrays in an attempt to deal damage, run a 'stock' setup, and spam photon torpedoes instead for more effective damage. a HY of torps should be a scare thing, as scary as a BO, no mater the situation. torps are stranded canon equipment, its shocking they made them so undesirable in a star trek game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This is from a quick trip to Ker'rat...
    TIME ATTACKER ATTACKTYPE DAMAGETYPE VICTIM DAMAGE CRITICAL SPECIAL
    2:19:21 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Alpha 570 False None
    2:19:21 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Alpha 113 False None

2:19:22 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Alpha 541 False None
    2:19:22 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Alpha 106 False None

2:19:44 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 268 False None
    2:19:44 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 89 False None

2:20:00 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 379 False None
    2:20:00 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 76 False None

2:20:02 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 655 False None
    2:20:02 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 131 True None

2:20:37 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Svensonn 190 False None
    2:20:37 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Svensonn 166 False None

2:20:56 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Jack Tower Miss False None

2:20:56 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Jack Tower Miss False None

2:21:06 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 361 False None
    2:21:06 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 127 False None

2:21:08 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 361 False None
    2:21:08 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 127 False None

2:21:09 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 383 False None
    2:21:09 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 135 False None

2:21:19 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 952 False None
    2:21:19 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 206 True None

2:21:19 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 463 False None
    2:21:19 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 100 False None

2:21:30 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 527 False None
    2:21:30 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 119 False None

2:21:32 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 552 False None
    2:21:32 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 112 False None

2:21:33 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 504 False None
    2:21:33 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 186 False None

2:21:34 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 515 False None
    2:21:34 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 191 False None

2:21:44 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower No Damage False None

2:22:00 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 347 False None
    2:22:00 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 166 False None

2:22:02 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Jack Tower 499 False None
    2:22:02 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Jack Tower 186 False None

2:22:07 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Svensonn 291 False None
    2:22:07 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Svensonn 126 False None

2:22:09 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Svensonn 323 False None
    2:22:09 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Svensonn 138 False None

2:22:18 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Svensonn 388 False None
    2:22:18 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Svensonn 139 False None

2:22:53 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Thala 445 False None
    2:22:53 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Thala 220 False None

2:22:54 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Thala 460 False None
    2:22:54 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Thala 227 False None

2:23:28 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 333 False None
    2:23:28 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 56 False None

2:23:57 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield Eleven 445 False None
    2:23:57 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic Eleven 91 False None

2:24:17 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 378 False None
    2:24:17 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 59 False None

2:24:20 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 292 False None
    2:24:20 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 55 False None

2:24:21 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 292 False None
    2:24:21 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 55 False None

2:24:23 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 338 False None
    2:24:23 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 64 False None

2:24:24 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Shield CookedAnderson 296 False None
    2:24:24 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo Kinetic CookedAnderson 56 False None

2:24:26 PM Prophet Plasma Torpedo CookedAnderson Miss False None

These are the raw numbers...
    13:05:20:14:19:21.9::Prophet -570 -2156 Shield
    13:05:20:14:19:21.9::Prophet 113 2873 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:19:22.9::Prophet -541 -2012 Shield
    13:05:20:14:19:22.9::Prophet 106 2682 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:19:44.8::Prophet -268 -1687 Shield
    13:05:20:14:19:44.8::Prophet 89 2362 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:20:00.4::Prophet -379 -1440 Shield
    13:05:20:14:20:00.4::Prophet 76 2697 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:20:02.2::Prophet -655 -2487 Shield
    13:05:20:14:20:02.2::Prophet 131 4656 Kinetic Critical

13:05:20:14:20:37.2::Prophet -190 -1498 Shield
    13:05:20:14:20:37.2::Prophet 166 2879 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:20:56.2::Prophet 0 0 Miss

13:05:20:14:21:06.5::Prophet -361 -1142 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:06.5::Prophet 127 2337 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:08.0::Prophet -361 -1142 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:08.0::Prophet 127 2337 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:09.5::Prophet -383 -1212 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:09.5::Prophet 135 2481 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:19.2::Prophet -952 -1851 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:19.2::Prophet 206 4933 Kinetic Critical

13:05:20:14:21:19.6::Prophet -463 -899 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:19.6::Prophet 100 2396 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:30.4::Prophet -527 -1070 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:30.4::Prophet 119 2731 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:32.6::Prophet -552 -1004 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:32.6::Prophet 112 2859 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:33.7::Prophet -504 -1678 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:33.7::Prophet 186 2610 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:34.4::Prophet -515 -1716 Shield
    13:05:20:14:21:34.4::Prophet 191 2668 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:21:44.1::Prophet 0 2447 Kinetic Immune

13:05:20:14:22:00.0::Prophet -347 -1491 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:00.0::Prophet 166 2302 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:02.2::Prophet -499 -1676 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:02.2::Prophet 186 2587 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:07.0::Prophet -291 -1130 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:07.0::Prophet 126 2335 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:09.7::Prophet -323 -1242 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:09.7::Prophet 138 2566 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:18.2::Prophet -388 -1255 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:18.2::Prophet 139 2412 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:53.6::Prophet -445 -1978 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:53.6::Prophet 220 2459 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:22:54.6::Prophet -460 -2045 Shield
    13:05:20:14:22:54.6::Prophet 227 2542 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:23:28.7::Prophet -333 -1058 Shield
    13:05:20:14:23:28.7::Prophet 56 2331 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:23:57.1::Prophet -445 -1723 Shield
    13:05:20:14:23:57.1::Prophet 91 2336 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:17.2::Prophet -378 -1112 Shield
    13:05:20:14:24:17.2::Prophet 59 2431 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:20.2::Prophet -292 -1054 Shield
    13:05:20:14:24:20.2::Prophet 55 2304 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:21.7::Prophet -292 -1054 Shield
    13:05:20:14:24:21.7::Prophet 55 2305 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:23.1::Prophet -338 -1222 Shield
    13:05:20:14:24:23.1::Prophet 64 2674 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:24.5::Prophet -296 -1069 Shield
    13:05:20:14:24:24.5::Prophet 56 2338 Kinetic

13:05:20:14:24:26.0::Prophet 0 0 Miss

The torp ferreted out was an Omega Torp. The following are the tooltip numbers for it:

Base - 2473.8
    /w TT1 - 2521.6
    /w APO1 - 2721.2
    /w TT1 & APO1 - 2773.7

Okay then...so looking at the raw numbers up there, we'd expect to see X (Y) as the numbers, right? When looking at the combatlog in game, k?

So let's look at some percentages, eh?

Shield X vs. Shield Y, shows a damage reduction of 45-77.5%. There was a single hit at 87.3% and a single hit at 84.1%. 5 of the 28 were above 75%.
    Kinetic X vs. Kinetic Y, shows a damage reduction of 91.1-97.6%.
    Shield Y vs. Kinetic Y, shows a damage reduction of 25-64.9%.
    Shield X vs. Kinetic Y, shows a damage reduction of 79.8-87.5%. Matching those hits from above, there was a single 93.4% and 88.7%.
    Kinetic Y is variable.
    The numbers from the tooltip are not reflected.
    The numbers from the tooltip are not reflected * 0.9 either.
    Although Kinetic Y is variable (as is Shield Y), the ratio between them is consistent enough to be able to identify the targets.
    The same goes for the various ratios in general.

If the Shield Damage is equal to Tooltip Damage * 0.9 * 0.25 * 0.25 ("capped shield"), then the expected damage reduction would be ~94.4%.

For a hit of ~300 then, the Tooltip Damage would have been ~5300 and not ~8300. ~8300 would have resulted in a hit of ~467 or so. Still low and almost nitpicking, but hey - if we're going to argue with the devs, let's try to give them good numbers, eh?

A low number when you consider that a bleedthrough Hull hit would be Tooltip Damage * 0.1 * 0.25 ("capped hull") for 207.5 or 103.8 vs. Resilient.

A naked Hull hit would be Tooltip Damage * 0.25 ("capped hull") for 2075 damage.

Quants are 10s, right? So yeah - divide all those numbers by 10 to get their DPS. Painful, eh?

I think what's missing here is the effect of shield percentage - kind of what we see in the shows/movies, eh? Full shields, the torp rocks the boat - half shields, folks are dying and stuff's blowing up.

Perhaps the 75% deflection/absorption/dispersal aspect should scale with the percentage of shields. @50% shields, it would only be 37.5% instead of 75%. Not a case of changing the damage reduction aspect, but the 75% deflection/absorption/dispersal aspect of it...eh?

That ~8300 hit would do 1167.2 damage instead of 466.9 or so in that given situation...@50% shields. 871@75%...1517@25%. That sort of thing.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Torpedoes in Star Trek were oftenly the first and last preferred answer in battle. Other Star Trek games like Starfleet Command have made them potent against shields and hull.

Starfleet Command 3, for instance, followed that principle. There was a catch, however. Every torpedo launcher was a much higher power hog than, say, disruptors, phasers, etc.

I think STO can follow that same principle with Torpedoes being a potent weapon in any situation. The question comes down to how much power the game should designate that these weapons take up when they fire.

Energy weapons will be able to apply constant fire. Torpedoes don't.

Another possible offset for making torpedoes viable in any situation is increasing alot their base reload times. If you want higher ROF, you need to dedicate the DOFFs to it. BOFF abilities should not reduce the cooldowns (like Tactical Initiative, a captain ability, or the BOFF skill Photonic Officer), just as they cannot do with Captain abilities.

Just some random ideas.

I personally would like to see torpedoes in STO live up to their standing in the IP. They were the heavy weapons of any situation in Star Trek. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and any warship captain oftenly began an engagement with torpedo strikes, and they did not keep them back just because enemy shields were up.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thier rate of fire, and volume of fire, is enough of a balance. an unbuffed launch being a single torp is ridiculous anyway.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use energy weapons to knock shields out then hit hull with torps... its simple.

except that its now virtually impossible to "knock the shields down" due to reputation passives and so many shield heals.

even in my dedicated shield stripper build that ONLY focused on stripping shields... id completely remove their shields for only a couple of seconds before a small sliver would be back to stop the torps. even if i fired my torps before i removed the shields there would always be a little bit back to save them.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?