What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Buff Torpedo Damage Vs Shields

2»

Comments

• freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited May 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    except that its now virtually impossible to "knock the shields down" due to reputation passives and so many shield heals.

even in my dedicated shield stripper build that ONLY focused on stripping shields... id completely remove their shields for only a couple of seconds before a small sliver would be back to stop the torps. even if i fired my torps before i removed the shields there would always be a little bit back to save them.

Quite right.

I understand the logic of why torps work the way that they currently do, but it is totally broken.

Torps are impossible to, "time just right," to, "sneak in through shields." 1% remaining shields has 75% resistance to kinetic.

The only way to drop shields is to focus on energy weapons. Since I focus on torps, that is not a very strong hope for me.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quite right.

I understand the logic of why torps work the way that they currently do, but it is totally broken.

Torps are impossible to, "time just right," to, "sneak in through shields." 1% remaining shields has 75% resistance to kinetic.

The only way to drop shields is to focus on energy weapons. Since I focus on torps, that is not a very strong hope for me.

Translation: I know a solution currently exists ingame, and it's one that can be very effectively coupled with torpedoes, but I just refuse to use it so I'm going to demand a fundamental rehashing of game mechanics to suit my whims.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Translation: I know a solution currently exists ingame, and it's one that can be very effectively coupled with torpedoes, but I just refuse to use it so I'm going to demand a fundamental rehashing of game mechanics to suit my whims.

thats quite bs there. and not what he said.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not trying to take sides here, but logically I think an inversely proportional percentage of torpedo damage should start to bleed through shields as they dwindle away toward nothing....perhaps after shields drop below a certain percentage like 25% or so.
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same feeling for a long time, but i actually now think that timed torps actually work pretty good as they are.

The problem is the high investment skill tree wise its not viable in PvP IMO unless you run a full hit'n run boat.

Works really good if you can get into position for a straight line charge in with alpha strike up, fire off rapid fire and HY or TS, watch the cannons kill their shields and the torps knock their hull out in one shot.

The only problem/downside is the short window of opportunity and friggen tractor beams :(

I love hit and run, but then again so do so many other players, it really is a difficult thing to vouch for.

Ive been considering for a while to take torps completely off the table and just go full energy + cutting beam and pick up some other ticks in non projectile skills in my tree. Who knows, its been working for me so far, but its a very tricky timing thing and drives me nuts in group pvp chaos. 1v1 isnt so bad.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • captkirrahecaptkirrahe Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    except that its now virtually impossible to "knock the shields down" due to reputation passives and so many shield heals.

even in my dedicated shield stripper build that ONLY focused on stripping shields... id completely remove their shields for only a couple of seconds before a small sliver would be back to stop the torps. even if i fired my torps before i removed the shields there would always be a little bit back to save them.

This is the problem for me also. I have no gripes with the system being tailored towards torpedoes on hulls but shield regen so fast/shield heals in general are abundant that even a sliver of red fully negates a torpedo's effect.

I would make torpedoes bypass a set amount of shield hit points before resists take place, that way you still have to time them when shield is off but are more likely to hit the hull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's exactly the argument he's been advancing, both in this thread and the other one he cooked up to make the same whine.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited May 2013

Thanks bro!
  • rayduhzrayduhz Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why mess up a good mechanic? Energy weapons take down the shields, torps are best at taking down the hull. Plain and simple.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rayduhz wrote: »
    Why mess up a good mechanic? Energy weapons take down the shields, torps are best at taking down the hull. Plain and simple.

except thats not true.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited May 2013
    I usually don't have many problems taking out people with my B'rel torpedo boat. It's even easier when I'm assisting an all energy build.

With the Tholian T4 reputation, my B'rel is going to get another boost to my kinetic damage.

That being said, please increase my torpedo damage against shields so I can be even more annoying than before!