test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVE Griefing

vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
I was playing a a ground PVE mission the other night and when it first started I hit the wrong key. Instead of using my frosted boots, I ended up activating my party popper. Within seconds there were nasty, vulgar language directed at me. That is totally unacceptable.

I have also seen people acting like they are in charge of the mission while using the public queque.

After seeing how people react to a video game, it actually makes me want to run around the ground PVE missions spreading balloons or blowing up Cubes early just because.

I don't AFK or freeload but I am getting really tired of people's nasty language.
Admiral%20sig%202.png
Post edited by vamank on

Comments

• trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya, people snap at you way to quickly. I sometimes hit my fireworks during an intense firefight in space and that can result in some colorful remarks at me. I just don't see the point of getting upset if someone fires off a party popper or fireworks, if say they are still doing what they are suppose to.

I remember when this game first came out and everyone was still in open parties and I would be entering a patrol and someone else would come in, trigger all the mobs so it became impossible for a player under level 10 to complete and then split, I'll admit I cursed them out and then got a 24 hour ban.

I have a friend in game, who shall remain nameless, who gives his BOFFs the fire extinguisher or a party popper (I think he did it originally to save bank space), but rather than the BOFF doing something like revive you it would stand over you and blow smoke or bubbles (yes, he is trolling).
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sheesh people. It's just a game. No mistake in this game is worth 'that' much derision. Sheesh. Ever even. Sheesh.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,491 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Some people see a simple mistake and automatically lable the person either a troll or a noob.
    Heck... even after they changed the Scimitar AI script where they cloak at will instead of when someone gets within 5km, people still yell at others about the "5k rule" which is now pointless.

People should learn that this is a game. Mistakes happen and things change. People who expect PERFECTION in every run... really need to loosen up.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you don't use a party popper outside of your fleet starbase or a ships bridge unless you want people to assume you are a griefer im afraid
    Live long and Prosper
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The people going off don't have a GPU that's powerful enough to properly show all the particles with great FPS... Their PC's might be slowing down as a result of the particles.

However, I never did that even when I had a GT 520 (good card, but not powerful enough for particles going off all the time like in a firefight in space or fireworks and such. The killer was the plasma vents).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's why it's best to find a group of like minded people to play with, I refuse do to any type of pug in STO or Neverwinter....people for the most part suck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to wonder how serious someone is that uses 2 of their 4 slots to equip frosted boots and party poppers in an STF.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the boots and rolls, you can really get quickly through non-combat sections of the map. The party popper there is no excuse :p
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    I have to wonder how serious someone is that uses 2 of their 4 slots to equip frosted boots and party poppers in an STF.

This. Maybe people won't be so quick to snap at you if you fill these device slots with more useful items.

I sometimes carry my party stuff in my inventory for events and whatnot, but never have them equipped during a mission.
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vamank wrote: »
    I was playing a a ground PVE mission the other night and when it first started I hit the wrong key. Instead of using my frosted boots, I ended up activating my party popper. Within seconds there were nasty, vulgar language directed at me. That is totally unacceptable.

That's rude of them, but it's not griefing.
    After seeing how people react to a video game, it actually makes me want to run around the ground PVE missions spreading balloons or blowing up Cubes early just because.

That would be griefing.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love this thread. Because it's another showcase of the "peaceful PVE" crowd compared to us nasty, evil, PVP brutes. News Flash people! There are douchebags anywhere you go!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • shredder75shredder75 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I'd rather see frosted boots and a party popper in a ground STF than someone without a remodulator and can't figure out how to use the replicator even after being told how. ;)

We've all had those infected runs where your non-combat pet Exocomp parses higher than some of your party members.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shredder75 wrote: »
    We've all had those infected runs where your non-combat pet Exocomp parses higher than some of your party members.

HAHAHAHA...that made me laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • admiraldeathladmiraldeathl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually for Cure Ground the Frosted Boots make travel time much much faster. So much running.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love this thread. Because it's another showcase of the "peaceful PVE" crowd compared to us nasty, evil, PVP brutes. News Flash people! There are douchebags anywhere you go!

Yeah. Riiiiight.

Someone gets bad language directed at them in PvE, it gets a thread.

If there were a thread created every time someone got bad language directed at them in PvP, the forums would implode.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's rude of them, but it's not griefing.

That would be griefing.

No their behavior makes me want to grief. If they want to act like twits then I will bounce around kicking around balloons while the Borg tear them to pieces or the salt zombies tear down buildings and would be laughing my head off. That was my first ground mission in a long time and did it on a whim, so I didnt think about swapping out my gear.

Also in any teamed event there is never a excuse for people to curse or verbally assault someone. I don't care if they show up in MkI gear.

If I see somewhere doing something that will make a mission fail, I just leave. I am fine with the 1 hour timeout as I am not a big fan of the STF/PVE missions anyway. There are plenty of other things I can do. I dont find the need to act holier than thou and tell others what to do and berate other players.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Some people see a simple mistake and automatically lable the person either a troll or a noob.
    Heck... even after they changed the Scimitar AI script where they cloak at will instead of when someone gets within 5km, people still yell at others about the "5k rule" which is now pointless.

People should learn that this is a game. Mistakes happen and things change. People who expect PERFECTION in every run... really need to loosen up.

It's not about perfection, it's about people wanting to assert their dominance and superiority like animals.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you use a party popper, it means it's in one of your 4 active slots right?
    That means you're 'wasting' 25% of your usable item inventory. Depending on what ground mission you're talking about, people might be expecting you to have useful/needed items available for a successful completion. Best to unequip the frivolous items before going in. ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Yeah. Riiiiight.

If there were a thread created every time someone got bad language directed at them in PvP, the forums would implode.

The amount of trolling, cussing, and general rowdy behavior I generate in Ker'rat alone would crash the forums :P
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Yeah. Riiiiight.

The "I've been Silenced" thread of condensed complaints beats both...
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have also seen people acting like they are in charge of the mission while using the public queque.

I don't AFK or freeload but I am getting really tired of people's nasty language.

now you know what i never join fleets/guilds/clan and such, because someone always believes they have the right to be delusional about who is the leader simply because they are in a fleet or because it inflates their epeen/ego. i dont think so, you are still one person, nothing more. i have no more power over what i write then branflakes has to be a community representative, simply because we all have our limits and no one is above these limits. i wished some people realized that and work with each other instead of placing one above the other.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No their behavior makes me want to grief. If they want to act like twits then I will bounce around kicking around balloons while the Borg tear them to pieces or the salt zombies tear down buildings and would be laughing my head off. That was my first ground mission in a long time and did it on a whim, so I didnt think about swapping out my gear.

Also in any teamed event there is never a excuse for people to curse or verbally assault someone. I don't care if they show up in MkI gear.

If I see somewhere doing something that will make a mission fail, I just leave. I am fine with the 1 hour timeout as I am not a big fan of the STF/PVE missions anyway. There are plenty of other things I can do. I dont find the need to act holier than thou and tell others what to do and berate other players.

I'm sorry but let me be blunt:
    I hope i'll never queue with you or people like you. First of you are an early leaver by what you stated. How often have I seen ppl leaving ground when the optional failed or something else did not went perfect and i hate that a lot and its even worse than some not so nice remarks. If you dont want to read them just minimize the chat window but leaving an ongoing and maybe salvageable stf especially ground is much much worse.
    Maybe they were using bad Language but what you are doing is just inacceptable. When you leave YOU will have failed the mission and cost 4 other ppl a good chunk of their time just because well mostly everyone there is needed.
    And as some others here said before: dont bring your trolling party stuff to an stf. Its serious business so act like it. The borg are invading or doing orher bad stuff and need to be stopped. If you put out baloons or something its just massivly immersion breaking for everyone. You kind of come off to me like one of those trolls pooping their baloons everywhere. This is star trek and at least i am a roleplaying person who just hates that stuff like that even exists for ppl to use it.

Guess what im saying is: your a starfleet officer (or a klingon) and neither of those would bring this plaything party pooper to an stf especially estf.

The second thing is your statement to start ruining missions just when someone lashes out at you verbally. First of there are 5 ppl in those missions means dou and 4 others. Even if one or two of those 4 are saying not so nice rhings to you there are 2 others left how would propably like to just finish the mission and just because you are too lazy to put some ppl on you ignore list you - and not those barking at you - will have failed their game without a real reason.
    If you cant handle a situation like this without lashing out at the whole world making threads crying whatever then maybe a MMO is not the right game for you. You dont go around making others miserable just because you feel miserable yourself. Thats in my opinion extremely rude unfair and just trollish behaviour that is inacceptable to me.
    There was a thread a while ago where someone had the idea to use the ignore list as an "no grouping-list" for PvX so you never group with someone on your list. Sadly we dont have that feature yet but if we had you dear OP would be on mine instantly.

And just to be perfectly clear: in dont like rude behavior but going out on a limb to ruin a mission leave or whatever is even more rude and often times punishes the other teammates that had nothing to do with what someone said to you.

And just because its important i say it again: dont bring that party-stuff to an stf kust leave it in your inventury and all is well.

Edit:
    I thought I add kind of an example.. say cse or ise.. my friends and i pug a lot cause we only have a small fleet and cant get 5 ppl together all the time. I cant tell you how many times ppl went crazy in chat when we blow up a cube "early" in their minds or if we ignore 10%-rule. We do that because we know we can without failing the optional. Most of the time, when the mission then goes on to finish with even optionals only a very small percentage of those hating at us in the beginning will actually say something nice in the end or say sry or something but we dont care we know what we are doing what we can and cant do and thats that.
  • aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to say, but the ratio of #$%clown players goes up exponentially when an mmo is/goes free-to-play.
    edited May 2013
    what mmos really need is a feature to just remove some other ppl completely from my game.. this is MY gameing experience and I wish i'd be able to just remove someone competely. If someone is trolling hard everything he says or does gets removed completely from my screen. That would be sooo great. but well, guess ppl making mmos dont really care or know how to care for their customers.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what mmos really need is a feature to just remove some other ppl completely from my game.. this is MY gameing experience and I wish i'd be able to just remove someone competely. If someone is trolling hard everything he says or does gets removed completely from my screen. That would be sooo great. but well, guess ppl making mmos dont really care or know how to care for their customers.

I already invented the solution: Do not go in public queue...cant be more simple than that.
  • seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah cos the in game report and silence isn't already abused?!
    edited May 2013
    Yeah cos the in game report and silence isn't already abused?!

i dont care about reporting anyone to whomever.. and I wouldnt need to if i could just remove you from MY screen if you bug me.. you would still be there doing whatever annoyed me but i would never ever again get you in a public queue, never ever see you again in any instance of map whatsoever or if somehow absolutely necessary need be displayed as a "generic player" without any emotes, chat displays, uniforms, party equip,...

that would still allow everyone to do whatever he or she wants but I could just ignore it/them very comfortably. there is no harm done when you just dont exist on my screen/just not being displayed/exist for collision tests althoough maybe the last one would be situation where this could get a bit complicated but well thats what creative devs are for ;)
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you use a party popper, it means it's in one of your 4 active slots right?
    That means you're 'wasting' 25% of your usable item inventory. Depending on what ground mission you're talking about, people might be expecting you to have useful/needed items available for a successful completion. Best to unequip the frivolous items before going in. ;)

Let's see... a Tribble so that is one. Next you can have one Horta or combat pet of some sort. That is two. Now if you have the Shard of Possibilities then that is 3 but some may not have that so let us not count it. So obviously you can have a Shield Booster or Hypo for number three. So what do you need that last slot for? If you have one healing item it will put any other healing item into cooldown making them all but worthless. You may not have the special FE items. You may well have a 3 piece Rep set which negates the need for a Remodulator...

So enlighten me... What is that 4th slot good for anyway?

IGuess what im saying is: your a starfleet officer (or a klingon) and neither of those would bring this plaything party pooper to an stf especially estf.

I have to really question how much you believe that statement? To say we are really a Starfleet Officer... Starfleet Officers that can wear any uniform or lack there of that we please, fly all manner of alien and often times enemy vessels, have crew from enemy factions serving as COMMANDERS on our ships, and running about the Galaxy killing everything that moves... How Starfleet does any of that sound to you? You can even be a freakin' Freighter Captain for crying out loud... We are a bunch of profiteers and mercenaries. That is the only logical explanation.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    This. Maybe people won't be so quick to snap at you if you fill these device slots with more useful items.

I sometimes carry my party stuff in my inventory for events and whatnot, but never have them equipped during a mission.

I concur. If you've got the party popper equipped for an STF, i'm afraid I have no sympathy with you over what happened.

The fact that because you got a mouthful off people who probably don't find the popper amusing in any way, you want to go off and spoil other STFs means that you are no better than these "griefers".
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why on earth would you waste a slot on party popper instead of using it for something good like hypo, shield generator, gambling device, devedian cane and/or shard of possibilities in STFs? :rolleyes:
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.