test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

the zen rate is too high

silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
it got from 85 to 135 within 1 month !

yes it was 350 last yr (120 when f2p started), but then we did not need dil like we do now

so 100 dil to zen rate is now basicly 200 dil to zen rate... imo

would like to know what pwe is going to do about it, because they also want a low zen rate (to sell more)
i got dil, that i want to spend, but i refuse to buy at this rate... and i know ALOT of people that agree with this

why are all these idiots buying zen so high !!
let it drop..

or just get rid of the whole system, and make it a fixed 50 orsomething..
Post edited by silverfaustx on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    would like to know what pwe is going to do about it, because they also want a low zen rate (to sell more) i got dil, that i want to spend, but i refuse to buy at this rate... and i know ALOT of people that agree with this
    You have this all wrong... Cryptic/PWE wants high prices for Zen, so people (like you) will stop using in game assets, and instead, purchase Zen with $$$. After seeing Zen being weak for so long, its good to see a increase in its value...
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Supply and demand dictate zen prices. There is high demand at the moment. The end.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or Cryptic could make it a fixed 300. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this similar to the "Rent is too damn high" political party

ROFL LMAO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Or Cryptic could make it a fixed 300. :)

cryptic makes MORE money with a LOW zen rate, that way u need to buy more zen to get more dil..
    why do u think they made all the dil sinks..and banning all the dil exploiters..

only lifers/gold want high zen, the rest want it low.
    edited May 2013
    Supply and demand dictate zen prices. There is high demand at the moment. The end.

no its going up because, some players are playin the market and driving up the prices.
    the demand for new c-store items doesnt justify a 60p climb
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it got from 85 to 135 within 1 month !

yes it was 350 last yr (120 when f2p started), but then we did not need dil like we do now

so 100 dil to zen rate is now basicly 200 dil to zen rate... imo

would like to know what pwe is going to do about it, because they also want a low zen rate (to sell more)
    i got dil, that i want to spend, but i refuse to buy at this rate... and i know ALOT of people that agree with this

why are all these idiots buying zen so high !!
    let it drop..

Once the Romulan upgrade has been activated, I expect the number to go from 135 to 170. Its going up in anticipation of the new upgrade. Many people are buying zen now, so they can purchase new Romulan items from the c-store. I just bought $60 in zen. Using zen to buy dilithium is the last thing on everyone's mind. People are going to hold onto Zen, so they can use it to buy Romulan ships, clothes, cores, etc...
    edited May 2013
    and after they found out the romulans suck, they all gona play fed again.
    il just keep my dil for a another few months when its back to normal 100.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and after they found out the romulans suck, they all gona play fed again.
    Art and entertainment is subjective.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cryptic makes MORE money with a LOW zen rate, that way u need to buy more zen to get more dil..
    why do u think they made all the dil sinks..and banning all the dil exploiters..

only lifers/gold want high zen, the rest want it low.
    It's actually the opposite. Cryptic makes more money when grinders aren't getting 80 Zen for 1 hour's work per day. Think of it logically. When Dilithium's at 100 that means the average player earns 2,400 Zen per month - which is enough to buy basically whatever Cryptic's offering in the C-Store for free that month. And someone like me who makes over double that per month is effectively getting a free 3-pack ship each and every month.

But when Zen is at 300, that means the average 8k player is only making 26 Zen per day - or about 800 Zen per month. Cryptic would rather players not get 3 times more C-Store items for free if possible. :)

Keys are where Cryptic makes its real money, and they'd rather people only got 6 free a month rather then 20. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If fewer people were willing to pay so much dil per zen, then the rate might drop. But as long as people are willing to pay higher prices for zen, they'll stay high and possibly climb even higher. I will hold onto my dil until it goes down to what I consider a more reasonable level, or maybe just use it for in-game stuff.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's high enough yet. If it were back at 300:1, I might actually drop some coin again into my Zen habit.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whether Zen is too high or not depends on whether you are buying or selling. It wasn't that long ago that Zen was at 270.

Here is a tip that will help you in every investing endeavor - buy low, sell high.
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    High?!? Sonny, back in my day zen/c-points cost 450 and you know what? We liked it!

You darn kids and your angry rock music, complaining that 130 DPZ is too high....get off my starship's holographic lawn!
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zen - primarily acquired by expenditure of real world money.

Dilithium - primarily acquired by Foundry missions, DOff Assignment and Dailies.

Not all players have the available real world money to purchase Zen. (Myself included) Nearly all players, however can devote a couple hours a day to acquire and refine their daily limit 8000 Dil per character. This means that Dilithium is simply more readily available than Zen, thus, the Zen has a higher value because without spending real-world money, the only other way to purchase it is through the Dilithium Exchange. This means that Zen-holders have what's called a 'limited resource'.

Between all Foundry missions now offering some degree of Dilithium and the large amounts gained by players taking part in the Crystilline Entity event, most players have a 'supply' of Dilithium. The current 'demand' for Dilithium is in the Fleet Starbase and Embassy projects, but not all players are Fleet members. When you have more 'supply' than you have 'demand', you end up with what's known as a 'surplus'.

When one party has a 'limited resource' and a second party wishes to purchase it by using a 'surplus', then you have an instance where the 'supply' of the 'limited resource' is not greater than the 'demand', so the first party is able to set the amount of 'surplus' they will take for their 'limited resource' at an amount where they feel they have gained something from the exchange, they have recieved 'compensation'. The first party now has access to the 'surplus' and the second to the 'limited resource' and each may use them as they see fit. This is called 'business'.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • jymowardjymoward Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When the demand for dilithium went up at the start of Season 7, it was due to dilithium being spent on new fleet starbase projects.

Now fleet starbases are winding down, and for months, Cryptic has been hyping Legacy of Romulus, with lots of bells and whistles, ships, costumes, races and items in the C-store.

So Zen went up, and up, and up.

I expect it will keep going up.

I trade dilithium for Zen every day. I watched it drop from 200 to 80 and now going past 135. I don't think Cryptic does much to change the price.

When people need more dilithium than Zen it will go down.

Not until.
  • captainforfuncaptainforfun Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Easy sollution, if you don`t like the price for zen, then don?t buy them for dilithium no one is forcing you to do it. As alternative you can buy them for real money, otherwise you have to live with the current exhcange course. Before the starbases got into game zen were 300 dilithium or so. From my point of view it is still kinda cheap. So stop the whining.
    Reynolds / Thokal

U.S.S. Helios -Vesta Class / R.R.W. Dark Science - Dyson Surveillance Science Destroyer
    U.S.S. Donut - Fleet Advanced Research Vessel Retrofit
    TheWiseGuys
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yet another you-fail-economics-forever thread.

People are buying Zen at whatever price they're buying it at because they think its worth it. Any more stupid questions?
  • augustofvhaugustofvh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37636290.jpg

Its simply too damn high, though new york rent prices are higher...
  • wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I've dumped about 20% of my Dilithium reserves into Zen purchases since things began to go up. The market usually goes up before a big content release. I'm surprised it hasn't gone any higher already.

I might even dump more into Z. Haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I've spent real $ on Z before, and even though I thoroughly enjoy the Vesta-Class bundle I purchased with such, I also felt incredibly foolish spending actual money to buy a virtual starship. So since then I've vowed not to buy Z ever again, and have not. Been tempted during sales, but I've resisted.
  • captainvader83captainvader83 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly think that Zen should be much less. I cannot see spending $25 for a ship. It is ridiculous. I think the rate should be $10 buys you 2000 Zen. We are talking about real money here. Not fake **** you earn in game. Either fix everything to be earned in game or fix it so that all the ships that currently require Zen to buy can be bought with either Zen or Dilithium. I understand it is F2P and they still need to make money somewhere. I just think that if you spend a long time going through the game to collect what tiny amounts of Dilithium in the game then you should be able to use it for anything that is available. My current ship is a Sovereign class ship. I have all of the Mk XI Dominion gear on my ship and I am tired of constantly getting my butt kicked by *******s that have a lot of money they can actually spend on the game. Why can't games be more kind to people that are less economically stable?:mad:
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly think that Zen should be much less. I cannot see spending $25 for a ship. It is ridiculous. I think the rate should be $10 buys you 2000 Zen. We are talking about real money here. Not fake **** you earn in game. Either fix everything to be earned in game or fix it so that all the ships that currently require Zen to buy can be bought with either Zen or Dilithium. I understand it is F2P and they still need to make money somewhere. I just think that if you spend a long time going through the game to collect what tiny amounts of Dilithium in the game then you should be able to use it for anything that is available. My current ship is a Sovereign class ship. I have all of the Mk XI Dominion gear on my ship and I am tired of constantly getting my butt kicked by *******s that have a lot of money they can actually spend on the game. Why can't games be more kind to people that are less economically stable?:mad:

Welcome to the real world... Or I should say the way the world used to be before governments started controlling the economy for the proletariat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love when someone goes. 'just fix it at 50' because they want it as cheap as possible for the players.

dont worry about the other half of the playerbase, the zen sellers. TRIBBLE them trying to get value for money. :rolleyes:
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So who's turn is it to cry over the Dilithium exchange this month? Dil sellers?

Boo hoo. Boo hoo.
    <3
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cant wait for it to hit 300 dil per zen again, then I will cash out a small % of zen to fill 7 chars coffers with dil HAHAHAHAHA
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cant wait for it to drop then i will get rid of my 467k Dil im holding on to for c store stuff
    JtaDmwW.png
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly think that Zen should be much less. I cannot see spending $25 for a ship. It is ridiculous.

You must be new here.

In a lot of F2P MMO's, mounts or vehicles cost between $20 to $60.

$25 for a ship is quite normal.

The other day in another MMO, I spent $100 to get one mount and two outfits. Trust me, you have it very good here.
    Joined August 2009
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If they lowered the cost of Zen, they would raise the cost of all the items in the C-Store. Its the real money that Cryptic/PWE wants, they could care less how much zen you have to buy with your money, the only reason Zen is 100 to $1 is so it's an easy number to remember. A $25 dollar ship would still cost $25 dollars, even if it was 25,000,000 zen instead of 2,500 zen.

By the way, to the OP, Cryptic and PWE have next to no control over the Dil Exchange, that's all up to the players.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love when someone goes. 'just fix it at 50' because they want it as cheap as possible for the players.

Doesn't have to be 50. I'll settle for 55 :P
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.