What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4 May 2013 Server Crash (Resolved!)

Comments

• oowoonoowoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is no way as bad as it was 2 and a half years ago when it would crash several times a day. I remember it going down 12 times in 16 hrs. You talk about being mad!!!

12 times in 16 hours??? Really? who the heck hired these fools? i could keep this running better on a blasted Mac Mini that what the must be using......sigh.....again....for the 14th time in 2 days......hhahahaahha
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • kartimozkartimoz Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    ...hmmm...actually I really like insects and stuff but your bugs are ...bad!

Can?t play - can?t test :(

It?s funny - I can reach the english forum but the german is still down.

No official statement anywhere?
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same, and I ended up tweeting to the STO account
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Well... 30 minutes and still no PR-Gremlin.

Frankly I don't even want to see the response...will be something along these lines, like always: Hi Captains! Thanks for your support, you are awesome! We are fixing it this time, really, we really are fixing it!
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    luxandra wrote: »
    I am going to say one word. Overhaul. That is all.

We're calling in Chip Foose? :cool:
  • omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    did not branflakes state that new hardware was being introduced so this does not happen again , you got it wrong branflakes cause it has happened again . less than 3 weeks till season 8 and I don't think the servers will cope when it is released , all this cash crab will turn round and bite back me thinks
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    looks like all servers are down but one http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/star_trek_online

i didnt even have any doff missions running on my main kdf i just loged on n collected them
    Neverwinter, STO, and CO. All of Cryptic's games are unable to connect to the patch server, which means we can't get into game on any of the three.

And that's the problem which will never be solved if there is a central login hub for all three games.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Not that I'm trying to excuse Cryptic, but the games are NOT on the same server. Should probably get your facts straight. In fact, Neverwinter is on 3 different servers. Players on 1 server cannot play with players on another. They have specifically said the reason they did this was to prevent global problems from affecting the entire game (ie if 1 server goes down, the other 2 would hopefully remain). Unfortunately, for this to affect all Cryptic games, it is something more than just a server going down.

Well, clearly the traffic to all of the servers goes through a bottleneck.

It's like saying that different groups in a conference centre meet in different rooms.......but if there's only one door in to the centre then thats where the problems occur.

There appears to be a fundamental problem with Cryptics ability to run so many games at the same time.

The day NW went live, STO's stability began to wobble.

We've now had global, catastrophic failures two nights in a row.

Time to stop pretending there isn't a systemic problem and time to start solving it.
  • duggeekduggeek Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The 4th is strong with this day, it finds our lack of faith... disturbing.
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tabzen wrote: »
    You asked for proof ... why would they improve server stability several weeks ahead ... wait ... was NW open beta then ? No?

But it still comes down to ignorance and saying "it's NW crashing it" ...

So why where they upgrading server stability weeks before ... oh ... I know ... cause NW was causing lag a month before ..

Stop blaming NW and start blaming the hardware.

We know its not NW, it could be any game, yes it is hardware, somewhere that is failing :)

and I still say a server stability patch isn't much more than a defrag :D
  • cojak70cojak70 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drunk monkeys can do a better job than they are doiong
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited May 2013
    Same! Please Come Back Sto!
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • mattyou4mattyou4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, what they are likely running is a:

Connection => Login/Account controller => Master Load Balancer for each game => 15-20 Zone servers in a star format for each game.

Every 100ms or so a packet with persistent login data is sent back up the chain to the MLB and the AC to reauthenticate. If one of them goes down (especially the master account controller), the entire network crashes.

This way your game is handled datawise on 20 different machines for load, but you are always tethered to one master server for authentication purposes.

For whatever reason the first server in the chain (or one of the first since that is a VERY simplified mapping, it doesnt include patchers or anything else) is being overloaded and going down, killing the whole network for multiple games.

They need to split account logins to multiple servers, not one box, I can tell thats what they are doing here.

the next dev ^ :rolleyes:
  • darkpepsidarkpepsi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We always hear "the rules" From the female side. Now here are the rules from the male side. These are our rules! Please note. these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Men ARE not mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat.
    You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down.
    We need it up, you need it down.
    You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon
    or the changing of the tides.
    Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport.
    And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want.
    Let us be clear on this one:
    Subtle hints do not work!
    Strong hints do not work!
    Obvious hints do not work!
    Just say it!

1. Yes and No are perfectly Acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only If you want help solving it. That's what we do.
    Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument.
    In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 Days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't Expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are.
    Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one

1. You can either ask us to do something
    Or tell us how you want it done.
    Not both.
    If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, Please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did NOT need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings.
    Peach, for example, is a fruit, not! A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will Be scratched.
    We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," We will act like nothing's wrong.
    We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear Is fine...Really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation,
    or golf.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this.
    Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight;

But did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping.

this **** is so true. 200 pages here we come!
  • dato134679dato134679 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrote a ticket.
  • pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is going to be an expensive weekend for PWE ...shame...
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, look at it this way... Potty break!!!!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • milesllewellynmilesllewellyn Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here gets stuck on trying to update the launcher and fails to connect.
  • drmoxdrmox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Critical Failure!
    All Server Hamster Doffs Killed!
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cojak70 wrote: »
    drunk monkeys can do a better job than they are doiong

I thought that's what they were using... Hmmm, no wonder they're having problems...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • bgd3183bgd3183 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, California here as well. If this is another '5 hours of downtime' thing, I'll probably have to call it quits for the night :(
    like a kick in the gorn.
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame

ok so we should make a pool on how long it takes them to notice the server is on fire again....

The server's on fire? .......... I wondered what that burning sensation was on my backside though maybe it was too much Romulan Ale.....
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikearoo wrote: »
    We know its not NW, it could be any game, yes it is hardware, somewhere that is failing :)

I honestly doubt the actual hardware is faulty, it is most likely how it is being utilized and having the traffic directed.

One central box is getting a memory corruption or a hard fault and suddenly everything else goes down because it relies on a tether back to that one central login authentication.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tabzen wrote: »
    Nothing to do with NW ...
    Hardware issues ... stop blaming NW for hardware issues.

It's a hardware only issue if you have sufficient architecture for your current load. Running 3+ mmo's (witch happen to be the most resource intensive[server side] genre around) on the same backbone is just stupid and gets one predictable results.
  • nithanathnithanath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While the server is down I'm watchig a video about the new Star Trek game. Looks pretty cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mccormick81mccormick81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    did not branflakes state that new hardware was being introduced so this does not happen again , you got it wrong branflakes cause it has happened again

he is a salesman he will tell us whatever we want to hear except the trueth... which in the end will be a lot of lost players.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited May 2013

I'm really sorry about that because i would really love to play a ST online game. I wish CBS had sold the license to a company who knew what to do with it and knew what they are doing.

CBS did not sell the license. They wouldnt sell it at all ever because it is too valuable. Star Wars and Star Trek are the two top slots for science fiction. They would be crazy to go from number 2 to number 0 in this market. What CBS did is allow the use of the license for a premium of all sales with some very heavy stipulations on how it is used so the IP is not ruined.

Anyway, hows them servers going?
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the server caught fire after a single fan broke off it is time to invest in some new hardware ...

And a fire extinguisher :D

Down in the UK here as well.

Damn it...that means I have to do ... gasp....laundry!!!!
    server_hamster6.png
  • elcapitannx01elcapitannx01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neverwinter authentication servers had crashed. I assume, STO and Neverwinter servers are connected if not the same...so all cryptic games atm are not responding...
This discussion has been closed.