test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4 May 2013 Server Crash (Resolved!)

Comments

• theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As i posted in a different post related to server crash, Cryptic's Biggest fail and reason for all the crashing is that they tie all the launchers and servers together... Which leads to many pissy customers who will want to leave said fail MMO servers and fond another game to play unrelated to cryptic... bad for gaming and bad for business... plain and simple...

Good point. I remember when I couldn't log into any EA games once, and then found out just how many online EA games I had on my xBox and PC. Of course, there are other reasons EA isn't popular.....

I do like the shared chat across Cryptic games, but I agree that it's pretty bad when all of your company's games go down at once...especially when it happens too often and especially before the launch of a new game and an expansion.

You know, a request for a small amount of free Zen would not be unreasonable at this point, especially for paid subscribers who are missing out on some prime time play. I believe Netflix offers or used to offer small amounts of credit when they had problems. It's not something Cryptic HAS to do but it would buy them some good will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    already posted in ALLthe other down server threads about merging them all.....lord knows the rage is going to begin for 2 outages in 2 days.....what are they thinking????

That's the problem, I don't think they are. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • coresystemcoresystem Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Long night shift.....loaded game up.....ping....you [DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..I [CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..because you [DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..and you [DELETED]..[CENSORED]..and I will [DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..[DELETED]..[CENSORED]..thats all I have to say!
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now are they on separate virtual servers, or really on separate servers :)

We all know its the influx of traffic hitting the one area, its time to get a new network, or host, or something :)
  • mccormick81mccormick81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    I thought it was just me but I noticed that the game was feeling sluggish and then nit simply went down completely. Now, the launcher simply has crashed and cannot connect. In the United States, launcher is down. lols

lol i messaged them about that and they told me it was my pc..... i said hmmmm maybe i should send you the specs on my computer and then you can try to tell me that again... there is nothing slow on my computer....... except for maybe me at 2 am....
  • tonygutierreztonygutierrez Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So whats going on I cant even log into STO or Everwinter at all this sucks, I was thinking about investing some money into the new game but I dont think I will with this headache One game is down, All Perfect world games are down. I even had a good friend from sto on there we was about to party up and do a mission. This is a big disapointment really.. :mad::eek::eek:
  • demonstormukdemonstormuk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is really bad. Not just the server downs... it's in general what is happening to STO.

I am not really a gamer, i played 3 MMO's in my whole life, and i kinda was done with it and only play STO because i am a Trekkie, because it's like the only real place where Star Trek is still kinda "alive", not because i want to play a MMO. I'm saying this to show, that Cryptic has a HUGE advantage over other games for me simply because it's the ONLY ST MMO out there. And i guess there are a few others like me and with these people they have a monopoly.

That is a dream sitation that every company would love to have, because it's hard to mess that up.

But i think Cryptic can do that, because they are just so incredibly incompetent. I was finally convinced of that when i saw how incredibly long it took them to fix the foundry exploit. Something that they were for sure VERY interested in fixing because it cost them pure profit every minute it was there. And still it took them months to fix it. That says everything. Even if they really want - they can't.

I'm really sorry about that because i would really love to play a ST online game. I wish CBS had sold the license to a company who knew what to do with it and knew what they are doing.

Should have sold it to Bioware.
  • coryb77coryb77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oes anyone know if the servers are down, can't seem to find any threads about it. :P
  • jonathan#1031 jonathan Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well, I am going to test my signature I just changed... TEST
    <|>< . . . <z^>< . . . <zX^>< <( (..) )> oO(There's always a bigger Fish in the sea.)
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heh, I agree.. server stability patch does in deed = look out, incoming down time. Honestly for a server stability patch, I think all they're doing is defragging the hard drives :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This reminds me of STO headstart...

Gotta love nostalgia
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My launcher is down. Any ETA on fix?
  • luxandraluxandra Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am going to say one word. Overhaul. That is all.
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dark4blood wrote: »
    I am curious is this only certain people having this issue or is the server actually down? I am curious as others have said they have dropped but Cryptic still lists the server as up.

Cryptic listing the servers as up doesn't really mean anything, they're so slow to update status that most of them still list their mothers as virgins. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theftbot wrote: »
    Came for tears, left satisfied.

You must have collected alot of your own!

*hands more bottles*
    XzRTofz.gif
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh well, downtime is my cue to go get something for dinner. It's been fun arguing with a couple of you, I suppose. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well... 30 minutes and still no PR-Gremlin.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The patch server cannot be reached, but the game server is online, and that's why nobuddy will meowtice until work hours begin in "The Gates" (Los Gatos). We will therefore have a downtime of another 6 hours at least.

PS: And I say it again - without blaming NW as a game - we need servers for each game. Then the NW start wouldn't affect STO's gameplay and serverload at all. Please promise me that you will take care of this as soon as NW is up, because you will most likely launch another new game in the next year or two.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • tabzentabzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    Proves nothing, deary. Not a bit.

Everyone knows by now that to Cryptic, stability improvements means that we're about to get a lot more crashes. Always happens. Generic statements like that prove nothing, not with Cryptic's track record.

You asked for proof ... why would they improve server stability several weeks ahead ... wait ... was NW open beta then ? No?

But it still comes down to ignorance and saying "it's NW crashing it" ...

So why where they upgrading server stability weeks before ... oh ... I know ... cause NW was causing lag a month before ..

Stop blaming NW and start blaming the hardware.
  • pnk4lpnk4l Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its not on our server. all three of their games share the same account server. thats not going to change.

they put it on the same game server too or do you not read the forums?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stargate4astargate4a Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Washington state here & still down at 1:10am.....
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    So you really belive they have a Netconnection -> Router -> Single Server setup?

Heh...

I am thinking more like a relative large dust-free room, with pretty neat cooling and several backup connections, and a s-load of cables..

Again... I seriously doubt you have a setup even remotely close to what they are dealing with.

No, what they are likely running is a:

Connection => Login/Account controller => Master Load Balancer for each game => 15-20 Zone servers in a star format for each game.

Every 100ms or so a packet with persistent login data is sent back up the chain to the MLB and the AC to reauthenticate. If one of them goes down (especially the master account controller), the entire network crashes.

This way your game is handled datawise on 20 different machines for load, but you are always tethered to one master server for authentication purposes.

For whatever reason the first server in the chain (or one of the first since that is a VERY simplified mapping, it doesnt include patchers or anything else) is being overloaded and going down, killing the whole network for multiple games.

They need to split account logins to multiple servers, not one box, I can tell thats what they are doing here.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • cojak70cojak70 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they are running around like a bunck of pakleds doing a math problem
  • hugereddogghugereddogg Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well here in the UK its now just after 9am, guess im looking at not playing STO for the majority of today!! If its their hardware that's let them down again they are just plain silly!

With Neverwinter going live, LoR Just around the corner and an absolute boat load of players on TTS getting a feel for the new content, an increase in players was surely expected. They should have forseen this and future-proofed against it. Shame!
  • silence1311silence1311 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic listing the servers as up doesn't really mean anything, they're so slow to update status that most of them still list their mothers as virgins. ;)

Loling very hard! XD
  • wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dark4blood wrote: »
    I am curious is this only certain people having this issue or is the server actually down? I am curious as others have said they have dropped but Cryptic still lists the server as up.

They are all in bed...
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • mccormick81mccormick81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame

ok so we should make a pool on how long it takes them to notice the server is on fire again....
  • ejqioxejqiox Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deja vu all over again !
    it has to be a new borg faction this one assimilates STO servers :eek:
  • hawksscreamhawksscream Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter, STO, and CO. All of Cryptic's games are unable to connect to the patch server, which means we can't get into game on any of the three.
    3560177.jpg
  • ragnormalakragnormalak Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labrat66 wrote: »
    just to let you guys know that yesterday the server went down cause 1 of the fans in the server overheated and broke off and server got to hot and was on fire ...thats why it took so long to get back online ...why the server is offline agian i have no clue but think there replacing the server agian or another fire at cryptic lmao

If the server caught fire after a single fan broke off it is time to invest in some new hardware in my opinion. Also, most modern motherboards have safety precautions built in that prevent the computer from overheating; when the motherboard or processor become too hot it automatically shuts down. And in most BIOSes there is an option to put a warning on the screen when processor and/or motherboard are becoming overheated. So either they didn't turn this option on, which is very dumb and unprofessional or they didn't pay attention to the many warnings they must have gotten on the screen before the server caught fire. Which in both cases isn't very reassuring to me...

Btw here in Europe (Netherlands) server and site is also down. Even the login server and patch server is down.
This discussion has been closed.