test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

JJ now to ruin Star Wars

jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
I read somewhere the other day that Disney are going to let him loose on Star Wars, whilst it will be hard to make a worse mess than Lucas did with the whole prequel thing, I'm sure he'll have a good.

(Disclaimer)Whilst I do realise people will think hes talented and did't get on just becasue of his connection to Steven Spielberg. I am hopeing that the information is wrong linking him to SW.
Post edited by jtoon74 on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, he ruined the last star trek movie. I understand he was trying to make a more action themed movie and in that respect, that was fine. However the Federation did not have warships with point defense turrets. Nor did we have a ship with 800 people at the 23rd century. The largest ship was a heavy cruiser with 433 people.

Plus the age differences between all those people on the bridge crew was a lot more than that. It was just too action packed without a well thoughtout storyline. So yeah he's gonna ruin the star wars movie
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, Trek wasn't ruined at all for me. :)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I think JJ is better suited for the Star Wars universe. Big explosions with lots of lens flare lightsaber fights seems to work better over there. Also after Episodes 1-3 I'm of the opinion that SW can't be damaged much more than it already has. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited May 2013
    if he sticks to the storyline and the concept, ya he could do well
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    JJ starwars predictions

1 Beam weapons instead of blasters
    2 transporter beams
    3 character driven plot
    4 no explosions or violence as a peaceful diplomatic solution is sought

also
    Han is 11 luke is 12 leia is 43 and chinese
    Live long and Prosper
    edited May 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Han is 11 luke is 12 leia is 43 and chinese

I choked on my breakfast
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if he sticks to the storyline and the concept, ya he could do well

:D:D Oh that's good... JJ sticking to someone else's storyline and concept... :D:D
  • devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What made the SW prequels suck so much, to me, was the fact that the characters didnt have any...character. Sure, there were a few good actors, but none of them made it "fun" the way Harrison Ford did. Now, say what you will about JJ-Trek, but Pine-Kirk give mes a Solo-esque "fun vibe", and I like the way the various characters interact. I think if JJ can bring that kind of atmosphere to the SW movies then they will succeed where the prequels failed.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I think JJ is better suited for the Star Wars universe. Big explosions with lots of lens flare lightsaber fights seems to work better over there. Also after Episodes 1-3 I'm of the opinion that SW can't be damaged much more than it already has. :P

I completely agree with this.

I think JJ did ok with Star Trek. There are things he did that I did like and some that I did not like (ship size). I think he will excel with Star Wars.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    devtracker wrote: »
    What made the SW prequels suck so much, to me, was the fact that the characters didnt have any...character. Sure, there were a few good actors, but none of them made it "fun" the way Harrison Ford did. Now, say what you will about JJ-Trek, but Pine-Kirk give mes a Solo-esque "fun vibe", and I like the way the various characters interact. I think if JJ can bring that kind of atmosphere to the SW movies then they will succeed where the prequels failed.

He may not get a lot of trek, but he understood the whole kirk spock mcoy thing and made it work. The biggest gripe I have with the movie is the lens flare and rapid fire weapons are hard on the eyes. epileptic siezures anyone? Also it would have been nice to have a more cerebral villian in a trek movie for once. considering what was being done to tng in the movies he has saved trek for now.

As far as SW who really wants to see a 70 year old Han solo? or a kid Han solo? They need to do something different or use special effects to make the actors young again.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if it wasnt for JJ Trek this game would never have come out, I am fairly confident in that.

also I suggest you watch the Plinkett review (who hasnt seen it yet anyway?) of Star Trek. it pretty much states that JJ Trek is what Star Wars was. an action adventure, not a sci-fi.

altho I would love if JJ did the exact same thing what he did with star trek. turning a sci fi into an action adventure, and now he would make star wars into a hardcore sci fi with strong questions about life and everything scientific in a slower paced movie ^^

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw the 2009 Trek in the theater without knowing who directed the film. My first thought was that it was Michael Bay, lol. The movie was decent but it seemed dumbed down for the modern audience-- fast paced action with little substance. According to the trailers I've seen for the upcoming movie I expect more of the same. Sure, I'll watch it, but I'll wait for it to come on Netflix.
  • lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Never say never!:D

I do believe JJ is more suitable to the Starwars universe than the Trek universe. Starwars has always been about galactic conflict, which fits right up his alley. Star Trek is more focused on morality and how the humans of the future hang on to their ideals even in the direst of situations, putting that in a movie in a sensible way is simply not JJ's strongpoint.
  • suntarusuntaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NOw DOesn't anyone know JJ is going to make Star Wars more like Star Trek. :) Han will probably be flying a Ferengi Shuttle craft, er Han will probably be a Ferengi. lol.
    edited May 2013
    suntaru wrote: »
    NOw DOesn't anyone know JJ is going to make Star Wars more like Star Trek. :) Han will probably be flying a Ferengi Shuttle craft, er Han will probably be a Ferengi. lol.

I shuddered at the thought of those teeth on Han Solo
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lord7tareq wrote: »
    Star Trek is more focused on morality and how the humans of the future hang on to their ideals even in the direst of situations, putting that in a movie in a sensible way is simply not JJ's strongpoint.

Yeah I always took TOS to be an actiony space adventure that might have some morality in it, but not necessarily, but could branch out into comedy, and occasional horror at times that had people that while some what and improvement on people today (as in mostly gotten over their differences enough to work together) are still recognizable people with flaws.

So I'm not really seeing how some people are saying this movie isn't a Star Trek movie.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    if it wasnt for JJ Trek this game would never have come out, I am fairly confident in that.

also I suggest you watch the Plinkett review (who hasnt seen it yet anyway?) of Star Trek. it pretty much states that JJ Trek is what Star Wars was. an action adventure, not a sci-fi.

altho I would love if JJ did the exact same thing what he did with star trek. turning a sci fi into an action adventure, and now he would make star wars into a hardcore sci fi with strong questions about life and everything scientific in a slower paced movie ^^
    No the game was being made before jj film in fact it was getting close to release when they got a call that jj blew up Romulus, becuase they had a full Romulus and remus star system. It would have came out regardless besides cbs owns the rights to all old trek, paramount owns it for the new movies.

I haven't but I don't need to know JJ Abrams copied several scenes from the starwars films, and that he wanted to turn trek into starwars.

LOL if he does that imagine the rage most starwars fan would have casual and the hardcore ones...

Also to above its the bad plot first, secound how much of tos did you watch becuase there were many morality and philosophical concepts in TOS, it may not be blatantly obvious as tng were there is less fighting. But TOS showed you could have both action and that kind of story telling, which the jj movie did not,with its flat unbelievable villain.
    edited May 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I always took TOS to be an actiony space adventure that might have some morality in it, but not necessarily, but could branch out into comedy, and occasional horror at times

Horror? what horror? well sure at the time it had horror... Nichelle having to kiss Shatner... oy the horror!
  • chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Rule of Acquisition 284: Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi. :D
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    he did not ruin anything. he just could not please every single person from a scifi fan base who tend to take everything too personally to begin with.

it certainly was not perfect, but a lot of Trek is viewed through some very rose tinted glasses at times, and much of it falls under the same criticism.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I always took TOS to be an actiony space adventure that might have some morality in it, but not necessarily, but could branch out into comedy, and occasional horror at times that had people that while some what and improvement on people today (as in mostly gotten over their differences enough to work together) are still recognizable people with flaws.

So I'm not really seeing how some people are saying this movie isn't a Star Trek movie.
    Because too many don't remember the original series. (You can't think of any horror? How about "Charlie X"? The yeoman whose face was removed because Charlie thought she had laughed at him? Or the Incredible Salt Vampire in "The Man Trap"? Sure, that verged on comedy, but only because the concept was vaguely silly - the implementation was horror. What of Redjak, seizing control of people and making them commit murder in "The Wolf in the Fold"?)

Also, I believe the complaints of the movie being "too much action" primarily come from those who grew up with TNG, where Picard would always talk every problem to death before actually doing anything about it. They don't have the visceral connection to Kirk and his gunboat-diplomacy approach ("we're not here to shoot everything in sight - but that doesn't mean we won't"). In "A Taste of Armageddon", Jean-Luc would never have destroyed the computers carrying on the simulated war - he would have just talked to both sides until they gave in to his position. Heck, look at how they handled similar situations, in "That Which Survives" and "The Last Outpost".

When the lonely supercomputer guarding the alien outpost attacked several crewmembers of the Enterprise and threatened to kill Kirk, they responded by phasering the defensive systems into oblivion.

When the lonely supercomputer guarding the alien outpost attacked the Enterprise-D and a Ferengi ship, Picard negotiated the computer into submission.

As you can see, different captains mean different approaches (lampshaded when Q first came to DS9 - "You hit me! Picard would never have hit me!" "I'm not Picard."). And trying to claim Abrams "ruined Trek forever" because he made a movie more reminiscent of TOS than TNG seems like a bit of an IDIC fail.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Picard didn't talk to the supercomputer, it was Riker, who by the way blew up part of a nebula to kill a bunch of enemies.
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Most of the criticism that I have for the 2009 movie (which I didn't think was terrible, I'd rank it between Generations and Star Trek VI in the middle of the pack as Trek movies go) was that JJ was bringing in a lot of elements of Star Wars. He's also admitted that he's never been a huge Trek fan. So my assumption has always been that he'd really rather be doing Star Wars anyway. That said, I think he'll do Star Wars pretty well.

In terms of Star Wars elements in his Trek, first and foremost, he changed the whole dynamic of the cast. In TOS, the crew of the Enterprise were all adult professionals. Kirk, in his 30's, was the youngest Constitution class Captain in the fleet. They were essentially military professionals serving on a ship which had had at least two previous crews, and they had no reason to suspect that they would be its last. In JJ Trek, they're a group of young rebels against the system. And that's not just in the first movie, that theme continues in the second one. But a group of young rebels against the galactic government is exactly what Star Wars was about. There are also a lot of smaller things, like Nero flying what around in a giant planet destroying ship. Giving Kirk daddy issues. Scotty's sidekick. Elements more at home in the Star Wars universe than the Trek universe.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    They don't have the visceral connection to Kirk and his gunboat-diplomacy approach ("we're not here to shoot everything in sight - but that doesn't mean we won't").

I think you're buying into a Kirk stereotype. I mean, come on, how many supercomputers did Kirk literally talk to death over the course of only three seasons? 4? 5? Kirk wasn't Janeway (who triggered the self-destruct sequence at least once an episode). He was perfectly happy to talk his way out of most situations (ala the 'Corbomite Maneuver').

TOS Kirk, real Kirk, was a much more complex character than the fist-fighting, womanizing, shoot-first and ask questions later portrayal he tends to get from folks with muddy recollections of the actual show. He wasn't Han Solo.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think you're buying into a Kirk stereotype. I mean, come on, how many supercomputers did Kirk literally talk to death over the course of only three seasons? 4? 5?
    One - his own (on two occasions, as I recall - "The Ultimate Computer" and "Wolf in the Fold"). He didn't encounter that many alien supercomputers, but when he did, his response was to either leave them alone or (if that proved impossible) destroy them. (He did like to talk to godlike aliens, though, because really what else are you going to do? Shoot the Squire of Gothos? Threaten the Gamesters of Triskelion? Punch the Metrons?)

He didn't blow up his ship the way Janeway did, because the Constitution-class, unlike Janeway's Intrepid-class, didn't have a Magic Reset Button that would erase any mistakes they'd made that episode...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2013
    but the differences between TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voy is that the environment were all different.

TOS, the Federation is at war and has many enemies.

TNG - The Federation is tired of war and has managed to make peace with everyone and has a cold war with the Romulans. The crew knows how to fight, but are tired of it.

DS9 - The Federation is at war with the Borg so we start to see officers training for fighting and defence of the Federation. It's a new generation where the older soldiers fought in the last war (against Cardassia) and a new generation rising who has never fought with the exception of Kira. I count O'Brian and Sisko as the older soldiers. You see this newbish attitude change as characters die or are seriously tramaised in the wars fought on DS9.

Voyager - They got nothing left to lose except their morals and values. So they cling to that while hoping to get home. They're not going to let anyone steal their technology. They know the odds of them getting home is slim, so if they're backed into a corner, they will keep to the Prime Directive value of not letting technology fall into the hands of younger species.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An action oriented movie is fine, but a series of action scenes strung together with a silly plot is not. Let me remind you about the fact that in the 2009 movie Starfleet put a cadet who never even graduated (and was likely to be expelled) in charge of the Enterprise.

BTW, TOS was action oriented, but had stories from some of the great sci-fi writers, like Harlan Ellison.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
    edited May 2013
    right, once the situation was resolved, Kirk would either be handed command of a small ship, not a capital ship, or made a Lt on the command track
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    An action oriented movie is fine, but a series of action scenes strung together with a silly plot is not. Let me remind you about the fact that in the 2009 movie Starfleet put a cadet who never even graduated (and was likely to be expelled) in charge of the Enterprise.

BTW, TOS was action oriented, but had stories from some of the great sci-fi writers, like Harlan Ellison.
    Well, the guy did just save the earth, while other Federation starships died, so I guess that should entitle him to some reward. And believe it or not, the Navy has a long history of rewarding valor and bravery with a ship command. Now we can argue that Kirk might not have deserved the Enterprise but his actions would have earned him a ship command - and we can assume that Admiral Pike pushed really hard for him to get the Enterprise.

And I can name a thousand things in canon Trek that make no sense. It's pointless to cherry-pick, IMO. :)

And there's a huge difference between action-orientated TV and action-orientated movies. That's like saying Enterprise has the same amount of action in it as Nemesis.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2013
    Of course the Navy rewards valour but would they award a raw pilot who stopped Pearl Harbour and sunk the entire Japanese navy with command of the Enterprise? A top notch carrier?

Enterprise was the flagship of the fleet, no cadet or recent graduate, no matter what, would be given command of the most powerful ship the Federation has.