test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My fleet got STOLEN.

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Me and my fleet leaders trust people on the net and we still have our fleet.

All I'm saying is at least have one person, whether you know the in real life or only in game, you trust enough to assume command of fleet if need be. We lost our fleet leader and the next leader has done a great job so far with the Klingon fleet, same goes with fed leader

so your not even a fleet leader not going to go back and forth with a pawn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    so your not even a fleet leader

Not a moment but I use to be for a while.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    be creative find a way to get your fleet back
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    spork87 wrote: »
    be creative if your fleet got stolen find out there username, get a program to run through passwords that is automated and get your fleet back, simple solution
    You can be banned for even suggesting that.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You can be banned for even suggesting that.

how that information is on google, I did not suggest programs to do so now did i? I wont tell anyone what to use, I just offering what a 10 second google search will reveal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I just offering what a 10 second google search will reveal

and that's why
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jtkirkinjtkirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Blevok, don't lie. You shared leadership with 5 people of the same rank. 3 of the 5 VOTED to demote you and one other member because neither of you ever played the game and when you did sign on it was only to undermine the rest of the fleet by stealing from the bank and starting featured projects that no one wanted; and which cost the fleet weeks of time and millions in resources and set back our star-base for months collectively.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jtkirkin wrote: »
    Blevok, don't lie. You shared leadership with 5 people of the same rank. 3 of the 5 VOTED to demote you and one other member because neither of you ever played the game and when you did sign on it was only to undermine the rest of the fleet by stealing from the bank and starting featured projects that no one wanted; and which cost the fleet weeks of time and millions in resources and set back our star-base for months collectively.

And this goes back to why I think rewards/progress should be more individual and the emphasis on grouping should, well, be on grouping.

Shared rewards that take a lot of shared work but are controlled by few people is a bad design either way.
  • number1romulannumber1romulan Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And this goes back to why I think rewards/progress should be more individual and the emphasis on grouping should, well, be on grouping.

Shared rewards that take a lot of shared work but are controlled by few people is a bad design either way.

The system is designed so that the serfs build the king his space castle - is this a bad set-up?
  • number1romulannumber1romulan Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    be creative if your fleet got stolen find out there username, get a program to run through passwords that is automated and get your fleet back, simple solution

Your ARE telling someone to hack cryptic system/user information and private account info

"find out their usermane" "get a program to run through passwords" "get(steal) your fleet back"

you should modify that - it's a banning offense - not a warning
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rule #1: Never promote someone else to the top rank.
    Rule #2: See Rule #1

You can make the 2nd rank almost equal to the top rank but for one tiny issue...they can't usurp the fleet!!!! :rolleyes:
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jtkirkinjtkirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • malclavemalclave Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know, we're all missing the point here, if you had actually been able to vet this guy before you promoted him even close to fleet command rank, it wouldn't have happened. I know it's difficult to do in a huge fleet, but you should only promote people you trust.
  • srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is simple
    have 1 or 2 people at the top rank that you trust
    and the next rank down make it a copy of the top rank with a few exceptions . (like rename / disband etc) and put people who deserve to be a fleet leader in that rank.

also i recommend that fleets use teamspeak. it helps to get to know your fellow fleet members. and makes people more then just text in a box.

and to wrap this up. quality over quantity. a big fleet is nice. but i would rather have a few good people then alot of questionable people with good people mixed in.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rule #1: Never promote someone else to the top rank.
    Rule #2: See Rule #1

You can make the 2nd rank almost equal to the top rank but for one tiny issue...they can't usurp the fleet!!!! :rolleyes:

This makes the most sense for fleet leaders that don't completely trust someone. My fleet currently has 3 fleet leaders and their alts. When I started, there was two fleet leaders and they promoted someone after a few months I have been there. The requirement to get to that rank seems to have been help the fleet for a significant period of time. I don't think there are many people that steal fleets that would spend months of hard work to do something like that. Don't have to worry about that or people stealing from my fleet unless someone hacks their account.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptics policy is, if the person had the rights and used them they will not get involved.

I can help I one of the people who run Omega Primary Brotherhood we are a very active fleet. With 480 members and a private TeamSpeak server.

Because we are short on leaders I can offer you leader position in our fleet.

Just send me forum email.

this is exactly the reason why fleets end up getting stolen in the first place. people need to be more wary as to who they let into a fleet.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Dang, my Fed one-person fleet of alts is sounding better and better with every one of these posts I read! :D

;)

pyryck how do you level a one man fleet isn't that hard with all the SB requirements?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know, we're all missing the point here, if you had actually been able to vet this guy before you promoted him even close to fleet command rank, it wouldn't have happened. I know it's difficult to do in a huge fleet, but you should only promote people you trust.

I don't know abut that some b people can be vetted and still TRIBBLE you (sarah palin)
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I still cannot fathom how this can happen to well setup and maintained fleet. The Shadow Sentinels (my fleet) have a ranking system that ensures all leadership positions are safe by dictating that only department leaders can hold them, as for myself, I am the only member of my rank, my council (one rank below me) have all the permissions needed to run the fleet in my absence without any of them being able to demote/kick me (though they can vote me out). On top of this all council members must be voted on by the council adding another level of security.

To the OP... I recommend in future you ensure your fleet permissions are set up properly and only one person holds the highest rank
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    More and more badly set up fleets complaining about being stolen, don't give a thief the keys to your car then complain they stole it, you gave them the keys.

Even a TRIBBLE account isn't a valid excuse, there is enough security with registered PCs and e-mails that if you got TRIBBLE that far, your security is down right negligent. If you are using the same passwords for games, email, and other websites that is a big problem on your end, not cryptic's.

Our fleet has a recruit rank to hold off bank thiefs, an officer rank for normal members, then 2 promotion ranks for people who do well in the fleet. There are 3 leadership ranks, one for the top and 2 for acting leaders. Only the most trusted people make it to 2nd to the top. If someone steals our fleet, it is my fault.

All people wanting leadership go into the lowest leadership rank, if they don't perform, or abuse any power, then bust them down and never put them up again. Making people leaders that want power is a mistake, making normal people leaders is a mistake. Most people can't lead, they follow, most people can't stay dedicated to the fleet, they will corrupt and abuse their position.

Real leaders aren't common, the idea of a committee of leaders is hilariously bad. Fleets aren't a government, trying to act like it might make people all warm feeling but its just a disaster waiting to happen.

Human greed destroys everything, promoting the greedy will destroy the fleet, being greedy will destroy the fleet.

If a leader has to force themselves to log on once/month to maintain leadership, its time to give it up, you aren't a leader. If there is no one you can trust, then you were never a leader to start with, just some guy who pressed buttons.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally I think it is wrong to have multiple fleet leaders.

I realize people think they need a backup leader, but in fact if the first one vanishes, you have better remedies than if a rogue takes over.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think we need to be careful about victim blaming when these things come up. For those not familiar with what victim blaming is, it's the "she was asking for it wearing that outfit" attitude. The perpetrator of a crime is always the one solely at fault. The victim is not to blame for being a victim. That said, sometimes there are things you can do to make yourself less of a target, but that doesn't mean if you do become a victim that it's your fault for not doing more. No security is perfect, and it takes a lot more effort to be secure than to find a vulnerability. The person on the defense has to be perfect with no flaws, while the perpetrator only needs to find one little mistake. At some point, you just have to recognize a certain amount of risk as inevitable, and place the blame firmly where it belongs -*the criminals.

So, yes. Good fleet theft prevention might include:

- Limiting kick and demotion powers to the absolute minimum number of people possible
    - Removing inactive fleet leaders regularly
    - Exercising good password policy on your account, and good computer security practice in general
    - Paying close attention to the fleet logs to monitor what the other leaders are doing and investigate suspicious behavior

And while everybody should take that stuff to heart, it's not perfect, and fleets can and will still get stolen. For those who have had their fleets stolen though, I have nothing but sympathy. Hopefully Cryptic will recognize that these issues are not just another matter of the GMs getting involved in player politics anymore, but represent the theft of actual real world monetary value. We need to give fleet owners the tools they need to manage and protect their fleets effectively so things like this don't happen as easily.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Personally I think it is wrong to have multiple fleet leaders.

I realize people think they need a backup leader, but in fact if the first one vanishes, you have better remedies than if a rogue takes over.
    Personally I think every Fleet should have a minimum of 3 Fleet Leaders and it requires a vote of 2 to remove someone from that position - and then the 2 most vote to raise someone else up to the 3rd position.

See, the problem is for every Fleet that gets stolen there's another Fleet where the leader's just abandoned the game and left the Fleet to flounder. The game needs multiple leaders as a check against both problems, IMO.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2013
    sorry but fleets don't need to be a democracy ive never seen a mmo make guilds a democracy unless the leader wanted it that way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    sorry but fleets don't need to be a democracy ive never seen a mmo make guilds a democracy unless the leader wanted it that way
    And thus a handful of times per year someone's going to be posting about losing their Fleet. :)

I'll just wait and see what Cryptic has planned for this in the future.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fleets cannot be stolen, they can only be given away.
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And thus a handful of times per year someone's going to be posting about losing their Fleet. :)

I'll just wait and see what Cryptic has planned for this in the future.

and im sure same thing happens on the world of war-craft forums and they do the same thing cryptic dose sorry this is the person fault and not cryptics place to fix human dumbness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
This discussion has been closed.