test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy Pack Opinion Thread

crowangel666crowangel666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
ok so not long before the new expansion comes out and before that there is an opportunity to purchase either a Legacy or Starter Pack providing goodies for a price.

Now here it is, after reading through other blogs and threads i have some go on to say that the legacy pack should be free to life timers or at least at a discount. To be honest i don't think that is unreasonable considering the price tag for buying lifetime, not to mention other money gone onto the account by purchasing c-store items. Of course some earn dilithium and buy through there. What do you think?

Others suggest that having this pack is yet another way for cryptic and its share holders to use and abuse the hype of a new expansion to gain profit and should not be here, but rather some sort of pack to arrive later into the game. And others have in there colourful terms expressed that STO isnt worth the money nor worth the F2P and that STO is just mere grind grind grind and oh my god this is soooooo sucks. Me i love STO though i believe with all the money they will be getting out of this and money earned they should hear its players and new features to STO.

Anyway its not my opinion its yours i want, and in hope cryptic will read. lol SO let them rip. WOOP
Post edited by crowangel666 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Legacy Pack is just a collection of C-Store items offered at a pre-order discount. You can buy all those items in the Pack for $125.00 or you can buy them on launch day for $181.00. It's just a C-Store bundle discount.

That has nothing to do with being an LTS or a Gold member. Do LTS get free ships from the C-Store? No. Do LTS get free Boffs from the C-Store? No. Do LTS get free Keys from the C-Store? No. Being an LTS has nothing to do with buying things from the C-Store.

LTS will get a free Liberated Borg Rom playable captain. That's what they get from buying an LTS now: a playable Fed or playable KDF.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »

... those who DO already have a LTS will be enraged.

I have the LTS, and I'm not enraged. The pack is fairly priced. I'll be picking it up, and kudos to marketing for making me want to try out the Romulans - something I wasn't sure I was going to do.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The legacy pack is basically a bundle of c-store items with a couple exclusives. (I think the titles are the exclusives.) That said, I'm not sure how much of it will get much use. Ignoring the fighter for a moment, half the ships are tier 1-4 and thus won't likely get much use due to the quick level progression. On the other hand, there are 4 tier 5 ships, and that's worth something. If I was rich I would probably buy the pack. But I'm not and have to be a bit more careful in what I buy. (I think it would have been nice if there was a smaller pack just for the late game content, which is what will get the most use.)
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Buy it if you want it. Don't buy it if you don't want it. Everything except the titles will be available separately. No point in whining about it.
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    I have the LTS, and I'm not enraged. The pack is fairly priced. I'll be picking it up, and kudos to marketing for making me want to try out the Romulans - something I wasn't sure I was going to do.

Indeed, I will echo your opinion. I'm also a Lifer, and I essentially feel indifferent. The only thing I want as a Lifer is my LB Romulan Captain and the 1,000 Day Veteran Ship. I could care less if they do not give me anything from the Legacy Pack for free. I did not pay for the Legacy Pack, I paid for a Lifetime Membership.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    Indeed, I will echo your opinion. I'm also a Lifer, and I essentially feel indifferent. The only thing I want as a Lifer is my LB Romulan Captain and the 1,000 Day Veteran Ship. I could care less if they do not give me anything from the Legacy Pack for free. I did not pay for the Legacy Pack, I paid for a Lifetime Membership.
    Not to mention that 'Legacy' lifetime perks have yet to be announced...
    edited April 2013
    Not to mention that 'Legacy' lifetime perks have yet to be announced...

Indeed, and supposedly, they have a full blog to denote those perks, so chances are, there are at least a handful of them. ^_^
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Considering to buy or no, as a LTS then really need better info on LTS rewards and would expect to see a RA Ships as Chimera?

As some of the items seem to be related to what will be avaliable to LTS then holding off buying, if looking for sales especially from those who have put money in already I would hope some customer loyalty can be shown?

Adjusted discount for UK and LTS players would help with sales overall too. Half the ships I'm fairly meh about, as a long time Trek fan it tends to be the more 'classic' ships of interest.

Perhaps the non ship items could be bundled together as a pre-order character pack sale maybe?
  • nitrous82nitrous82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    LTS will get a free Liberated Borg Rom playable captain.

This is what I am curious about, where and when was it confirmed?? I don't care about a liberated borg Reman, I want a Liberated borg Romulan.
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This pack should just come with a lifetime subscription. Save the starter pack for lockboxes or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nazghoul68nazghoul68 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a lifetime member, and player since beta...I won't be upset about not getting the 'packs' for free. I do think that since they have released the details on those, that they should have the Lifetime perks released as well. Having the details on what is available to pre-purchase now, and not for what existing and devoted lifetime players perks will be, leaves me feeling a bit left out.
  • fringefan98fringefan98 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but do I have to buy something in order to create a Romulan character? Or are these packs just in game items?
    edited April 2013
    nitrous82 wrote: »
    This is what I am curious about, where and when was it confirmed?? I don't care about a liberated borg Reman, I want a Liberated borg Romulan.

In a recent interview (I think the one doneby STOked with Dstahl), he said that he 'believes' that LTS are getting Liberated Borg, last he checked.
    edited April 2013
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but do I have to buy something in order to create a Romulan character? Or are these packs just in game items?
    The packs are just bundles for items that will be in C-Store when LoR goes live. It has nothing to do with playing LoR. It's just a discount for people who want to buy all the extra Rom items before the system goes live.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2013
    nitrous82 wrote: »
    There will be an LTS FAQ coming out soon. It will list what perks that LTS will get with the Rom expansion.

Right now all we know is that there will eventually be a 1,000 Day Vet Reward Rom ship and that Dan stated he thinks there will be a Rom Liberated Borg captain available.

We'll know more soon.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Hey guys, I reverse engineered all the items in the pack prices.

BackEngineering the Legacy of Romulus Pack

Scorpion Fighter flyable shutle - 500 zen
    T'Varo Light Warbird - Tier 1 ship - 500 zen
    Dhael Warbird - Tier 2 ship - 750 zen
    Valdore Heavy Warbird - Tier 3 ship - 1000 zen
    D'ridthau Warbird - Tier 4 ship - 1500 zen
    T'Varo Warbird Retrofit - Tier 5 Ship - 2000 zen
    Dhelan Warbird Retrofit - Tier 5 ship - 2000 zen
    Mogai Warbird Retrofit - Tier 5 ship - 2000 zen
    D'deridex Warbird Retrofit - Tier 5 ship - 2500 zen

Playable Reman species - 600 zen

Liberated borg reman boff - 400 zen

Doff minipack - 250 zen

30 master keys 1/account 3375 zen (Math goof: They're valuing them at 3000 Zen, rather than the C store price of 3375)

Exclusive Items - 1100 zen

Reman "Nemesis" Uniform - 500 Zen
    Survivor of Romulus Title - 200 zen
    Survivor of Remus Title - 200 Zen
    Rihannsu Title - 200 Zen

Reverse engineering exclusive title prices via Starter Pack:

T'Varo Light Warbird - T1 ship - 500 zen
    T'Varo Warbird Retrofit - T5 ship - 2000 zen
    Liberated Borg Reman Boff - 400 zen

Thus:

Title: Surviver of Romulus approximately valued @: 200 zen.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    alarikun wrote: »

This. Exactly This.

I am also a Lifer. I see know reason why these C-store items should have anything to do with Lifetime Subs.

I can understand wanting to know about the Vet ship. What you are asking is "is it worth it for me to buy a C-store ship, if I am just going to use the free ship I get at 1000 days". Unfortunately, buzz is this question will probably go unanswered for now.

What I can not understand is this idea that as a lifer you are entitled to, as thecosmic1 pointed out, free C-store items because you pay for the game. You didn't get this before, why should you now.

Even though I don't know that I will be using it, The only thing I really am concerned about, is if there will be a Playable Romulan Lib borg. And all sources say it will happen.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just bought it because it will let me fly around in a T5 Valdore. That alone is worth $125 to me. Everything else is just glazing on the epohh.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm. Well now, even though I do love the Remans, I'm not too sure about it.

Most of the content looks like it'll be obtainable in the C-Store later on for dilithium.
    And while I'd hate to miss out on *any* potential chance for more Reman collectibles..
    To be honest, I'd rather go without untill a developer specifically annotates 'uniqueness.'

As in say for example: Reman Playability/Nemesis Uniform/DOFFs/Liberated Borg BOFF.
    To which would then be specificed as unique to just the pack, by a developer, or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Hmm. Well now, even though I do love the Remans, I'm not too sure about it.

Most of the content looks like it'll be obtainable in the C-Store later on for dilithium.
    And while I'd hate to miss out on *any* potential chance for more Reman collectibles..
    To be honest, I'd rather go without untill a developer specifically annotates 'uniqueness.'

As in say for example: Reman Playability/Nemesis Uniform/DOFFs/Liberated Borg BOFF.
    To which would then be specificed as unique to just the pack, by a developer, or not.
    Everything in the Legacy Pack will be in the C-Store except the purple DOFF 4-pack and the various titles.
  • perfectself82perfectself82 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm a lifetimer, and I think the pack is a pretty good deal for people who had planned to buy all those ships anyway.

I probably won't be picking it up, as I generally only pick up t4 and t5 cstore ships, but I nearly did buy it on impulse just because of the discount. If I hadn't just got myself a year sub to planetside 2 I probably would have picked it up without thinking twice about it.
    edited April 2013
    I'm a lifetimer, and I think the pack is a pretty good deal for people who had planned to buy all those ships anyway.

I probably won't be picking it up, as I generally only pick up t4 and t5 cstore ships, but I nearly did buy it on impulse just because of the discount. If I hadn't just got myself a year sub to planetside 2 I probably would have picked it up without thinking twice about it.
    I bought the Starter Pack. I might buy the Reman playable species - if I don't get a free one from the Rep System before LoR goes live. Other then that I'll just buy what I want from the C-Store later.
  • perfectself82perfectself82 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I bought the Starter Pack. I might buy the Reman playable species - if I don't get a free one from the Rep System before LoR goes live. Other then that I'll just buy what I want from the C-Store later.

If I don't get the Legacy pack I will be picking up the starter pack for sure. Just need to avoid getting murdered by my wife for spending so much money on games this month :D
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be blunt this whole thing over the legacy/starter packs and the LTS really emphasizes the fact that people need to learn to STFU and read something until they fully comprehend what they're reading, and THEN comment on it.

C-Store items and LTS have never had anything to do with each other (other than the fact you get a dil stipend you can save up to convert to zen), so why would they now? In the time I've been playing STO (when it went F2P), I've spent more money than what an LTS costs, simply because I've purchased everything seperately as I could afford it. Being on a fixed income means that sometimes you have to do things like that, that will cost you more in the long run, but make purchasing something possible. I mention this for two reasons, 1 to prevent the "you're not even a lifer so STFU" and because to be honest some lifers tend to forget EVERYONE that buys something helps contribute to the game, not just the lifers.

Now with all that out of the way, about the Legacy and Starter packs.

Good choice by Cryptic to have two different packs to choose from, but it almost feels like there should be a third choice in all that, one that is the middle ground between the two packs.

The Thunderchild with its point defense system console proved that lower tier ships can still be useful after you've surpassed their tier level, so I'm not surprised that they have a starter pack and lower tier ships in the legacy pack. If you're someone that hates the lockbox gamble, you can still sell the master keys that come with the legacy pack which will give you a good amount of ec towards a lockbox ship, so really there's the possibility of 5 endgame ships or 10 ships total.

Personally, I think if Cryptic leaves in availible long enough, that most people will go for the Legacy pack over the starter pack. Cryptic just has to realize that 125 dollars is a huge chunk of money for some people. Personally, I'm waiting until they release some ship stats before I decide to buy the pack or not, and not just the stats for the ships in the pack, but a side by side comparison of regular and c-store variations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TBH, I'll hold on to my $125 until I see more solid specs and some proof that will validate the hype. And PS: I am a LTS guy. I'm not mad, like "IMMA BEAT YOU TO PULP!!!" or "You Mad, Bro?" kind of mad. More like irritated when an ant crawls onto your 50 cent candy bar cause you left it out on the hot sun and you noticed it sort of irritated.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing I'm really curious about is the Scorpion fighter is a c-store item, so what shuttle do we get for free when playing a ROM?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    One thing I'm really curious about is the Scorpion fighter is a c-store item, so what shuttle do we get for free when playing a ROM?
    Don't know, but as the Roms don't actually do the Vault Mission until around level 40, and the 2800 Mission until after that, there's probably plenty of time to find out. :)
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    TBH, I'll hold on to my $125 until I see more solid specs and some proof that will validate the hype. And PS: I am a LTS guy. I'm not mad, like "IMMA BEAT YOU TO PULP!!!" or "You Mad, Bro?" kind of mad. More like irritated when an ant crawls onto your 50 cent candy bar cause you left it out on the hot sun and you noticed it sort of irritated.

you sir are a word smith well said
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • slipshottyslipshotty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm looking to purchase the $124.99 Legacy pack. Problem? I don't get paid until the 1st of May. Would any dev like to take my money?
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    slipshotty wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase the $124.99 Legacy pack. Problem? I don't get paid until the 1st of May. Would any dev like to take my money?

I doubt it's a problem. As it's a pre-order for the May 21 expansion, I'd expect you could pay as late as the 20th and get the bundle price.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)