test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Big Thread of Legacy of Romulus Questions

Comments

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    See, you even corrected me on the first point, and I'm GLAD! can I ask where you have seen this from an official source?

Ask Cryptic last month:

Q: (steveway) Will there be any additional upcoming benefits for lifetime subscribers?

Dstahl: Yes. The May update will have additional benefits and perks for all subscribers but we are not discussing what those are just yet.

I'm glad to see you are enthusiastic about the game, and understand the negativity. However, given the scope of this update I am going to stay positive for the time being. I am sure that backwards compatibility will not be perfect, but I don't need to think that they will miss everything.
  • nabuborianabuboria Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Ask Cryptic last month:

Q: (steveway) Will there be any additional upcoming benefits for lifetime subscribers?

Dstahl: Yes. The May update will have additional benefits and perks for all subscribers but we are not discussing what those are just yet.

I'm glad to see you are enthusiastic about the game, and understand the negativity. However, given the scope of this update I am going to stay positive for the time being. I am sure that backwards compatibility will not be perfect, but I don't need to think that they will miss everything.

Awesome, I only recently come back and have missed a multitude of ask crpytics, and other important bits and pieces.

I'm very enthusiastic about the game, just been stung many times so I withhold excitement until I get to see for myself what it is :P

I agree that backwards compat. will be an issue (hence the negativity) but the real issue is what will/wont be changed (some things may not even be relevant and at no fault to cryptic) for what ever list of reasons, another example of why I wait to see before excitement gets to me :P

I hope that we all get at least a little something of what we want individually and as a community. :)
    [SIGPIC] Element CKY Electric [/SIGPIC]
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Didn't even consider endgame! something else to speculate and discuss :)

could get interesting...

I believe that if you do some research you will find mention made of additional STFs coming with the Expansion. :)
    edited March 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    I believe that if you do some research you will find mention made of additional STFs coming with the Expansion. :)

Hopefully ones that hand out a good amount of Romulan Marks like the Omega ones do. I just can't chase bunnies much longer without losing my mind.
    edited March 2013
    I hope that we all get at least a little something of what we want individually and as a community. :)
    I think the real danger here is unrealistic expectations, and a few of the questions in the list really illustrate that - it looks like people have expectations that the RSR faction will for some reason be more powerful than the other two out of the gate. You have to spend millions in credits and xp to unlock the cool Rom weapons in the rep tree, but people are asking to get them for free while levelling up? It makes no sense, from a game design standpoint - people need to calm down and think objectively about comparing what you will get just for being Romulan to the two existing factions. They're going to be pretty much the same thing, maybe with a different flavor to them.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Will we have access to Romulan TOS, TAS(Both the standard and the captain's cloak thing), TNG (Neutral Zone style), TNG, DS9 (the best ones), and Nemesis style uniforms?

Oh in addition to this Romulans also need one Academy, Veteran, and Fleet uniform.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So does this finally mean we'll be able to customize the hideous Embassy (and Reman) Boffs?
  • jihashimojihashimo Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The big question here, since everyone just got the update. Is that are we going to have to pay for this expansion? Or is everyone geting it? In the past we got the expansions handed to us each season. Since I didn't see any of the updates applied to my already existing account, I'm going to assume that we're going to have to pay for this one...
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jihashimo wrote: »
    The big question here, since everyone just got the update. Is that are we going to have to pay for this expansion? Or is everyone geting it? In the past we got the expansions handed to us each season. Since I didn't see any of the updates applied to my already existing account, I'm going to assume that we're going to have to pay for this one...

Its going to be free. You can't see anything yet because it isn't being released until late May. As the page says.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited March 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    Its going to be free. You can't see anything yet because it isn't being released until late May. As the page says.

I am betting some of it will be paid, some free. But I will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like your very biased selection of questions. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Are the Hirogen enemies or allies of this particular faction of Romulans?

Can we get those Romulan PvP maps now?
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1- Will Romulans get bows, like their proto-romulan ancestor Legolas?
    2- Will Remans get to dual wield scimitars, like their proto-reman ancestor Drizzt Do'Urden?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Are the Hirogen enemies or allies of this particular faction of Romulans?

Can we get those Romulan PvP maps now?

If ground play on New Romulus is any indication, they are enemies. But really, it's whoever pays them the most.
    edited March 2013
    1- Will Romulans get bows, like their proto-romulan ancestor Legolas?
    2- Will Remans get to dual wield scimitars, like their proto-reman ancestor Drizzt Do'Urden?

I think ONE Scimitar would be enough, if Donatra is any indication. ;)
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When's beta start? Surely something like this needs at least two months of hard testing.
    edited March 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Oh in addition to this Romulans also need one Academy, Veteran, and Fleet uniform.

I am betting that the Rom uniforms seen on the Captain's Table are the Veteran unis. There are two variants, one with more thingamabobs hanging off it than the other, similar to how the KDF vet unis work. They look pretty damned awesome, I will enjoy watching my toon walk around in one.

We also need a 400-day shuttle, a 1000-day ship, a 900-day ship skin, and a couple extra com badge items. I am sure they have thought of all of that :rolleyes:
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We also need a 400-day shuttle, a 1000-day ship, a 900-day ship skin, and a couple extra com badge items. I am sure they have thought of all of that :rolleyes:

You mean ignoring it and being like 'It'll come soon (TM) right?"
    edited March 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    You mean ignoring it and being like 'It'll come soon (TM) right?"

I poke fun at them, but given what we have seen, I would not be shocked if most of what I mentioned is already done in May. The uniforms showed up a month or so ago, and they already mentioned the vet rewards in the last Ask Cryptic so we know they are at least on the radar and not completely forgotten or back-burnered. I will be pretty stoked if on launch day I can log in, put my vet uni on, claim my shuttle, and look forward to not only picking a new ship when I hit 50, but also have a DDH prototype to fly. If that happens, all the past sins will be forgiven and we can move on.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ughhh why does ever thread ever have to be so toxic about future sto updates. I believe pretty much everybody knows that cryptic in the past have hyped up things or said things that many thought was going happen.

Some of they said was going to happen but never did unfortunately they are probably very aware of that, which is why they have only said the current features which are a absolute coming to the expansion. For those who think the current cryptic would release Klingon's 1-20 with out content to back it up. Makes no business sense they want to attract and retain players not loose money in the long run. With free to play model you can't be so haphazard about player retention. When developers got to get paid.

Then others were just misunderstandings and simply possibilities rather then factual this is going to happen but people hold them to such a degree they make others including themselves believe they were promises...

They can only do so much, they deserve time off, they deserve a little more respect then they have been getting from the forums imo. Yes there are problems, and cryptic has some reputation issues to work on but they have been getting a lot better.

I personally would like ship balance concerns to be addressed before or at the may update. I also disagree with some of the things the lead developer said but I can't let my difference of opinion and experience, blind me to the fact that they are doing what they can to please their customers. I just hope they take balance feedback as seriously as they do lockbox feedback.

But I'm curious if the romulans are going to have 3 pack scimitar dreadnaught carrier. Or what they are going to do with scimitar. Perhaps some more remen based ships too :D
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps some more remen based ships too :D
    Wanna bet the difference between a Romulan and Reman ship is picking your color in the ship customizer? Green, or Grey-Green, take your pick!
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will Romulan Republic players start out in their own unique, new to the game, sector block (like Sirius for Feds and Omega Leonis for KDF)?
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My biggest concerns are:

1) Will we be able to play as RSE? or will we be stuck as 'freedom fighters' for the Romulan Republic? For me and likely many other folks, RSE is romulans, not reunificationists and freedom fighters.

2) How many playable species for characters and bridge officers will be available? Romulan and Reman I can see, but I can imagine it getting pretty ridiculous rather fast if we end up with as many options as the KDF and Feds...Romulans have always been rather xenophobic and isolationist, after all.
    edited March 2013
    My biggest concerns are:

1) Will we be able to play as RSE? or will we be stuck as 'freedom fighters' for the Romulan Republic? For me and likely many other folks, RSE is romulans, not reunificationists and freedom fighters.

2) How many playable species for characters and bridge officers will be available? Romulan and Reman I can see, but I can imagine it getting pretty ridiculous rather fast if we end up with as many options as the KDF and Feds...Romulans have always been rather xenophobic and isolationist, after all.

1. I'm fairly certain it is the Republic, as indicated by the information we have on the teaser site.

2. I hope it's more than just 2,and being as the romulans (republic) don't have much to go on they can't be so picky with who wants to be friends surely...
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will the awesome TOS uniforms be available, instead of just variants of the god-awful TNG uniforms?

Will haircuts be available that are NOT inspired by Larry, Moe, and Curly?

Will the Romulan ship interiors actually seem like a ship, a la "Face of the Enemy", instead of some hippy-dippy space-hotel? (Specifically thinking of the officer's wardroom here.)
    edited March 2013
    Will the awesome TOS uniforms be available, instead of just variants of the god-awful TNG uniforms?

Will haircuts be available that are NOT inspired by Larry, Moe, and Curly?

Will the Romulan ship interiors actually seem like a ship, a la "Face of the Enemy", instead of some hippy-dippy space-hotel? (Specifically thinking of the officer's wardroom here.)

As for hairstyles I don't think we will get much control, take a look at the vulcan options I'm fairy sure it will just be a cut and paste job (I've never actually looked at the vulcan options)

ship interiors I would imagine to be similar to what we have, so I'm not sure what your asking for exactly.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As for hairstyles I don't think we will get much control, take a look at the vulcan options I'm fairy sure it will just be a cut and paste job (I've never actually looked at the vulcan options)

ship interiors I would imagine to be similar to what we have, so I'm not sure what your asking for exactly.
    Vulcans have a rather robust hair selection, including a lot of ones that don't look very 'vulcan', so I don't think 'darkelfofficer' need worry about "Larry, Moe, and Curly" haricuts being the only ones available. Honestly, I'd be more worried about there beign a general absense of all of the TNG stuff he/she hates so much, considering the devs seem to be trying to move away from classic TNG-era ST Rommulans by emphasizing the presence of Rommies with long hair/bald heads, brown leather etc with most of the civilian rommulans and by giving the rommulans in the teaser and the background rommulan lady jacket-style uniforms more reminiscent of what Nero wore in that awful (IMO) movie than anything in TNG or DS9.

I will be sorely disappointed if the grey/silver uniforms are not an option for Rommulan Players.
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure they wont miss out on some cash-in opportunity, one being the silver uniform you mention (if it's not in game for free that is)

We just gotta wait it out and see, but speculation and guessing is awesome :cool:
    edited March 2013
    2. I hope it's more than just 2,and being as the romulans (republic) don't have much to go on they can't be so picky with who wants to be friends surely...
    I am hoping for a playable nanov race, personally.
    edited March 2013
    I am hoping for a playable nanov race, personally.

They look VERY similar to something out of another PWE game, so they already got the skin ready :P