test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's not going to be a romulan faction

Comments

• pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, only twenty minutes (from the time of this post) until the timer reaches zero and the rage about it NOT being a Romulan faction reveal commences.

Mind you, will be happy to be proven wrong - but I suspect that this may not be the case.

Just how hard does reality have to slap you upside the head before you accept the truth of it? :P
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    T-Minus 9 minutes from this post
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lots of naysayers going to be eating a heap load of crow today....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    edited March 2013
    naevius wrote: »

Nice sig i tried pressing my "I win" button but unfortunatley i dont have one and pressed the self destruct lol

Nice sig :)
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If you want to be the Debbie downer that's fine cryptic has earned it from you... But other players don't feel that way that's what makes us different ...like snowflakes.

Quite right - and I don't begrudge the players that welcome this announcement their excitement and enthusiasm.

My own has been tempered by three years of lackluster development, aggressive and exploitative monetization, cavalier disregard for established canon and intelligent, thoughtful possibilities for the IP and possibly most of all, by the near complete disregard of broken systems and long-standing bugs, of which, a major update like this can only worsen rather than improve.

And yet still I remain cautiously optimistic - because Star Trek deserves a better game than the one we have now and whilst there's still players willing to pay and play, perhaps some day we'll get that game.

But it won't be in May.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited March 2013
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    Lots of naysayers going to be eating a heap load of crow today....

Jolan'tru!

The crow population has taken a dangerous dip in their numbers this morning as proven by the amount of black feathers being dropped from the gaping mouths of naysayers gobbling them down. :)

p.s. WE MARCH! :D
    edited March 2013
    Pretty hard - I'm a natural born cynic!

Seriously though - I'm good eitherway. Will be pleased if it is the Romulan faction.

At this point will just be pleased to see the timer hit zero!

Ok get this guy some A&D ointment to help cure his cynic infliction make sure to quarantine with a bubble dome some shrink wrap and bubble wrap and seal it with duct tape.
    And put a roll in the bubble so he can have entertainment :)
  • malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    T-minus 3 minutes...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    3 minutes to go, and then... party time :)
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    Pretty hard - I'm a natural born cynic!

Seriously though - I'm good eitherway. Will be pleased if it is the Romulan faction.

At this point will just be pleased to see the timer hit zero!

I will admit to a bit of pessimistic lingering doubt over the last month or so, but I wouldn't let that temper my enthusiasm.

And now comes a heeluva lot of content being thrown at the players! :)
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    T-minus 1 minutes...
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    3 minutes to go, and then... party time :)

There had better be beer and naked women
    And by the end of the day there had better be even more women and naked beers :P
    edited March 2013
    Warpcore Breach in 45 seconds...
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    30 seconds!
    edited March 2013
    Boo-yah!!!

Romulan faction, CONFIRMED!!!!
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited March 2013
    Everybody gets a little something something! :)
    edited March 2013
    Hm - nothing about the Fed perspective on events though.

Well, there's the Tholian Reputation which I imagine will unlock a handful of Tholian missions - this 'expansion' isn't about the Feds though (or the KDF - they're only squeezing in the KDF 1-20 stuff because well - they sort of have to).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    anyone notice they're all wearing the wintercoats from Christmas?
  • krieshakriesha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Looks like finally KDF will also get low level content :)
  • aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OK, I'm going to come out in support of all those doubters because whilst the news is indeed intriguing, you fan-boys and girls need a reality check.

Yes, it's a Rom faction - 1-50 they say - same goes for the KDF. I was one of the skeptics - why? Because given Cryptic's track record of over-promising and under-delivering, even the thought of them attempting something this big seemed ridiculous.

And even now, what are we seeing exactly in the trailer? 3 identically-dressed Romulans, one environment that looks new, one that's built out of old environments, a few new ships and two old ones fighting with maybe some spiffy new power - and that's it.

If this was a 'complete' 1-50 faction I'd expect there to be a little more new stuff in the trailer but there isn't. Either because they don't want to show it yet or (cynic hat on) they haven't made it yet.

Same with the screengrabs - there's a lot of concept art in there (including the UI mockups) for something that's supposed to being going live in two months.

Stahl's only comment on the KDF regarding Season 8 is that 'the tutorial is being reworked' - other than that, I'm not expecting anything new for the KDF so if that 1-50 for the Klingons holds true then that tutorial's going to be smoke and mirrors fluff to get you to the point where you can start doing (old) Featured Episodes.

And whilst the Romulans will need a lot of new stuff (from Nomulus maybe?) to flesh out their early levels, you can bet the Featured Episodes will be part of their levelling progress too - and for KDF levels 20-50, the FE's plus a handful of unique missions are all they get.

But most of all, understand that this faction - the Romulans - isn't for the players they have - it's for the players they want - it'll be big and splashy and make for good coverage, the only question is, once you dig beneath the surface, will there be any substance?

Cryptic's track record says no. But I like this game, and I want it to succeed so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dude salvage your pride. You lost. You are wrong. You just need to accept that and admit it.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dude salvage your pride. You lost. You are wrong. You just need to accept that and admit it.

Ah the naivety of youth...
    edited March 2013
    Ah the naivety of youth...

If you don't like the game then leave. It is after all a game. That way those of us who like it won'y have to listen to the infantile whining of the trolls who barge into every thread.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

You are right. It will be just like the Federation dozens of missions, costumes and ships.
    edited March 2013

And you're exactly the kind of person P.T. Barnum was talking about :)

(well, Hannum actually but I doubt you'd know who he was).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    If you don't like the game then leave. It is after all a game. That way those of us who like it won'y have to listen to the infantile whining of the trolls who barge into every thread.

Or... you can embrace the concept of IDIC, and tolerate people who have opinions that differ from your own. Those of us who are critics of Cryptic and their actions for the past 3 years, have every bit as much right to be here, as you do.

I reserve judgment on the new faction until i've done some Tribble playtesting, and it's actually launched in May. My primary concern isn't the new "shiny", but moreso that they actually hold true to their promise of letting KDF players start at level 1, with their own leveling content.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited March 2013
    And you're exactly the kind of person P.T. Barnum was talking about :)

It's a game if you don't like it leave. I can't make it any more clear. You and your fellow trolls, naysayers and cynics were wrong. This is not an opinion it;s a flat out fact.
    edited March 2013
    It's a game if you don't like it leave. I can't make it any more clear. You and your fellow trolls, naysayers and cynics were wrong. This is not an opinion it;s a flat out fact.

Most impressive. So you've actually playtested the new "expansion", and know exactly how it plays, what it contains etc? If you haven't, then you know just as much as the rest of us, which is to say, jack s--t!!!
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • forcardassia6forcardassia6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OK, I'm going to come out in support of all those doubters because whilst the news is indeed intriguing, you fan-boys and girls need a reality check.

Yes, it's a Rom faction - 1-50 they say - same goes for the KDF. I was one of the skeptics - why? Because given Cryptic's track record of over-promising and under-delivering, even the thought of them attempting something this big seemed ridiculous.

And even now, what are we seeing exactly in the trailer? 3 identically-dressed Romulans, one environment that looks new, one that's built out of old environments, a few new ships and two old ones fighting with maybe some spiffy new power - and that's it.

If this was a 'complete' 1-50 faction I'd expect there to be a little more new stuff in the trailer but there isn't. Either because they don't want to show it yet or (cynic hat on) they haven't made it yet.

Same with the screengrabs - there's a lot of concept art in there (including the UI mockups) for something that's supposed to being going live in two months.

Stahl's only comment on the KDF regarding Season 8 is that 'the tutorial is being reworked' - other than that, I'm not expecting anything new for the KDF so if that 1-50 for the Klingons holds true then that tutorial's going to be smoke and mirrors fluff to get you to the point where you can start doing (old) Featured Episodes.

And whilst the Romulans will need a lot of new stuff (from Nomulus maybe?) to flesh out their early levels, you can bet the Featured Episodes will be part of their levelling progress too - and for KDF levels 20-50, the FE's plus a handful of unique missions are all they get.

But most of all, understand that this faction - the Romulans - isn't for the players they have - it's for the players they want - it'll be big and splashy and make for good coverage, the only question is, once you dig beneath the surface, will there be any substance?

This is exactly how I feel. I'm not even going to allow myself to get remotely excited for this expansion until I actually see / get to play some of the content.